PDA

View Full Version : Fostering Mama and babies. LOTS of questions! *PIC ADDED!*

snakemama
06-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Sooooo...

A customer brought me a mama cat and two kittens today. The story I got was disjointed and kind of odd. She *claims* that Mama was a stray cat she had been seeing around. Apparently she was friendly enough to come inside occasionally, and the *surprise*!! She had kittens in the dog's bed one day. There were originally four, but are now only two, and the details of how that happened were vague.

I find the entire story very suspicious, but whatever. They are in my care now.

Mama (I'm naming her Celeste) Is not much more than a baby herself. She's very petite, VERY friendly, and EXCEPTIONALLY beautiful. She is a delicate silvery lavender color with white tuxie markings. One of the kittens is the same color as Celeste, the other is a darker blue.

Both kittens are thin, but perky. I suspect they are thin because Celeste herself was having to scavenge for food. Earlier today I put an entire can of fancy feast plus half a cup of kibble in her carrier, and when I checked her again the bowl was empty except for maybe five kibbles.

I've got her set up in an old wire dog crate, with a bed, food, water, and a litterbox. I set her in the box earlier, but she still has not used it. Right now the crate is mostly covered with a sheet to give her some peace, since she has had a long day.

Here's where I'm getting out of the realm of things I'm familiar with...I've had dozens of bottle bubs, but never had a mama cat before!

I can't tell if Celeste is producing any milk. I felt her belly, and I didn't feel swollen mammaries like I expected, except maybe on one nipple. Someone suggested I squeeze a nipple, so I did and was not able to get any milk from it. I took the kittens and placed each of them on a nipple and they sure seem like they are sucking vigorously, but I'm concerned that they aren't getting enough/anything to eat. At what point do I offer them a meal of KMR? I have KMR and a bottle handy, but I don't want to intervene unnecessarily or upset the kittens' appetite or Celeste's routine.

Is she likely to have more milk now that she is getting fed as much as she wants? How long will it take?

Celeste seems almost...confused by the babies. She will sniff and lick them if they are placed in front of her, but earlier I put them in the bed while she was in the litterbox, and when I came back she was laying ON THEM, with her shoulders smooshing them beneath her! How alarmed should I be by this? Celeste seems so young, I am concerned that she might not know what to do as well as an older cat would.

Celeste's belly is pretty big, but doesn't feel like it's painful or lumpy or anything. Should I assume she was just having a lot of success hunting, or should I be concerned about dystocia?

When should I worry that she hasn't used the box? She hasn't had an opportunity to potty since about 1pm, but she was also ravenous and (I hope) a lot of the food is being used to make milk.

At what age do I worry about the kittens getting through the bars of the crate? Obviously I'm going to have to come up with a better setup at some point, but right now they are only three-ish days old so I don't think they'll be escaping tonight.

Luckily, Celeste is not phased by dogs. Since we life in a loft we literally have nowhere to put the cats where they can be completely away from Jasper. She meowed at him a few times, but didn't even get off of her bed when he approached and sniffed at her.

Anything else? I'm so nervous, I've lost so many fosters in the last year (one to distemper, and several to a respiratory infection that swept through here last year like a plague) and I want these guys to succeed! One kitten is already spoken for if they do.

Edited to add a picture of the whole family. :love:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/s403x403/8629_4574707780584_803857850_n.jpg

Karen
06-30-2013, 11:56 PM
Aww, what a pretty name you chose for her. Definitely it could be that she was too hungry to produce much milk, if the kittens are suckling that is a good sign, and she should be producing more. Keep a close watch on the kittens, if they seem at all dehydrated, give them the KMR. If they show signs of getting weaker, do it, too - they are at a very delicate stage right now.

Does Celeste clean the kittens at all? If she was starving it may be a bit before she actually poops, poor thing!

snakemama
07-01-2013, 12:00 AM
I assume she does clean them, because they are very clean and soft, but I have yet to see her give them more than a few quick licks. probably because I am trying to give her some privacy, LoL!

I chose the name Celeste because...this sounds corny to me but it's true...she's the color of the moon and I wanted a celestial name. Plus she can be Cee Cee for short!

cassiesmom
07-01-2013, 06:19 AM
She's beautiful! Paws and fingers crossed for this little family! Snakemama, bless you for caring for them!

phesina
07-01-2013, 09:34 AM
What beautiful kitties! May they be safe and well and find the perfect home(s). God bless you, Snakemama, for caring for them, and God bless them, too.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

smokey the elder
07-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Years ago I had a very thin mama cat who had a litter of 5. I mixed KMR powder with kitten food, and let her eat as much as she wanted. You can supplement the kittens by bottle-feeding them; mama will still nurse them. The act of nursing should stimulate milk production. Good luck with the precious family!

krazyaboutkatz
07-01-2013, 12:00 PM
She's gorgeous.:) Thank you for being able to take in this precious little cat family. I hope that they will all continue to thrive in your care.:)

snakemama
07-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Oookay, so today I spoke to three different vets and got three different answers to my question; can I put Frontline on Celeste while she is nursing?

One vet said no way.

One vet said to use a kitten dose and let her dry before putting the kittens back in.

One vet said to go ahead and dose her regularly.

I am so confused. I'm erring on the side of no Frontline for now since I haven't seen any fleas, but hubby really wants them treated so that our animals aren't at risk. (ours are treated, but I'm skeptical of how well that will work if there were an infested animal in the house!)

catmandu
07-03-2013, 09:25 AM
The best to you Celeste and her Babies and we are paying that they can overcome their rough start in life.
God Bless You for caring.
:love::love::love:

sallyandsnowx
07-03-2013, 01:55 PM
What a beautiful family! It is so wonderful you taking care of them. Wish you and the kitties the best :D

Taz_Zoee
07-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Oookay, so today I spoke to three different vets and got three different answers to my question; can I put Frontline on Celeste while she is nursing?

One vet said no way.

One vet said to use a kitten dose and let her dry before putting the kittens back in.

One vet said to go ahead and dose her regularly.

I am so confused. I'm erring on the side of no Frontline for now since I haven't seen any fleas, but hubby really wants them treated so that our animals aren't at risk. (ours are treated, but I'm skeptical of how well that will work if there were an infested animal in the house!)

My sister found this: http://frontlineplus.co.nz/products/Frontline-Plus/Pages/FRONTLINE-Plus-FAQs.aspx
The answer to your question is in the second section/area and the 10th one down.

snakemama
07-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Thank you, I'm so relieved! I'll dose her once I'm done posting. :)

Soo....Celeste is PICKY. She has not touched a crumb of dry food since she's been here, and she only likes wet food that is pieces in gravy, NOT pate style. She's also eating like...well, like a nursing mama, so right now we are going through 6 cans of Fancy Feast a day, and her appetite is growing! Does anyone know of a brand that offers a 13 oz can of bits in gravy cat food?

Here's a pic from last night. The smaller, darker kitten is Comet, a little boy. The lighter kitten is Star, a little girl. Named after my doggy Star, who crossed the rainbow bridge a few weeks ago.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1013054_4586152306690_533968169_n.jpg

Both kittens are spoken for, and Celeste is going to be EASY to place. She likes the dog, she likes the cat, and she loves people! Plus, well...she looks like a supermodel!

Karen
07-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Aww, what a beautiful little family! So glad the kittens already have homes waiting! And I *know* Celeste will steal someone's heart as well!

Moesha
07-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Does anyone know of a brand that offers a 13 oz can of bits in gravy cat food?

9 Lives has some.

snakemama
07-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Thank you Moesha, I'll stop at a big box pet store tomorrow and get some! She's eating me out of house and home! LoL!

kaycountrygal
07-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Congrats on your new family! :)

You said:
...so right now we are going through 6 cans of Fancy Feast a day....

I was thinking if it were me, I would be switching to a less expensive canned food and then I read that you are thinking about getting some 9 Lives. Yes, That should save you some money if Her Highness will eat it :). Good Luck! I always fed my cat/s dry and canned that I mixed together.

snakemama
07-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Congrats on your new family! :)

You said:
...so right now we are going through 6 cans of Fancy Feast a day....

I was thinking if it were me, I would be switching to a less expensive canned food and then I read that you are thinking about getting some 9 Lives. Yes, That should save you some money if Her Highness will eat it :). Good Luck! I always fed my cat/s dry and canned that I mixed together.

Hee hee, yes, if Celeste was ANYTHING but a nursing mama I'd let her know that she could darn well eat what I put in front of her or she could go hungry until she decided to eat what was provided! I'm actually headed to the grocery store in a few minutes and I think they have some 9 lives there. :) I'll try a can and see if it's acceptable.

Randi
07-04-2013, 02:14 PM
How wonderful that you're caring so well for this little family. :) I hope you'll find something healthy the mom likes and she will produce enough milk for the kittens - love the name Celeste.

Btw, expensive food, which is healthier, she will eat less of, so it may not be a bad idea.

Thank you, and good luck with them! :love:

Grace
07-04-2013, 02:32 PM
I seem to remember reading one time that a new momma cat should be fed kitten food. Not sure if that is true - maybe someone else here knows?

snakemama
07-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Soooo my sil just came by and informed me that both kittens are boys! That means one potential home has fallen through because she has her heart set on a girl kitten. But hey! It's kitten season and there are girl kittens everywhere!

