PDA

View Full Version : Favourite songs, bands, music!!!!

cloverfdx
08-29-2013, 09:14 AM
I am slightly music obsessed, I have to constantly have music of some sort playing at all times lol.

What are everyone's favourites? Feel free to add YouTube links :).

Two of my favs at the moment. Both songs mean a lot to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kAJfG0DMjY
Edward Sharpe & the magnetic Zeros - Remember to remember :love:

&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4q4rfDcNw
Matt Corby - Resoloution :love:

pomtzu
08-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Can't say that I have any current ones - I'm stuck in the past...........

The Moody Blues
Abba
Peter, Paul & Mary
Dan Fogelberg
Glen Campbell
Linda Rondstat (her recent Parkinson's diagnosis is just heartbreaking - no more singing)
Elton John

Yes - I'm OLD! :p

cloverfdx
08-29-2013, 12:01 PM
I like old/ older stuff as well :). Nothing wrong with that at all.

James Taylor, Carole King, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, The Eagles, just to name a few lol.

My bestie and I are going to see Imagine Dragons on the 16th of October. Cannot wait.

RICHARD
08-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Hokay,
I was at a baseball game and they play a small bit of a player's theme song as they come up to bat.

When I heard this song the first few times, I couldn't figure out what was going on and finally, I looked it up based on the two words that I thought that I heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs46Zq6I7-E&feature=player_detailpage

I still don't know what it means other than "El Mudo" means "the deaf one".

I usually don't listen to this style of music, but it makes me laugh whenenver I hear it.

Enjoy or hate it....It's up to you!;)

cloverfdx
08-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Lol I only got 1.30 into it and had to stop it. How very bizarre. But very clever you were able to find it just by searching two words lol.

Casper
08-29-2013, 01:14 PM
I kinda haven't updated my music library in a few years. :o
Here are a few that I have the tendency to play on repeat.

http://youtu.be/j0naRFSK2hQ
Brand New - "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot"
Really, this entire album is one of my favorites. Its been played on repeat more than any other album I own. I associate it with a very important time in my life.

http://youtu.be/rzJ21OpFnZ0
Against Me! - Thrash Unreal

http://youtu.be/J-ZN7NyPfb4
The Gaslight Anthem - "Bring It On"

cassiesmom
08-29-2013, 03:37 PM
In the car and at home I listen mostly to an oldies station (60s-70s-80s) and classic rock. At work we listen to an "eighties till now" station- they play a little of everything, which I enjoy. I do like Mumford and Sons. LOVE fun.! They were both in Chicago this summer - Mumford and Sons at Lolla and fun. at Taste of Chicago. Maroon 5. I love Adele's music, too.

Alysser
08-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Where to begin?

My list is all country -old and new- :D

Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, George Strait, Glen Campbell, John Denver, Dolly Parton, Eric Church, Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Kip More, Chris Young, Zac Brown Band, Tim McGraw, Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, Lee Brice, Billy Currington, Colt Ford, Keith Urban, Lady Antebellum, The Band Perry, Hunter Hayes, Brooks and Dunn, Gloriana, etc.

I know I'm forgetting a bunch!

Mostly all country -

I like one band I guess you could describe as Hippie Music -

Cloud Cult

A few assorted ones:
Simple Plan and Boys Like Girls to name a few.

Luke Bryan will most likely always be my favorite:

Right now his album "Dirt Road Diaries" just came out - but my favorite song by him I'd say was "Buzzkill". I love Gloriana's "can't shake you", and I'm on a 90's Brookes and Dunn kick at the moment!

Karen
08-29-2013, 03:53 PM
My iPod contains an eclectic mix - as does my brain! Everything from classical to gospel, blues to rock, pop, and everything in-between - current and so old it was recorded before I was alive!

Roxyluvsme13
08-29-2013, 06:05 PM
My mom raised me on oldies so I like oldies plus newer stuff. I'll listen to almost anything. I despise country with a really strong passion, though you can occasionally get me to listen to Rascal Flatts, Carrie Underwood, stuff like that.

I have everything from the Beatles to Glee to classical to rap to hard rock to pop on my iPod, so yep, basically everything!

Litterati
08-29-2013, 06:19 PM
My taste in music has been termed "eclectic", going from "Summer of Love" psychedelic oldies to prog rock to disco to New Wave to rap. So faves include: Donovan, Cream, Eric Burdon, Bee Gees, Moody Blues, Earth, Wind and Fire, Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, English Beat, New Order, Depeche Mode, Talking Heads, Cure, Stranglers, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Rolling Stones, Doors, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Dr. Dre and everyone he "discovered/mentored" and that's the short list. :cool:

Litterati
08-29-2013, 06:22 PM
And can't leave out Steppenwolf and Steely Dan!!! Somebody stop me!!! :eek:

Alysser
08-29-2013, 09:07 PM
My mom raised me on oldies so I like oldies plus newer stuff. I'll listen to almost anything. I despise country with a really strong passion, though you can occasionally get me to listen to Rascal Flatts, Carrie Underwood, stuff like that.

