PDA

View Full Version : Cats, Christmas Trees, Presents ???

Chinadoll
12-09-2002, 02:19 PM
Since this is my first year with the kittens and the Christmas Tree, I have a question for you vetrans. The kittens are doing much better than I thought with the tree. No one has climbed it yet and it's still standing. Every year I do really elaborate wrapping and bows for my presents(I'm that weird crafty person that loves making the bows...sometimes I think I spend more on the wrapping and ribbon for the bows than the presents) I just have this feeling that if I put these presents under the tree that the kittens will destroy them. They use the tree as a racing loop for chasing each other. I'm thinking of displaying the presents on a table they can't get to as opposed to the traditional under the tree. Do y'all's cats bother the presents or leave them alone? I just have this feeling that with all of them being kittens that curiosity will get the better of them.

trinity
12-09-2002, 02:31 PM
Oh boy...my big guy (6 years old or so)likes the stick on bows. He picks them up before they are on the packages and runs with them. If they are already on a package the sticky stuff doesn't stand a chance. He pulls it off...and runs with it. Fortunately I have cat-loving friends who understand the teeth marks on their bows. Zingo, who is a little less than two likes the curly ribbon. I wrapped a present and then set it down and turned my back. The next thing I hear is "thump,thump,thump" as Zing drags it across the floor. Maybe just put non-breakables within their reach :D

NoahsMommy
12-09-2002, 03:00 PM
I would steer clear of any type of ribbon....we bought bows only this year so the presents would stand a chance. :) (hopefully) :D

NoahsMommy
12-09-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by trinity
Fortunately I have cat-loving friends who understand the teeth marks on their bows.
Our family and friends have come to expect little teeth marks on the paper and ribbon... :) Too funny!

sasvermont
12-09-2002, 03:14 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/p3dfe1fcd45d99eef3d723858122dde2d/fd0d3b5b.jpg

I try not to make the packages that inviting. They do chew on some of the ribbons, but once the novelty wears off, they are fine. I don't know how Gabe will do. My guess is that he will root through the gifts and push them all over the place. He does that now, with papers, magazines, books, bills - CDs......

Good luck. Keep an eye on them because they might start EATING the ribbon and it could be very expensive to repair their bellies.

:rolleyes:

Chinadoll
12-09-2002, 03:21 PM
Thanks everyone. Y'all just confirmed what I had thought. Presents will be displayed on a table the kitties can't reach. I have pretty, shiney paper and the ribbon with the wire in sides(easier to bend to make bows)...I don't want to take the chance of them chewing on the wire ribbon.