PDA

View Full Version : For Jackie in San Diego

teena
01-24-2001, 03:35 PM
Jackie:
My hubby and I are going on a 4 night cruise on Feb. 5 that will be going to Catalina for one day, and San Diego for one day. We're wondering what to do in SD. We have been to SD Zoo. I have heard something about "old Town". Is it worth seeing? Any other ideas?
Thanks! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

jackiesdaisy1935
01-24-2001, 05:27 PM
Hi Teena:
That should be a fun trip, haven't been to Catalina in years, although our daughter and family go quite often.
Old Town is really nice, it is the old part of San Diego, with old homes etc that you can visit. Of course it has a Mexican
theme. They have Mariachi bands playing on the weekends and lots of shops with sort of international items. If you like Mexican food, try Casa de Pico in Old Town. You can sit inside or they have a large outdoor patio with heaters in the winter and it is very reasonable. If you are driving down route 5 there will be signs showing you the way.
Another place that is nice to see is Coronado Island, we used to have to take ferries but now there is a bridge. The Old
Coronado Hotel is quite a historical site.
The Island is beautiful with the beach on one side and the Bay on the other.
Another wonderful site is the Scripps Aquarium (spelling?)in La Jolla. We have not got there yet, but I hear it's quite the place with huge fish tanks and lots to see.
It's part of the Scripps Institute of Oceanography. La Jolla would also be off of route 5.
If you like shopping, Horton Plaza downtown San Diego is a unique shopping experience.
It has nook and cranies like shopping in a maze. They have the nice shops like Nordstroms, etc., and lots of little shops.
If you like Chinese food, the Panda Inn is the place for lunch, it is moderate.
Most people who come here opt to go to Mexico and I advise them not to. If you get in trouble there, it takes lots of money to get you out.
I hope this helps you to plan your day in San Diego and have a great time on your trip.
Jackie

teena
01-25-2001, 08:21 AM
Jackie:
Thank you for the great suggestions! I wish I was going to be there for more than one day. The ship does go in to Ensenada for one day but we plan on behaving ourselves http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif while there. I haven't been to Ensenada in years but I imagine it hasn't changed much. We won this cruise thru my hubby's work @ Christmas and are excited just to be getting away (although I HATE leaving my furkids!). Wish I could smuggle them on the boat with us. Think we'll plan on seeing the aquarium, and probably the mexican restaurant and hopefully will have some time for some shopping, because, Lord knows, the shopping in southern Utah is not the best. We have to go to Las Vegas unless we want to be dressed in Wal-Mart's best! Anyway Jackie, thanks again for the great suggestions. I have printed them and put them in with my cruise tickets.

jackiesdaisy1935
01-25-2001, 02:12 PM
Teena, you are very welcome. How exciting to win a cruise, that will be fun. I don't think Ensenada ever changes, but it's better than going to Tijuana. I'm sure your furbabies will be in good hands knowing how much you care for them. Since we live in Southern California, never any snow, we are going up to Idyllwild in the mountains to celebrate my husbands 71 birthday on Friday for 4 or 5 days. Plenty of snow there. We all rent cabins, our daughter and family, our son and family and our other daughter and her family. Its a lot of fun and we all bring our furbabies, 6 Schnauzers in all.
The grandkids love it. We get to watch the Super bowl up there. I don't know when you are leaving, but you have a Great Time.

teena
01-25-2001, 02:58 PM
Jackie:
We're not leaving until the 5th of Feb. What a great way to spend your hubby's B-day! Do your dogs like the snow when you go to the cabins? We don't get a whole lot of snow where I live either, but are only about 15-20 min. away so we take my 2 dogs up to play in it just about every other weekend. You guys have a great time at the cabin, and give your furbabies a patty-pat from me.
Thanks again for your great suggestions! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

karen israel
01-26-2001, 09:54 AM
Teena and Jackie!
Sounds like BOTH of you are going to have a blast! Have fun!!!
I've been lucky to travel almsot everywhere I've wanted on my job and I have to say that San Diego is by far one of my FAVORITE cities! A lot of people say that! The weather is almost always perfect and the people are wonderful!!! Enjoy!

teena
01-26-2001, 10:39 AM
Karen:
Thanks! I love San Diego too, but it's been so long since I've been there. I am really looking forward to our trip, but I REALLY hate to leave our dogs. We have a friend coming to stay at our house, but you know how us dog moms are - worry, worry, worry! My rescue girl, Annie, usually refuses to eat unless I'm home. I've only left her once, for 3 days, and she didn't eat, drink or even come out of the bedroom for all three days. My daughter had to drag her out by the collar just to get her to go outside. Anyway, we'll only be gone for 5 days.

karen israel
01-26-2001, 01:16 PM
Teena..I know where you're coming from! I have only travelled once in 9 years. I had to make a choice, travel or be with Cody and of course that was a no-brainer. The one trip, I boarded him, since my mom already has her hands full, but by the time I got to London, she had already unboarded him! She called every hour and when she heard he didn't eat or pee or MOVE from a sitting position with ears back for 5 hours...she made them stay open til she could find a ride to get there and retreive him!!! Turns out, he was fine at home, "pined" for me, but was no trouble (of course!). That's all I had to hear. OOps, I hope I didn't ruin your plans for a good time. I'd go away if I had someone to rely on other than my elderly parents. But since I don't, travel is on the back burner. Don't worry too much!!! You will have a great time!!!!!

lhg0962
01-26-2001, 02:17 PM
I know I told you guys about my Christmas adventure! I took my dogs with me and they "pined" for me everytime I walked out the door. I have decided that if I can't be home, boarding is the next best thing and they are so glad to see me when I pick them up! I think having two, so they can be together, makes a huge difference. I never get any sad stories from "Top Dog". In fact, Honey and Lilly will be there for one night this weekend so that Helen and I can travel to Atlanta to see the Backstreet Boys! What a mom I am to do this!!! We just hope that Mimi and Butter won't kill each other while we're away! A friend is coming over to check on them several times while we are gone.
Have a great trip, Teena, and don't worry about your babies too much. They will be so happy to see you when you return and you can shower them with love. Get them an extra treat so you can share it with them when they get home.

KAREN, where are we going next???? I think we deserve a trip and that Carrie would be thrilled to see us!