PDA

View Full Version : Extreme makeover

luckies4me
12-11-2002, 10:08 PM
Tonight on ABC a new show starts called "Extreme Makeover". It's about three people who go under the knife and have plastic sugery done to look better or how the show puts it, "lead better lives".

So I was wondering what everyones view on plastic surgery is and if you would ever do it. The only thing I would probably do is have my teeth whitened and filed. They have been chipped so many times it's ridiculous! Also what do you think about a show like this. I personally think it's pathetic but that's my opinion. :rolleyes:

Nomilynn
12-12-2002, 01:36 AM
If I could afford it, I would totally go for plastic surgery! I think that if it's done for you, because you want it and it's just something you really want, then go for it. I don't think it's healthy when people get plasitc surgery to try and change themselves because of low self esteem.

I think that putting it on TV glorifies the plastic surgery, and only promotes the idea that there is an "ideal look" that everyone should strive for. By calling it "extreme makeover" the implication seems to be someone wanting to look different for the better; and I think that just perpetuates the stereotypes about what looks good and what doesn't.

luckies4me
12-12-2002, 01:38 AM
I agree. :)

neko1
12-12-2002, 05:50 AM
I would go for plastic surgery (if I wasn't so afraid of needles and hospitals anyway!!)
I've got a bit of a pot belly (thank you Kahler women). Diet and exercise don't work. I've talked to many people about it and most have that one area (usually the stomach or the butt and thighs) that they cannot get rid of the fat. I wouldn't say that it was totally for self esteem reasons, just that you work your butt off to get rid of it, and it won't go away, so you just go to the next step.

anna_66
12-12-2002, 08:19 AM
I honestly think if I could afford it I would do it. Not just stuff like the nose jobs, breast & stuff like that, but things to make me look younger (not like I'm so old right now, but someday I will be!). I don't think there's anything wrong with making you feel better about yourself, if you can afford it:D

Cataholic
12-12-2002, 10:03 AM
I watched the show, found it pretty interesting, and really seemed to make the people in it feel better about themselves. Really, their situation was not going to be changed by diet, exercise, make-up, etc. I think corrective surgery is more representative of their procedures than cosmetic surgery...these three people had some significant issues.

luckies4me
12-12-2002, 11:01 AM
I agree with you Cataholic. I do believe they had issues that could not be resolved without surgery and they did look much better and felt better afterwards, it's how they glorify it on TV and online that makes me sick.

I too would have it done, teeth whitening, filing of teeth. I would also like electrolisis, no more shaving!!! :p I also have a huge scar on my chest from a surgery I had as a baby and I hate it. My mom was going to have it looked at by a plastic surgeon when I was younger however I chickened out. I too would like to look younger. I am only 23 but I have these wrinkles that don't go away on my forehead. I have had them since I was a kid and there is nothing I could do for them. I also have a few red spots on my face, ,broken capillaries that I would like to have removed. My mother had a spider vein removed, they just injected the vein with something and it disappeared. It was so weird. She just had a little bruising and that's it.

Stenograsaurus
12-12-2002, 12:33 PM
I watched that with my five year old last night. I said during the show, you know, if I was picked to do something like this, I honestly don't know if I would have anything done. What could I get done? Then my five year old said, well, mommy, you need a nose job. Yours kind of slants up. And your cheeks are too puffy. Then she patted my upper leg and said, and you have too much fat here. Oh, don't you love kids? They are brutally honest sometimes. :eek: