PDA

View Full Version : Favorite food Thursday #547

RICHARD
08-22-2013, 04:04 PM
All the talk of pickles and jams made me start to think about my granny and her house.

She had squash, plum, peach, avocado, pomegranate and grape trees/plants in her yard, I forgot the fig trees!

Fig jam, canned peaches and plums...

----------

One of my fave dishes was a stew of beef, zuchinni, carrots and potatoes!

I guess it's time to get out the cold weather dishes.......fall is just around the corner.

Please bring your fave dishes and well gain some virtual pounds together...

DONE?

Karen
08-22-2013, 04:30 PM
I actually have some blueberry cobbler sitting in the kitchen - traditional cobbler but with a little ginger added in to complement the blueberries! Anyone want some?

I have many, too many favorite foods to list them all ...

Lady's Human
08-22-2013, 07:19 PM
I actually have some blueberry cobbler sitting in the kitchen - traditional cobbler but with a little ginger added in to complement the blueberries! Anyone want some?

Can I get some of Aunt Bertha's blueberry slump?

Spent tonight canning 'maters......

applesauce, strawberry jam and mint jam to go, along with picking the acorn squash and turnip.

Favorite foods?

Too many to list. How about I toss together some chicken cacciatore with the last of last year's tomatoes?

Karen
08-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Oh, man, I forgot about the blueberry slump! Wonder where that recipe went? Maybe Cousin Diane has it ...

Lady's Human
08-22-2013, 10:30 PM
Well, I found a recipe for it on a website, I'll let you know how it works (besides, apple hills still has blueberries!)

Karen
08-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Well, I found a recipe for it on a website, I'll let you know how it works (besides, apple hills still has blueberries!)

Excellent! The blueberries and strawberries are still on sale this week!

cassiesmom
08-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Four words: Corn on the cob.

Karen
08-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Watermelon with seeds - served outdoors with seed spitting contests!

RICHARD
08-26-2013, 08:24 AM

Uh, Ok, time to get back into the spirit of things.....Had a tooth pulled on Saturday and am starting to feel a little bit better....

Blueberries, strawberries, corn....All the things that summer is made of. I have a watermelon on the counter that is going to be sacrificed to the gods in about 30 minutes.

-------------

Let's get some lemonade and iced tea to start off with - a piece of toast with jam/jellie and a pot of coffee.....

DONE.

smokey the elder
08-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Favorite foods? Boy that's a tough one. Seeing as I have over 100 cookbooks from around the world, it varies. Among my favorites is chicken paprikas from Hungary; Panang duck curry from Thailand; pho from Vietnam; lamb makhani (Indian) and good ol' chili!:D

Lady's Human
08-26-2013, 11:07 AM
And on the docket for today:

Mint Jelly

Dilly beans

Pickled Okra

Dill pickle chips

And a beer when it's all done.

One of these days I'm going to catch the rosehips before the birds get them.

Karen
08-26-2013, 02:26 PM
One of these days I'm going to catch the rosehips before the birds get them.

Gosh, I see them on various properties, and am tempted to swipe them, but who knows what chemicals office building and other folks spray on their roses, so I leave them be. But am tempted!

Pinot's Mom
08-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Coop made a super summer dessert last night! He took pistachio almond cookies, made a crust, and filled it with fresh whipped cream and blueberries - YUM! I have some to share!

Karen
08-27-2013, 02:40 AM
Sounds yummy, and here in Thursdays, there are no allergens, so I'd love some! :)

pomtzu
08-27-2013, 09:53 AM
I don't have just one favorite, but with cooler weather on the way, some of my favorites are chili, beef stew, and the good old year round favorite of fried chicken! In the sweets department it would have to be cherry cheesecake or a nice fresh fruit, fruit salad.

Now I really want some fried chicken! :)

RICHARD
08-27-2013, 10:06 AM
My hot weather favorite is zuchinni squash -yellow and green - with onion and tomatoes (and green beans when i can find them) wrapped up in foil and put on the grill's upper rack.

How's about some refills.....it's hot and expect to be near 100 with the humidity.....

DONE1

cassiesmom
08-27-2013, 05:07 PM
It's 95 degrees in Chicago today, so I'm drinking lemonade. Who'd have thought it- we've had nice weather for over a week, school starts and it's super hot out.

LH, mint jelly ... can I please have just a bit on a scoop of vanilla ice cream, since it is hot out? Maybe you will set it aside to be served with lamb, though.

RICHARD
08-28-2013, 12:26 PM
It's 95 degrees in Chicago today, so I'm drinking lemonade. Who'd have thought it- we've had nice weather for over a week, school starts and it's super hot out.

LH, mint jelly ... can I please have just a bit on a scoop of vanilla ice cream, since it is hot out? Maybe you will set it aside to be served with lamb, though.

One giant lemonade, DONE!

---------

I want chili cheese fries...........:)