PDA

View Full Version : Ugliest Animal??

gini
12-12-2002, 10:18 AM
Some animals are simply "less attractive" than our pups and kittens and birds.

We spend so much time oohing and awwing over our pets that live with us. As I was watching the possum in my back yard the other night, it made me wonder which was the ugliest animal in my mind. This poor possum got my vote.

What do you think? What is your "least" favorite?

I think I will edit this post to say that this is meant all in fun!!

Barbara
12-12-2002, 10:27 AM
I know it's very irrational. But:eek: :eek: :eek: spiders. And:mad: :mad: :mad: cockroaches.

All Creatures Great And Small
12-12-2002, 10:31 AM
Uh-oh; this started some feistiness on another thread about rats!:D Like the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and when you love a pet, you believe it to be the most beautiful in the world. That said......my least favorite would be anything in the insect family, followed by anything in the crustacean family. I don't mind reptiles, but I wouldn't want to own any. I like most rodents, but I think the hairless rats are scary-looking. I don't really care for birds; although I think a lot of them are very beautiful, their beaks and feet kind of freak me out. I've never owned a dog, but I like dogs and I tend to act as goofy over them as I do about cats, with the baby-talk and extreme petting when I meet them. I TOTALLY LOVE CATS! There are some breeds of dogs and cats that I don't find particularly attractive, but I won't list any of them here. As far as wild animals - well, I haven't seen too many in my lifetime, other than in books, but yes, those poor opossums are really homely.

Cataholic
12-12-2002, 10:33 AM
I love all animals, and think, in their own way, all are beautiful...at the very least, to their own species.

12-12-2002, 10:38 AM
xx

Logan
12-12-2002, 10:42 AM
Oh, Gini, I have to agree with you. Having had to deal with a possum up close and personal, I think they are terribly ugly (frightening, ugly teeth). I am a lover of all animals, but I definitely prefer my possums, somewhere far away from me!! :o

zippy-kat
12-12-2002, 10:45 AM
Hands Down, MONKEYS!!!! *bleck*

Gimme a 'possum anyday!

aly
12-12-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I love all animals, and think, in their own way, all are beautiful...at the very least, to their own species.

I agree!!!! :D

I once took 12 baby possums to the wildlife rescue here and they were the cutest little things. I got so attached to them in that 30 minute drive, I was tempted to slip one in my pocket to take home, hehe :)

In high school, I was walking home at night from babysitting and saw one of the neighboorhood cats on my driveway. They were always hanging out at my house cause I fed them and sat out with them. Well I bent down to pet him and noticed his hair felt really weird. Then I heard a weird sound and at that point my dad turned on the porch light to see if I was coming. I noticed it was not a cat but a POSSUM! I screamed and ran away. But my whole family cracks up laughing whenever we remember it.

12-12-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
Oh yeah, I forgot about monkeys - I know people keep them as pets and love them dearly, but they kind of give me the willies too:o .

NoahsMommy
12-12-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat

Gimme a 'possum anyday!
My thoughts EXACTLY!!! I hate monkeys!!!

I would also have to add anything in the bug family.....eeeep! :eek:

luckies4me
12-12-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
I've wondered about this myself, how something that is 1/1000th the size of me could instill such absolute terror and ridiculous behavior in me when I see it! (My whole family does the "bee dance", when a stinging insect is near us, with the flailing arms and the screeching:o :D :p ) I finally decided that I would try to remain still when there's a bee or wasp near me, and I now can control the "bee dance", but I am still very afraid. I used to be afraid of spiders (my mom is PETRIFIED of them), but since they move so slow, I know they can't "get me" before I get them. I am so glad I have never experienced a cockroach close up, but we do have centipedes here, in the basement, and those things make me scream and do the "centipede dance" because they move so dang fast and you can't catch them to "euthanize" them!!!! So then you know they're lurking somewhere, waiting to scare you again...........:eek:

OMH! I hate centipedes, they are also poisonous and hurt very bad if one gets ahold of you. In 29 Palms, we had this huge one crawl out of our bathrub!:eek: They run like hell, as it was so hard to catch and we were very afraid of it biting us. It ended up running into my pants and we couldn't find it for about 30 minutes. We looked everywhere, of course the pants were off. We started stepping on the pants to try to kill it. You would have thought we had stepped on it but no!We shook the pants out and there it came running at us again!:eek: We eventually killed it, thank god. It was so terrifying.

We also had scorpions in our garage! When we first moved there we didn't know there were scorpions and we would walk out into the garage barefoot, never turning the light on. Well one night we happened to turn it on and what do you know, there were scorpions everywhere! Tiny little fast things. We killed them with a shovel. I can hold a scorpion in the petstore (the blue ones that glow under a black light) but in the wild they freak me out. I was sad after my bf squished them but relieved at the same time.

I used to be afraid of spiders but for the past month I have been forcing myself to pick up the nastiest of them that come into the house. It saddens me to kill a creature just because it scares me, when all they want to do is come inside for some warmth. So I have been catching them with my hands and letting themgo. Haven't been bit since and now i have more respect for them because contrary to what I thought, they are actually very timid gentle creatures. I don't know if I would pick up a black widow, or brown recluse. If those bit me I wouldn't come back, lol. Luckily I have studied spiders in Oregon and know which is poisonous and which is not, and therfor do not have to be afraid if they give me a little nibble or two, although it does sometimes hurt. :eek:

luckies4me
12-12-2002, 11:35 AM
As for possums, we used to keep them as pets and I have also kept cockroaches too. Not the German ones, but the hissing cockroaches. I think they are the coolest thing. :D I also keep praying mantids and stick insects. I have pics, want to see? Stick insects and prangys are so cute!:D I call mantids prangys. I will be getting new prangys in the spring time when my eggs hatch. So hopefully if my cats don't wat the egg sack I will have another prangy, Prangy the Sixth! Oh how I miss them. :(

I actually kept my female alive to February, they usually die around September/October after they mate. But she stuck around a long time. The more exotic varieties can live up to a few years. They usually sell them at PetCo.

luckies4me
12-12-2002, 11:38 AM
You can see a picture of one of our rehabbed possums in the Pet Rescue thread. :) There also a few other pictures too. Monkeys scare me too, but I don't think they are THAT ugly, just freaky looking.

lynnestankard
12-12-2002, 12:08 PM
Without doubt the ugliest are - warthogs and crocodiles. Ugh.

Lynne

catland
12-12-2002, 12:29 PM
I think that the ugliest animal is a human that is filled with hate.:(

aly
12-12-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by catland
I think that the ugliest animal is a human that is filled with hate.:(

SO true!!!!

Twisterdog
12-12-2002, 01:48 PM
I don't like insects, they creep me out. Not that some of them are particulary ugly .... just creepy. Although ... if any of you have ever had the misfortune to see a Jeruselem Cricket (aka Child of the Earth, aka Sand Puppy) you will surely agree with me that they are THE ugliest thing on the planet AND they creepiest. In fact, I don't think they are from this planet at all ... I think they are probes from an alien race! BLECK!

I also think cows are ugly ... I don't like animals that can stick their tongues up their own noses, nope. I think some big monkeys are ugly, like baboons and gorillas ... but those little spider monkeys and gibbons are cute.

And ... if you think about it ... humans are a rather odd animal ... with our naked bodies, and hair on the tops of our heads. ;)

Kfamr
12-12-2002, 01:51 PM
I thought i'd be first to say Human..... But yes, Human is indeed the ugliest.

Also, another breed of animals which is rather strange and ugly is the "KayAnn". Researches haevn't found out what breed of animal IT exactly is yet.

aly
12-12-2002, 02:20 PM
Hehehe KayAnn thats NOT true, but made me laugh!

Soledad
12-12-2002, 02:21 PM
Geez! I think humans are beautiful! I guess I'm alone on this one.

My vote for ugliest animal would have to be those baboons with the inflamed pink butts! YUCK.

luckies4me
12-12-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I don't like insects, they creep me out. Not that some of them are particulary ugly .... just creepy. Although ... if any of you have ever had the misfortune to see a Jeruselem Cricket (aka Child of the Earth, aka Sand Puppy) you will surely agree with me that they are THE ugliest thing on the planet AND they creepiest. In fact, I don't think they are from this planet at all ... I think they are probes from an alien race! BLECK!

I also think cows are ugly ... I don't like animals that can stick their tongues up their own noses, nope. I think some big monkeys are ugly, like baboons and gorillas ... but those little spider monkeys and gibbons are cute.

And ... if you think about it ... humans are a rather odd animal ... with our naked bodies, and hair on the tops of our heads. ;)

OMG! I hate Jeruselem Crickets! We call them potatoe bugs here. Their like giant mutant grasshoppers! Discusting. I am so scared of them. THey are poisonous too right?

