PDA

View Full Version : Happy Sinter Klaas Day!

phesina
12-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Cheers! Merry merry!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

cassiesmom
12-06-2013, 03:01 PM
When I was a child we always celebrated this day. My mom is Czech and the saint is called Mikuláš. In my stocking I would get little gifts like Barbie doll clothes, lip gloss, barrettes or hair ribbons, and always an orange and a handful of Christmas candy. I remember one year when I did get coal in my stocking - I was crushed! my friends never understood why we didn't "do stockings" on Christmas morning. Now that my nephew and nieces are grown, we don't do it anymore. My mom and I quietly exchange little gifts to mark the day, though and I did buy a box of clementines in place of the oranges.

My mom and dad have two pickle ornaments for their Christmas tree, one for each of my youngest nieces to find. We started that when they were 4 or 5. They usually got something they could have fun with on the spot, like stickers, markers or colored pencils. That went by the wayside for awhile when they thought it wasn't cool, but then they decided to bring it back for each other a few years ago since they're the same age. Now the gifts include CDs, funky socks, ear buds, or yummy scented soaps.

Karen
12-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Aww, nice to share other cultures with us! So glad the next generation is continuing the tradition!

mrspunkysmom
12-06-2013, 09:04 PM
When I was a child we always celebrated this day. My mom is Czech and the saint is called Mikuláš. In my stocking I would get little gifts like Barbie doll clothes, lip gloss, barrettes or hair ribbons, and always an orange and a handful of Christmas candy. I remember one year when I did get coal in my stocking - I was crushed! my friends never understood why we didn't "do stockings" on Christmas morning. Now that my nephew and nieces are grown, we don't do it anymore. My mom and I quietly exchange little gifts to mark the day, though and I did buy a box of clementines in place of the oranges.

My mom and dad have two pickle ornaments for their Christmas tree, one for each of my youngest nieces to find. We started that when they were 4 or 5. They usually got something they could have fun with on the spot, like stickers, markers or colored pencils. That went by the wayside for awhile when they thought it wasn't cool, but then they decided to bring it back for each other a few years ago since they're the same age. Now the gifts include CDs, funky socks, ear buds, or yummy scented soaps.

The coal was mean.

Karen
12-06-2013, 09:24 PM
The coal was mean.

Nah - coal is valuable, it can be burned for heat, or sold for money!