PDA

View Full Version : Who knows how to put commas correctly?

Randi
06-27-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm helping someone to proof read a text and so far, I have put some extra commas in, but I think maybe there need to be more. There are very few typos/spelling mistakes, so that is nice.

Would anyone like to have a look, or explain where to put commas?

smokey the elder
06-27-2013, 10:49 AM
One thing that sticks in my mind is as much of a matter of preference.

For a series of objects: "American" style: A, B and C. "Oxford" style: A, B, and C. This often comes up in more complex sentences.

Used after a quote: He said, "xxx".

There are heaps of others. You can probably get a lot of good info by Googling English grammar.

*This is for the English language, which I assume you're asking about!* (Yes I did end a sentence in a preposition...:p)

PJ's Mom
06-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Smokey hit the nail on the head. Some people prefer to use serial commas: a, b, and c. Others use commas like: a, b and c. It depends on the writer and the audience. I'm a freelance writer and the company I'm currently working for insists we use serial commas, which drive me crazy.

A good rule of thumb is...when in doubt, leave it out. :)

Randi
06-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks! I would use it like: a, b and c. I suppose in some cases, a comma after "and" is in order, but not always.

Unfortunatly I didn't learn grammar using the Latin terms, but I get by pretty well, don't you think? :D

I'll have to write down what preposition is, along with conjunction, etc. Then I can look things up on the web. :)

Catty1
06-27-2013, 07:26 PM
In that last example you might put a comma after b but never "and".

There is a wonderful book by Lynn Truss called Eats, Shoots and Leaves. Putting the comma after b is what lawyers would do.

I found a couple of links:

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/607/02/

http://grammar.about.com/od/punctuationandmechanics/tp/commaguide.htm

Hope they help.:)

Cataholic
06-27-2013, 08:29 PM
I would be happy to take a look at it, Randi.

Randi
06-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the links. :)

Johanna, I sent you a PM.