PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

COCatMama
12-09-2002, 07:29 PM
I have been giving some thought to going to school P/T at night and get my grade 12. I did not finish high school and in my early twenties I got my GED. I graduated from college with a certificate in Office Assistant (which I now do for a living). Some ppl tell me I shouldn't bother getting my Grade 12, and it would take a long time as I only have one Grade 12 credit (acting, lol). I am almost 29 years old....

toughCookie
12-09-2002, 07:50 PM
I don't know why they would tell you that you shouldn't bother...if that's something you would like to do, then you should do it! good for you! I was about 30 or 31 when I got my G.E.D.
it felt good to do that.

good luck to you!:) :cool:

COCatMama
12-09-2002, 07:53 PM
It would be alot of work, and I still haven't completed my dream of getting my driver's license :/. But you can't wait your whole life to do things, you could get hit by a bus or something.

NoahsMommy
12-09-2002, 09:17 PM
I may not totally understand what you mean by completing grade 12. Here, if you get your GED, you are an official High School graduate.

Is this something that you just want to do for yourself? If so, go for it! Never stop learning...

COCatMama
12-09-2002, 09:39 PM
GED here is the equivalent of Grade 12, but does not replace it. It would be for me (also good for the resume eh? ) :)

NoahsMommy
12-09-2002, 09:48 PM
Well then, go for it!

I go to college at night, and while its hard....it'll be worth it. If you ever need someone to talk with, I'm here. :)

Soledad
12-09-2002, 10:00 PM
Why not go straight into a tertiary course instead?

NoahsMommy
12-09-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
Why not go straight into a tertiary course instead?
Can you do that Lalania? (without grade 12?)

Soledad
12-09-2002, 10:20 PM
I think you can as long as you have your GED. My friend's boyfriend had a GED and went to a community college, and then onto a university.

NoahsMommy
12-09-2002, 10:41 PM
I would think so too, but she said that 12th grade isn't included in her GED. I've never heard of that...

Cataholic
12-10-2002, 09:27 AM
Lalania,
Help us understand the educational system in Canada....here in the states, you can either graduate from high school- which means you completed all the state's requirements- usually done through graduating from the 12th grade (though it is possible to not complete the 12th grade if you do summer school, and finish up earlier) or you can test for your General Equivelency Degree (your GED). With either you can get into college (tertiary education), though it might be a little more difficult with a GED...so, help us out, tell us what you are faced with in the North...

catland
12-10-2002, 05:19 PM
I don't think that you are ever too old to continue your education. If it would make you feel better about yourself, then give it a try.

I went back to school when I was almost 29. I can even say that I married my college sweetheart because he was also a school returnee after a decade away from school.

Listen to your gut instinct - if it says go to school, then do so. I don't think you will regret that decision.

Lillycat
12-10-2002, 06:10 PM
perhaps you need to decide what you want to do first....to see if the step you are considering is necessary for your "means to an end"......if you already know this/that.....than you need to decide if the step you are considering is a "personal goal" to you. all in all , i am a believer in pursuing education.....

mugsy
12-11-2002, 02:41 AM
My advice is to go with what YOU want and not listen to all the naysayers out there. If YOU want to finish the 12th grade just for the piece of mind if nothing else, then do it. I'm sure it would feel good to tie up loose ends. It sounds like college has already happened for you, but if you want to go to a 4 year university, GO FOR IT!!!

nsweezie
12-11-2002, 08:25 AM
I think that I will chime in here, because this is sort of what I do for a living, advise people on adult education options.
The GED is considered a high school equivalent, but the problem arrises sometimes if someone wants to go to university, as not all universities will accept the GED. Most will, but there are exceptions, so if you wanted to go to a specific university then the best bet is to contact the particular school.
I really applaud you for considering this step, it isn't easy, but I'm sure that you already know that!

COCatMama
12-11-2002, 08:35 AM
I wouldn't be doing it to get into higher education :) I've already done some college...I would go back to school just for me. Like I said GED means the equivalent as grade 12 but it's not exactly the same thing. You can get into alot of college and university programs with a GED I'm sure. I guess I feel kind of cheated that I didn't finish high school like most of the people I know, and I guess I need to prove to myself I can do it?

Thanks for the replies and advice :)

Corinna
12-11-2002, 10:00 AM
I say do what makes you feel more complete. I do have to say life is a continuing education(at least here in our house) I have kept learning as I home schooled both my kids. My son and I are working on his GED and I think anyone who completes it knows more than a high school grad(now teachers don't get mad)I am a hs grad and half the stuff Ben is needing to know I haven't a clue on. It is possible to go to school and not learn any thing , one district in Washington has a ploicy that after 5 years of HS they graduate you.
Back to the question, if you do decide on higher ed. community colleges are a great way to start in to higher Ed completeing one 2 year program gets you in to most of universtys GED or not. Good luck and follow your heart.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-11-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Lalania
I would go back to school just for me. .......I guess I feel kind of cheated that I didn't finish high school like most of the people I know, and I guess I need to prove to myself I can do it?

I think that answers your own question. :)

If it's something you want to do, then do it, and who cares what others think. If it will make you feel better about yourself and your life, there is no way that it can be a bad thing.

Good luck!

NoahsMommy
12-11-2002, 12:10 PM
I agree....do it! It'll make you feel great about yourself.

I am all for continuing education, be in in a school or life experiences. You have to grow to be a better person.

Good luck! You'll do great! :)

COCatMama
12-11-2002, 07:07 PM
I really really want to go back to school but working F/T and going to school P/T will be a major hassle!! also because I can only go to school P/T it will take *ages* to finish. But I am prepared to at least look into it. I made some calls today, waiting to hear back from some lady at the local college (she never answered her phone all day, I HATE that!) I will probably do some research on the net as well.