PDA

View Full Version : Helpful Hints ... add yours!

Karen
08-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Sometimes there are things one thinks are common knowledge, but are not! Yesterday evening, I discovered one I though "everybody" knew no one else did but me! We were at a fellow choir member's house, and the pastor got pine pitch on his hat, didn't realize it, went to wipe it off, thinking it was bird poop, and ended up with his fingers stuck together no matter how much soap and water he tried. He was wearing yellow rubber gloves to drive home so he didn't get stuck to his steering wheel, when I told him, "when you get home, use vegetable oil, the pitch will come right off.

At church this morning he wiggled his clean hands at me, delighted that it worked. Said, in surprise, "It was great, came right off! How did you know that?" I explained my parent's house has two big pine trees, and as a kid, I also would pick up pine cones wherever I went because I think they are neat! So my grandmother, my mother - everyone knew veggie oil of any sort was the key for removal!

Pine pitch removal: vegetable oil of any kind

And skunk smell remedy - Listerene - soak the dog, cat, object in Listerene for 5 minutes, then wash with normal soap, and it's gone!

What similar remedies do you know for everyday problems? Let's make this a resource thread!

Catty1
08-25-2013, 09:09 PM
To sharpen scissors - use a piece of aluminum foil about the length of the blade; fold it in half. Cut into the foil in 4 or 5 places. Done!

Recycle the foil if you can.

chocolatepuppy
08-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Pine pitch removal: vegetable oil of any kind
Hmmm, I think that may be what Jake and Layla get in their fur now and then. They seem to have it in their fur after being under my trees. One is a blue spruce, the other a pine.;) I thought it was birdy do do and their fur is stuck together. I've even had to cut it out a few times! Will have to remember this.

Karen
08-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Hmmm, I think that may be what Jake and Layla get in their fur now and then. They seem to have it in their fur after being under my trees. One is a blue spruce, the other a pine.;) I thought it was birdy do do and their fur is stuck together. I've even had to cut it out a few times! Will have to remember this.

Yup - bird poop will break up once it's dry, but pine (or spruce - any evergreen) pitch is sticky forever! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
08-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Karen will this also help if you get sap on your car? I sometimes get this on my car and it's so hard to get it off.

One thing that I thought that everyone knew is that if someone was just using the bathroom and they left a stinky or gasy smell then all you have to do is to light a match and this will get rid of the gas in the bathroom. My mom had to do this a lot whenever my dad used the bathroom before her.;)

cassiesmom
08-25-2013, 11:44 PM
My sister showed me this ... if you want to cut meat into pieces for cooking (as for a stir fry), freeze it for about half an hour before you are ready to prep; and that will make it easier to cut.

Karen
08-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Karen will this also help if you get sap on your car? I sometimes get this on my car and it's so hard to get it off.

One thing that I thought that everyone knew is that if someone was just using the bathroom and they left a stinky or gasy smell then all you have to do is to light a match and this will get rid of the gas in the bathroom. My mom had to do this a lot whenever my dad used the bathroom before her.;)

It should, give it a try!

Roxyluvsme13
08-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Apple cider vinegar can be used to clean and is also a remedy for things such as an eye infection in your pet. One of our cats had an eye infection once and we treated it with super diluted ACV and it healed right up.

Also, white vinegar makes excellent fabric softener for your laundry!

pomtzu
08-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Got ball point pen ink on your clothes??? Spray it with hair spray - a little rub - and it's gone. I learned this one many years ago when I worked in an office - something all office workers seem to know.

kaycountrygal
08-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Good Thread!
My friend uses apple cider vinegar (brown vinegar not white) between his toes to prevent athlete's foot/toes (he says it works).

He says it's also good as a window cleaner.

He uses olive oil on his dry skin. I told him because he used vinegar between his toes and olive oil on his skin, he should stick a cucumber and tomato in his mouth and I would call him a "walking salad". I'm laughing as I'm typing this.

Freedom
08-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Windex! Oh wait, that's from the movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding. :D

Sorry Karen, just couldn't resist. :p

redbird
08-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Sorry, I don't have any helpful hints but I appreciate the ones that are listed, very helpful.

pomtzu
08-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Good Thread!
My friend uses apple cider vinegar (brown vinegar not white) between his toes to prevent athlete's foot/toes (he says it works).

He says it's also good as a window cleaner.

Wait!!! He doesn't use his feet/toes to clean the windows after he applies the vinegar, does he??? :D

Sorry - I couldn't resist that one. :eek::D

Taz_Zoee
08-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Got ball point pen ink on your clothes??? Spray it with hair spray - a little rub - and it's gone. I learned this one many years ago when I worked in an office - something all office workers seem to know.

Yikes! Growing up in the family business of Dry Cleaning I cringe at this one. Sure it might work..........on certain fabrics. But trust me, it won't work on that silk blouse that most women wear at the office. In fact, on some fabrics it sets the stain and makes it harder for the Dry Cleaner to get it out. Also, some hairsprays contain alcohol and that can remove colors from the item.

Here is one that also makes me laugh. My mom told me about how to keep flies away. A Ziploc baggie with some water and a shiny penny in it. My boyfriend laughed at this and swore it doesn't work. While we were on vacation at the beginning of this month we saw so many places that had a baggie with water and a penny it in hanging outside in front of doors. I always had to point it out to Bruce and just LAUGH!!
And then last night we had dinner with some friends and somehow that subject came up. Again I was in tears laughing.
This works because the sun shining on the penny in the water creates a lot of sparkle and sun rays which disorientates (sp?) the flies vision. So they tend to stay away.
Unfortunately this doesn't work on cloudy days or at night though.

pomtzu
08-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Yikes! Growing up in the family business of Dry Cleaning I cringe at this one. Sure it might work..........on certain fabrics. But trust me, it won't work on that silk blouse that most women wear at the office. In fact, on some fabrics it sets the stain and makes it harder for the Dry Cleaner to get it out. Also, some hairsprays contain alcohol and that can remove colors from the item.

Guess I lucked out on all the fabrics I wore since I never had an issue. Of course I didn't wear silk either and I also steered away from anything that had to be dry cleaned, for the most part anyway.

I got ink on a pair of cotton/poly blend capris I had on last week and remembered this old trick from years ago. Worked like a charm again.....:D

smokey the elder
08-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Two more things that might work on ink: rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover (acetone). There is a lot of good basic chemistry in cleaning!

Catty1
08-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Another thing to try on ink - toothpaste!

Also when I was a kid and got mosquito bites I dabbed Crest toothpaste on them. Not sure where I got the idea but it stopped the itch and drained the bite a bit as it dried. Now if they only had flesh-tone toothpaste.....;)

For bloodstains - ALWAYS ALWAYS cold water! If you are soaking the item, add some hydrogen peroxide and leave for several hours (depending on the size of the stain). This works better if the stain hasn't already gone through the laundry.

Best spot cleaners - a spray of regular Fantastik or rub the area with cold water and a bar of Sunlight laundry soap.

Taz_Zoee
08-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Another one for Mosquito bites...........rub a penny on it.
I've never tried this, but my dad did and said it worked. :confused::eek:

Randi
08-26-2013, 01:24 PM
I need some advice. Earlier in the summer I made strawberry jam, which I put in glasses... you know the ones our mom's and grandmom's used. They have a glass lid and there's a rubber band around the top, then you close them with a metal thingy. They look like some of these here:
https://www.google.com/images?q=henkogningsglas&oe=utf-8&hl=da&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=t5wbUtrzFYeGswb_1IDQDg&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Well, I simply can't open it. Would it help to put it in a bowl with boiling water or what?

Hope someone has an idea. Thank you! :)

pomtzu
08-26-2013, 01:43 PM
I need some advice. Earlier in the summer I made strawberry jam, which I put in glasses... you know the ones our mom's and grandmom's used. They have a glass lid and there's a rubber band around the top, then you close them with a metal thingy. They look like some of these here:
https://www.google.com/images?q=henkogningsglas&oe=utf-8&hl=da&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=t5wbUtrzFYeGswb_1IDQDg&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Well, I simply can't open it. Would it help to put it in a bowl with boiling water or what?

Yes - either run the top where the rubber ring is under hot water, or just sit the jar upside down in a pan of hot water. Don't know that I'd use boiling water tho - just very hot.

Freedom
08-26-2013, 02:16 PM

When you say you can't open it, do you mean you can't get the long metal bar OFF, or that is off and you can't get the pull tab on the rubber ring to release? I used a firm knife as a lever, and got a bit of air in slowly to help release the glass top. Just lift the knife and you see a few bubbles, hold that position and wait, release and pry it up again, let more air in.

I am clearing out my Dad's house and I found 27 jars of peach preserves and 4 jars of apples sauce in those jars. Being as they were about 30 years old :eek: I decided to open them outside and dump them in a hole I dug in the garden - instant compost! A few were really tight and the paring knife did the trick. Just did this Saturday!

Karen
08-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Yeah, hot water, not boiling! Heat will make the metal expand faster than it will make the glass expand, so it, in effect, "loosens" the lid!

Randi
08-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks everyone! Well, I managed to open it and I've washed my top and my shirt. :rolleyes:

I didn't even have to put it in hot water, but I had to use a bit of force to open it and it slipped, so a bit of it went on my clothes and the table.

I made sure to clean the edge and the rubber band thoroughly before I closed it again - and I rubbed a tiny bit of oil on the rubber ring. So, next time it should open without problems. :)

cassiesmom
08-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Another one for Mosquito bites...........rub a penny on it.
I've never tried this, but my dad did and said it worked. :confused::eek:

A smear of Purell on an insect bite, or any alcohol-based hand sanitizer. My mom swears by a mixture of vinegar and baking soda for bee stings and insect bites, though.

Randi
08-26-2013, 03:49 PM
If you're out in town having a glass of redwine and you spill some on your shirt, go to the bathroom and rub some hand soap and a bit of water on it. Preferably use white soap, though. When you get home, you wash it as normal and you won't see a thing.

krazyaboutkatz
08-28-2013, 01:04 AM
If you suffer from acid reflux and you don't have any pepcid or any other kind of medication, then just eat an apple. This will stop the pain that you're experiencing. I read about this quite a while ago. Last night I woke up around 4am with a very bad pain in my stomach. I've felt this pain before when I had gastritis. I took some pepcid but the pain was still there. I then remembered about eating an apple for this condition. Luckily I have plenty of apples. I ate the apple and within minutes my pain was gone. I was able to go back to sleep and then go to work today without any problems.:)

You can sharpen your disposable razors using jeans. Hears the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Kxiom83Js.

smokey the elder
08-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Jams and jellies are packaged hot, so you can get a vacuum lock! If you can't open the rubber seal, as someone said above, just using a knife tip to break the vacuum will release the seal.

