PDA

View Full Version : Can everyone wish me good luck?

Nomilynn
12-08-2002, 11:30 PM
Hi all,

I'm having a really tough time right now, as is every other University student I'm sure! It's EXAM TIME!! *shudder*

I have exams on Dec. 9, 10, 11, 14 and 18. Plus, I still have two papers to hand in (one tomorrow though.. so it will be over with soon!!). On the 16th, I'm getting fitted for braces (one of two appointments). On the 19th, I pack up all my kitties and finally leave for vacation! It feels like it's years away from now!! :(

Anyway, it will all go much easier if I have pet talk's prayers and good luck wishes behind me.. I will feel your support! I will keep everyone posted about the tests.

Thanks!

Karen
12-08-2002, 11:35 PM
Of course! I remember getting my braces - when they put the bands on my bottom front teeth, I dug fingernail marks right into the enamel paint on the metal chair arms! (My teeth were a real mess, I had had a few pulled to make room, and so those teeth were jammed in tight!)

Nomilynn
12-08-2002, 11:38 PM
Ahh! I wasn't scared about the braces visit until I read that!! LOL :D

I need a small surgery before the braces go on, and he might have to pull up to 4 teeth. I've had teeth pulled before and that doesn't really scare me, but the surgery is so minor I will be awake and I'm not sure I like that! But I'm certainly less nercous about braces than I am about exams!! I think if I had got braces when I was 14, when I first started looking into it, I would be more nervous. But now that I'm 22, I just really want to get them on and get the 2 years over with!!! :) ;)

aly
12-08-2002, 11:44 PM
http://www.hallospass.de/gif/tanzen/tanzen055.gif

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

My thoughts are with you. You deserve a nice, long, relaxing vacation!!

AmberLee
12-08-2002, 11:56 PM
Good luck. We'll be holding you in our thoughts and prayers.

Fingers AND paws crossed here for you!!:p ;) :D

Chinadoll
12-09-2002, 12:55 AM
Good Luck!!!

I sat out this semester...only four classes left next semester for graduation ...I'm so not looking forward to going back to the stress of papers and exams.

By getting fitted for braces...you don't mean you're getting them put on, right? I can only imagine how uncomfortable that would be to have done right before your last exam. Hope all goes well. Have a great vacation!!

Nomilynn
12-09-2002, 01:01 AM
oh no I'm not getting the braces put on.. probably not until February!! :)

aly
12-09-2002, 01:12 AM
She's just gonna have to choke on that pink mushy gunky stuff they put in your mouth to take a mold!!!

And when they did it to me, the nurse actually snuck up behind me and crammed it into my mouth really fast!!!!! So keep your eye out for evil nurses Naomi!!!!!!

Nomilynn
12-09-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by aly
She's just gonna have to choke on that pink mushy gunky stuff they put in your mouth to take a mold!!!

And when they did it to me, the nurse actually snuck up behind me and crammed it into my mouth really fast!!!!! So keep your eye out for evil nurses Naomi!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! Ok.. I'll be ready to defend myself from anyone evil. Although, they were super nice in that office before, so I think I will be ok. But I will be cautious!! :D :D

zippy-kat
GOOOODDDD LUUUUCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!!:D

All Creatures Great And Small
The part I couldn't stand about fitting for braces is that mushy, cold molding stuff they put on your teeth in that tray! When YLL got fitted for hers, she upchucked all over the dental technician (she was thrilled, let me tell you)! Nobody had warned us to come on an empty stomach, since you might gag on the molding gel. But I shouldn't tell scary stories, since it's wonderful that you're getting braces at any age. It's a great 2-year investment.

Good luck also to you on your exams - I totally can't relate to that because I never attended college :( , but I have 2 sisters, one with a Masters in Speech Pathology and one with a PhD in Linguistics, so I heard all about their stresses. (I think it's funny how everyone in my family is so interested in speech, languages, and communication - no wonder I talk so darn much!!!) All I know is, they always worried and worried about exams, and in the case of my PhD sister, she always aced them anyway. (She's one of those annoying first-born overachievers :D ;) ) What's your major?

Nomilynn
12-09-2002, 01:21 AM
OMG.. I'm now very nervous about gagging. I'm usually pretty good though, so it should be alright.. but.. let's just hope I don't decorate anyone's white coat for Christmas, if you know what I mean.

I'm an English major, which is what I am working on right now. I will be graduating in April. Then I'm going into education. I want to be a high school English teacher. :)

12-09-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
I'm an English major, which is what I am working on right now. I will be graduating in April. Then I'm going into education. I want to be a high school English teacher. :)

Sigh..... then you will be my hero, because English was the one subject I LOVED in high school (and one of the few I passed :o - I had some "issues" back then...). You must protect and defend the proper usage of the English language - our nation's future depends upon it!:cool: :D

aly
12-09-2002, 01:26 AM
I have had a HIGH gag reflex at the dentist my whole life and I didn't throw up when I had the molding. Its icky but not the worst thing they do to ya. You'll handle it fine :)

YLL - I feel for ya. That must've been a bad experience.

