PDA

View Full Version : Me and Clover's horrible night (update: paw pictures on page 2)

Sowa
07-03-2013, 03:40 PM
July 1st I went to see the fireworks. I was thinking of bringing Clover but figured I better not in case she gets scared. I asked Dad to bring her outside the house for a minute to see how she'd react so i'd know and he could put her back if she was scared. I figured she'd be fine, since she's never been afraid of loud noises and previous years she wasn't upset from inside at the fireworks.

After the first firework, she bolted, pulled the leash out of my dads hand and took off. I burst into tears when I found out and began looking. After about an hour of looking we called the police station and someone reported a dog got hit by a car, a lab. So I expected the worst and was so upset I had a panic attack and couldn't breath. We got to the vet (someone dropped her off) and I was told she wasn't hit by a car from what they could see. They did a bunch of tests and blood work. She had to stay over night to be sure she'd be ok. All the tests (expect that night) came back good. They said they couldn't see any sign of her being hit by a car. However her feet were all torn up. All 4 paws are now bandaged. She's on pain meds and antibiotics. She seems to be getting better but she still isn't herself.

I'm a little worried she'll be traumatized forever and won't ever be herself again....I've been spoiling her rotten and taking extra good care of her. I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am she's ok. I couldn't take it if something happened to her. I love her more then anything, and I'm so mad at myself for thinking she'd be ok outside my house. I should have just left her safe inside.

Here is a picture.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/2013-07-03172030_zps41e4a8ee.jpg

Taz_Zoee
07-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Oh no, poor Clover!

I'm not a dog expert, by any means, but I think you should just go on with life as usual. Spoiling her rotten is only enforcing the behavior and she could just continue with the "different" way she is acting. Sure, she is traumatized, don't get me wrong. And a little spoiling won't hurt. ;)
But don't baby her anymore (assuming that is what you were doing). Just treat her as you did before. Once she sees you are fine, then she should be fine.

Again, please don't take this the wrong way. AND I am only talking. Who knows what I would do if I were in that situation myself? I might do exactly what you are doing. But I would hope someone would let me know if that was the wrong thing to be doing. And hopefully more experienced dog owners here will say if I am right or wrong. If I am wrong, then I apologize up front.

I do hope she heals up quickly on her pawsies and that she get back to her usual self soon. And I really am sorry the whole thing happened to you and Clover.

Karen
07-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Awww, poor Clover and poor you! She must have been so scared! Thank goodness she was found, and we hope her paws heal lickety split!

Sowa
07-03-2013, 04:39 PM
I don't think a couple days of being spoiled will hurt her. (she's spoiled on regular days a little too :o) She has a lot of trouble walking, barely moves, and won't eat much. I'll do whatever I can to make her comfortable and happy :) She's so excited when I come home from work. She'll whine and wiggle her body til I get over to see her. :)

Karen
07-03-2013, 05:08 PM
she's spoiled on regular days a little too :

I think that's an understatement! ;) Give her a kiss on top of that head for me!

chocolatepuppy
07-03-2013, 09:14 PM
How scary! Get better Clover.:love:

SWHouston
07-04-2013, 04:08 AM
Poor Clover and poor you as well...
But, I have to go along with Taz on the spoiling, get Clover back to business as usual asap.
Did I miss something, but was it determined how/why her paws were injured ?

Freedom
07-04-2013, 07:34 AM
I agree w/ Cindi, back to normal, no molly coddling!

And I agree w/ SWHouston, how did her paws get so hurt?

Dogs and fireworks, dogs and parades, these thing just do not mix.

I'm so glad she is back home with you.

cloverfdx
07-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Poor dog :(. Dogs and fireworks are a disaster waiting to happen, very lucky you got her back in one piece.

Get well soon poor Clover :(.

pomtzu
07-04-2013, 08:26 AM
So sorry that this happened, but relieved to hear that Clover is okay.

I too can't help but wonder how her paws got injured so badly that they have to be bandaged. Part of the problem of her not walking much can be attributed to the fact that her paws are wrapped up - something that is very foreign to her and of course she doesn't understand. She's probably wondering - "why is this stuff on my feet?" :eek:

Hope that she'll be back to her old self very soon.

kaycountrygal
07-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Clover got scared, ran, and injured her feet. I know you must have been very upset ... probably are to some extent. I agree with others who said she probably isn't walking much because of the bandages on her feet. Both of you hang in there!! She'll be alright.

Sowa
07-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Here is picture from today. She has pink wraps.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/2013-07-04175159_zpsf5297049.jpg

Also when I say she's spoiled I just mean she's getting some canned food mixed in with her food, also she needed help standing up as well as getting extra hugs and kisses. I think it's more so to make me feel better :o

As for how they got so bad. The vet says it's just from running full speed on the pavement. I really didn't expect this to happen. I thought she'd just go inside if she was frightened. I think it might have a little to with last week when someone sprayed pet correcter next to her and it scared her a lot. She's never been afraid of loud noises at all up to that point. I know you probably think I'm a bad owner to let this happen, trust me I never would have let it happen if I had known she'd be so afraid. I didn't even take her to where they were, she was just outside my front door.

Alysser
07-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Fireworks on are the BANE of my existence ever since I got a dog who is terrified of them. Mikey is HORRIFIED. There was one 4th of July where I literally thought he was going to have a heart attack. He is in the kennel for the next two days because we're all going out tonight in hopes that he may not hear them. The kennel is far off from any main road so I am hoping for the best. But he will be safer there because if he ever ran off he'd be killed.

Anyway, I am so sorry this happened to you and Clover! I can imagine you being a wreck, especially after hearing that a lab had been hit by a car, how horrible!! I am so so glad she is okay and safe:D

Clover you still look cute even with your pawsies all bandaged, pink is your color.

She'll bounce back, they always do. :)

krazyaboutkatz
07-04-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I'm glad that she's now home and safe. I'm sure that once her bandages are off that she'll be able to walk around just fine. I hope she heals up quickly.:)

Asiel
07-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Fireworks never bothered any of my dogs or the horses for that matter but my neighbour has to close the blinds and she plays loud music ...the dogs still hear the fireworks a bit and she still has a hard time with them but better than having them run crazy and hurt themselves.
I'm glad everything worked out okay for Clover-----wondered how she could have had such bad sores on her feet--I was thinking she might have stepped on a small fire someone had lit to start the fireworks... I hope she keeps on mending without trouble.

SWHouston
07-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Sweet Clover, Pink is definitely your color ! :cool:

Once those little patuties of yours heal, you need to get more hard surface/concrete time, where something like this won't happen again.

snakemama
07-05-2013, 01:33 AM
Shame on anyone who would think you were a bad owner for that, you were seeing how she would react, and she slipped her leash!

When Star was alive (Before she went deaf) she once chewed her way through a solid wood door, breaking off three of her teeth in the process, during a fireworks show. We knew she was afraid of fireworks, so we had her indoors with the radio playing and the TV on to muffle the sound, and she just reacted worse than any of us could have imagined. I gotta admit, it was a bit of a relief to us when Star went deaf and no longer panicked at thunderstorms, fireworks, and the dryer. -_-

Miss Clover, feel better soon! I hope tonight isn't too scary and your feet are all back to normal ASAP!

cassiesmom
07-05-2013, 05:57 AM
Hugs and prayers for Clover and her people :love: Fireworks are hard for pets. I was just reading Facebook updates and saw notes from two friends whose dogs were very stressed by the noise.

Sowa
07-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Thanks everyone. Clover seems to be improving everyday. Her feet are looking better too. I got to watch them redo it today and had a look at them with the bandage off. Only one paw was red and bleeding a little when they took off the gauze. She's getting up easier and is more willing to go outside. Unfortunately it's incredibly hot the past couple days so it's been very uncomfortable for her. I have her in the basement right now cause it feels almost like A/C down there. She's sleeping peacefully now. I'm not sure if I'll ever feel comfortable letting her off leash again...I'll worry she'll hear a noise and be gone again....I don't know what to do because she loved her off leash time and I feel every dog needs it. I don't like dog parks either, too many aggressive dogs.

Sowa
07-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Clover is doing much better today. She got 3 of her wraps removed. She'll still need booties on when she goes outside until they're healed up more. Ever since she had them off, she's been acting more like herself. She's been getting up and moving around, she even picked up her favorite toy for the first time and carried it around. That made me so happy to see! She's been licking her feet a lot, but I think a lot of it is because she was so itchy having them wrapped up all week. I might have to put the cone of shame on though if she doesn't stop :( The vet said he was surprised to see them healing so quickly. I'm glad she's feeling more like herself again :)

Karen
07-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Oh, thanks goodness! Glad she's feeling so much better! That must have been so cute, and such a huge relief, to see her carrying her toy around!

Roxyluvsme13
07-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Poor Clover :( All my dogs hate fireworks with a passion as well. Glad to hear she is healing up nicely and returning to herself! :)

*LabLoverKEB*
07-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Poor girl :( The same exact thing happened to my co-workers dog, torn up paws on all 4. She brought her into work ( I'm a registered veterinary technician) and out Dr sent her hope with Rimadyl (for pain and inflammation) and Cefpodoxime (antibiotics). Both Clover and my co workers dog got so freaked out they took off at full force and they basically have skid marks on their paws. I hope Clover girl gets to feeling better soon!

Casper
07-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Oh my, poor girl. :( Glad she is healing well and getting back to her old self. I think I would be the one traumatized if Towser would have ran off like that! The 4th was his first time experiencing fireworks and thankfully they don't phase him in the slightest.

Pawsitive thoughts for Miss Clover! :love:

Taz_Zoee
07-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Aww, so glad to hear she is almost back to her old self again. :)

Clover, stop licking or you'll have to wear the cone. And that's NOT fun!!

kaycountrygal
07-08-2013, 05:35 PM
I'm glad to hear Clover is feeling better. I thought she would recover with her bad feet but I too would be concerned about her reaction to any future loud noises. Poor dog; it really must terrify her. My outside dog Annie leaves her doghouse which is in a closed in carport (goes through doggy door) and goes under an old building when it thunders. She would be safe just staying in her doghouse but she wont stay there in a tstorm. So glad Clover is better.

cassiesmom
07-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Dear Clover, I hope you are able to leave your feeties alone. No cone for you please, sweety. *kissie*

Sowa
07-09-2013, 10:54 AM
All 4 wraps are off her feet now. I think they still have a long way to go but she's getting there. I keep her winter booties on most of the time so she doesn't rehurt them or lick them too much (which she is doing) I had to put her cone on for a bit today and she was so miserable :( She kept bumping into things when she walked around.

I took some pictures of her feet today so you can get an idea how they were. They've come a long way. There were bleeding and worn right through the pad. Poor girl. You can't see all the cuts from my photos. They look amazing compared to the first day.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/IMG_3794_zps673ce939.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/IMG_3795_zps4e32c777.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/IMG_3798_zps65c1a8fc.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/IMG_3799_zps6b287f61.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/IMG_3800_zpsac41ac50.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x258/darktora07/IMG_3801_zps1b8d9d5e.jpg

SWHouston
07-09-2013, 01:53 PM
From what I see there, she ran across a patch of sharp (probably glass) objects, and cut skin off of her paws. I see a reasonable thickness of skin outside the area of damage. So, my previous assumption of thinness/weakness in that area was incorrect, and didn't happen from just a desperate dash away in fear. It would have been a LOT worse if that had been the case. In fact, there's NO telling what she ran into out there.

My (presumption) of her running over Glass presents an additional problem.
IF that was the case, with her trying to lick/clean the damaged areas, she may have swallowed some glass. Was there ever an X-Ray taken of her intestinal tract ? However, IF there was anything there that could cause a problem, it is very likely it (blood discharge from anus) would have shown up by now. Possibly a Fecal Swab and check for Blood would be in order at this late date.

I can see that healing well in time. ;)

cassiesmom
07-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Dear sweet Clover, I wish I could make your paws all better! I hope they heal fast!

Sowa, I'm sure you will figure out how to give Clover the off leash time she enjoys. (((HUGS)))

Sowa
07-12-2013, 05:42 PM
She had an xray, and they cleaned the paws when they got her. I don't imagine she stopped to lick her paws, the person found her and took her immediately to the vet.