There's also the baking soda/vinegar mix for cleaning. Also great for safe chemistry experiments!:D

RICHARD
08-28-2013, 12:37 PM
To shave?

Put Noxema on your skin first, then your shaving cream.

For stains on blended fabric clothes?

Lanolin hand cleaner - I had a grease stain on a favorite shirt that I COULD NOT GET OUT. I bought some hand cleaner form the auto parts store and tried it on the stain. I was flabbergasted when i saw the shirt out of the wash.
The stain had set and I never thought I'd be able to wear the shirt in public again....

Taz_Zoee
08-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Red wine on a light color carpet - pour some water on it and then cover that with salt and let it sit. The salt pulls the color out.
My boyfriends SIL spilled on our carpet and did this. I was amazed it worked!

Moesha
08-28-2013, 03:21 PM
To get cat hair off of my fabric furniture I use my glove that is made to remove excess hair from the cats. I've found that the better quality gloves work better on the chairs.

pomtzu
08-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Old fashioned toothpaste - not the gel kind - will take the sting and itch out of insect stings, and a dab on a fever blister will dry one up pretty quick too. I imagine it would work just as well on poison ivy and the like, too.

Also cortizone ointment rather than benadryl, is much more effective at taking the itch out of bug bites, since it is a steroid and benadryl isn't.

pomtzu
09-12-2013, 09:52 AM
BUMP

Come on everybody - there must be more useful ideas that you can share.

I heard this one on t.v. not too long ago - and it really is a good one - and very effective too. I've done this and I am so pleased that it actually works. Now that shoe (and no sandals) season is fast approaching, I'll be doing it much more frequently.

Do your feet sweat when you wear shoes??? :eek: No - you don't have to answer, but if they do, here's a great idea to keep them dry and your shoes stinky-free. ;) Put a feminine panty liner in them, as you would an innersole. This works especially good for athletic shoes and for any that you might choose to not wear socks with. Obviously this does not apply to sandals. :p When you take the shoes off for the day, just toss the liner and put new ones in the next time you wear them. I find the longs work best for an average shoe size. Don't peel the backing off of the liner - it's too difficult to get them positioned correctly when the sticky adhesive is expose

smokey the elder
09-12-2013, 10:00 AM
For a wax spill, place the article into a freezer. The wax will be very brittle and come off. If it has been absorbed there's some kind of trick with ironing the piece of clothing on top of a towel, getting the wax to melt and go onto the towel.

Catty1
09-12-2013, 10:32 AM
For a wax spill, place the article into a freezer. The wax will be very brittle and come off. If it has been absorbed there's some kind of trick with ironing the piece of clothing on top of a towel, getting the wax to melt and go onto the towel.

You're right about the ironing of absorbed wax. I use paper toweling and sometimes have to press pretty hard on repeat passes with the iron, but it works wonders!

sparks19
09-12-2013, 04:58 PM
When buttering corn on the cob just grab the heel of the bread (I don't know about your house... but no one in my house eats the heel) and smother the butter on it and then pick it up and wrap it around the cob and roll the corn around. perfect method for buttering corn and lots of it (and the dogs like it because we give them the heel after we are done LOL). I had never heard of this method until I met Brian. :)

Moesha
09-12-2013, 09:57 PM
I have not personally tried this but heard it on the radio last week.

Fresh eggs are very hard to peel. Here is the solution that was given for the perfectly peeled egg, especially if it is fresh. Rather than boil it, preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Cook the egg for 30 minutes. Run it under cold water. Should peel perfectly. It was also suggested that to prevent the egg from rolling around you could cook it in a muffin tin. It seemed like a lot of work to me, but I guess if one was making deviled eggs and needed to cook several of them and have the shell come off easily, this would be a good tip.

Bonny
09-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Peanut Butter will take pine tree sap off of your skin. Years ago we were on a pack trip in the Rockies. I had gotten tree sap on my hands when tying my horse up. The cook on that trip gave me some peanut butter to rub on my hands & by gosh it came right off the sap it is & not my hand. So peanut butter is a good stand by for tree sap.

RICHARD
09-13-2013, 11:14 AM
I use a soda box, the 12 pack that goes into the fridge, to keep plastic grocery bags.

I open up the end that is scored, take out the cans and stuff the bags in......I can pull one out if I need it and
if I get too many? I toss the whole box into the recycling can!

sparks19
09-13-2013, 03:56 PM
I use a soda box, the 12 pack that goes into the fridge, to keep plastic grocery bags.

