PDA

View Full Version : german shepards, rottweilers.

toughCookie
12-10-2002, 04:18 AM
I have heard that german shepards aren't good for pets, because they like to "work" and get sad as just a pet, is that true? does anyone here have a german shepard, that is happy as a housepet? what about rottweilers? collie's(like Lassy)?

Kfamr
12-10-2002, 05:57 AM
Uhhh.... Simba's part GSD... he's just fine..infact there's sometimes when we go for a walk and he just doean't want to go... he stops after a half of a block! lol

slleipnir
12-10-2002, 06:09 AM
My dog is part GSD too, and we rescued him not that long ago, he seems more then happy. I mean, he loves walking and playing, but when hes not, his still fine.

Logan
12-10-2002, 07:52 AM
I think when Sue sees this message, she can let you know that German Shepherds make wonderful pets!!! Her two are beautiful and very much a part of her family. :)

anna_66
12-10-2002, 07:57 AM
I have a rottweiler, and I can't even imagine him wanting to work:rolleyes: He likes being a *pet*!
He loves to just lay around the house & wants to be with us. In many ways he is like a small housedog (only bigger:p ). He lets us know when he wants out, then does his business & comes back in!
Our Husky Roxey on the other hand, she always needs to have something to do!

toughCookie
12-10-2002, 10:13 AM
thanks for the info!

aly
12-10-2002, 11:27 AM
Actually GSD's and Rotties make some of the BEST family dogs. They are loyal and affectionate. When I was little, my aunt had a GSD three times my size and I'd always sneak downstairs in the middle of the night when I Was visiting her and curl up with the dog. He would put his arms across me and keep me warm :)

Sudilar
12-10-2002, 11:55 AM
Too tell the truth, not all GSDs make perfect pets. Some are bred to be working dogs with high drives. Those are the ones they use as K-9s, war dogs, security dogs, etc. They can be hard to handle, if they do not have a job and an alpha leader.

Then you have the more common Killian, Shiloh and Gaylord type. Soooooo happy lazying around on the couch, the bed, sitting next to you, sharing your food, going for walks and giving kisses. The type like my first GSD, Wolf, who came before my children and became their happy, natural guardian. He loved them! Ahhhh, there's nothing like the love and loyalty from a GSD. I will always have that with me.

Stenograsaurus
12-10-2002, 12:00 PM
Go to my webshot album and look at all the pictures under my girls. They are pictures of my daughter and our shepherd mix stray that I found. They get along great. I also had a rotty who was great with us. I have tons of pictures of my girl crawling on him, sitting on him, taking food and toys from him and Kilo never hurt her. Both my rotty and shepherd mix loved laying around the house sleeping the day away.

ParNone
12-10-2002, 12:04 PM
Hi toughcookie!

You asked about collies too. I have a 5 mo old collie and so far
he's a wonderful house companion. He is very active though, not
in a frantic hyper way, but he's always moving. I can already tell
he is going to need some kind of "job" to be really happy. If my
other 2 dogs and I are in different rooms, he's constantly going
back and forth between the rooms checking on each of us, so that
herding instinct to watch over his flock and keep them together
is definitely kicking in. Since I live in the suburbs, not on a farm
with sheep for him to tend, we're going to participate in dog
agility, when he's old enough. They're also suppose to make
great service dogs, so I may try teaching him to do things
like turn out lights. And I may even look into a herding club, so he
can actually herd some sheep. Just whatever I can think of to
keep his mind stimulated, so he'll be happy being a companion,
even though he's not out working a farm.

Par...

edited to add: A fenced in backyard has been a must for my
Collie. He'll go outside and just run at breakneck speed all
around the yard. I think he'd be really unhappy, if he wasn't
able to that.

primabella
12-10-2002, 02:52 PM
my cousin has a GSD and they make great pets. even though the first time we visited to see him, he pinned my little brother to the wall and started licking his face, he's really sweet :rolleyes: :D
my firend also recently bought a GSD pup and i think she's doing fine with him. obviously dogs like this will need a little work to do to be happy, but i don't think it can *really* affect them...well, what do i know :rolleyes:

COCatMama
12-11-2002, 08:58 AM
My dog Juneau is half GSD and half Siberian Husky. Work? what work? *G* He does know alot of tricks tho! and I am teaching him to jump over things.

wolf_Q
12-11-2002, 11:02 AM
My dog is a siberian husky, which is also a "working" dog. He is very good at the lazy house dog role....but he also requires some time out side (or he goes insane!). A fenced yard is a MUST, as he just starts to go nuts running in circles in the house....open the door....and he'll just go ruuuuuuunning all over the yard! They tend to get bored easily....but really, Nebo is perfectly happy being a house dog, he LOVES to be around his people.

ownerof3dogs
12-12-2002, 03:18 PM
I have GSD/akita mix felice, and she loves to be a pet. Her favorite thing is to be a couch potatoe.\

And Herc and Zeus are Rotty mixes. Zeus def. is more hyper becasue of the border coliie in him, so he needs stuff to do all the time, but Herc is more of a rotty and he love to be a lap dog even though he weighs 110lbs!

Also so they love to learn new tricks, I am always trying to find new ones to teach them:)

Cataholic
12-12-2002, 03:23 PM
When I saw this post, I thought my sister was posting. She has one of each! I guess it depends on their socialization, like it does with most every dog...but, hers are ideal companions...with kids, men, other dogs, cats...in fact, I tried to steal her rottie...but, she caught me sneaking away with an extra 75 pounds under my coat!!!

RockyRoad
12-12-2002, 04:18 PM
I have a GSD!! Lady always has a puppy smile on her face. We have a huge yard she loves to play in(and bark to her friends) and she as a nice room to play in with dozens of toys!! Lady is not a housepet, she is a part of the family. She loves being part of the family and is treated like one. Lady is 75 pounds and very energetic! I play with her almost everyday, just like I play with Sally and Floppsy.

COCatMama
12-12-2002, 07:32 PM
Um, also it's a 'German Shepherd Dog' not a German Shepard or German Shepherd
gotta have "Dog" at the end. Sorry!!! just a 'pet' peeve (excuse the pun) hehe

Crikit
12-13-2002, 12:14 AM
I honestly think it depends on the dog. If you go to a breeder that breeds their dogs for working then the dog will more likely more in the mood for work then just hanging around the house and beinging a pet. I know for collies that if you get one that's a little older from a breeder you might be able to request a herding reject, one that hasn't shown any interest in herding what so ever. But I honestly think that even if you get a working dog they can still make good pets just as long as you remember that they still have that drive and desire to work and try to provide for that.