PDA

View Full Version : ohio cruelty laws

joycenalex
12-13-2002, 06:00 AM
are going to be increased. the ohio house and senate have sent to gov. taft SB221 (full text @ www.legislature.state.oh.us, SB221). the current law is a $100 fine. the change would be a $750 fine, 90 days or both. govenor tafts' office needs to hear for the animal lover community that he should sign this bill. the phone call took me all of 3 minutes. the aide didn't even ask if i was an ohio resident. the number is 614-466-3335, 9-5 est. thank you

lizbud
12-13-2002, 11:01 AM
joycenalex,

I live in Indiana, but I'll definately make the call if you
think it would influence the Gov. to sign the bill.Is Gov.
Taft running for re-election soon? It's some progress that
that the bill made it through both house & senate. I couldn't
get the link to open so I didn't read the text of the bill, but
I hope the wording doesn't cause any problems getting it
signed into law. Would be a great step for Ohio's animal
lovers.

Cincy'sMom
12-13-2002, 04:06 PM
I do hope Gov. Taft signs the bill and I will call. Unfortunatly, Gov. Taft has turned his back on the animals before. A request was made this past fall for him to offically declare Oct. 13-19 ohio's week for the animals, sponsored by the Ohio Humane Education (http://www.ohiohumaneeducation.org/) Association. I admit I don't know all the details, but in talking with the Lucas county rep to this group, she was led to believe he would do this, then about a month prior refused to do so. Hopefully this time he will come through. (Ohio residents can sign a petetition for this bill at the site I posted above.)

Cinder & Smoke
12-13-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
on Pet General "Ohio Cruelty Laws" (http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18444)

We in Ohio may be coming out of the Dark Ages and be starting to take Animal Cruelty more seriously.
It's about time! :mad:

The link Joyce gave won't work for me, but I've found some that seem to work and give information on the legislation. Best I can tell is that both the Ohio Senate and House have passed the same bill (SB 221) and it is now in a Clerk's Office being prepared for submission to Governor Taft. He has 10 business days, after he receives it, to sign it into law; not act upon it and allow it to become law without his signature; or veto it.

Links with Information on SB 221, titled "Companion Animal Abuse/Humane Agent Training", can be found at:

Summary of SB 221 - a readable explanation of the Bill's Provisions (http://lsc.state.oh.us/analyses/ans124.nsf/All%20Senate%20Bills%20and%20Resolutions/559e)

How to CONTACT Governor Taft page (http://www.state.oh.us/gov/section7-0.htm) which gives:

Gov Taft E-mail = [email protected]
and his phone number = (614) 466-3555

Pssst, Joyce ~ you got a lil typo in the number - too many 3's, not enuff 5's. :p

A slightly dated story is on the Humane Society of the US site:
HSUS story about Ohio's legislation (http://www.hsus.org/ace/13333)

PLEASE! If you Live in Ohio ~
Write an e-mail to Governor Taft...

URGE him (politely) to sign SB 221 when he receives it; and add a little background on yourself and your FurKids - try to let him know WHY you support the Bill and want his support for it's passage. Do it NOW ~ he should have the bill on his desk before Christmas.

And MoosMom ~
Although it doesn't insure jail time and fines for abusers on the first offense;
it DOES make animal abuse/cruelty a FELONY on the Second occurrence.

joycenalex
12-13-2002, 06:06 PM
dear fred, cinder and smoke, thanks for correcting my typo...when i got to work today, i called that number and got some poor lady who isn't the govenor. my face is red.:eek: :eek: . that poor lady!!! and lizbud, he was just reelected last month, so the more people they hear from at the CORRECT number the better. woofs, joyce and the furry ones

lizbud
12-14-2002, 11:34 AM
Sorry I didn't see the earlier postings on this topic
before:confused: . Thanks Cinder & Smoke for the extra
info on the subject.I did read the bill language & think
it would be a huge step forward. How many other states
tie child abuse cases with animal abuse cases by having
both governmental agencies cross report? The only lobby
against this bill would likely come from agricultural interests
because the bill addresses both companion animals like cats
& dogs and also farm animals bound for market.Heaven help
you if you would suggest that keeping cows or sheep, etc.,
penned in a freight car for longer then 28 hours without
food, water or rest is inhumane.

Thanks for the corrected phone number, I will make the call
and wish Ohio the best of luck.

Cinder & Smoke
12-17-2002, 04:24 PM
UPDATE: SB 221 *IS* on Ohio Governor Taft's desk awaiting his signature or veto. The Ohio House & Senate agreed and passed the same versions of this Bill on December 10, 2002.

I found out today the Bill is being "reviewed" by the Agriculture Dept to determine if any language in the Bill will negatively impact farmers. The Governor will look at Agriculture's report AND the Public Input he gets via Phone & E-mail - then make his decision to sign or veto the Bill.

Ohio Residents: STILL TIME to voice your opinion -
PLEASE! contact the Governor's Office via Phone or E-mail (see earlier post, above) to voice your Support and URGE Gov Taft to Sign this Bill into Law!!

lizbud
12-18-2002, 02:49 PM
Cinder & Smoke,

"I found out today the Bill is being "reviewed" by the Agriculture Dept to determine if any language in the Bill will negatively impact farmers. The Governor will look at Agriculture's report AND the Public Input he gets via Phone & E-mail - then make his decision to sign or veto the Bill."quoted by C & S.

Indiana is considered an "Agricultural " state like Ohio.We here
in Indy had suprising strong support for increasing a 1st
conviction of Animal Cruelty to a Felony, instead of waiting
for the 2nd conviction to raise the level of penality from misdemeanor to felony. The bill never became law because
of intense lobbying by the "farm bureau interests" in Indiana.
We did however get stronger penalties exacted for people
convicted of animal fighting, or owning equipment used to
train animals to fight. Some progress anyway...but not enough.

People have to find a way of separating Companion Animals
from typical farm or market animals in the wording of laws.?