I have everything from the Beatles to Glee to classical to rap to hard rock to pop on my iPod, so yep, basically everything!

WE CAN NO LONGER BE FRIENDS :mad::D

Karen
08-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Now, now - she admitted she does make some exceptions ... so surely you can sway her opinion!

chocolatepuppy
08-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Country music lover here. I do like the oldies too.:cool:

Roxyluvsme13
08-30-2013, 12:02 AM
WE CAN NO LONGER BE FRIENDS :mad::D

Lol, Alyssa, you need to move to Tennessee since we have Nashville and all. But I just can't stand the twangy depressing love songs and all of that. Makes me wanna BLEH. It's okay though, I respect your music choices :p

Alysser
08-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Lol, Alyssa, you need to move to Tennessee since we have Nashville and all. But I just can't stand the twangy depressing love songs and all of that. Makes me wanna BLEH. It's okay though, I respect your music choices :p

LOL, Bri I am glad you realized I was kidding ;) AHH I'd kill to go to Nashville. Or live there, I have many plans within the next year, the only thing I don't know is where I'm gonna end up! We'll see ;) I love country because I connect with it so well, trust me it isn't all depressing! Just listen to Luke Bryan, trust me you'll fall fast LOL.

smokey the elder
08-30-2013, 10:23 AM
My taste in music has evolved very randomly.

Favorite radio station plays mix of classic rock, reggae and new stuff. I like a lot of 60's rock; 70's prog rock (Yes, Rush, etc.) Current bands that I like are Mumford and Sons, the Avett Brothers, Heart and Hand, fun. and Imagine Dragons.

My Pandora (TM) feed includes Grateful Dead and similar; Renaissance vocal music; Bach; 70's electronica (Tangerine Dream, Tomita, Synergy, etc.); a couple of folk stations, and a generous sprinkling of sea chanties.

RICHARD
08-30-2013, 10:36 AM
My taste in music has evolved very randomly.

Favorite radio station plays mix of classic rock, reggae and new stuff. I like a lot of 60's rock; 70's prog rock (Yes, Rush, etc.) Current bands that I like are Mumford and Sons, the Avett Brothers, Heart and Hand, fun. and Imagine Dragons.

My Pandora (TM) feed includes Grateful Dead and similar; Renaissance vocal music; Bach; 70's electronica (Tangerine Dream, Tomita, Synergy, etc.); a couple of folk stations, and a generous sprinkling of sea chanties.

TOMITA! I hadn't heard his name in years!!!!

I too am a 70's/prog rock fan and can't tell you how much I spent on going to concerts back in el lay.:eek:

I just saw that Roger Waters seems to have some problems with a tour he is doing in Europe, too bad people don't see just who he is. The Wall is probably the darkest and most poignant album I have heard - I saw the original tour in 80 and that is one of the top 5 concerts I ever saw......

-----------------

And while I don't listen to too much of the newer bands/singers/performers, this song I do like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HoRkntoHkIE
This is another song that is played at the ball park as the players take the field for the National Anthem...

Pinot's Mom
08-30-2013, 10:56 AM
My radio station is WTMD - the Towson University NPR station. Great station - plays everything good and it's the only way I hear new bands.

Music - I'm a Deadhead who still follows Furthur; my husband and I are floating around plans to go to San Fran for their New Years shows. Need I say more?

cassiesmom
08-30-2013, 02:11 PM
I just heard most of this work on WFMT (the classical music station in Chicago). I missed the very beginning. "Adventures in a Perambulator" by American composer John Alden Carpenter. I've never heard it before, and at first I thought it might be movie music. I'd like to hear it again!

"Blackberry Winter" - by Conni Ellisor, performed by the Nashville Orchestra. Dulcimer and strings. I love this piece!

cloverfdx
08-31-2013, 08:33 AM
I am a self confessed Mumford & Sons addict :o. Have seen them twice live in Melbourne with my bestie. Both times were beyond amazing. I check their tour dates daily hoping that more will be added, no such luck yet.

BoaLover11
09-02-2013, 10:54 PM
I listen to a bunch of different bands. Mostly rock and metal, but there are some electronic-y stuff in there, and occasionally I'll sit back and listen to some classical music. I don't really have any preferences for classical, as it's not music I'm interested in, but I'll sit back and listen to on occasion. A sample of bands and such that I've starred on my Spotify are:
Nachtmahr
Centhron
Twisted Sister
Van Halen
Dog Fashion Disco
Deathstars
The Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack
Parts of the Labyrinth soundtrack
The Rolling Stones
Noisuf-X
Murderdolls
Marilyn Manson
Wednesday 13
Garbage
Psyclon Nine
and many many many more. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_fRVtcQq2k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFHmn22PkKU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzhjO1oDBPc&list=FLuzrSY9Rn8Rxra3uIX-GeKg&index=28

RICHARD
09-03-2013, 11:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qit3ALTelOo&feature=player_detailpage

The mean kitty song.

Kirsten
09-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Well, these days, I don't listen to music as much as a used to when I was younger. Actually, I'm only listening to music when I'm driving - or housecleaning!

The songs of Alex Band (singer of The Calling) have been my favourite music over the last three years, and I'm enjoying Amy McDonald's last album a lot! I also like the Scottish band Runrig. In the 80s and early 90s, I was a huge fan of Depeche Mode and Simple Minds.

kittycats_delight
09-04-2013, 04:26 PM
I am a child of the 80's and love the music from then. I also things like Evanescence & Lacuna Coil. Really love musicals on a whole my favorite being Rocky Horror Picture Show. Also love rock like Bon Jovi, Nickelback, Kiss etc but I am a metal chick at heart....through and through. My all time favorite is SLAYER!!! Adore them to the point of having a pretty large tribute tattoo on my back between my shoulder blades and also recently met Kerry King (guitar god hehehehe) and had his autograph my back on the right side near the tribute tatt which I then had tattooed. I am on to get to Tom Araya (bass & lead vocals) to autograph the left side near the tribute tatt and have that inked as well. Fingers crossed I can cross his path on the next European Tour when they are here in Italy.

BoaLover11
09-04-2013, 05:28 PM
I am a child of the 80's and love the music from then. I also things like Evanescence & Lacuna Coil. Really love musicals on a whole my favorite being Rocky Horror Picture Show. Also love rock like Bon Jovi, Nickelback, Kiss etc but I am a metal chick at heart....through and through. My all time favorite is SLAYER!!! Adore them to the point of having a pretty large tribute tattoo on my back between my shoulder blades and also recently met Kerry King (guitar god hehehehe) and had his autograph my back on the right side near the tribute tatt which I then had tattooed. I am on to get to Tom Araya (bass & lead vocals) to autograph the left side near the tribute tatt and have that inked as well. Fingers crossed I can cross his path on the next European Tour when they are here in Italy.

Kerry King breeds some killer carpet pythons. I've seen some that people bought from him, and they are GORGEOUS.

kittycats_delight
09-05-2013, 05:51 AM
Kerry King breeds some killer carpet pythons. I've seen some that people bought from him, and they are GORGEOUS.

I know. Kerry is very good at what he does and has bred some real beauties. My brother knows Kerry actually. He first met him at a reptile show in Houston. Brother is quite a snake 'expert'. He spent more than an hour talking with Kerry about the snakes he had brought and snake husbandry in general. My brother said he had a few with him that were exceptional. He was so excited about some of the morphs and colubrids. My brother is such a reptile nerd. LMAO Kerry breeds dogs too, akitas actually. My brother adores akitas and when Kerry told him that my brother nearly peed his pants. LOL We had an akita a few years back and my brother fell in love with the breed as did I. Kerry is THE MAN. Guitar god, snake god, akita god and he tells it like he sees it. There are no back doors with him...either you love him or hate him...I adore him. I think he is hot as hell too. Never thought that until I met him in person though. hehehehe

carole
09-05-2013, 06:03 PM
deep purple.
eagles.
america.
carole king.
earth wind and fire.
doobies.
chicago.
boz scaggs.
jj cale.
joe cocker.
neil young.
barry white.
katchafire NZ BAND. reggae type music.
stevie wonder.
bob marley.
elton john.
good charlotte.
guns and roses.
van halen.
bon jovi.
Aerosmith.
Journey.
Foreigner.
steve miller band.
fleetwood mac.
steely dan.
Metallica.
The bee gees.
Santana.
Dire Straits.
Michael Jackson.
ZZ top.
Bog Seagar.
Red hot chilli peppers.
Air Supply, great oz band i was on the plane with years ago when i went to sydney and touring NZ now.
The black Seeds, NZ BAND.
Crowded House NZ BAND.
Dane Rumble, NZ singer.
Goldenhorse NZ BAND.
BiC Runga NZ singer.
Goodnight Nurse NZ BAND.
Hello Sailor NZ BAND,back in my day.
Dragon NZ BAND ,also back in my young days.
Rod Stewart
Michael buble
Maroon 5
Stevie ray vaughan.
Supertramp OM gosh i used to listen to SCHOOL full blast, as loud as you could get it lol.
katy Perry.

just to name a few, many more that i cannot think of right now., a lot of new bands i like but don't always know the names of them.

RICHARD
09-05-2013, 09:06 PM
deep purple.
eagles.
america.
carole king.
earth wind and fire.
doobies.
chicago.
boz scaggs.
jj cale.
joe cocker.
neil young.
barry white.
katchafire NZ BAND. reggae type music.
stevie wonder.
bob marley.
elton john.
good charlotte.
guns and roses.
van halen.
bon jovi.
Aerosmith.
Journey.
Foreigner.
steve miller band.
fleetwood mac.
steely dan.
Metallica.
The bee gees.
Santana.
Dire Straits.
Michael Jackson.
ZZ top.
Bog Seagar.
Red hot chilli peppers.
Air Supply, great oz band i was on the plane with years ago when i went to sydney and touring NZ now.
The black Seeds, NZ BAND.
Crowded House NZ BAND.
Dane Rumble, NZ singer.
Goldenhorse NZ BAND.
BiC Runga NZ singer.
Goodnight Nurse NZ BAND.
Hello Sailor NZ BAND,back in my day.
Dragon NZ BAND ,also back in my young days.
Rod Stewart
Michael buble
Maroon 5
Stevie ray vaughan.
Supertramp OM gosh i used to listen to SCHOOL full blast, as loud as you could get it lol.
katy Perry.

just to name a few, many more that i cannot think of right now., a lot of new bands i like but don't always know the names of them.

LOL,

My play list is 78s to CDs.

carole
09-05-2013, 09:55 PM
yeah just a few there ahye Richard, i reckon the 70's and 80's had some of the best musicians ever, of course some would disagree, even the 60's before my time were pretty darn good too..I don't think they make'm like they used to, too many girl /boy bands these days.,however i do like some of the new stuff as well.;)

RICHARD
09-06-2013, 01:37 PM
yeah just a few there ahye Richard, i reckon the 70's and 80's had some of the best musicians ever, of course some would disagree, even the 60's before my time were pretty darn good too..I don't think they make'm like they used to, too many girl /boy bands these days.,however i do like some of the new stuff as well.;)

I am a 'purist' when it come to music, too.

I don't like sampling - i think that taking a riff/piece of music that you didn't write, then add some synthesized bits, really isn't 'writing' music.

Most of the 'B and G' bands are vehicles for songwriters. A 'true' musician isn't that common anymore.
Some of the singers/writers/performers you mentioned are dinosaurs now.:(

I have seen Neil Young in concert when he toured the "Trans" album, he did the first part of the show with the band dressed up like hillbillies, took a break, then came back out and played a synth/rock half that was thousands of miles away from what he started with. I saw the show leaning ob the stage, right at his feet.

A- freaking- mazing.

-----------

Oh my, Do you know who Garrison Keillor is?

He does a show about Woebegone Lake - a mythical place in the Midwest - on public radio here in the states. He tells stories mixed in with musical interludes. I got a chance to see him this summer at the amphitheater near my home.

He was brilliant. Back in the day, I would have laughed and told you it wasn't my cup of tea....
I was totally stunned for the three hour show and loved every minute.

There are tons of videos on YouTube......If you get a chance check them out.

I think you'd enjoy them -most of the stuff is monologues he does - but the music is fun.

carole
09-06-2013, 01:58 PM
I so agree with you Richard,never heard of that fellow,but will take a look on u tube and check him out,cheers.
Sadly I have only seen the eagles and America in live performances,I first saw America ironically when on my OE in the states in Provo Utah in 1976 ,then in NZ. In 2007. They still got it going on too.fleetwood mac are here soon in concert and Bruce Springsteen here next year,not a fan of his though,but don't mind him either,but just cost too many dollars for me.

Christine_Black
09-06-2013, 02:47 PM
I really love to listen to everything, but I usually don't like pop, rap and electro (I believe this is the name...).
My favourite song really depends on the phase of my life, at this moment my favourite is probably The Death Of Me from Asking Alexandria.

My favourite band is Within Temptaiton, I'm crazy about this band, I love every single music from them. :love:
Band and singers I usually listen to: Janis Joplin, Queen, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Nirvana, Jack Off Jill, Nightwish, Epica, Bring Me The Horizon, Led Zeppelin, Blessthefall, Joan Jett, John Lennon, The Beatles, and more...

But I have a great love for country music (I mean, old country, today's country for me is not country)...which is kinda strange...I don't know...it makes me happy.

From time to time I end up liking some new musics, it's pretty rare though.

BoaLover11
09-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Jack Off Jill - now that's a band I didn't expect to see. XD I haven't listened to much of their music, but I remember "My Cat" and "Strawberry Gashes." Only reason I know about them is because of Manson's autobiography.

EDIT: Excuse the title - my laptop mouse must have freaked out again and I didn't notice when I typed it.