PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know anything about cockatiels?

twiggie542
12-13-2002, 08:35 AM
coz i am hand feeding a baby cockatiel and i am going on holiday soon so how long till i can stopp feeding it?

tatsxxx11
12-13-2002, 09:50 AM
Several members here have Cockatiels, Logan among them. Maybe she'll see this. Sorry, but I don't have the answer for you. Could you perhaps ask the breeder/shop where you got her/him how long they must be hand fed?? Maybe a breeder/knowledgeable bird person could care for the baby while you're away?

popcornbird
12-13-2002, 10:04 AM
I have cockatiels but I got them when they were already weaned, so I've never really had handfeeding experience. I wouldn't advise you to go on vacation while your baby needs to be handfed, because at this age, he/she cannot eat on her own, so unless you find an experience breeder, or someone who knows how to handfeed birds well, I think leaving the baby could be risky. As for the age you stop, I think you gradually teach them how to eat on their own until they get it and no longer need handfeeding. Be sure to stay with your fethered baby until she knows how to eat on her own, and if you HAVE to go, I would advise leaving her with an experienced hand feeder, or boarding her with an avian vet who is willing to handfeed her. Here's an article about handfeeding.

http://www.acstiels.com/handfeed.html

Hope this helps.

catland
12-13-2002, 10:58 AM
You might want to also post this in the Pet General section. There might be more bird-owners there. Good luck.

twiggie542
12-14-2002, 07:46 AM
thanx all off u, u have all been really great helps!

i think i found the answer by checking with my pet shop owner and he said it will start to wean at 8 weeks and be feeding by itself at 10 weeks

i am only going away for a week (and i have to go:rolleyes: )
so i have decided to take it with me and devote myself to it the whole time.
i have checked to see if it ok with the place i am staying at's owner and he said it was fine. (i found out he too has cockatiels)
and so he had a soft spot.hehehe.

p.s. do any of u have an idea of what i could name it (they can be male or female names and unisex ones too, coz i have no idea what sex it is).

thanx...megan!
:) :) :)