Nomilynn
12-09-2002, 01:26 AM
As long as they don't listen to how I talk, it should be ok. I can use proper grammar in writing, but when I talk you would think I'm the typical blonde.. I think it's funny but my mom always shakes her head at me and says "how do you expect those young minds to learn anything from you when you talk like that!!" :D :D Of course this is in a JOKING way. :D

12-09-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
As long as they don't listen to how I talk, it should be ok. I can use proper grammar in writing, but when I talk you would think I'm the typical blondeOh yeah, here too - when I am speaking around family, friends, coworkers, I lapse into lazy slang and regional dialect - my sister lived in California for the longest time before moving to England, and she swears that I have a "Wisconsin" accent. (I probably do.) When it's time to compose letters, e-mails, or "message board / forum posts", then I tend to put on the dog a bit more. It's been such a long time since I actually had to learn English though, that when my daughter asks for help with English homework, I don't know what any of the terms mean anymore! (Participle? Preposition? Predicate? HUH? :confused: Your what hurts?);) :p :D

koxka
12-09-2002, 01:39 AM
All the goog waves I owe are sent in your way Nomilynn. I hated exams soooo much. :mad:.

I wish you the best of luck on your exams .

sammi
12-09-2002, 05:55 AM
Good luck and prayers are going your way!;)

anna_66
12-09-2002, 07:08 AM
GOOD LUCK!!!!

COCatMama
12-09-2002, 08:42 AM
Please stop people from typing your instead of you're!!!!!!! That drives me INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Logan
12-09-2002, 08:56 AM
Best of luck with the exams (I don't miss them at all) and with the braces. Just so you'll know it isn't always so bad, my daughter, Helen, had her impressions done week before last and she didn't gag! What a girl! :D I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Have a happy holiday season when this is all over!! :)

12-09-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Lalania
Please stop people from typing your instead of you're!!!!!!! That drives me INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: Hee hee - how about their, they're and there being used interchangeably? I don't know why spelling and grammar errors bother me so much - must be something in the chromosomes, I guess:p :rolleyes: I certainly don't fault anyone for whom English is a second language, and I admire (and envy) their bilingual skills. I just feel there's too much reliance on "spell check" these days, and some teachers deciding that "as long as you can understand what the student is trying to express, don't worry about the spelling and grammar" - :eek: :confused: (Good old Milwaukee Public School system, whose motto is "High Standards Start Here"! :rolleyes: )

12-09-2002, 09:12 AM
Good luck to you , Naomi !!!:D

Cataholic
12-09-2002, 09:13 AM
Good luck on your exams...though it was now four years ago that I sat for the bar, I tell you, it can seem like yesterday if I let my mind travel. But, good sleep, some exercise to release the stress, and a positive attitude can make ALL the difference.

As to the braces...no big deal (though that was alot longer than four years ago...He he he). I think the inconvenience is so way worth it!!!

moosmom
12-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Prayers and LOTS of good luck vibes coming your way!! Have a great vacation and a safe trip too!

Nomilynn
12-09-2002, 12:32 PM
Something I've noticed about grammar lately is the word "disorienTATed". It drives me NUTS. It's disorienTED. I was watching this girl edit a friends RESUME and she wrote in "insert here: I am very sports minded and orientated" and I thought.. way to make him lose the job! Unless of course the interviewers don't notice! I wonder if that word has just been accepted as a real word because people use it so much, kind of like IRregardless. *sigh* :rolleyes: :p

Thanks for all the kind wishes! :D

Nomilynn
12-09-2002, 09:15 PM
Hi!

I just got back from my first exam tonight. It wasn't too hard but it was LOOOONG.. my whole arm cramped up!! But at least it's done. The good vibes are working - keep it up!

Thanks!!

AmberLee
12-09-2002, 09:29 PM
One down. How many to go?

Nomilynn
12-09-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
One down. How many to go?

FOUR more!!! And a paper to hand in!!! :(

But that's ok.. the hardest paper is done now. :) Now to tackle the hardest exams.. tomorrow and on the 18th!

Lillycat
12-10-2002, 06:23 PM
good luck! soon the 18th will be here and gone and it will alllllll be over!;)

Cookiebaker
12-10-2002, 06:40 PM
Eeeee! I'm having very bad memories over here. I was in college 6 years ago, and remember all too well how overwhelming the last few days of the semester really are. Best of luck to you...I hope you will have a wonderful resting time on vacation as well!

Felicia's Mom
12-10-2002, 08:35 PM
The best of luck on your tests.:) Good luck with your braces too.

Nomilynn
12-11-2002, 12:41 AM
I finished another exam today! I'm so happy it's done! I have another one tomorrow, and then not again until Saturday. I'm so happy that I'm SO CLOSE to being done this semester! WOHOO! :D :D :D

aly
12-11-2002, 08:31 AM
GOOD JOB NAOMI!!!!!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is bothered by grammar mistakes. There's a certain few that really bug me, but I feel like screaming when people say 'spaded' instead of 'spayed' hahahhaaahaa. Its especially funny when its someone with a Texas accent.

ChrisH
12-11-2002, 10:12 AM
GOOD LUCK!!

(sorry I am late)

Nomilynn
12-11-2002, 03:28 PM
Thanks for all the good luck wishes everyone! I'm off to write my third exam tonight (at 7pm.. yuck I hate the late ones!!! Won't be home until 10 pm!!!). This one we get to bring our text book with us! It's a poetry exam so the book doesn't give any answers, but it's nice not having to memorize poets and poem titles! Also, he did say he didn't care what we wrote IN our anthologies, so we can cover them with pointers!! Guess what I'm doing to study! LOL!

Wish me luck! :D

Nomilynn
12-12-2002, 01:42 AM
Exam #3 done and over with!! hehehe :D

anna_66
12-12-2002, 06:54 AM
YAAAA! Almost there!