I open up the end that is scored, take out the cans and stuff the bags in......I can pull one out if I need it and

Hmmm I like that idea. Right now I just have a plastic bag stuffed with plastic bags hanging up lol. I might have to try this

Taz_Zoee
09-13-2013, 05:48 PM

This is a great idea! Only I don't drink soda anymore. :(
I have a bag I purchased at the shelter I volunteer at, made by ladies at the thrift store, specifically for plastic bags. But I have sooo many bags (I'm counting on our county to do away with plastic bags like the surrounding counties have) I am saving up.
I'll have to see if anyone at work has these soda boxes I can have. :)

Karen
09-15-2013, 08:01 PM
From today, I made a batch of cookies for my dear friend's wedding reception. They were in rainbow colors to match the cake, and we set them on platters just behind the cake. It turned out to be a great idea, as there were kids at the reception, and they were drawn like moths to a flame to look at the wedding cake, and instead of the kids poking at the frosting, they could grab a pretty cookie or two, and scamper off. It worked for adult guests, too - so nobody got too antsy about waiting for the big cake cutting ceremony!

snakemama
09-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Baking soda paste makes a decent spackle to cover pinholes in the wall in a pinch!

Edit: Toothpaste works too!

Catty1
01-07-2014, 08:50 PM
I couldn't find the thread about handy-dandy tips, so I am posting this anew.

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/at-home/laundry-101-clean-washing-machine-181200212.html

Somewhere along the way, I failed to pick up on the fact that cleaning your washing machine should be done with some regularity - not, like, never. I figured that the soap in the detergents kept it squeaky clean, and why wouldn't anyone? Oops. The thing is, soap residue and minerals in commonly used detergents are apt to build up in the washing machine, and over time, you might notice that your clothes just don't seem to get as clean as they used to. My washer had just started to feel icky. And here I was just thinking that maybe I had been cramming too many garments in the same load and not letting the rinse cycle perform as efficiently.

I searched around and found about as many different approaches for cleaning a top-loading washer, but one tutorial, a two-step approach, seemed easy, inexpensive and do-able.

Getting your laundry back on track starts with just two items:

• 1 quart of bleach (many tutorials went without the bleach step, if you're concerned about using harsh agents in your laundry)
• 1 quart of white vinegar

Fill the empty washer with hot water, as if you're doing a large load of laundry. Add the quart of bleach, and let the full machine run for one minute to mix up the bleach with the water. Open the top of the machine and let it sit, all bleach-y and full, for an hour. At the end of the hour, shut the cover and let the machine run a complete cycle.
When it's done, start again. This time, when you fill the washer with hot water, add the quart of white vinegar to the water and down the bleach channel and let the machine run for a minute to agitate the water and vinegar. After that minute, open the top of the machine and again, let the hot water sit in the basin for an hour before you let the cycle complete.

Not only did the process make the basement smell so fresh, but I noticed a big difference in how the inside of the basin felt. Smooth and clean, like after you exfoliate your face, no longer rough to the touch with the hard water spots and soap build-ups. It also only took about 2 hours and less than $3.

I've never had a front-loading machine, but there is a different way of cleaning those. (Check out the tutorial on homeguides.sfgate.com if necessary.) Now you've got laundry on the brain, don't you? Here's some more inspiration for your laundry... (http://www.hgtv.com/laundry-rooms/package/index.html?syc=yahoo_emb)
-By Emily Fazio for DIYNetwork.com

I have a coin front-loader in the building here, so will check that out.

Karen
01-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Candace, I added your post to this thread.

Catty1
01-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Thanks! Could this thread be stickied?:)

Catty1
01-08-2014, 12:15 PM
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/18-surprising-ways-to-reuse-greeting-cards.html

Karen
01-08-2014, 07:48 PM
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/18-surprising-ways-to-reuse-greeting-cards.html

I did "Sticky" this thread, and unstuck the holiday card ones now that the season is mostly over.

It is better to post the actual "18 surprising ways" than just a link, as websites may change over time, but text is text!

Karen
02-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Thought of one today - an elderly neighbor years ago kept a cardboard salt shaker she had ocne gotten when she bought salt in her purse. After the salt was basically gone, she filled it with a sand/salt mixture, and kept in her purse so if she was out somewhere and encountered slippery sidewalks - which happens often around here - she could sprinkle sand/salt and wait a minute and then pass more safely!

And with the size purses that are currently fashionable, everyone could certainly add that to their bag!

mon
02-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Salt is an excellent exfolliant as well (ha-ha, don't know how ta spell it. Put in a wee bowl and scrub it into yer face once a month. dead skin goodbye and no breakouts, cheap, natural and effective. For real

RICHARD
02-11-2014, 04:55 PM
I like pickles and anything in vinegar.

After the jar gets some room in it, I ALWAYS have to break out a fork to fish out the stuff in the bottom of the jar.

One day I grabbed a bamboo skewer and used it as a spear - when I was done, I tossed it out.

So now I take a skewer, measure it against the jar and used the kitchen shears to cut it just a little shorter than the depth of the jar and leave it inside.

Now I just have to open the jar and use the shortened skewer instead of using a clean fork every time?

Karen
02-11-2014, 05:01 PM
I like pickles and anything in vinegar.

After the jar gets some room in it, I ALWAYS have to break out a fork to fish out the stuff in the bottom of the jar.

One day I grabbed a bamboo skewer and used it as a spear - when I was done, I tossed it out.

So now I take a skewer, measure it against the jar and used the kitchen shears to cut it just a little shorter than the depth of the jar and leave it inside.

Now I just have to open the jar and use the shortened skewer instead of using a clean fork every time?

And at the end, you'll have a pickled skewer with which to stir some cocktail!

Catty1
03-22-2014, 10:35 AM
A few Life Hacks lists have appeared but this one had things I hadn't seen before - all of them! (3 posts)

Using duct tape. Charging your phone. Hanging your clothes. Keeping chips fresh. … all of these things are just some of the terrible rigors of everyday life. How do we manage our lives with dealing with such time-consuming and mind-bending tasks? But fear not! There are ways you can complete these horrendous tasks while still being able to enjoy your life!
(In all seriousness, though. These super simple, everyday life hacks may make your life a lot easier.)
1.) Use a Post-It note to clean your keyboard.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks101.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks101.jpg)

2.) Use toilet paper tubes as starter pots.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks41.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks41.jpg)

3.) Use paper clips to find the end of a roll of tape.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks181.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks181.jpg)

4.) Use a dry strand of spaghetti to light hard-to-reach candles.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks21.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks21.jpg)

5.) Hide emergency money in a sanitary napkin pouch. No one will steal that.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks31.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks31.jpg)

6.) Cut open a tennis ball. It will now hold almost anything.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks51.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks51.jpg)

7.) Use paper towel and toilet paper tubes to organize cables.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks61.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks61.jpg)

8.) Charge your phone while in airplane mode.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks23.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks23.jpg)

9.) Pop can tabs can help layer hangers.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks22.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks22.jpg)

10.) Use the spring from a pen to strengthen cords.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks71.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks71.jpg)

Catty1
03-22-2014, 10:36 AM
11.) Plug your devices into a power strip. You pay for “vampire charges” when your electronics are plugged into the wall, but aren’t being used. Power strips prevent this.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks1.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks1.jpg)

12.) Use a bobby pin to get ALL of your toothpaste.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks151.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks151.jpg)

13.) Cheap pants hangers from stores create awesome bag clips.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks8.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks8.jpg)

14.) Here’s how to tie a tie.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks91.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks91.jpg)

15.) Keep your pet food fresh and handy in a pitcher. [CC - I use large frozen yogurt containers]
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks111.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks111.jpg)

16.) Use shower curtain hooks to organize purses.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks121.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks121.jpg)

17.) Fill a container with coffee beans and use as a handy makeup brush storage.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks161.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks161.jpg)

18.) Freeze grapes and use them to cool down wine without watering it down.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks131.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks131.jpg)

19.) Put a lazy susan in the fridge.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks17.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks17.jpg)

Catty1
03-22-2014, 10:37 AM
20.) Make hash browns in a waffle maker.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks141.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks141.jpg)

21.) Put a laundry basket in the tub with baby, it’ll keep the toys organized.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks19.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks19.jpg)

22.) Dental floss can cut cakes, cheeses and other soft items.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks211.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks211.jpg)

23.) Empty paper egg cartons can help cool down your laptop.
http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks20.jpg (http://cdn.viralnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/life-hacks20.jpg)

All of these are easy to complete and should help you out quickly! (Aside from the toilet paper tube starter pot. That won’t magically turn you into a green thumb, but it’s worth a try.) Hopefully, these hacks helped you! If they did, pass on the goodness and share them with others.

maid25cats
03-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Thank you Catty1

these are pretty interesting.

the container for food I do already BIG plastic ice tea picture
and the plastic Chinese food container.

I LOVE the tennis ball one. how can you not look at that and smile!:D

11.) Plug your devices into a power strip. You pay for “vampire charges” when your electronics are plugged into the wall, but aren’t being used. Power strips prevent this. .... I DID NOT KNOW THE POWER STRIP PREVENTED THE 'vampire charges'

My mom always used thread to cut the velveta cheese.

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Many great tips here!!

I have no idea if this tip has been mentioned already.. ..
When someone spills red wine on your carpet or tablecloth, poor lots of salt on the wine! When the used salt is turning pink, add more salt, and keep doing this as long as necessary. Leave the salt there for a few hours. Then vacuum your carpet / tablecloth and you will see that the red wine color is completely gone!!
I know it works, because several years ago a brother in law spilled a full glass of red wine on our blue/white carpet...! Immediately I emptied a 1kg box of salt on the stain. Everybody said that my carpet was completely ruined. next day we vacuumed the carpet and....... we couldn't even find the spot where the red wine was spilled on!!!

Karen
05-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Many great tips here!!

I have no idea if this tip has been mentioned already.. ..
When someone spills red wine on your carpet or tablecloth, poor lots of salt on the wine! When the used salt is turning pink, add more salt, and keep doing this as long as necessary. Leave the salt there for a few hours. Then vacuum your carpet / tablecloth and you will see that the red wine color is completely gone!!
I know it works, because several years ago a brother in law spilled a full glass of red wine on our blue/white carpet...! Immediately I emptied a 1kg box of salt on the stain. Everybody said that my carpet was completely ruined. next day we vacuumed the carpet and....... we couldn't even find the spot where the red wine was spilled on!!!

That's a good one to keep in mind! We are not wine drinkers, but know folks who are ...

snakemama
05-07-2014, 12:25 AM
My favorite way to clean the microwave and make the house smell nice is to squeeze a lemon into a small bowl of water (leave the peel in the bowl too) and microwave for three minutes. Let it sit for another five minutes and then open it and wipe the microwave with a sponge or dish towel.

Vinegar works too but doesn't smell nearly as nice. :)

RICHARD
05-12-2014, 02:42 PM
The store we shop at offers points for every purchase and those points can be redeemed at the gas station run by the supermarket.

One problem is that the bar code to accumulate the points is on a credit card that the store issues!

---------------

In order to get the points for each purchase, I have to get the CC, go to the store and use it - I pay cash but still need to swipe the card to get the points.....

I am scared to death of losing the card - After thinking about how to get the points and NOT have to carry/worry about it, I came across this solution.

You will need a

Photocopier
scissors
Tape
Old plastic rewards card or a key chain rewards card.

-----

I used an old plastic card for the next step!

Make a copy of the the credit card - the bar code portion - then cut it out.

I then taped the bar code onto the old plastic card...

---------

The next step was to see if it worked at the store.

:)

--------

The bar code is an optical way scan your 'secret shopping code' - there is no magnetic strip or way to access the account that is attached to the credit card.

Now I can shop, get my gas points and not have to worry about losing the CC, If I happen to drop the 'dummy card' it won't be such a burden and there is no need to call up the CC company and get a new card!

Karen
05-12-2014, 04:11 PM
11.) Plug your devices into a power strip. You pay for “vampire charges” when your electronics are plugged into the wall, but aren’t being used. Power strips prevent this.

This is not true of all power strips. Check yours - if the charger is warm even if it is not being used, it is still drawing electricity through the power strip. Just something to be aware of!

RICHARD
06-23-2014, 02:17 PM
During the summer months, it seems like the ice maker runs out of ice at one point or another?

I bought a case of water in plastic bottles, I took a few, opened them and took about 1/4 of the water out. I put the top back on and put them into the freezer.

Now, I had a frozen bottle of water and a problem!

Instead of adding water back into the bottle, I took a pair of kitchen shears and cut the bottle open.
I peel the plastic off - it it still going into the recycle bin - and now I have a bottle sized chunk of ice that I put into a large tumbler or large mouth water bottle.

The hunk of ice lasts longer than smaller ice cubes in your drink.

--------------

If you are doing to drink plain water, you can take that water from a few bottles - adding it to your drink - and freezing those bottles to replenish your bottle stash.

It takes a little work, but once you get a system going, it's pretty easy to keep a few frozen bottles on hand.

Karen
06-23-2014, 02:54 PM
This is one I saw online, tried it, and it still working.

Want to keep your potatoes from sprouting "eyes" and getting soft? Throw an apple in the bag with them! The fumes from the apple keep the potatoes from sprouting - I bought three potatoes maybe in either mid-March or early April, and tried it - and as I have not felt compelled to eat potatoes* since then, and they are as good still as the day I bought them!

Amazing, right?

*Paul is only allowed limited potato consumption, so having a whole one at a meal would be bad.

Catty1
06-23-2014, 04:36 PM
This one seems like common sense, but I have seen many people do the opposite.

This is spray fragrance - often used in the bathroom. :p A few years ago I wondered, "Why do people spray all over the airspace? That's not where the smell is coming from."

I tried spraying a couple of shots, or even just one, right in the toilet. Worked like a charm!

cassiesmom
07-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Insect bites ... on the advice of two different PTers I tried dabbing rubbing alcohol on some very itchy bites. It worked till I could get home and smear on some calamine lotion. Thank you, friends for the suggestion - it worked great! I've also read that a paste of either baking soda and water or baking soda and vinegar can help. When I was little, baking soda and vinegar was the treatment for bee stings. The "fizz" provided a brief distraction and then the paste helped to soothe the sting.

pomtzu
07-18-2014, 06:15 PM
I like the cake mixes that are fruit flavored, such as the lemon or pineapple or orange, but always find them to be just a little short on the actual fruit flavor. The last time I made what I wanted to be a pineapple cake that you could actually taste the pineapple, I substituted the water in the mix with pineapple juice. Tasted good and gave it that little something extra. I'm going to try lightly sweetened lemonade the next time I make a lemon cake, and orange juice for the orange cake.

Karen
07-18-2014, 08:47 PM
I like the cake mixes that are fruit flavored, such as the lemon or pineapple or orange, but always find them to be just a little short on the actual fruit flavor. The last time I made what I wanted to be a pineapple cake that you could actually taste the pineapple, I substituted the water in the mix with pineapple juice. Tasted good and gave it that little something extra. I'm going to try lightly sweetened lemonade the next time I make a lemon cake, and orange juice for the orange cake.

Ooh - for the lemon and orange cakes, you can always add some zest, just buy a pice of the fruit and grate it lightly into the batter - I do that with lemon cookies I have made for my nephew who is in the Navy, as most recipes are not strongly lemony enough for his taste!

pomtzu
07-19-2014, 08:04 AM
Ooh - for the lemon and orange cakes, you can always add some zest, just buy a pice of the fruit and grate it lightly into the batter - I do that with lemon cookies I have made for my nephew who is in the Navy, as most recipes are not strongly lemony enough for his taste!

