PDA

View Full Version : It's a road trip (Independence Day) Summer Thursday.....539.

RICHARD
06-27-2013, 01:10 PM
I am going to mount rushmore....
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4960469152825901&pid=1.7&w=244&h=181&c=7&rs=1

I think a few weeks of looking at what America is all about may be in order.....I have wanderlust.....

It's a camping trip so pack yer bags....

Oh, we are going to BBQ some ribs and steaks,, bake a few potatoes in the coals and drink some slushies.....

Saddle up!

DONE!

Karen
06-27-2013, 01:25 PM
I've got the pretzels all ready to do, and some lemonade in the cooler ...

cassiesmom
06-27-2013, 04:29 PM
I was wishing I could fly "across the pond" for tennis at Wimbledon and a Pimm's cup cocktail. Since Karen already has lemonade, I'll get out the Pimm's No. 1 and watch tennis on the telly instead. I'll be toasting the Blackhawks and Bolland's Stanley Cup-winning goal with a cold Labatt's after work tomorrow.

pomtzu
06-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Woo-hoo......count me in on the Mt Rushmore trip. It just so happens that the Black Hills Gold Jewelry manufacturing facility is right there, so I'll be in 7th heaven. :love: I adore anything that is Black Hills Gold. I have a few pieces - wish I had the $$$ for a lot more. :(

Is the BBQ ready yet? I'm starved! :D

RICHARD
06-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Woo-hoo......count me in on the Mt Rushmore trip. It just so happens that the Black Hills Gold Jewelry manufacturing facility is right there, so I'll be in 7th heaven. :love: I adore anything that is Black Hills Gold. I have a few pieces - wish I had the $$$ for a lot more. :(

Is the BBQ ready yet? I'm starved! :D

BBQ is up and ready.......I have a few trout to go along with the food.

I think a side trip to shop jewelry is a 'can do'.

Done, with a plate of food!

CM.
A Good week to celebrate.

DONE!

Karen,
Lemonade and pretzels....

With a little mustard on the side?

DONE!

Pinot's Mom
06-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Sorry I've been absent...

If it's a camping trip, can I bring the pop-up? I do like to be comfy. ;) Pinot said don't forget the fishing poles! I'll bring extras...

To drink? We're getting set for Jamaica in two weeks, so I'm thinking a rum punch is in order!

Catty1
06-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Monday July 1st is Canada Day (wonder who got paid to think up that brilliant name! :p ). We'll be 146 years old. Mind you, in 1867 Canada consisted of the following:

Published prior to Confederation, the contents of the book were separated by area or territory: the United Province of Canada, including both Ontario and Quebec; the Colonies of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island; and the Colony of Newfoundland.

Interesting stats here from - what else? - the equally brilliantly named Statistics Canada! http://www65.statcan.gc.ca/acyb07/acyb07_0002-eng.htm

phesina
06-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Candace, do you know how the name "Canada" was arrived at?

Lady's Human
06-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Lemonade and pretzels....

With a little mustard on the side?

DONE!

No mustard, those are "road rations" on road trips with our parents.

Pa would go down the road munching pretzel rods while driving.

Can I have a vodka anesthetic? I woke up yesterday and my hand was SORE. Couldn't remember doing anything to hurt it.

Went in to work tonight, had to open someone's locker for them (locked their keys in their locker) and remembered why my hand hurt. I missed with a hammer while using a center punch the night before to open someone else's locker.........and promptly hit my left hand with the hammer.

Catty1
06-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Pat, it's from an Aboriginal word meaning "long winter and short summer". :p

Seriously, it means "village". It became the name of a whole country because of language difficulties. Story of our lives! lol

http://canadaonline.about.com/od/history/a/namecanada.htm

The origin of the name "Canada" comes from the expedition of explorer Jacques Cartier (http://canadaonline.about.com/od/exploration/p/jacquescartier.htm) up the St. Lawrence River in 1535. The Iroquois pointing out the route to the village of Stadacona, the future site of Quebec City, used the word "kanata," the Huron-Iroquois word for village. Jacques Cartier used the word Canada to refer to both the settlement of Stadacona and the land surrounding it subject to Chief Donnacona.

phesina
06-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks, Candace! That's very interesting.

I'm glad they went with "Canada." I think that's much nicer than the others suggested at the time of Confederation:
Victorialand
Borealia
Cabotia
Tuponia (The United Provinces of North America)
Superior
Norland
Hochelaga

Killearn Kitties
06-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Sling some of those steaks and slushies over here please Richard. I'm just in the mood for a road trip.

Then, like Elyse, I will be back to a Pimms with the tennis next week. :)

RICHARD
07-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Sorry I've been absent...

