PDA

View Full Version : Vet Prices....

Desert Arabian
12-10-2002, 09:12 PM
They are INSANE! (This is about my rats by the way). We took Fred and Oscar to the vet on 12/02 to get a "physical" done to make sure they are healthy enough for their neutering tomorrow (12/11). They socked my parents $74.20. All they did was listen to their breathing and heart beat with a stethascope (sp :confused: ). I'm not kidding you, thats all they did. Then, we had to take Nugget to the vet on 12/07, because she came down with a case of pnemonia- grand total:$125.90
($37.10 for an "exotic visit" and $88.80 for x-rays). To add to that, Dr. Roussel never gave us her anitbiotics. We called her when we got home, and the receptionist told us she'd give Dr. Roussel the message- she never called us back. Tomorrow its going to cost around $300.00 to have Oscar and Fred neutered!! OI! THANKS MOM! (LOVE YA!)

How much does it usually cost you for a vet visit??

mugsy
12-10-2002, 09:21 PM
You're probably going to hate me, but our vet charges $28 for an office visit, but if you are getting shots all you pay for are the shots that are $28. A spay is $80 and a neuter is $65. He only charges us what he pays for Interceptor. AND he will come into the office or to your house if you have large animals like cows or llamas (he's one of the midwest's experts on llamas) if it's an emergency and that's 24/7.

Desert Arabian
12-10-2002, 09:27 PM
Lucky..... :rolleyes: :D

mugsy
12-10-2002, 09:34 PM
I know we are...and I'm going to be devastated when he retires in a couple of years.

luckies4me
12-10-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
They are INSANE! (This is about my rats by the way). We took Fred and Oscar to the vet on 12/02 to get a "physical" done to make sure they are healthy enough for their neutering tomorrow (12/11). They socked my parents $74.20. All they did was listen to their breathing and heart beat with a stethascope (sp :confused: ). I'm not kidding you, thats all they did. Then, we had to take Nugget to the vet on 12/07, because she came down with a case of pnemonia- grand total:$125.90
($37.10 for an "exotic visit" and $88.80 for x-rays). To add to that, Dr. Roussel never gave us her anitbiotics. We called her when we got home, and the receptionist told us she'd give Dr. Roussel the message- she never called us back. Tomorrow its going to cost around $300.00 to have Oscar and Fred neutered!! OI! THANKS MOM! (LOVE YA!)

How much does it usually cost you for a vet visit??

Rats are considered exotics but most vets will only charge fees for one rat if you brind mulitples. 40 dollars each per rat? or total? oh man that is a lot for an exam.

I don't know why it is costing you $300 for neatuers, unless they are charging boarding and after care fees? rat neuter usually costs around $40 dollars, if you are paying more then you are getting ripped off in my opinion, and I have done a lot of rat neuters. I thought they were getting it done on my birthday? What happened? Good luck to your dumbo cuties. The earlier you fix the less likely they are to get testicular cancer.
:)

aly
12-10-2002, 09:53 PM
All my vets have always charged an arm and a leg. They do all sorts of stuff that isn't necessary and then tell you afterwards. Then you see the bill and they charged tons of money for it!

I am seeing a new wonderful vet though. Very reasonably priced and one of the best vets in Austin. It is also the only vet in Austin who REFUSES to declaw cats under any circumstances. They are sooooo nice there. They give me major discounts on Peka since she's not really mine and I saved her from being euthanized at the shelter.

Desert Arabian
12-10-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
40 dollars each per rat? or total? oh man that is a lot for an exam.
I thought they were getting it done on my birthday? What happened? :)

Yes....$40.00 per rat! It turns out that the one for your birthday was a "check-up"- the one that costed us $74.00

Desert Arabian
12-10-2002, 10:14 PM
Oh yea....she also said that after the operation...they won't stitch it closed, and she said it will just hang open for a couple of days... and also said there is really no reason to prescribe antibiotics. YEAH RIGHT!!!! I DON'T THINK SO! She's probably going to charge us two legs and an arm. There are only 2 vets in my area that treat rats...this one...and another one which I refuse to go to- I can't tell you how much I hate them (long boring story!). So... I really don't know what to do. :( :confused: :( :confused:

luckies4me
12-10-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Oh yea....she also said that after the operation...they won't stitch it closed, and she said it will just hang open for a couple of days... and also said there is really no reason to prescribe antibiotics. YEAH RIGHT!!!! I DON'T THINK SO! She's probably going to charge us two legs and an arm. There are only 2 vets in my area that treat rats...this one...and another one which I refuse to go to- I can't tell you how much I hate them (long boring story!). So... I really don't know what to do. :( :confused: :( :confused:

There is no need to stitch them, it closes by itself. Cats are neutered the same way.

luckies4me
12-10-2002, 10:23 PM
Since this forum will not let me edit my posts:mad: I will post what I was going to add here.

Also it's not invasive surgery, so antibiotics are not needed. If you were doing a spay, then that would be different. I got to neuter Mystic and I helped spay Houdini. It's amazing! I love helping with surgeries!

luckies4me
12-10-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by aly It is also the only vet in Austin who REFUSES to declaw cats under any circumstances. They are sooooo nice there.

Thank god for that! I hate declawes, not to mention tail docking and ear clipping! I think it is discusting and abusive. Have you seen it done? My first declaw I helped in I almost puked!:mad:

Nomilynn
12-10-2002, 10:28 PM
My vet (it's a cat hospital) is $35 for an office visit, unless they don't really have to do anything, and they take money off. When I took Tilly in for her acne, the vet only had to look at her chin so she only charged 25 instead. Also, when I took Tilly in again for the same problem it was cheaper, because it was a "re-treat" visit. A spay is 80 if the cat isn't in heat, and 90 if she is. I don't know what a neuter is because I don't have boys. Sounds like the vet you are going to knows that it's the only rat place, so they are charging you so much because you don't have any other choices. I think that's SO dirty!! :mad: :mad:

luckies4me
12-10-2002, 10:33 PM
Neuteres are very easy, take about ten minutes and are done. You just cut, open, pull out, snip, hold, snip and tie. hehe maybe that will give you an idea. :)

All Creatures Great And Small
12-11-2002, 01:06 AM
We never asked for an estimate on the neutering, so YLL is just speculating here. I sincerely hope it will be nowhere near $300.00, but this vet is pricey so I won't be surprised. I have spent more on the rats in these past few months than I have spent in an entire cat's lifetime. They're just fragile, short-lived animals - they were cheap to buy but expensive to maintain. I swear that after this last crop passes on, NO MORE RATS unless YLL has a job and can pay the vet bills. I had no idea when she got them that they were going to cost me so much. I love the little boogers though, so I keep schlepping them to the vet, week after week, handing them my VISA card..........:rolleyes: :p I think I'll start shopping around for a better exotic vet, though.

wolf_Q
12-11-2002, 01:20 AM
My vet charges $30 for an office visit.....I'm not sure if that applies to all types of animals, as I've only brought in dogs. Have you checked every vet possible to see if there are any others that will treat rats?

12-11-2002, 01:34 AM
Well, they're the only ones within a 25 mile radius, and we take our cat to one of them, so it was just easier, but I do think I will look into some others in the area. It would be worth the drive to see that they get the proper care, and hopefully save a few bucks in the process.

Aspen and Misty
12-11-2002, 06:32 AM
At the vets who treats all my animals but my rats they chage 25 dollars per visit and used to be if we brought our rats in with another animal, like Teddy, he doesn't charge us anything. But the rats now go to a vet who at least know they are a mamal :rolleyes:

The "rat vet" also charges 25 dollars just to see them and then whatever else they need.

Ash

luckies4me
12-11-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
Well, they're the only ones within a 25 mile radius, and we take our cat to one of them, so it was just easier, but I do think I will look into some others in the area. It would be worth the drive to see that they get the proper care, and hopefully save a few bucks in the process.

I can check the rat fancy rat vet listings for you if you would like. The have a list of vets for every state who are recommended by other rat lovers for their rats care. It's the fastest way to find areally good rat vet, and one that is recommended. :)

Andie
12-11-2002, 11:49 AM
Office visit : 9.00
Vacs: anywhere between 7.50 and 18.00
misc meds : between 6.00 and 15.00
Neuter: 34.00
X-rays: 50.00

I usually come off paying 72.00-82.00 a visit

NoahsMommy
12-11-2002, 12:25 PM
Let's see...