Nomilynn
12-12-2002, 02:57 PM
I think monkeys are pretty gross - I would have to say I think they are the ugliest, and while penguins are really cute, they stink to high heavens!!!

I don't think all humans are ugly, but there is nothing worse than an ugly attitude in a human!!

COCatMama
12-12-2002, 07:23 PM
No such thing as an ugly animal, beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)
and as for monkeys being ugly....how can you say these monkeys are UGLY??!! btw, I took this picture and it's one of my absolute faves!!!!!!
http://www.lalania.com/vanzoo/squirrelmonkeys.jpg

Candy16
12-12-2002, 08:11 PM
You're right, those monkeys are adorable!! Though I'd never own one as a pet - I'll stick my dogs, cats, and other PETS, thank you! LoL I think the ugliest animal I've ever seen was called a Viperfish. Here's a pic:

http://www.austmus.gov.au/collections/images/e6292.jpg

You can't tell me you don't think that thing is ugly! LoL But I also firmly believe that every animal is beautiful in its own way -- even ugly, smelly old humans! :p

COCatMama
12-12-2002, 08:13 PM
that thing is just SCARY!!!!!!!! lol looks like a lamprey
monkeys make TERRIBLE pets!!! you'd have to be insane to want one as a 'pet'

Uabassoon
12-12-2002, 08:18 PM
What's with all the possum haters on Pet talk. I think they are so cute.

http://www.opossums-opossums.com/Mm43947c.jpg

luckies4me
12-12-2002, 08:40 PM
They are indeed, cute little buggers!:D

popcornbird
12-12-2002, 09:09 PM
SInce this thread is about "ugly" animals, I guess I'll be allowed to speak. :p That picture of the possum was cute btw. I have seen many ugly possums though, but I think rats beat them in ugliness by a million times! I also think certain monkeys are very ugly, while others are very cute. I think pigs are ugly and sqeaky spiders and roaches and certain reptiles/lizards, but some are pretty too (I like the designs on the scales of snakes......BUT......they are freaky!) I'd have to diagree with anyone who says humans are ugly. There may be some "not so pretty ones" but some humans are beautiful! Don't insult your own species. :rolleyes: Humans are NOT ugly in looks, but a human with hate, bad attitude, and full of anger can be the ugliest thing you laid your eyes upon. Of course birdies, bunnies, kittens, and puppies are the cutest! :p Hehe. In my opinion, the ugliest animal is a rat without hair. :( Sorry, but I just feel that way..........

COCatMama
12-12-2002, 09:17 PM
humans are without a doubt, the 'ugliest' animal as we DESTROY wildlife every dang chance we get!! WE create war, murder, 'ethnic cleansing', MATH, Hate, intolerance...and the list goes on!
no other animal cause possibly be 'ugly' except to a human, geeeeeeeezzzzzz
Our race is ugly, from the INSIDE!!! We will cease to be so when we wake up and treat the other life on this planet as equal and not as a 'resource'.

popcornbird
12-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Lalania
humans are without a doubt, the 'ugliest' animal as we DESTROY wildlife every dang chance we get!! WE create war, murder, 'ethnic cleansing', MATH, Hate, intolerance...and the list goes on!
no other animal cause possibly be 'ugly' except to a human, geeeeeeeezzzzzz
Our race is ugly, from the INSIDE!!! We will cease to be so when we wake up and treat the other life on this planet as equal and not as a 'resource'.

I wasn't talking about the "inside." Yes humans are the ugliest "inside" because of all of the disruption and destruction and killings, and horrible things they have caused in world. No other animal ever did such a thing. But I was talking about the "looks." Outside looks. :p

COCatMama
12-12-2002, 09:26 PM
Exactly my point, beauty is only skin deep.
other animals are 'pure' we are not, their purity is what makes them beautiful.
I truly believe all living things are equal, down to every last insect, lamprey, spider or microbe.
No such thing as an ugly 'wild thing'

gini
12-12-2002, 10:32 PM
I am going to post my own quote as a reminder that my intent was that this was just supposed to be a FUN thread, please!

You got me - the baby possum is very cute - but they do grow up!

[i]What do you think? What is your "least" favorite?

I think I will edit this post to say that this is meant all in fun!!

[/B]

The Cat Factory
12-12-2002, 10:57 PM
Lalania, are those the Monkeys from the Vancouver Zoo? They are so adorable! I go straight to the Monkeys whenever I go to the zoo!

