PDA

View Full Version : Shingles...

redbird
09-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Has anyone ever had Shingles. I have it for the second time in less than 4 years, it is so painful. I am going to the Dr. today to get a prescription. The pain is getting worse and affecting the whole left side of my upper body. Just wondering if anyone else here has suffered with this virus.

Karen
09-26-2013, 10:26 AM
I see the post for the Shingles vaccine in my doctor's office and remember when my elderly neighbor Kay had it, so when I am of the age I will definitely get the vaccine. I know I had chicken pox - it was the only time I ever missed school in elementary school, and I gave to Lady's Human, who was a little baby, and we kept having to put socks over his hands so he couldn't scratch the itchies! Kay said it was excruciating, I hope to never have to have Shingles.

redbird
09-26-2013, 11:10 AM
I see the post for the Shingles vaccine in my doctor's office and remember when my elderly neighbor Kay had it, so when I am of the age I will definitely get the vaccine.

I never knew there was a vaccine for Shingles till yesterday when my pharmacist told me about it. I also didn't know you had to be a certain age either, you learn something new every day.

Catty1
09-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Here's a link to some home remedies - stuff you can put on the rash to help the pain: http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=179

Karen
09-26-2013, 12:06 PM
The posters say anyone can get Shingles at any age if they have had chicken pox exposure, but the vaccine is recommended for anyone over 60.

phesina
09-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I looked into getting the vaccine after I heard about shingles last year or so, but it turned out the vaccine would cost something like $250 and it wasn't covered by my prescription drug insurance. So... no shingles vaccine! I just have to hope I don't get shingles.

Grace
09-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Definitely get the vaccine before you turn 65 and go on Medicare. I thought I heard that they are now paying for it, but after what Pat said - maybe not.

I was past 65 when I had the vaccine, because it wasn't available earlier; fortunately my supplemental insurance is fantastic, and paid for the entire cost :)

Louie and me
09-27-2013, 05:03 AM
Yup - I've had shingles twice too. Nasty stuff. There is a medication you can take that prevents the rash from spreading but you have to take it within 24 hours of the first symptoms. I was lucky last time because I recognized straight away what it was down my arm and wrist. It was miserable still but could have been worse. Sorry I don't remember the name of the drug. Canada hadn't approved the vaccine at that time but I think they have now.

pomtzu
09-27-2013, 06:44 AM
I'm a senior but have never had shingles, but I never had chickenpox either, so that makes me safe. I seriously doubt that I'll ever get them now, since I've been exposed numerous times when both of my kids had them, and my grandkids too. I made up for not having them, by having mumps and measles - that was in the dark ages before there was vaccines against them. :p

redbird
09-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Here's a link to some home remedies - stuff you can put on the rash to help the pain: http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=179

Since there is no rash showing as of yet, my Dr. couldn't say for sure if it is Shingles so he didn't give me the anti-viral meds. He did give me a prescription for a pain medication which I have to pick up from the pharmacist today. I'm sure it's Shingles since I've had it before and I had the rash before but up till now, I still don't have the rash. Thanks.

smokey the elder
09-27-2013, 10:03 AM
I had them 3 years ago. They were on the left side of my head, down my neck. They started with sharp pains on my scalp. The med my Dr. gave me was called "acyclovir" and he also gave me some topical stuff but the blisters hurt too much to put them on!

You need to keep them covered to protect people around you who have not had chicken pox.

phesina
09-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Definitely get the vaccine before you turn 65 and go on Medicare. I thought I heard that they are now paying for it, but after what Pat said - maybe not.

I was past 65 when I had the vaccine, because it wasn't available earlier; fortunately my supplemental insurance is fantastic, and paid for the entire cost :)

Thanks, Gretchen. I'm 69 and did have chicken pox as a child. Maybe it was my Medicare supp. insurance that didn't pay for it. I know Medicare didn't, at least not then, a year or two ago when I first heard about it and checked into it. Maybe I should check this out again.

Pat

kuhio98
09-27-2013, 11:31 AM
I looked into getting the vaccine after I heard about shingles last year or so, but it turned out the vaccine would cost something like $250 and it wasn't covered by my prescription drug insurance. So... no shingles vaccine! I just have to hope I don't get shingles.

Pat, Thanks for the information. I didn't realize the vaccine was so expensive. Though, from what I'm hearing -- about how painful shingles can be -- I'm thinking $250 sounds like a small price to pay to not have this painful experience.

caseysmom
09-27-2013, 01:14 PM
My husband had them a few years ago it was awful. I asked my doctor if I could get a shot even though I am 52 and she said yes I just need to get in there and get it I had surgery 9/12 and didn't want to do it right before or after. Luckily my insurance fully covers it.

Laura's Babies
09-27-2013, 01:34 PM
I knew a lady that had it 20 plus years ago. She suffered in dire pain with it and she'd sit up crying in pain every night.. Her family would always take her to the doctor and he was telling them Shingles was NOT painful and she was just doing it for attention. I always felt so sorry for her. I knew her and knew she enjoyed life to the fullest and couldn't have been lying about the pain. She died without knowing that it DOES cause pain and the doctors are aware of the pain now.

robinh
09-27-2013, 07:03 PM
My insurance company would pay for it after 55, so when I talked to my doctor he gave me a prescription. When I was at the pharmacist filling out the disclaimer papers the pharmacy had, I noticed it had neomycin base. My luck, I've had reactions to neomycin so she said I had to talk to my doctor before she would give me the shot. Bottom line I can't have the shot. Really worries me that I'll get shingles, but I'm not willing to risk it.

Asiel
09-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Had the shingles 3 times now and hope to never get them again--- the doctor who said it wasn't painful must be a fool. It hurts and itches a lot, very painful. No vaccine for me because of another condition I have. Keep praying I won't ever get them again. My daughter had them when she was 11 and I remember how many days she spent in tears from the pain-- she had them from the right side of her forehead down to her waist.
Redbird could you be having post shingles pain, it's very painful, neuralgic nerve pain from damaged nerves when you did have shingles.

redbird
09-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Redbird could you be having post shingles pain, it's very painful, neuralgic nerve pain from damaged nerves when you did have shingles.

I now know for sure it is Shingles cuz the little pimples have shown up both on my chest and back. Not many but a few and they are very, very painful. I called the Dr. and a prescription is being sent to my pharmacist. I also have pain on the right side of my forehead as your daughter had and it effects my right ear.

I didn't know Shingles could effect someone so young, this is a terrible virus.

lizbud
09-28-2013, 11:45 AM
I knew a lady that had it 20 plus years ago. She suffered in dire pain with it and she'd sit up crying in pain every night.. Her family would always take her to the doctor and he was telling them Shingles was NOT painful and she was just doing it for attention. I always felt so sorry for her. I knew her and knew she enjoyed life to the fullest and couldn't have been lying about the pain. She died without knowing that it DOES cause pain and the doctors are aware of the pain now.

Wonder if Karma ever caught up with that Dr.?

smokey the elder
09-30-2013, 10:21 AM
The worst problem with shingles is the post-herpetic neuralgia, which is a $5 way of saying that the nerve damage can be permanent and cause pain. For folks who can't get the shots, as soon as you suspect shingles, if you can get on antivirals ASAP that might help. It did for me, but of course YMMV.