PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Genia
03-31-2001, 01:13 AM
A co-worker and good friend recently came to the aid of his neighbor when faulty wiring caused her dryer to catch fire. He managed to extinguish the flames. The house was filled with smoke. He then ran through the house looking for the neighbor's birds. He got all of them out of the house. He suffered from smoke inhalation and spent the better part of the day in the hospital and for the next couple of days suffered from chest pain and the awful "taste of smoke." We were discussing his heroic act at work and someone said he was stupid for going back for the birds. I told them that because he owns birds (3 of them) he holds a special place in his heart for them and his actions were natural. Then I asked everyone present what would they do. Everyone who had pets (majority dogs) said they would go back for their pet. After spouses and children were out of harms way, they would go back into a burning building to rescue them. I was so happy that my co-workers felt this way. I feel the same way. My daughter comes first, but there is no way I could leave my Jeffrey and Bandit. I have been thinking about this because I have been stressed a lot lately (stress indicator: craving Taco Bell). Deadlines to meet and not enough personnel to accomplish the work, being a part of management and having to make unpopular decisions. I've been working 12 hours a day and bringing work home. I've been diagnosed with a vision problem and things have just been so stressful. My daughter has been such a angel, even cleaning her room before stuff started growing under her bed http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif, but I noticed that my boys, Jeffrey and Bandit have sensed my stress also. Jeffrey has been a lot more calm and Bandit seems to cuddle a lot more than ususal. That got me to thinking; They love me so unconditionally, they sense when I'm feeling down and they offer comfort the best way they know how. They are a part of my family. I think I know how much you all love your pets so it may be silly to even ask the question, but, would you go back?

[This message has been edited by Genia (edited March 31, 2001).]

shais_mom
03-31-2001, 01:46 AM
I would without question go back for Shaianne, she is all I have. I am single with no kids. She is my child.
I am the first person to admit that I would have never thought I would get this crazy over a dog. One of my friends in college still makes fun of me b/c I used to make fun of her the way she treated her dog. I have told her several times- I eat my words!!!
Everyone thought I was crazy for letting her have surgery over a wart. But she wouldn't leave it alone and if she bit it off it would be messier than if it was removed.
I have said this before and it bears repeating. My grandma and mom both wonder where they went wrong with me and my sister and my cousin. B/c I am so head over paws for this dog, my sister spoils her dog (tho not as much as me, she has 2 kids), and my cousin spoils her cat. My sister and I grew up with a dog but if he was ever in the house, hell had no fury like my mother!!(Pardon the language) It simply was not done. So for my mom and grandma both to allow me to bring my dog into their homes respectively is saying alot. My mom has even let Shai come back after she pooped, peed, puked and ran away all the same weekend!!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif
Tho my grandma did say last week when I told her of Shai's seizure, "This dog is getting to be expensive" I will be the first to admit the cost of treatment did cross my mind, I have one income with a mortage http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif But unquestionably my loyalty lies with my "Child". Someone at work actually told me I should put Shai out her misery if she does have epilepsy!!! I said but it is treatable, and he said yeah in humans what kind of quality of life could she have? Well, I am thinking with me as her owner/parent a ---- good one!! But with you apparently none!!!!
Thanks for letting me get on my soap box!!

Margrete
03-31-2001, 02:36 AM
There is no way I would leave my pets in a burning house - or even a collapsed one (I live in California where we have earthquakes all the time). I would definitely go back in to get them if they couldn't get out alone - we have pet doors in both of our homes - and luckily we have never had a fire but at the first tremor every dog we have ever owned races out their door to the yard. They're part of our family - how could we ever leave them??

Angels3
03-31-2001, 06:05 AM
I have a huge scar on the inside of my arm at the elbow where I was 'grinded' by moving machinery as I snatched my kitten to safety. I was 4 years old at the time. My attitude remains the same...many decades later. I would always try to save the pets from harm...whatever that harm might be.

Pam
03-31-2001, 07:55 AM
Shai's mom...One of my dogs developed epilepsy at around 8 yrs. of age. We simply gave her 2 phenobarbitol pills each day (one in the morning and one at night) and she never had another seizure. Periodically we had to take her to the vet's to have a blood test to monitor the medicine in her blood, but it was really no big deal. She lived to be 14. I can't understand someone making a comment like that to you, especially knowing how much you love your dog! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

As far as rescuing my pets from a burning house.....absolutely! If there was anyway possible to do it I wouldn't hesitate for a second!!

jackiesdaisy1935
03-31-2001, 09:14 AM
I would do it in a Heartbeat!

ownerof3dogs
03-31-2001, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't think twice about it. Ever since Kindergarden teachers and stuff have said leave your pets but I have always said NO WAY. I could never live with myself

Albea
03-31-2001, 11:27 AM
I also live alone, with my Golden girl Carina and we are together 24/7 because I'm retired. But when I go out, even for a short time to run some errands, I'm in constant fear that something might happen in the house and I'm not there to help her. Of course, I don't mention this to too many people who think I'm excentric enough as it is, but all of you will understand. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

jackiesdaisy1935
03-31-2001, 12:19 PM
Hi Albea:
You aren't alone in being excentric, we are also retired and we try to take our two Schnauzers everywhere we go. If we can't,
I'm a little paranoid about leaving them in the house just in case there is a fire. We live in a old (according to California standards) house. If we have to leave them home, we put them in an enclosed patio which has two dog houses. We also have a sticker on our front window that says "Pets Inside"
"2 Dogs" for safety.
So no, you are not alone in your thinking thats for sure. We have lived in our house for 40 years

Fuzzy317
03-31-2001, 12:20 PM
I would go back inside to get my pets out of a burning house, without hesitation. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

------------------
Recently adopted by 3 cats: Jackson, Rosie, Fluffy; a dog: Eli; some fish, and my fiancee: Lynn (Vi Co Bi)

Karen
03-31-2001, 12:46 PM
I bet just about everybody here, me included, would go back into a burning house for the animals once the people were all out and accounted for! Maybe Cinder's Dad, as a firefighter, could offer some advice? Smokey, Cinder, you out there?

sammi
03-31-2001, 01:57 PM
I would do everything possible to get my dog to saftey. Yes, its always been drilled into our heads to leave the pets and get out if you have a fire - I could never do that without at least trying.
No you sure aren't alone when you worry about your pets when you are out and they are home alone. I have gone as far as using the feature on my answering machine that lets me call my number and monitor sounds in the house!! I figure that if I can't hear the smoke detectors going off I can relax for awhile! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/redface.gif I would never even admit this one to my husband! I thought I was the only one who felt that way!

Angels3
03-31-2001, 08:27 PM
Albea, I don't think you're eccentric about having a concern for your pet while you are absent from the house. I think you're being responsible & loving. I agree with jackiesdaisy's ideas for ensuring pet safety when you're not at home. We have a large, weatherproof verandah room along the back of the house. A short flight of steps leads into a little fenced (open wire) courtyard.
Our dogs stay in this verandah room when they are home alone. They can go thro' a doggy door & down into the little courtyard...to go to the toilet & to be seen by anyone who comes to the side or back of the house. I like jackiesdaisy's idea of putting a sign on the house telling the number of pets inside. In our case, one pet could huddle in fright under the day sofa on the verandah. So it would be good for anybody saving them to know the number of pets there. We'll now put up a sign. Thanks for sharing this idea.

Sudilar
03-31-2001, 09:58 PM
I also have a sign on my front door indicating that there are two dogs in residence. I would definitely save my dogs. They are part of the family.

Logan
03-31-2001, 10:37 PM
I'm glad everyone feels the same way I do. In fact, I prefer that my animals, all of them dogs and cats, stay outdoors when I have to go out for a while...just in case of fire. It is obvious that we love them all a lot.

I definitely think that if we woke up to fire, as long as Helen was safe, I'd be back in to save Honey, Lilly, Mimi, Butter, and the hamsters as quickly as I could. Scarey, Scarey thought.... http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif

Genia
04-01-2001, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935:
Hi Albea:
We also have a sticker on our front window that says "Pets Inside"
"2 Dogs" for safety.

I have a sticker on my window saying "Child Inside", but I never thought about one for my dogs. That's a good idea.

Albea
04-01-2001, 11:38 AM
Hi everybody!

Thanks for your responses. I knew you would understand. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif I have a fire alarm with a security company and a decal in my door indicating that there's a pet inside. Although I have a fenced yard, I don't like to leave Carina outside when I'm not home.
I believe I'll have to live with this fear no matter how many precautions I take http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/rolleyes.gif

Daisy's Mom
04-01-2001, 08:32 PM
No WAY could I leave my baby in a burning house. Being too young to have kids, Daisy is my baby and I couldn't let her die. My family thinks I am nuts too. We had a conversation about what you would grab first if you could only get one thing out of our burning house, and I said Daisy withut even thinking about it. There's just no way I could live with myself if I didn't risk my life for her the way I know she would risk her life to save me.

wolflady
04-02-2001, 12:21 PM
I agree with everyone on this board! There's NO WAY that I would want to leave my babies inside of a burning house! Pets bring so much joy and unconditional love, that I can't see how someone wouldn't want to try and rescue their loved one! Like most of you here have experienced, people sometimes think I'm a little "loony" when it comes to being an animal afficionada.

Shai's mom, I can't believe someone had the gall to say that to you about Shai and her possibly having epilepsy! Obviously they are quite misinformed! Pam's right, they can live a long, and pretty normal life aside from taking a couple of pills a day. No big deal! That was a pretty dumb thing for that person to say, especially since they probably know how much you love your pet!! Reading about Shai is making my desire to rescue a greyhound increase!:-) I recently bought a book about it. Very interesting reading!
Margrete, are you a neighbor? I moved out to the San Jose area from IN last November. I live in Gilroy, but work in San Jose on N. 1st street...
Hugs to everyone and their babies!!

04-02-2001, 06:25 PM
Hi, all. Cinder here ~

I asked my Firefighter Dad how to comment on this subject - he said it would be impossible to tell everyone reading this how to act in every possible scenario that they might encounter. He suggested we consider *Preventing* the problem from happening in the first place!

Make your and your pet's home or apartment is fire safe:
Train the FurKids: no jumping near lamps or chewing on cords
Don't leave appliances on when you go away - even for a minute
Have SEVERAL smoke detectors - one on every level
Invest in a monitored alarm system
Ask your local Fire Department to do a safety survey of your home
Ask a friend to enter and check the home every 4 or 5 hours
Organize a Neighborhood Watch to be observant for fires
Look at your candles - don't ever light one (sorry candle-lovers)
Inspect & Clean chimneys - Often
Inspect major appliances & heating units at least yearly
Ask your Fire Department if they use Invalid and/or Pet signs
Practice Fire Safety 24/7 and 365
Leave the screen off one window in each room (easier to escape)
Teach FurKids to sleep in your room (you won't have to search for them)

As for attempting to rescue your FirKid from a fire? You'll have to make that call. Base your decision on what you see and/or know about the severity of the smoke and fire. My Dad is a trained Firefighter - he knows how to search with a buddy with complete turnout gear and an air pack on his back. Would he search OUR house for Smokey, Boots the Kat and Me WITHOUT his gear on and with no buddy?
Yes - willingly and knowing it might injure or kill him - BUT he'd also be using all his Firefighter training and search & rescue skills to make it quick and less dangerous. (Stuff like crawl on his tummy, cover his mouth & nose with a wet cloth, search in a exact and consistant pattern, etc, etc.) Years of experience would give him an edge and maybe he'd pull it off... Would any Fire Chief suggest that a civilian should try it? Never!

Thanks, Dad. Let's hope nobody has to experience either a fire or a missing pet.

------------------
/s/ Cinder & Smokey
the Rescued & Adopted
FurKids of *Phred*

shais_mom
04-03-2001, 09:48 PM
Wolflady:
Good book to get is Grey tales or something like that very good rescue story book.
And another one is Ratzo it is aimed towards 11-12 year old readers but it is still good.

Karen
04-03-2001, 10:54 PM
Cinder, thank your Dad for the good advice for all of us - fire prevention is so much more important than worrying about what-ifs. And we know that Drew Barrymore's dog, and many pets of less famous people, are better sniffers and quicker to react to fire than us dull-nosed two-legged creatures.

Gio
04-04-2001, 06:55 AM
I also would not hesitate I could never live with myself if I didn't try my best to save my babies. Besides fire I also worry about people breaking in (unfortunately is a recurrent thing over here), I would accept much if they took everything away, but I would be devastated if they did anything to my pets.

Cinder and Smoke please thank you dad for the advice.

karen israel
04-04-2001, 07:40 AM
Yeah! The first thing Drew Barrymore said was she was glad all her pets were safe. She rescued the dog that alerted her to the fire-talk about payback!
As 2nd owners of our house, we learned later that the only reason the 1st owners moved was because their GSD died in a smoke fire and they couldn't live there without him The smoke fire started by dust accumilating inside the openings of the TV...
But yes, I SO agree with everyone, I am so relieved that I'm no the only person who would rush back in to rescue their pet. Not to make light of the matter, but I think if I yelled "cheese!" Cody would follow my voice and fly out the door! I hope it would be that easy! I hope I never have to find out! Terrifying thought!

ownerof3dogs
04-04-2001, 12:01 PM
I didn't hear about Drew's story. What happened? what kind of dog does she have?

Karen
04-04-2001, 05:46 PM
Drew's dog is a mongrel, I think. Here is all I could find, from Salon.com of February 21st:

AND SPEAKING OF DOGGIE DEVOTION

Drew Barrymore and Tom Green apparently have their dog, Flossie, to thank for saving them from the fire that engulfed their Los Angeles home and left it a charred ruin early Sunday morning.

When flames broke out around 3:30 a.m., faithful Flossie barked and, according to Barrymore's spokesman, Eddie Michaels, "literally banged on their bedroom door," allowing the affianced couple to escape unharmed.

"We're great," Barrymore told reporters at the scene, according to the Associated Press.

"Other than the fact that the home burned down," Green added.

Well, yes. There is that.