I'm keeping Star's name though, it works just as well for a boy. Comet may wind up named Cosmo, because I keep calling him that by mistake. Oops!

snakemama
07-04-2013, 03:29 PM
I almost forgot, new pic of the boys! Comet was soooo puny and skinny at first, he's making up for lost time now!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1011223_4595049209107_2051498110_n.jpg

phesina
07-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Oh my goodness, they are just SOOOOOO adorable! Be still, my heart!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
07-04-2013, 07:15 PM
What an adorable little cat family.:) I like the names you chose. I'm sure that they'll all find their forever home very quickly.:) Good luck.:)

Pinot's Mom
07-05-2013, 09:00 AM
I would assume Celeste is using the litter box now? How is she doing? Just an FYI - cats do not like their litter box anywhere near their food as a general rule. If she's picky that could be an issue.

It is an adorable family - you are so sweet to take them in!

snakemama
07-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Litter box use does not seem to be an issue. It's on the opposite end of the four foot crate from her food, and she uses it. It's rather unnerving to see how much of that food is going to make milk though, she's only pooping every other day! 0.0

She's starting to get restless and want out and about in the house. I may let her run around the spare room when I get home this evening just to stretch her legs a bit.

momcat
07-05-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm in love with all of those beautiful kitties! The babies are too far beyond adorable and Celeste is absolutely gorgeous. Bless you for taking this family in and giving them the love and care they need and deserve. Please keep us updated on how they're doing?

moosmom
07-07-2013, 08:44 AM
As long as she's being fed and the babies are suckling, chances are she'll produce more milk. Feed her a high caloric wet food and dry kitten food. That'll help her put on more weight and it's good for the babies, too.

I am in LOVE with the buff colored baby. Charlotte looks like a great mom and an awesome companion.

snakemama
07-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks Donna! The babies are getting nice and fat now that Celeste has an all-day buffet! She still won't touch the dry food, though I replace it with fresh stuff every morning.

I'm taking them to the vet in an hour for a once-over, and to have Celeste FELV/FIV tested. While they're in the travel crate I'll be giving their big crate a scrubbing, as it looks like Celeste missed the edge of the litterbox last night and peed on the floor of the crate. She hissed at me when I tried to clean up earlier, so I'll just wait until she's out and scrub the whole thing.

I'll snap some new pics too!

snakemama
07-07-2013, 03:47 PM
OK, no new pics yet, but soon! Celeste's vet appointment was frustrating. I have no A/C in my car, so I rolled the windows down and kept it as cool as possible, which wasn't very. So she was too hot when we got to the clinic.The tech decided she must have a kitten stuck or something, and took her to get an x-ray.

Celeste is a DOLL, and she was VERY sweet with the people who took her rads, and her FELV/FIV test came back negative. They want me to bring her back for vaccines "when her fever goes down" ...but my car is not magically going to develop an air conditioner and the clinic is half an hour away, so I don't even know what they want from me.

Luckily, the foster coordinator told me to take Celeste's temp at home. If it stays normal for a few days I'll bring her in and she'll have them vaccinate her even though she'll be hot when she arrives.

Catty1
07-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Glad she tested negative!

Do you have a friend with a car that has air conditioning for the next vet trip? Or is there a mobile vet that could give her the vaccines at your home?

Hugs to her and her babies! :love:

krazyaboutkatz
07-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Cathy, I'm on vacation this week and my car has air conditioning. Please let me know if I can help you out. I'll be taking some of my cats to the vet this Tues. morning for their annual exams at 10am. What vet hospital do you go to?

snakemama
07-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Thank you Tracey! Since these are HSSV cats, they go to the HSSV clinic in Milpitas for care. I may be able to have my SIL drive us next time too.

I COULD use a mobile clinic, but then I'd have to pay for their care myself, and the whole point of getting on board with HSSV was that the only way hubby will let me keep fostering is if we don't have to pay the fosters' vet bills anymore. The cryptorchid surgery was a tough thing to tackle on just my salary, hehe.

snakemama
07-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Some updated pictures, we have eyes peeking out!

Jasper is, as always, a great help with kittens. (ALWAYS SUPERVISED OF COURSE) He's incredibly gentle and sweet with them, and Celeste seems thankful for the break!

In this pic, you can see that Comet has the exact same little grey beauty mark beneath his nose that his mama has!
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/jaspercomet.jpg

Star's eyes started opening first, though it looks like Comet's will finish opening first.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/star.jpg

A very tired Celeste. (please ignore the spilled litter, I cleaned up right after taking this but I couldn't resist her sweet face!) She's getting SO affectionate. Hubby has talked about keeping her, but if we do that I'll have to stop fostering. As fond as I am becoming of her, I don't want to stop fostering, and the bond between us would have to be really exceptional to make it worth giving up fostering.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/cebogart/Foster%20pets/Celeste-1.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
07-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Very cute. Thanks for sharing more pictures with us.:) This is why I can't foster. I'd fall in love with all of my fosters.;)