PDA

View Full Version : Random question for Everyone!

Karen
11-22-2013, 03:32 PM
It mystifies me why so many ads and spam messages pop up. Would you, personally ever click on a spam or an add that promises "X tips to ..." whether it be burn body fat, fight whatever evils, etc? Who clicks on them? Someone must, don't you think? I see ads in Facebook now (I know they are trying to make money ...) but who is gonna lick on a photo of a spotty banana posted by some one or something they do not know????

phesina
11-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Well, I certainly wouldn't, and I don't think anyone I know would.

But..

As ..someone (Mark Twain?) once said, "Nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American public." (I'm sure this applies for other nationalities, too.)

Alysser
11-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Sometimes I have clicked on them by accident, but never would I do it on purpose. ;) I bet you a bunch of teens wanting to loose weight click on those types of things. I don't know many others who would.

lizbud
11-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Well, I certainly wouldn't, and I don't think anyone I know would.

But..

As ..someone (Mark Twain?) once said, "Nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American public." (I'm sure this applies for other nationalities, too.)

Very apropos phesina.:)

Taz_Zoee
11-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Not me! On Facebook it even names your friends who have liked this or that. I don't even believe that! Unless I actually speak to that person directly and get confirmation from them, I'd never click on anything like that.
My brother works in IT tech and he has taught me not to click on things like that. Even here at work, I'm scared to do updates sometimes. I always double check with the IT person first.

But yes, there MUST be people that do click them. Otherwise what would be the point of putting them there?

Catty1
11-22-2013, 05:54 PM
This looks like a junky website, but I installed it and NO problems - and a ton of free space on Facebook!

http://www.fbpurity.com/

Asiel
11-22-2013, 07:31 PM
I don't open anything unless it's something or someone I know personally.

Roxyluvsme13
11-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Nope! I hate ads though, they drive me nuts.

Pinot's Mom
11-23-2013, 07:29 AM
I am very suspicious of emails, FB postings, ads, etc. that promise those things or just look like junk. I don't touch any of them.

redbird
11-23-2013, 12:44 PM
LOL Karen, the spotted banana thing made me laugh and yes I have seen it. No, I never click on those ads, I think they are ridiculous and not facts. I wish there was a way to stop them altogether.

Litterati
11-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Not in this world - unless inadvertently - and then click out ASAP LOL.

smokey the elder
11-25-2013, 09:45 AM
The weirder thing is the cookies that follow you around; suggesting that you click on a vendor of a product or service you were legitimately evaluating (Keurig, Petmeds.com, etc.)

Jessika
11-25-2013, 09:20 PM
I don't EVER click those kinds of ads... but obviously there are people that do, otherwise... why would they have them?

In fact I downloaded an adblocker for my browser so I can live in blissful ignorance.

issop
11-26-2013, 06:31 AM
I goto a news paper site and start to read a story about something then the screen flashes and up pops a add covering up the story so I cant read it so I close and reopen the browser and find the story again and the ad reappears so I never get to read the story cause its covered up by a popup. and the browser is supposed to have a popup filter but it fails a lot of the times.. the only way to get rid of popup is either click it or forget it. and then sometime the whole screen will slide off the screen when I try to read the headline and it slide all over the place over and over and over.. like cnn is bad at slider adds. and when you readjust to the story again it slides more or a popup. if I want a ad they should have a add site not cover up what your reading or trying to read ..I don't mind ads on the screen but quit covering up what I am trying to read. .. thank you for reading.. pat n Kerrie 20131126.0431

NoahsMommy
11-26-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm w you guys, I don't go near those ads. They just scream 'virus' or 'malware'.

Miss Z
11-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Any adverts I see that relate to learning 'secrets' of how to do X (in which X is lose weight, get rid of stretch marks, yada yada yada) I consider as bait for spyware-naive web browsers. :p

In all honesty, I don't find tailored advertising that irritating. On facebook, some adverts relate to things useful to me owing to the information I have on my profile, and I've actually come across a couple of good veterinary and travel sites that way. My father works with several businesses who employ social media advertising and it makes a huge difference - it's equivalent to having a store-front in some global shopping mall!

I am terrible for browsing clothing websites, however, and the cookies tend to follow me around for several weeks, just to torture me with images of that dress that would-look-oh-so-lovely-but-is-oh-so-pricey... ;)