I think Spiders are my list favorite animal. They're not ugly or anything, it's just the way they creep around!! *ugh*

mugsy
12-12-2002, 11:18 PM
I love all quadrapedal animals!! lol

I think the ugliest would be the humans also. But like everyone else has pointed out, they are ugly from the inside.

Lalania??? MATH??? lol I laughed outloud at that one!:D ;)

wolf_Q
12-13-2002, 12:05 AM
What's with all the monkey and possom haters here? Huh....I think they are cute..and the pics Lalania and Uabassoon posted is just adorable.

I guess I'm just one of those "so ugly it's cute" people. Sad, I know....but I really do think most animals are cute.

And luckies, I *love* praying mantis also. They are my favorite insect, I love to catch them and just hold them in my hand. I've watched them hatch from that nest type thing a couple of times too.

I had a real insect obession as a child. I'd catch just about anything. I still like bugs, but I'm really not as likely to catch as many of them though. (though I still find it very amusing to catch earthworms after it rains and freak people out ha ha ha).

Spiders....umm.....NO...I guess they get my vote!

Reptiles are awesome!

Although I'm not quite sure I'd pick up a snake (touch...not hold). I caught a few little lizards and horned lizards, and I just loved them. Horned lizards have to be my favorite reptiles now! So cute!

I like rodents as long as they're not gonna bite me! lol :rolleyes:

COCatMama
12-13-2002, 12:08 AM
Yup from Vancouver zoo! check out the other pics I took here --->
Vancouver Zoo pics (http://www.lalania.com/vancouverzoo.htm)

aly
12-13-2002, 12:24 AM
Those of us who said humans were ugly, the comment specifically said humans who are filled with hate... implying their attitudes, not looks. Seems like a lot of people misunderstood that.

COCatMama
12-13-2002, 12:31 AM
I think the whole human race is just nasty ;) but that's just my opinion.

The Cat Factory
12-13-2002, 09:59 AM
Lalania, I love the pics! I have a really good one of the Lemer's, But I have to wait to get my scanner fixed to post it :)

12-13-2002, 10:19 AM
xx

Ann
12-13-2002, 10:23 AM
I personally think all animals are beautiful :)

Am I the only one who finds it funny that so many people are saying "monkey" as their answer; when monkeys are humans closest relative? LOL!

Edwina's Secretary
12-13-2002, 10:54 AM
Am I the only one who finds it funny that so many people are saying "monkey" as their answer; when monkeys are humans closest relative?

This thought went through my head as well!

Possums can look like very large rats -- especially in the dark! (Which is when you usually see them!) And if you have ever seen them bare their teeth....:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sometimes fear and the perception of "ugly" aren't far apart!

Tanya&Fritz
12-13-2002, 11:56 AM
SNAKES! Hands down! Terrified of them :o

Tina
12-13-2002, 01:55 PM
Possums are not that ugly. But I'm still not that a big fan of them. We seen a bunch of them this summer. For some reason they just give me the creeps. I don't think any animal is ugly I just don't like some of them that much they creep me out.

neko1
12-13-2002, 02:53 PM
I can't really say anything about ugly, but as far as creepy goes definately spiders and silverfish...ewwwww!!!!

wolflady
12-13-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

My thoughts EXACTLY!!! I hate monkeys!!!

I would also have to add anything in the bug family.....eeeep! :eek:

LOL LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one!! I've never really cared for monkeys either, but there are certain kinds that are ok!! :o

Some of these responses had me laughing out loud. Lalania...MATH! I totally know what you mean! LOL LOL

Bugs and spiders creep me out too. Centipedes have got to be the worst!! :eek:

Desert Arabian
12-13-2002, 03:36 PM
Let's see, I can't stand...

Spiders, any of them..they are all sick. Especially Wolf Spiders. They are HUGE and hairy, they look exactly like a tarantula- but smaller. I had one next to my bed (at summer camp), and I sprayed it with Raid- it ran down the wall, and missed my bare feet by about 2 inches. Let's just say, people could hear me about 20 miles away. :rolleyes: What other sick nasty Wisconsin bugs can I think of?? Oh yea...Dobsonflies. SICK! They are a fly..but much bigger than your ordinary housefly. They are about 3-5 inches long with huge, I mean huge pinchers. They love to hang around lights at night. I also hate...millipedes, cicadas, centipedes, moths, cockroaches, june bugs (especially when you can hear them banging on the screen of the door in the summer.), praying mantises (sp), walking sticks, beetles, helgramites (baby dragonflies), horseflies, deerflies, the list goes on.

If you want to see some pictures:
Wolf Spider (http://www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets/images/wolf_spider_dingosa.jpg)
Dobsonfly (http://stephenville.tamu.edu/~fmitchel/insects/t_1084.jpg)

Uabassoon
12-13-2002, 03:41 PM
I think slugs are a little on the ugly side. And they leave that nasty goo trail which is kind of gross.

popcornbird
12-13-2002, 05:13 PM
OMG! How could I have forgotton slugs! The ugliest creatures ever to set foot on planet earth. ;) Vultures are quite ugly too. And some possoms are super ugly, some, but very few, are cute. Some remind me of a big gigantic rat, I once saw a dead possom on the road, a car had run over it. The streetlights were shining on its face. Its eyes were wide open, yet he was dead. His pale white face looked like a ghost! My dad was like, OMG what IS THAT?!?!?! It was so scary and so gross! I almost threw up. Poor possom though, but it just looked nasty.

The Cat Factory
12-14-2002, 12:38 AM
Eeewww!! One thing I forgot is Dragonflies. They are really pretty, but I hate the way the hover around your head!

http://france.topcities.com/madebyfrance/dragonflies/dragonfly_small.jpg

Christiansmommy
12-14-2002, 12:46 AM
Ever heard of an ear wing?? They are insects...and they are disgusting!! They have little pinchers on their behind...and they just totally gross me out...we used to have them around here a lot...but we have since got our house treated for termites...and the ear wings, have gone south for the winter...hopefully, summer, spring and fall too, LOL!! I hate them!

Robyn

wolf_Q
12-14-2002, 12:56 AM
Ok, I think I have decided...the Elephant Seal. I dunno, I watched a show on them once. They really are pretty fascinating. The females look ok, but I really don't care for the way the males look...very ermm...odd....not that i have anything against them really, just going on looks alone. ;)

12-14-2002, 01:29 AM
xx

kohala
12-14-2002, 05:28 AM
The ugliest animals I have seen have come from someone's imagination and been cast as the star of a SciFi movie!!!:D

twiggie542
12-14-2002, 07:59 AM
i have a Question!
how many people here watch a movie and see animals and humans get hurt at the same time and say o poor animal, and don't really care about the human,!?

Desert Arabian
12-14-2002, 09:01 AM
I do...because it was most likely the human that hurt the animal (s), and not that animal(s) that hurt the human. Sometimes...I like to see humans get hurt by animals- they most likely did something to the animal to make them mad (not all the time, sometimes!). For example, on T.V. I saw an elephant trainer beating his elephant (this was for the Barnum and Bailey circus), and finally the elephant had enough of that man's b.s.- so he attacked him and killed the man. I was so happy for the elephant, and I was glad it did that- I know I would have!

I'm sure everyone thinks I'm EXTREMELY weird by now... :D

COCatMama
12-14-2002, 12:43 PM
Twiggie: almost always!

sammi
12-15-2002, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Ann
I personally think all animals are beautiful :)

Am I the only one who finds it funny that so many people are saying "monkey" as their answer; when monkeys are humans closest relative? LOL!

Yes I did think that!
I think monkeys are cute and so much fun to watch. I couldn't believe how many people thought they were ugly either.

gini
12-15-2002, 10:25 AM
I went to our local Zoo a few years back and a Chimp had a new baby.

I was the only person standing in front of her enclosure and she held the baby up in her arms for me to see. I was so amazed that she did that, that I just started clapping. This seemed to please the Mama a great deal because she was so proud of her baby.

So I have never been able to put any of the monkey/chimp/gorilla group in any ugly category.

That very same day I visited the gorillas. There were a group of young boys - say 14 - 16 years of age. They were taunting the gorillas - especially the silverback. The silverback in one rapid motion, reached behind himself, gathered a huge "freshly made" pile of excrement in his hand and threw it at them hitting all of them at once.

I always fondly remember that day.

Pam
12-15-2002, 11:59 AM
I am afraid insects mostly come to mind here. I seem to find things with lots of legs ugly - I totally agree with whoever said centipede! I just prefer things with fur. :p :rolleyes:

COCatMama
12-15-2002, 12:12 PM
centipedes give me the willies!! but I don't think they're ugly, I heard somewhere that centipedes can bite you or something so I am scared of them now :D I am terrified of wasps *shudder*