PDA

View Full Version : Please write to make a difference, this is very sad, exploting a beautiful creature!

luckies4me
12-12-2002, 01:46 AM
This was posted on another forum:

"Animals: Hello, Many of you have seen this before, but for those of you who haven’t, Here is a link to an item on E-Bay that was brought to my attention by another exotic lover. I feel that the following item shouldn’t be allowed on a public auction site. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1972342510 I have made several contacts and found that this is the person who we need to write to make a change… Pierre M. Omidyar Chairman eBay.com Inc. 2145 Hamilton Ave. San Jose, CA 95125 Phone: 408-558-7400 Fax: 408-558-7401 http://www.ebay.com/aboutebay/overview/management.html Please view the above site and be true to your heart with your response…"

Look how beautiful she is! She deserves to be ALIVE!:mad:

luckies4me
12-12-2002, 01:48 AM
And the animal is CITES regulated, why the hell was it shot then?:mad:

Nomilynn
12-12-2002, 01:49 AM
That is so sad!!! It's not like a bobcat is killed for any other reason than trophy.. It's sick!!! The bidding is already closed, are people supposed to write anyway?

luckies4me
12-12-2002, 01:52 AM
Yes, there are other animals on there including a baby bobcat!!:mad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1978030916&category=22702

neko1
12-12-2002, 05:45 AM
ewww what kind of sick person would want that poor animal in their house? That bobcat is beautiful and definately didn't deserve to be shot and stuffed.

Karen
12-12-2002, 07:29 AM
We don't know why she was shot, to be fair. Yes, she ended up being stuffed, but she may have been in a dangerous area, or something. She is lovely, and I am glad her wild cousins still survive - in the wild! We rarely see these beauties, but that's good - both for them, and for us!

COCatMama
12-12-2002, 08:55 AM
Blech, disgusting and barbaric. And some fool paid money for that?! wait till his wife finds out!

Corinna
12-12-2002, 09:37 AM
Ok I know I'm in for it no, but as the wife of a taxidermist I really have to say this. Have any of you ever seen what a wild cat can to to children and pets?I have and it's not pretty.Our saying here is why waste it's beauty even if it is dead.
You folks must not have ever been to Montana long enough to see the wild carnage these animals can do. You all have mentioned things that disgust me but I keep my mouth SHUT!! cuz I may not know the circomstances.
I just had to reply! Ps you don't ever want to come to my home then I5 different mounts here.

luckies4me
12-12-2002, 11:10 AM
I don't have a problem with taxidermy, people stuff their pets for heaven sakes, I just think it is WRONG to kill an animal just for it's pelt, because it is seen as a prize. A baby bobcat cannot due harm and usually bobcats do not go up to people and attack them. I know, only because there are a lot of people around here who keep them as pets (exotic animal breeders) and they grow up with children. Have you seen bobcat sleep with a pair of siamese? Or a serval and a caracal friends. Well I have. Animals should not be killed as trophie. Bear hunting, deer hunting etc. discusts me. I can understand if you are going to use the animal as food but no one is going to eat bobcat, zebra or elephant tusks. There is no reason to stuff a squirrel, that is just plain stupid.

If the animal was a threat to the community and had to be euthanized then stuff it, but don't siplay it like some work of art. Send it to a museum or something where it can be studied or people who have never seen one can see it up close without risk of injury. I also used to live in 29 Plams, in the hot desert where bobcat, coyote and other creatures were at my doorstep everynight. Was I afraid, hell no. I kept my distance and respected the creature. I didn't go get my shot gun and go "Hey, there's a bobcat at my door, it's a threat to me, guess I should go get my gun and shoot it!" No, I let it live out it's life. It was there first, that is where it belongs. Us humans are constantly taking over their space, I don't blame them for having to wander our neighborhoods, after all, it's our fault.

luckies4me
12-12-2002, 11:17 AM
I know a lady and her husband. The ladies husband goes bear, elk and deer hunting. He NEVER eats the meat (some people eat bear) but displays their heads upon his shelves as a trophie. That is sick. They have a huge bear he killed on their wall, hanging above the fireplace. He shoots deer bucks just becase they have twelve points!!!Any magnificant twelve point buck should live, not be mutilated. Also, if you watch those hunting videos they shoot deer in the wrong place. One man shot off the antlers, only reason he was shooting it anyway. It was STILL ALIVE when they walked up to it, kicking it etc. They didn't have the decency to shoot it in the head and put it out of it's misery, they let it die a slow and painful death. Then they just left him there to rot because the antlers were no good anymore. What a beautiful creature, he had to die for someones stupidity. :mad: It's just wrong!:(

