PDA

View Full Version : Cats and fire

Rocky'smomma
12-12-2002, 11:01 AM
I was just wanting to ask about this because Rocky my 5 month old kitty has no fear of fire.....we have a wood stove in the back of our house and it has been very cold lately so we use it qquite often at night ok.., well, he will go right up to it lke it doesn't even phase him and if it weren't for me grabbing him away he would probably go right in it...mabe not in it but too close where he would get burned...I know he must like the warmth to it because he loves to sleep in very warm places,,(example: on the vents or on any tv in the house..) Is this normal or will he eventually becaome aware that fire will burn him or hurt him and have a sense not to go near it? It scares me, and I just wasn't sure if it was normal or not..Thanks ahead of time!

zookeeper
12-12-2002, 11:05 AM
If my cat is any indication it is normal. We have a wood burning fireplace in our livingroom and when we have it going Cam will sit as close as he can without singing himself. He used to try to get closer but I guess he realised that he cannot.

Yourkitten is just trying to get to the warmtha dn will realise when it is a good time to stop.

catland
12-12-2002, 11:08 AM
maybe you could get him a little stool or chair or box or pillow to sit on near the fire. That way, he wouldn't be too close for your comfort, but he could still enjoy the heat.

Rocky'smomma
12-12-2002, 11:09 AM
I will try that tonight and see what he does...that is a good idea! I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

smokey the elder
12-14-2002, 09:51 AM
Diva loves to lie on the hearth in front of the fireplace. Because of her spastic condition, I have to watch her to make sure she doesn't fall INTO the fire. But once she flops down she's OK.

My mom's cat Ebony loved to sleep under our wood stove. His fur would actually get too hot to touch and I thought it would spontaneously combust!!:eek:

HoRsELUvR
12-15-2002, 01:22 PM
My cats also love lying by the fire.Don't worry,their instincts will tell them not to get close enough to get burned.

Glacier
12-17-2002, 12:15 AM
We heat our house exclusively with wood. The very first winter we were in this house, Pete jumped up on the hot stove for a split second. He spent the next half hour racing around the house as fast as he could. His pads were singed but nothing major. Vet just gave us some cream to put on them. He was fine in a few days. Not one of the cats has ever gone up there since. I think Pete warned them all!!

We also try to keep a couple pots of water on the stove at all times--limites landing space should someone decide to make the leap.

12-17-2002, 09:33 AM
Inka and Maya love to watch the fireplace ! They sit as close as they can on the tower or in their cat-bed !

12-17-2002, 09:35 AM
Inka even fell asleep , while watching the flames !!

NoahsMommy
12-17-2002, 02:38 PM
Those pictures of Inka and Maya by the fire are so cute!! :)

Our cats are curious about fire....in the candles I have around the apartment. One "too close" sniff and they learn. ;)

AmberLee
12-17-2002, 07:11 PM
When I'd first brought Cassy and Sassy (in the pre-Olivia days) home as kittens, I had no idea how fast on their paws they were. I was putting pork chops into the oven and as I was closing the oven door, to my astonishment, both little fur balls hopped in after the meat! I grabbed them out with no damage to anything but my nerves, still it freaks me out in retrospect!

:eek: :rolleyes: :eek: