PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day Holiday #548.

RICHARD
08-29-2013, 11:25 AM
The 'unofficial' end of Summer is a few days away!:eek::(

I saw HALLOWEEN costumes in the stores - that give us about 60 days to figure out what to do?:rolleyes:

I am looking forward to the fall and baking....

--------------

How's about a berry mojito to start things out with?

5 fresh mint leaves
1 teaspoon(s) granulated sugar
4 wedge(s) lime, juiced
2 ounce(s) Bacardi Razz
1/4 ounce(s) Chambord
1/4 ounce(s) blue Curaçao
1 splash(es) club soda
Mint, for garnish
Raspberries and blueberries, for garnish

Directions

1.In a tall glass, crush mint with a fork. Add sugar and lime juice; stir. Add Bacardi, Chambord, and blue Curaçao; mix. Top with club soda. Garnish.

smokey the elder
08-30-2013, 10:18 AM
That sounds good! I'll have to make those this weekend. I have all the fixin's.:D

Pinot's Mom
08-30-2013, 11:01 AM
I like the sound of that drink! I'll take one, please, barkeep!

We're changing things up at our annual BBQ on Sunday - going international. ;) We normally have several beef roasts on the grill served with fresh horseradish. We've had this party for about 30 years and decided to switch things up. On the grill will be Beef Bulgogi (Korean style beef - REALLY yummy), along with sausage seasoned with Old Bay, marinated chicken wings of a few styles, and I believe turkey or chicken sausage.

Time to party! :) Come on down!

RICHARD
08-30-2013, 11:26 AM
That sounds good! I'll have to make those this weekend. I have all the fixin's.:D

No reason to leave home this weekend!:D

DONE!

PM,

Sounds delicious.

I made some boneless pork ribs a few weeks ago, I put them on a piece of foil, loaded up my wood chip box and left them on the grill for 3 hours.

They were so good, I may have left them on for a bit too long, but they had a nice crunchy outer texture that was great.

I chopped them up on a cutting board and had pork burritos, salsa , beans and rice!!!

DONE!

Karen
08-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Later this evening I will be trying something new - saw a recipe for strawberry bread that just seemed intriguing, so I will let you all know how it goes! Someone in Australia posted a recipe on Facebook, but rather than try to look up all the terms, and do the math to convert amounts, I just Googled it and found one in American measurements!

As a child, we only had strawberries fresh, as if they were older than a day after they were picked, ma would get an allergic reaction to them. So we'd go strawberry picking, then clean and slice a mess of them for shortcake and any leftovers for strawberry ice cream, so cooking with them (besides for jam) will be a new experience!

Karen
09-01-2013, 01:35 AM
Well, the strawberry bread is done, and it turned into more of an experiment than I intended, but is yummy! It is more delicate than I expected, and I had to do some funky moves to get it all done, as I varied things, didn't start in a big enough bowl, don't know where my other loaf pan is* so ended up with one big loaf and two small, but all in all, a success!

I guess I was expecting banana bread or pumpkin bread like texture, or muffiny, but it is more delicate by far.

*likely the storage space, but in which box of dishes, not sure!

So strawberry bread to share, anyone?

Lady's Human
09-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Trivia time!

How many square feet will a dropped jar hot steaming hot strawberry jam cover?

Karen
09-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Yikes - don't wanna know the answer to that one! Did a certain canine try to assist with cleanup and burn her tongue?

Lady's Human
09-02-2013, 06:25 PM
The answer is all of them.

Angel was preoccupied when the jar hit the deck, thankfully.

Karen
09-03-2013, 03:44 AM
Thank goodness Angel was occupied! I hope none of it burned you, LH or any of the humans either! There's nothing quite as sticky and dangerous as scalding hot jam.

Lady's Human
09-04-2013, 02:04 PM
ON a side note, what does our kitchen have in common with Reggae?

We be jammin, mon!

RICHARD
09-04-2013, 03:56 PM
While I am NOT a scientist, I do ponder about things way outside my paygrade........

How much square footage can strawberry jam cover when it's in a high temp state?

Well,

We first have to figure out the viscosity of SJ at different temps.

Then, we have to determine the amount, the height from which it was dropped and the velocity of the container when it struck the floor.

Of course, the exact angle of the container - when it stopped - has to be replicated.

That said?

Wait until it cools, let the dog have some while you get a bucket and mop....

In square feet?

I'll estimate the splatter at.............................

That much?

-------------------

I need a beer and a laugh.....anyone?

Bueller, Bueller?

Karen
09-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Um, not a good idea to let the dog have any, as remember, there is broken glass mixed in! They are usually 8-ounce jars - jam jars, silly! ;)

RICHARD
09-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Um, not a good idea to let the dog have any, as remember, there is broken glass mixed in! They are usually 8-ounce jars - jam jars, silly! ;)

Hmm, Didn't take that into consideration, Told you I wasn't a scientist.

But, I did stay at a Holiday Inn once?;):D

Lady's Human
09-04-2013, 06:26 PM
There was no broken glass, the jar was intact. The picture is completely apropos.

However, she's stinky enough, we don't need to know what strawberry jam would do internally....:eek:

RICHARD
09-04-2013, 07:38 PM
There was no broken glass, the jar was intact. The picture is completely apropos.

However, she's stinky enough, we don't need to know what strawberry jam would do internally....:eek:

A slice of bread, with peanut butter and let peristalsis take it's course?

----------------

I have told this story before but it involves a petroleum based jelly.

I used to ride a motorcycle as a main means of transportation and during the late part of the year in El Lay the Santa Ana winds blow and dry up the air something fierce.

That - and riding about - really dries out your skin. So, I bought a huge jar of Vaseline and when i got home, I'd put some on my face, hands and forearms.

I took the jar out and left it on the lower shelf of the coffee table overnight. I went to work the next day and when I got home I found a half a jar of Vaseline - from a nearly brand new package.

Well, I packed the dog up into his duffel bag and rode over to the Vet's office.

I explained "my" problem and was told that I would have a nicely lubed dog. Jessie was a Lhasa so she needed to
have her rear trimmed and we went home with a recipe of Chicken and Rice.

I went to work on the third day and when I came home the dog had pooped a viscous brown trail all across the dining area. \

Thank god the house was due for demo - the landlords had let me rent the place until it was to be destroyed........

But........I still had to try and clean up something like the Exxon Valdez leak from a shag rug.

It was fun, the dog needed to be cleaned up for a week afterwards and I learned that Chicken and Rice can and will tighten up any 'loose ends' you may encounter......

---------

Wow, that made me thirsty......

Another round?