PDA

View Full Version : Oh no!!!!!Come meet the newest members of the family! :)

luckies4me
12-10-2002, 08:29 PM
Well my rescue double rex rat that I posted a few days again the hairless rat thread was pregnant! I thought she might have been but then changed my mind. I have no idea who the dad was as she was from a breeder who dumped his rats on a petstore!:mad: They are all rex like I figured. If you breed a double rex to a standard then you get all rex, as rex is a dominant gene. I was going to post two days ago when she had them but with Mystics leg and all I didn't have time.

I was NOT prepared for this litter. I only breed when there is a demand for a certain type and I have homes lined up before the parents are bred. I have a VERY long waiting lists. I will only be charging ten dollars per rat as they are rescues, and I am going to give two dollars off for each pair sold. I just hope I can find homes for them all. She had ten! That is lucky! I could have been stuck with 20! :eek:

I posted on a few clubs so hopefully when the kittens are older and cuter people will be interested. Wrinkles is a great mother though andlets me do whatever I want with the babies, like take pictures, lol. :D I handle kittens right after birth and every day til they go to their new home to make sure they are very tame. Thank god I have enough rat food left to last a month. :rolleyes:

Here is a picture of Wrinkles while she was pregnant. She went from this..............http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/p15871074e512cd389d9e0dfe92091b17/fcf226fc.jpg

luckies4me
12-10-2002, 08:37 PM
I am trying to post a reply but it won't let me again. :mad: This better work!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/pa35927d5a87f22535134ecaa23bfebc7/fcf226fe.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/p44a2d96926fc49bdb1f63bd0ee104840/fcf227a0.jpg

to this.............
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/p2d1fb78109738ae4149dac4b14b10373/fcf2279c.jpg

Ten total, both pink/ruby eyed and dark eyes. I have no idea what colors they will be or what type of markings they will have.
Aren't they so cute though. There is one runt but I think he will make it. I am so glad I stuffed her full of Thanksgiving leftovers, hehe. :p Ok gonna push send, hope it works!

slleipnir
12-10-2002, 09:02 PM
omg! they're sooooo cute!!!! Awwwwwwwww! Thanks for sharing!!

Desert Arabian
12-10-2002, 09:19 PM
What a cute little pear! I never held my baby pinkys, because I was always told that if the mother smelled a human on the babies- the mom would abandon them :( I held them tho, as soon as they got their fur and their eyes opened. I wish I held them sooner.

BTW- I thought baby rats were called "pups"!!??

luckies4me
12-10-2002, 09:22 PM
Nope they are called kittens, or sometimes rittens, the "r" because of rat. :)

Some people do call them pups, but that is not correct. It is VERY rare that a doe would eat her babies. They do not do that unless they are unhealthy, she has no milk or they are still born.

luckies4me
12-10-2002, 09:32 PM
If cats have a still born they usually eat it also. They need to get rid of the "evidence", traces back to their wild cousins.

When Houdini had her first litter, she had a still born kitten. It was WAY under developed, all I found was the kittens head. She had eaten the rest. My roomates cat, who was also pregnant at the same time and gave birth to kittens two days after Houdini, also had a still born. They both had one still born and exactly the same amount of kittens! When Kevin (I didn't nameher that!) had the still born I had to pull it out of her, it was stuck in her for about two hours. I wanted my roomate to see it so I put it in the bathroom wrapped in a towel, I accidently forgot to close the door and Houdini smelt it and tried eating it too!!!!!! It was the saddest sickest thing I have ever seen.:( :eek:

They used to feed eachothers kittens. There would be Houdinis kittens nursing off Kevin and Kevins kittens nursing off of Houdini. You should see Mystic when he was a kitten! He was so cute!:D I should upload some pics of them with the kittens!

luckies4me
12-10-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I call baby rats "ratlings." :p My own word. :D

OMG!!!!! I can't believe 10 can fit on your hand! What does the doe look like now? Any thinner? ;)

We rat people call them that too. :D

She is a lot thinner, yes. It was hard to get them all to fit. I am just lucky she didn't have more. It is a lot harder to place standard ear rats, which is why most of the rats I breed are dumbos. Hopefully since they are rex though, they can be placed easier. :)

luckies4me
12-10-2002, 09:39 PM
And maybe I can generate a little extra income off of these babie for the holidays. :)

Tina
12-11-2002, 12:19 PM
Awwwww!! They are so cute!!

luckies4me
12-11-2002, 12:24 PM
I just had the biggest scare of my life!!!!!!! I went to clean out Wrinkles cage. I put her in the bathroom while I was tidying. Well when it was al fixed up I left a few old toilet paper pieces in there as well as a few pellets and carefresh withher scent and made sure to rub the babies in it. I made the new nest and set the babies in it. When I put Wrinkles back she was really nervous. This is her first litter so she doesn't know all the ropes of parenting yet. She immediately took on the kittens in her mouth and started searching frantically for her old nest. She was doing this for at least 5 minutes with the poor baby in her mouth. I could not disturb her because it would make it worse and her more stress so I let her get rid of her stress and she finally settled down. She went to the nest and started cleaning the babies making sure they were ok. Then she covered them up like crazy, you couldn't even see them anymore lol. She was so thankful for them to be in her nest. She is a really good mom. Now she is feeding them all and they are starting to get their color and have their markings show. What a scare though for that one baby. It wasn't hurt, rat moms are very gentle and it looks worse than it is, but you would think I would be used to it by now, lol. Nope not me,I still worry as much as ever!:rolleyes: