PDA

View Full Version : Today's adventure

Karen
08-17-2013, 09:10 PM
This afternoon was a nice sunny but not too hot day, so we went as we sometimes do to Broadmoor, a local Audubon Society sanctuary. We always see turtles, sometimes frogs, and earlier this summer had seen the cygnets (baby swans) when they were small grey and fluffy, with their parents standing guard. Saw some ducks and some frogs.

Today Paul got some great pictures, the swans are considered an invasive species and so are not beloved by the Audubon folks. We watched them eat the algae and small plants for a while, then they all lined up to change spots -- it was neat how they just naturally all fell into line!

Papa is in the lead, and the fourth cygnet then mama are just out of the frame:

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=56977&d=1376791610
It's amazing how big they are, but they are still dark grey.

There were a couple very small painted turtles sunning themselves, here's Paul's best shot of one

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=56976&d=1376791610

And the biggest delight was seeing a Great Blue Heron - it was pretty far from us, way out in the middle of the marshy area, so I think this shot came out extremely well ...

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=56978&d=1376791610

And just a few others of it ...

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=56979&d=1376791610

krazyaboutkatz
08-18-2013, 02:24 AM
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing these with us.:)

chocolatepuppy
08-18-2013, 07:05 AM
Nice pics! I love turtles!:D

Lady's Human
08-18-2013, 08:31 AM
We have a great blue who hangs around the pond on occasion. Haven't seen any turtles lately, though.

That reminds me, I have to get some tree wrap to protect our apple trees from the deer this winter.

Asiel
08-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Good shots, I had no idea swans were considered invasive, we don't have any over here. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Alysser
08-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Great shots, Karen and Paul!! I love these pictures. I can never capture pics of a Great Blue Heron, so kudos to you for getting that shot, Paul!;)

redbird
08-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Enjoyed looking at these beautiful photo's Kare,, I love seeing animals or birds that we just don't see every day.

cassiesmom
08-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Wow, I didn't know swans could be considered invasive. There is a park across the street from where I work. It has a pond, and a pair of swans were brought there to help dissuade too many Canada geese from sticking around. These are terrific pictures! I hardly ever get to see a turtle in person.

momcat
08-18-2013, 09:21 PM
What a beautiful place! I had no idea that swans are considered invasive! Around here, that's the general opinion of Canada Geese. Love the turtle! It made me think back to high school, one summer I got to babysit the turtles from the biology lab. Great pictures, Paul. :)

Karen
08-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Swans are not native to North America, but to Europe and Russia specifically. Think Swan Lake!

Here they were imported for their beauty, but in some places they can be destructive of underwater plants that native species prefer. The Canadian Geese are also getting to be a problem, numbers-wise in some places, and have extended their range further south than it traditionally existed. Swans, funny enough, have been brought in in some places to cut down on the number of Canadian Geese, as swans are monogamous and very territorial, unlike the geese who can hang about in ever-increasing flocks.

Paul is by far the most patient photographer ever, so gets better wildlife pictures! My camera batteries were dead, so I didn't take any that day!

Queen of Poop
08-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Fabulous pics Paul. Thank you Karen for sharing them. :D

phesina
08-19-2013, 05:34 AM
Oh, what a lovely day.. and what beautiful photographs of so many beautiful creatures! Thank you, Karen and Paul!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Freedom
08-19-2013, 06:33 AM
Great photos! I've not heard of Broadmoor before.

Some turtles feed on the cynets when they are very small. :( We have the turtles, Canadian geese, ducks, swans and herons at Turner Reservoir (where I walk the dogs at Bridgham Farm). I hate going in Spring as you see 9 cygnets and then there are only 8 . . . . I know it is Nature, but it makes me sad.

Did not know swans will move the geese out; that hasn't occurred at the Reservoir, lol, they all seem to co exist. ;)

Alysser
08-19-2013, 10:04 AM
I can vouge that Swans are very territorial and just plain nasty. I interned at a wildlife refuge last summer and was attacked by a Swan every other day walking into the building. :rolleyes:

smokey the elder
08-19-2013, 12:45 PM
At one of my old jobs we had a pair of swans in the pond; they always lost their cygnets to the snapping turtles who also made that pond their home.

Great pics!

Karen
08-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Did not know swans will move the geese out; that hasn't occurred at the Reservoir, lol, they all seem to co exist. ;)

I don't think they "move them out" rather, they limit how big the flocks will get, as they compete for similar resources ...

Randi
08-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Great pictures, Karen... well, Paul! :) We have swans in the lakes here, but mostly ducks. They're all beautiful. People have been asked not to feed them, since the lakes are swamped in bread, which is not good for other life in there. Have never seen a turtle here, other as a pet.

Some swans even get tangled up in the wires and fall down in the street. :(
http://2200n.dk/2011/03/08/se-video-svane-overlever-i-myldretiden-pa-dronning-louises-bro/

Casper
08-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Wonderful photos! I love the ones of the heron. Those are my favorite birds (aside from my own feathered kids, of course!). Like many others I have a heck of a time trying to photograph them. They are just so aware of everything going on.

Its so odd to read of PTers who rarely see turtles in the wild. The lake I live near has many species of turtles that call it home, so not seeing them on a daily basis in the warmer months sounds downright foreign to me! :)