All Creatures Great And Small
12-12-2002, 11:20 AM
So to summarize your position here, only meat animals should be taxidermied, and works of art should only be displayed in museums, not in private homes? Bobcat hunting is legal, taxidermy is legal, and selling mounts on eBay must be legal too, if it's for sale. eBay is not a "public" auction site, it's a private business enterprise. I don't approve of trophy hunting either, just my personal feeling, but stopping one guy from selling one mount isn't going to make it stop happening.

luckies4me
12-12-2002, 11:46 AM
"So to summarize your position here, only meat animals should be taxidermied, and works of art should only be displayed in museums, not in private homes? Bobcat hunting is legal, taxidermy is legal, and selling mounts on eBay must be legal too, if it's for sale. eBay is not a "public" auction site, it's a private business enterprise. I don't approve of trophy hunting either, just my personal feeling, but stopping one guy from selling one mount isn't going to make it stop happening."

To me a bucks head on a wall is not a work of art. What if they started doing that to cats. Oh my cat is pretty so I am going to shoot it, skin it and hang it on the wall. That's sick. Bobcat hunting is controlled because they are a CITES listed species. Iknow all that stuff is legal, I amjust giving my opinion here ok, if yours differs so be it. You are entitled to yours as I am mine and this is my opinion. I dn't know what you mean about meat animals. I have never seen a stuffed cow. I never said taxidermy was wrong, people do it for all reasons. I just disagree about the way the animals are killed. They consider them such beautiful creatures. Don't you think it would be more beautiful if it were alive? Do you not think what happened to that buck was sad and disrespectful to the creature, to shoot it and leave it there to die a painful death?

I do agree that one person is not going to change a thing, and maybe it's useless but for the people who care maybe they can do something about it, at least stop the useless slaughter of defenseless animals for sport. Eating them, using the hide for clothing etc. is fine. But to just kill something to kill it is discusting and crazy.

Desert Arabian
12-12-2002, 03:48 PM
Corrina- WOW! I am jelous of you...15 mounts...a husband taxadermist...LUCKY! I think taxadermy is a very interesting field of work. I think it is amazing how they can do that- if only it was faster tho. We had to wait 1 1/2 years, almost 2 for our 9 pointer. That's the only thing I don't like.

I hunt...and I am 100% proud, and nobody can stop me or take my pride away!I hunt deer,duck, goose, squirrel, rabbit, turkey, phesant, and grouse.All of them are very tasty!! I would love to go Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, and Mountain Lion hunting, but I don't know if that will ever happen. I have no problem with wildlife mounting..but pet mounting, that creeps me out. If I had a pet mouted it would make me too depressed to see it just sitting there- it would make me think of the fun-filled past. I think the weirdest things I have seen mounted would be chickens and horses. The coolest mount I have seen would be a mount where a Mountain Lion is attacking a HUGE Mule Deer buck. I guess hunting has to run in your blood..it does in mine...and I am glad!

p.s.If that Bobcat was illegally poached...then I would have a problem with it. (But it wouldn't be on E-Bay anyhow.)

Luckies4Me- what do you mean by the bobcat being CITES???

luckies4me
12-12-2002, 04:51 PM
YLL: WOW! That is a pretty buck!!!! I don't think taxidermy is wrong as I stated, and youeat what you catch, not all but most. If the animal is shot fast and dies fast that's better, but the man who shot that deer and left him to die without shooting it to kill it is sad. I don't think you would let any animal suffer that way would you? I do think the buck is pretty though.

You have eaten a squirrel?:confused: What does it tastes like? :eek: Why did it take 1 1/2 years to get the buck back? Isn't that a long time? You think pet mounting is scary! People mummify their pets and keep them in the living room, now that's scary! :eek:

CITES regulates endangered animals and other thing: You can go here (http://www.cites.org/) for more info.

Soledad
12-12-2002, 04:59 PM
I'm still interested in why people think it's perfectly okay to kill cows, pigs, chicken and fish yet "disgusting" and "wrong" when someone hunts an animal themselves and either eats it or displays it. Both groups are killing animals.

Uabassoon
12-12-2002, 05:03 PM
I have a deer head to. His name is Jimmy, he's made of plastic and is inflatable. He hangs in the guest room.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/pd5815e9eac42f2d8028773a5e809af06/fcf0ab80.jpg

Soledad
12-12-2002, 05:06 PM
That's hilarious!

12-12-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I have a deer head to. His name is Jimmy, he's made of plastic and is inflatable. He hangs in the guest room.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/pd5815e9eac42f2d8028773a5e809af06/fcf0ab80.jpg

Okay, rolling on the floor, tears in the eyes, almost wetting myself LAUGHING at Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, do I wish I had one of those! I can think of some pretty good pranks I could pull on my family.......my husband has the "real thing" in the family room (over my objections), and I like to hang stupid things from it's antlers in the hopes that he'll get tired of it and take the thing up to our cottage, where it would be more appropriate. One day I'd like to replace it with "Jimmy" and see what he thinks - LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COCatMama
12-12-2002, 06:50 PM
I won't lie....I think hunting is just plain wrong for many reasons not the least of which is that wilderness is threatened by us humans. Also, I don't think hunting is fair because hunters use big guns and sights. I hate the way people treat animals grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Corinna
12-12-2002, 11:28 PM
Nice buck and agood job on the work.I have eaten bear, moose elk, and MT.LION. I haven't tried squirrel, eat rabbit that I raise for meat. I too don't appove of trophy hunting, but it happens and when it's one of our clients , I get the meat and give it to people on my list. I have some welfare moms and poeple who have a child with enviormental diease (cant eat any processed foods) . The food banks here also take the meat and have it done up to give out.
My hubby did a great wolvrine for his final project at school 6 years ago. He's on a rock (mache') lookimg over his shoulder with a serine look. He got him from a trapper in Idaho. We have about 15 fish too. The living room is the show room. I can't tell you how many marriage offers I get. Most wives say 1 you only get 1, then they see our house and the guys go nuts.
I don't hunt but I like the walking in the outdoors. I go along to help pack out. Hubby has limited use of left arm from the cancer. 19 year old can't haul out the big ones we get here. Hes more a fish guy the 21 year old daughter the hunter.

12-13-2002, 12:00 AM
Oh yes, it's a very beautiful buck, indeed. The problem is, our family room is only about 10 x 10 feet (the whole house is tiny), and it's decorated in Early American and antiques, courtesy of his parents, so the deer head just doesn't "go with" the room. The cottage, on the other hand, has a high ceiling, beams, and a totally rustic decor, so I think the buck would look so much better up there. It just looks bizarre in that tiny room, like it crashed through the wall by accident or something:p :D . It took a long time to get because the taxidermist took sick in the middle of it (I think he had pneumonia or something of that nature) and couldn't work on it for several months. I know there's a long wait at any taxidermist in Wisconsin, since it's very popular up here! (By the way, my husband would probably be one of those offering a proposal, because a woman who goes into the woods with him would be considered a goddess;)! I'm just not an outdoors person, I guess.)

wolf_Q
12-13-2002, 01:16 AM
I HATE taxidermy...that said, bobcat hunting is not illegal, and neither is taxidermy.

My friend's dad is a total "trophy hunter." He has TONS of deer, elk, antelope, and even a cougar rug, foxes, raccoons, a full-bodied mountain goat, buffalo head, moose head....etc. etc. etc. They freak me out. I don't like the eyes. Like I said, I just plain don't like taxidermy or trophy hunting.

My family hunts deer and elk. *I* do not hunt of course (do enjoy the hike, not the rest of it though). They have never killed more than one animal in a year (as with my friend's family, its at least 5 deer/elk per year w/ all of her brothers, not counting other animals) and we ALWAYS eat the meat. My friend's family takes the meat home, but I have NEVER seen them eat any of it.

COCatMama
12-13-2002, 08:39 AM
I think it's probably bad karma to have a bunch of dead animal bits around the house, I do have a bear skull which my ex bf *found* and gave to me, I wonder if it's bad karma too even tho we did not kill the bear?

ramanth
12-13-2002, 08:40 AM
YYL: That is a beautiful mount.

Ubassoon: LOL!! I love that! I need to get one for my dad, where did you find it?

My parents have two deer head mounts. One upstairs in the living room and one downstairs. They would both be upstairs but the second buck is looking the wrong way. My parents hunt whitetail only and we always eat the meat.

I've seen deer/car accidents... not pretty.....rather hunt them and eat them then splatter them across my hood.

Ann
12-13-2002, 10:35 AM
As for taxidermy: Look at Norman Bates. NUFF SAID!

Incase you couldn't figure it out; the above was a joke :p

I despise and hate hunting with all my being. Unless you do it like other animals and kill only for meat and survival purposes I find it disgusting and wrong.

As for whoever it was that said it was okay to hunt wild cats because they can hurt kids, I have only one thing to say to you: Move. They were there before you, humans are the ones building houses and chopping down forests to put up another McDonalds, they are not the ones going into your original homes and shooting your kids to display their skin on their mantle.

That's all I have to say.

luckies4me
12-13-2002, 11:50 AM
For those who eat deer and elk, are you not afraid of catching that disease that makes you crazy? I don't remember what it is called but ...oh yes, mad cow disease. They carry something very similar and some people have already been infected. Just a little too scary for me. :eek:

ramanth
12-13-2002, 12:04 PM
I'm already crazy.... :D

luckies4me
12-13-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
I'm already crazy.... :D

LOL! You got me there!:p

Uabassoon
12-13-2002, 01:21 PM
Ubassoon: LOL!! I love that! I need to get one for my dad, where did you find it?

I wish I could answer that, but Jimmy came with the house. When I moved in this house there were lots of things already in here, like a lazy boy recliner, a tv that I could never afford... and Jimmy. We thought he was cute so we kept him around. My landlord has an inflatable Moose head in her room. Next time I see her I'll ask where she got them.

Ann
12-13-2002, 01:36 PM
luckies4me, I'm pretty sure that the mad cow disease comes only in what it's name points to; cows. I think it has something to do with bad cow food or something along those lines... I remember hearing a lot about this when the UK had big trouble with it. Of course, I could be way off!

Uabassoon, I adore Jimmy :D

jennifert
12-13-2002, 01:45 PM
Actually Ann, althought I dont' know much about it, there is a "mad deer" disease also. I just happened to see something about it on the news the day before yesterday....It seems to be on the increase....Maybe it's only here in America?

Edwina's Secretary
12-13-2002, 01:48 PM
There is a disease in the deer population -- very controversial right now -- I believe it is called wasting disease (?) It is supposedly similar to mad cow.

Wisconsin has some problems. I not sure of where else but that might be what you are thinking about....

For those who eat deer and elk, are you not afraid of catching that disease that makes you crazy

Lots of different opinions on it!

(And I shall keep mine to myself!)

luckies4me
12-13-2002, 01:48 PM
Yes that was what I was referring to. :) It is called something else though, just can't remember what!:rolleyes: There has been a few people die from it already too, very sad.

anna_66
12-13-2002, 02:06 PM
If you want to hunt, be my guest...
If you want to stuff animals & put them on your walls or what ever, be my guest...
And if you want to eat all that meat or give it away to the hungry, that's awesome!
But I personally could never hunt, or have any stuffed animals in my house.
And I can't stand the taste of wild game meat. I like meat & all, I just can't stand to see something alive & then eat it later or see it staring at me in my home, yuk!:p

12-13-2002, 02:30 PM
Yes, it's called Chronic Wasting Disease, and it is spreading in Wisconsin in the deer population. So far it is mostly confined to a small area in the western part of the state. There have been no human fatalities from it, although we did have some deaths this past summer from encephalitis and West Nile virus going around. I did hear about some fatalities from the similar disease "mad cow", or Creutzfeld-Jakob disease (CJD), that at first were thought to be from CWD. My husband had decided that he would go ahead and eat any venison that he got, but -- he got skunked this year, so not a worry. (I've never liked the taste of venison, so I never eat it anyway.)

Ramanth - I tried to find "Jimmy" online, but the only place that he was available has discontinued him!! :( No Jimmies for us this Xmas.......

Ann
12-13-2002, 02:35 PM
Oh really? Well, I've never heard of that so it's probably just in the USA... However, I don't think you can go crazy or anything like that from eating mad cow meat... Of course, I could be wrong again :rolleyes:

NoahsMommy
12-13-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Ann
As for whoever it was that said it was okay to hunt wild cats because they can hurt kids, I have only one thing to say to you: Move. They were there before you, humans are the ones building houses and chopping down forests to put up another McDonalds, they are not the ones going into your original homes and shooting your kids to display their skin on their mantle.

I couldn't agree enough! I hate seeing on the news that they've tracked down and killed a shark/bear/mtn. lion because it hurt someone. HELLO!?!?! The land/ocean belongs to them, they can't go buy property, fence it in and have food delievered. We were the ones who have infringed upon them. I hate that mentality...if it worries you so much that your children could get hurt...don't let them outside. Or, as Ann said...move!