If it's a camping trip, can I bring the pop-up? I do like to be comfy. ;) Pinot said don't forget the fishing poles! I'll bring extras...

To drink? We're getting set for Jamaica in two weeks, so I'm thinking a rum punch is in order!

A fishing pole and a rum punch?
No problem there!
DONE!

C1
Happy Canada Day!

Hi Phesina!

LH,

I know that feeling, I was using one of those aluminum ladders and smashed me hand up in it.

One Vodka, DONE!

Hi KK,

Room on the road and a Pimm's?

DONE!

phesina
07-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Hi Richard!

May I have a nice cold Canada Dry, please? And an Alberta Rose Donut from Timmie's, to contribute to Alberta flood relief!

RICHARD
07-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Hi Richard!

May I have a nice cold Canada Dry, please? And an Alberta Rose Donut from Timmie's, to contribute to Alberta flood relief!

One cold CD and an Alberta Rose Donut......

It there a fund set up for the flood victims?

phesina
07-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Tim Hortons is doing their part:

(From http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/menu/menu-products.html#10453):
Alberta Rose Donut

Rallying to support relief efforts, local restaurant owners have created a special Alberta Rose donut, with 100 per cent of sales from the $1 baked good going directly to Red Cross flood relief efforts. The Alberta Rose is a vanilla dipped, bloom donut with a venetian cream center, topped with strawberry bark. Available for a limited time at participating Alberta restaurants. Canadians wishing to help can also text "FLOOD" to 45678 to donate $5 with all proceeds going to the recovery, restoration and rebuilding of Southern Alberta.

----------------

This is at the Canadian shops. I don't know if they have it at the U.S. ones too. (I should stop by one of the Ann Arbor ones and check that out.)

I just did a Google search for others. Here are a couple:
http://www.theneedisnow.org/
http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/06/25/place2give-flood-relief-fund/

and of course, the Red Cross: http://www.redcross.ca/donate/donate-online/donate-to-the-alberta-floods

Lady's Human
07-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Anyone got a Birthday cake and a fire extinguisher?

RICHARD
07-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Anyone got a Birthday cake and a fire extinguisher?

Oh, I have to laugh......I almost picked up a Two-Pack of fire extinguisher at COSTCO the other day.....

One B-day cake and I think we should light that sucker up outdoors?:o:D

DONE!

Lady's Human
07-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Now I think Angel and I are going to go take a nap in the doghouse.. :p

Lady'sOtherHuman
07-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Oh, I have to laugh......I almost picked up a Two-Pack of fire extinguisher at COSTCO the other day.....

One B-day cake and I think we should light that sucker up outdoors?:o:D

DONE!

Hardy, har, har you two, don't forget LH is older than me by a month and a half.

Richard I'd like a root beer float please, need something kinda cool and refreshing on this muggy night.

Lady's Human
07-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Yeah, but I don't have gray hair! :p (ducking)

smokey the elder
07-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Mmmm...a root beer float sounds great! The stubborn storms look like they're finally going to vamoose and we'll get some SUN for a change on the 4th.

RICHARD
07-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Hardy, har, har you two, don't forget LH is older than me by a month and a half.

Richard I'd like a root beer float please, need something kinda cool and refreshing on this muggy night.

I guess I am going to have to make up a double RBF to get out of trouble?

DONE!

LH,

Not going to send you any farther up the creek......

STE,

One RBF and SUN, SUN, SUN!

DONE!

Pinot's Mom
07-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Speaking of fire extinguishers...WHAT A WEEK!!

One week ago part of our plant caught fire - the air conditioning people were welding on the roof without an extinguisher (AT A PLASTICS PLANT!) and three of our production lines burned up, there was a BIG hole in the roof, lots of damage. No one was hurt. We've had ServPro here for a week 24-7 cleaning up (so far). It has put our production schedule in a blender, which means customer orders aren't shipping, which means our department (I'm a customer service manager) has been in HELL!!!

I don't care where this trip is going, just put me in a seat and give me a bottle of vodka.

Lady's Human
07-03-2013, 03:24 PM
I'll get you some vodka, but you can't have the bottle all to yourself.

How about served in iced flutes?

After someone sees my last comments, I may need it for pain relief, especially after my backup left me hanging....

Lady'sOtherHuman
07-03-2013, 03:47 PM
I guess I am going to have to make up a double RBF to get out of trouble?

DONE!

LH,

Not going to send you any farther up the creek......

STE,

One RBF and SUN, SUN, SUN!

DONE!

Don't worry Richard he does just fine sending himself up the creek without any help from anyone. I may have grey hair but he's got a thinning spot on the back of his head.:p

RICHARD
07-04-2013, 01:47 PM
A bottle of vodka and a new thread?

Done!!!