Office Visits are $25.00
Vaccinations are $18.00 (LOVED paying for 6+ when Basil came home with Mange!! :mad: )
Neutering is $150.00 (this includes a $30/day hospital stay)

Basil's full blood panel, vet visit, 1/2 day hospital stay and x-rays last week totaled to $205.00

Thank goodness we have Cat Insurance on all three!! :D

12-11-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Andie
Office visit : 9.00
Vacs: anywhere between 7.50 and 18.00
misc meds : between 6.00 and 15.00
Neuter: 34.00
X-rays: 50.00
I usually come off paying 72.00-82.00 a visit Wow - lucky you! The boys just got home; their neuters were $69.99 apiece, so the total bill with antibiotics was about $162.00. This clinic charges $112.00 for a rabbit neuter!!!! (We found that out while she was searching her computer to find the estimate for the rat neuters.) I think they're a little out of line. I intend to look for a good vet after the holidays - this is frenzy time for me at work, and I didn't expect all these ratties to get sick or need their little "packages" snipped :p right away. Hopefully they'll all be healthy until then, the little weenies.

Andie
12-11-2002, 01:08 PM
Wow - lucky you! The boys just got home; their neuters were $69.99 apiece,

I've checked around before (for my aunt) and Dr. Steve (the dog's and Isis's vet) is the most expensive vet around here. I think Fluffy's vet (yes she goes to a seperate one) said $25.00 for neuter, $40.00 for a spay and there is a lil clinic elsewhere that is cheaper than that whereas Dr. Steve cost $34.00 for a neuter and $65.00 for a spay. There really good though so I don't really mind paying a lil extra.

Dakota's Mommy
12-11-2002, 03:35 PM
Yes, I was blown away to hear the price that my husband was given from a local vet to have our two girls fixed. We're going to continue looking around to find out if any other vets have better prices in the area and to see if any of those come recommended by people we know in the area. So, we've got some homework to do ahead of us. Most of our vet stuff is done at the vet on post, but they don't provide the services of fixing the animals! Darn, I was hoping to get that from them at a really good price.

NoahsMommy
12-11-2002, 03:53 PM
This clinic charges $112.00 for a rabbit neuter!!!! (We found that out while she was searching her computer to find the estimate for the rat neuters.)
That is actually a good price to fix a rabbit...if its at a regular vet. Rabbit's are hard to fix becuase they don't do well under anisthesia...they tend to die more often. :(

When we had our bunnies, we got a quote from the only House Rabbit approved vet to fix our girl bunny...$185.00! Amazing!

One place made an appointment for the initial visit. When my hubby brought her in, they said they thought she was a CAT. They turned us away because, like most vets, wont touch rabbits.

COCatMama
12-11-2002, 07:02 PM
They won't touch rabbits?!!? jeeeeeez louise!
The vet I used to live near euthanized a rat for me for FREE and also euthanized my Bunny (he was suffering, back end quit working properly) I don't remember what they charged for the bunny euth, my mom paid for that. They said the euthanizing for rabbits is worse than for dogs or cats because they have to stick the needle in their heart?? or something, so they give them lots of gas first to knock them out.

Cincy'sMom
12-11-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Dakota's Mommy
Yes, I was blown away to hear the price that my husband was given from a local vet to have our two girls fixed. We're going to continue looking around to find out if any other vets have better prices in the area and to see if any of those come recommended by people we know in the area. So, we've got some homework to do ahead of us. Most of our vet stuff is done at the vet on post, but they don't provide the services of fixing the animals! Darn, I was hoping to get that from them at a really good price.

I'm shocked the post vet won't fix animals...seems VERy irresponsible of them...anyway, maybe if you can't find a vet, you could PM Aly and see if her vet in Austin could help you.

Our vet charges $25 for an office vist...$14 for a recheck, and usually if a third visit is needed (like with sadie's ears or Cincy's pimples), there is no charge