I've done that too, and it is good. But I usually don't have the particular fresh fruit in the house when the urge to bake one hits. I almost always have the juice tho.

Karen
07-19-2014, 12:32 PM
I've done that too, and it is good. But I usually don't have the particular fresh fruit in the house when the urge to bake one hits. I almost always have the juice tho.

My mother *always* had lemon juice handy - one bottle in the freezer as well as one in the fridge for current use!

Catty1
07-25-2014, 09:08 PM
<cite class="byline vcard">By Good Housekeeping (https://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/author/good-housekeeping-ycn-1137253/) | At Home (https://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/at-home/) – <abbr title="2014-07-25T16:19:00Z">9 hours ago

</abbr></cite> If you believe baby powder is only for keeping skin smooth and fresh, you're really underestimating its power. Try sprinkling it some on these household woes to unleash its full potential.

1. A knotted necklace
Never waste time desperately tugging at tangled jewelry again. Loosen the knot with a little baby powder and use a pin to pull it apart.

2. Musty furniture
"I like to keep drawers fresh with a sprinkle of baby powder under drawer liners," says Becky at Clean Mama. "This is especially great with antique furniture that has that old smell."

3. Greasy hair
Most dry shampoos are starch-based, so baby powder has a similar effect in a pinch. Sprinkle some on your hands and massage it through your scalp to soak up excess oil.

Related: 9 Cleaners You Can Make Yourself
(http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning-organizing/make-at-home-cleaners?link=make-at-home-cleaners&dom=yah_life&src=syn&con=blog_gh&mag=ghk)

4. A sweltering summer night
Crawling into a hot, sticky bed is no one's definition of nighttime relaxation. Dust powder between your sheets to help absorb sweat and keep things cool.

5. A stuck-together deck of cards
When poker night gets messy, toss the playing cards into a paper bag with a few tablespoons of powder and give them a good shake. Then wipe them with a paper towel.

6. A family of ants
Keep these intruders out of your kitchen by blocking their path with powder (they're not fans of the scent).

Related: 11 Other Ways to Use Tweezers

(http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning-organizing/uses-for-tweezers?link=uses-for-tweezers&dom=yah_life&src=syn&con=blog_gh&mag=ghk)

7. Oily stains
Don't stress over spilt salad dressing. Dab any oil-based stain with baby powder to absorb the grease before laundering like usual.

8. Dish glove friction
"After washing dishes, I sprinkle a little powder into my rubber gloves," says Victoria at Creative Home Keeper. "It helps keep them fresh while they dry and my hands easily slide through the next time."

9. Squeaky hardwood floors
Pour baby powder onto your wooden floor and sweep it into the cracks to quiet creaking floorboards. Wipe away the excess, and enjoy the sounds of silence.

Related: 6 Things You Didn't Know Nail Polish Could Do
(http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/fashion/surprising-nail-polish-uses?link=surprising-nail-polish-uses&dom=yah_life&src=syn&con=blog_gh&mag=ghk)

10. Sandy feet
"Pack a travel size bottle of baby powder in your beach bag," says Jamielyn at I Heart Nap Time. "At the end of the day, rub it on your skin and sand will come right off."

11. Wimpy eyelashes
Beauty bloggers swear by this one. In between coats of mascara, use a cotton swab to dust baby powder on your lashes. "I was surprised how much volume it added," says Huda at Huda Beauty.

12. Sweaty feet
Sprinkle the stuff in your shoes to keep odors at bay. And forget socks -- the powder keeps your feet dry so you can go barefoot in flats without worry.

And one place you shouldn't use baby powder: Around babies. The American Academy of Pediatrics warns against it, since the powder can be dangerous if babies inhale it.
-Nicole Sampedro

Karen
07-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Seeing as the stuff makes me sneeze, I bet 99% of the time baking soda would also work!

cassiesmom
10-24-2014, 04:55 PM
I am trying to clean out my closet. A friend at church gave me a question to ask myself which has really helped. "If you were at the store today, would you buy this?" She also told me to pull out anything I have not worn in the last 6-12 months. I have way too many old clothes and she gave me good encouragement to keep working on the clean-out.

RICHARD
11-25-2014, 03:20 PM
I saw this at a pet resort......

Save the cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper, then fold up your power cables and feed them thru the center.

No more cables underfoot!

Karen
11-25-2014, 03:28 PM
I saw this at a pet resort......

Save the cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper, then fold up your power cables and feed them thru the center.

No more cables underfoot!

Works to disuse them from nibbling bunnies or kitties, too!

momoffuzzyfaces
11-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Yep, Richard that works too. That was what I had to do to keep my computer and tv cords safe from my monsters. The cable guy laughed at me when he had to come put my router in when I got wi fi. But the cords on the old modem were safe and tooth mark free.

Chip had to try it out though and tried to bite one of the tubes. He got his mouth around it but the best he could so was squash the tube a bit not bite the cord. The tubes can always be painted with a non-toxie paint to match your decor if you want. :D They are cheap and easy to replace when needed too. :D

Catty1
11-25-2014, 09:22 PM
I am trying to clean out my closet. A friend at church gave me a question to ask myself which has really helped. "If you were at the store today, would you buy this?" She also told me to pull out anything I have not worn in the last 6-12 months. I have way too many old clothes and she gave me good encouragement to keep working on the clean-out.

Excellent - thanks!

Catty1
11-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Yep, Richard that works too. That was what I had to do to keep my computer and tv cords safe from my monsters. The cable guy laughed at me when he had to come put my router in when I got wi fi. But the cords on the old modem were safe and tooth mark free.

Chip had to try it out though and tried to bite one of the tubes. He got his mouth around it but the best he could so was squash the tube a bit not bite the cord. The tubes can always be painted with a non-toxie paint to match your decor if you want. :D They are cheap and easy to replace when needed too. :D

Imagine - Chip? That innocent little kitty trying to chew something? :D:love:

williamjack
12-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Good to see the full information here thanks to all for their help.

Karen
01-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Every once in a while I need a tablespoon or two of cream for a recipe. I don't take cream in my coffee (don't drink coffee anyway) so got tired of buying a whole container of cream only for most of it to go to waste - it does go bad eventually.

So now I freeze it - one compartment in one of my ice cube trays neatly hold a tablespoon (I measured one teaspoon, poured it in, and it was perfect - small tray, so I froze a bunch, popped them out and have them in a plastic bag in the freezer. This way I can just thaw as many as I need next time I want some for a recipe, and none goes to waste.

Scones, for example, are just not the same if you make them with 1% or 2% milk, which is what I usually have on hand!

phesina
02-09-2015, 06:07 PM
I have a pair of boots that zip up the front, that I have been getting a lot of use out of this winter. The zippers are getting so they do not move up or down easily.

Is there some kind of wax or oil or ..something I can put on or along the zippers so they will work more easily?

Thanks very much!

Pat :love::love::love:

Lady's Human
02-09-2015, 06:29 PM
I have a pair of boots that zip up the front, that I have been getting a lot of use out of this winter. The zippers are getting so they do not move up or down easily.

Is there some kind of wax or oil or ..something I can put on or along the zippers so they will work more easily?

Thanks very much!

Pat :love::love::love:

Beeswax works well.

Karen
02-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Beeswax works well.

Hmm, how does one apply it? I had to use a pair of players to zip one of my boots today! I was not wearing extra socks, so I was able to untie and get my foot out without unzipping it!

Lady's Human
02-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Take a chunk and just rub it down the teeth. In a pinch a bar of soap will work, but obviously won't last as long.

Karen
02-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Take a chunk and just rub it down the teeth. In a pinch a bar of soap will work, but obviously won't last as long.

Thanks! Seeing as I hear we have another storm headed here for Thursday, good to know!

cassiesmom
02-09-2015, 08:19 PM

I am cracking up, that's for darn sure. I read this as "Take a chunk and just rub it down your teeth." :confused: Whoops! Karen, could you hit the zipper teeth carefully with some WD-40? or would that stain your boots? Maybe you've heard what we say in Chicago: "If it moves, but it shouldn't: duct tape. If it doesn't move, but it should: WD-40." I have a friend who grew up in west central Indiana (home of lake effect snow) and she would rub a cake of Ivory soap on stubborn winter coat and boot zippers.

Lady's Human
02-09-2015, 09:24 PM
I am cracking up, that's for darn sure. I read this as "Take a chunk and just rub it down your teeth." :confused: Whoops! Karen, could you hit the zipper teeth carefully with some WD-40? or would that stain your boots? Maybe you've heard what we say in Chicago: "If it moves, but it shouldn't: duct tape. If it doesn't move, but it should: WD-40." I have a friend who grew up in west central Indiana (home of lake effect snow) and she would rub a cake of Ivory soap on stubborn winter coat and boot zippers.

The problem with WD is that it bleeds and isn't a persistent coating. Wax stays in place, and will last a long time.

RICHARD
02-09-2015, 11:46 PM
The problem with WD is that it bleeds and isn't a persistent coating. Wax stays in place, and will last a long time.

I heard a wonderful story about a soldier that broke a zipper and wanted to have it replaced.

He couldn't find one in the catalog, so he asked around and found out that it's not a 'zipper'...

It's an "interlocking slide fastener"?

RICHARD
02-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Zipper repair hints?

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/zip-to-it-fast-zipper-repair-109839307715.html

RICHARD
03-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Recycling plastic?

If you buy 6 packs of toilet paper and cut the wrapper carefully, you can re-use it as plastic bag for stuff to recycle.

phesina
03-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Thank you, RICHARD, for this and the zipper repair link!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

pettypiggy
06-22-2017, 02:21 PM
This is a great place to read about sharpening scissors, i read this online so this is the only tip i know of
here u go https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-sharpen-scissors/

RICHARD
07-15-2017, 11:14 AM

When we were kids, soap on the teeth helped keep foul language outta my brother's mouth and that didn't last long either?

--------------

I wear t-shirts all the time and ABHOR the new 'tagless' shirts.

The new labels - which are nothing more than iron on lettering that fades after repeated washings - make it difficult to find the front of the shirt because they are long gone.

What I do is take a needle and thread - of a contrasting color - and throw a few stitches at the back of the neck line, near the stitching on the collar where the label USED to be.

It even helps when I take my laundry out of the dryer - I know exactly what is the front and if the shirt IS inside out.

-------------

I have tag-less underwear, too.

I have no problem finding out the front from the back.

The holes help?:eek: