PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Lose Parakeets

emily_the_spoiled
10-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Good morning everyone,

I am normally on the cat side of the board, but I need some help. There are two blue parakeets that have been hanging around my front yard with the wild birds because I am the only house that has bird seed. I need to capture them because they will not survive a winter here. I have put a bird cage on the ground with water, bird seed, and some treats hoping they would go in on their own. :rolleyes: Needless to say that has not been a resounding success. I am looking for advice on how I might trap them so I can bring them into my neighbors house (they have agreed to adopt them).

Thoughts?

Karen
10-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Oh, wow! Are they around any particular time of the day?

emily_the_spoiled
10-07-2013, 11:20 AM
They hang around with all the rest of the birds, so they are present when ever food is available.

Karen
10-07-2013, 11:22 AM
If you stay out there after you put the food down and sit quietly, would they still come by?

emily_the_spoiled
10-07-2013, 11:39 AM
I don't know. Every time I get anywhere near the tree all the birds take off, so that is their cue. I think that if I were just to stand there, they wouldn't come at all because the other birds wouldn't come to eat.

Karen
10-07-2013, 12:01 PM
It might be worth a shot to bring a chair out and sit, and see if they and the other birds will come by - otherwise I cannot think of anything that would lure them in that would not attract other birds!

emily_the_spoiled
10-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Right now it is POURING rain today, so I will have to try that when it is a little dryer :D

Karen
10-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Oh dear, that may be "my" fault - the remnants of Hurricane Karen?

emily_the_spoiled
10-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Yep, the rain is remants of the hurricane. But we are doing better than a lot of places: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2445448/South-Dakota-gets-33-inches-snow-tornadoes-kill-3-Nebraska.html