PDA

View Full Version : My mom is having thyroid problems...

DJFyrewolf36
12-13-2013, 08:36 PM
...and I'm worried. *sigh* I know I haven't been around a lot but I could use some reassurance, I guess. She told me that an ultrasound revealed that she had cysts on her thyroid. She has to go in later this month to discuss where to go from here. Has anyone else dealt with this at all?

Thanks for listening.

Karen
12-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Do not worry, kiddo. I have been through that exact scenario, and am now on the other side. I have within the past year, been diagnosed, had ultrasound, then biopsy, then ended up having a thyroidectomy in June, so now have a pink "spare smile" at the base of my neck.

Because I am old - over 45 - they recommended I do the follow-up treatment with radioactive iodine, which was pretty un-exciting - like drinking lukewarm watered down Kool-Aid through a narrow straw. The worst part was dealing with not touching or being near people - annoying, but nothing like most cancer patients go through.

Karen
12-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Ask me any questions you want! Meant to put that first!

DJFyrewolf36
12-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Thank you Karen and thanks to those that sent me PMs. It's hard since I can't get down to visit. It's been over 5 years since I've seen my parents and hearing news like this really shakes me up. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions after mom's appointment.

Catty1
12-14-2013, 10:16 AM
I have nodules on my thyroid but was told they were nothing to worry about. I hope your mom's are the same thing.

HUGS and prayers going out.