PDA

View Full Version : Share your injury stories here: scraped knees, broken legs etc. I know, I'm weird

luckies4me
12-08-2002, 08:53 PM
Having been talking about Dylans recent injuries I came to think of my childhood injuries. So many, lol. It is amazing how often we get hurt as a child. Anyone care to share their scar, or bruise stories. I have a huge scar on my neck from an operation I had when I was two months old. I had a huge cyst in my throat that had to be removed. The doctor who performed the surgery on me, cut the skin off from the incision and then stretched the skin on the side to cover the hole, instead of just suturing the skin together so the scar would be minimal. :mad: Urrgh!

Uabassoon
12-08-2002, 09:17 PM
From playing rugby I can't even list the amount of injuries I've had. I've broken several bones and as soon as it was out of the cast I was back on the field getting it broken again.

mugsy
12-08-2002, 10:32 PM
Hmmm...Ok..here we go...

Last August, the week after we got Sophie from Pet Refuge, she and George were chasing each other around the yard and I wasn't paying attention and neither were they and WHAM! Sophie hit me dead in the knee. I was screaming for Mike who was downstairs cleaning carpets and our crappy neighbor came over and told him. He proceeds to refuse to call an abulance and brings the van back in the backyard and hits the side of the van and scratches the entire passenger side on the fence. He finally loads me in the van (screaming in pain the entire time) and we go to the hospital. They shoot me up with demerol and finally the ortho surgeon comes in to look at me. He decides I need surgery and puts me off 3 times and finally at 1am he asks me if I want him to operate then or wait until the morning when he was fresh (gee now there's a no brainer!). So, I get perpetual Demerol shots all night after they admit me. I go into surgery at 7am and was in surgery for 3.5 hours. After I wake up, the surgeon tells me he's never seen a worse break. My tibia broke at the ball of the bone in a "V" shape and then broke down the bone, thus forming a "Y." I now have a metal plate screwed into the bone with 7 screws. I stayed in the hospital for 5 days (and made the nurses' lives miserable I might add) and then was out of school for 2.5 months (and had the sub from hell!) I was lying in bed watching TV the morning of Sept 11 and watched the hell being unleashed on our country.

Ok...I DARE anyone to beat that story!! lol

Nomilynn
12-08-2002, 11:16 PM
Mugsy I don't think I even want to try and beat that!! :)

Just tonight I was trying to inject myself with a new site for my insulin pump. It hurt a LOT and I had to take it out - I bled all over the place!! Being a diabetic really sucks. :(

I can't think of a really significant injury thought. My parents have told me that I fell out of bed once when I was really little, and I cried and screamed but I never woke up. I also banged my two front teeth when I was really little and they folded back and were laying parallel to the top of my mouth. The dentist had to pull them back again. I'm GLAD I don't remember that!!! :D

All Creatures Great And Small
12-09-2002, 01:49 AM
Well, nothing major here either, except I fell down a flight of stairs when I was 3 and knocked out 2 bottom teeth. I am always a mass of paper and cardboard cuts, bruises, scratches, and aches and pains from my exciting "retail management career" :rolleyes: . (I'm actually just a glorified shelf-stocker.) I'm also very clumsy, and since I've put on a lot of weight I've gotten more "tippable", i.e. I tend to lose my balance more :D :o . I can't begin to tell you how many times I've hit my head on stuff - that probably explains my mental state, LOL :D The only time I've been in a hospital is to have my daughter by C-section; I've been very fortunate.

Nomilynn, being a diabetic DOES suck, doesn't it? My dad is, and I have to watch carefully that my daughter doesn't start exhibiting symptoms. My sister developed gestational diabetes when she was pregnant (and had a 10 lb. baby!), and I've been tested for it too. Good for you though that you don't let it get you down. My dad is still going strong at age 70, despite numerous heart surgeries and having both legs amputated at the knee, and he has the most positive outlook for someone who's been through so much. But wow, would I have a hard time sticking myself with a needle - :eek: :( !

COCatMama
12-09-2002, 08:47 AM
When I was 2 I decided I should ride my Trike down the set of cement steps in front of our house....with disastrous results ;). I split my chin open and my mom freaked!! she said it took like 4 + ppl to hold me down to put the stitches in (I vaguely remember that) I never broke a large bone but sprained many an ankle and mangled many toes. I'll post some of my gruesome bike wipeout stories later... *G*

Cataholic
12-09-2002, 11:16 AM
Just this weekend, I was trying to cuddle Dakkie, and he jumped out of my arms, and scratched my thumb..it really hurts!

Ok, seriously, here is one of my mom's. In reflection, it is kinda humorous, at the time it was just plain scary. Last November, she and I were at my house, just finishing up the majority of the food for my friend's first and only baby shower. We were just about ready to leave, and she went to the private room before the drive over. Ten seconds later, I hear this blood curdling yell, and race to the bathroom, where my mom had her hand under water- with blood EVERYWHERE! The water diluted and spread the blood coming from a very very nasty tear on her finger, and against my WHITE sink, I was sure she had severed her hand. She had caught her hand between the door and the sink, she was still in motion, and ripped her finger open. OMG! What a site, deep slice. I, of course, maintained my semblance of reality, and quite frankly, I think she was somewhat in shock. We packed it up really well, and made the decision to take the food first to the shower location- and then headed to two hospitals before we could be seen...some HMO mess up. She needed stitches, inside and out! YIKES, it was totally scary. She was a true trooper, though, and has recovered nicely. I now supervise her in my bathroom...:D :D

Lillycat
12-09-2002, 03:12 PM
yeah. i even have to ask for the "girls hall pass"" to use the private room!;)

Cincy'sMom
12-09-2002, 03:37 PM
Only semi-serious injury I had ( that I remember)was in 7th grade. I was pitching softball and one came off the bat back at me and broke my nose. I don't really remember crying until they told me I had to stay out of the game and couldn't bat...
A little more background to that, it was the second game of a double header. I pitched the first game and a friend was supposed to pitch the second. We begged the coach to stay in our 1st game positions, so when it happened I toled her, that ball was meant for her. About 5 years later she calls me one night to tell me, she had broken her nose playing softball...a misjudged flyball in the outfield. I knew it was meant to be her all along!!!

DogMania
12-09-2002, 03:53 PM
Ok,here we go....When i was 7 i broke my leg banging into a wall playing tag. Ok then the routine hospital,cast,recovervy room etc. Ok then i had crutches and lemme tell you one thing IM NOT GOOD WITH CRUTCHES.So my arm is in front of me(across my waist) and im trying hard at the crutches thing,not looking where i was going BANG!. Broken Arm then the same thing all over again geez my mom want too happy with all the medical bills....

Fuzzy317
12-09-2002, 05:49 PM
I will not bore you with all the details, but here is a list:

Age - What
---------------
2 - broken left leg - car wreck
10 - 3 stitches left foot - cutting tree limbs, barefoot (not smart :()
11 - broken left leg - car wreck
12 - broken left leg - snow skiing accident
28 - knocked out for 2 weeks - motorcycle crash
30 - broken left arm, right collar bone, crushed vertebrae - motorcycle crash

and I have had the usually bruises and cuts along the way.

Cataholic
12-09-2002, 05:59 PM
Fuzzy- you are a walking medical dilemna..he he he..

Here is a funny one. I was a senior in high school. I was, as usual, sans socks in the winter. I don't know why, but we never wore socks in the winter (doesn't help that mom didn't buy us any, either..he he he). So, I was going out the door, rushing, to catch the 1/4 mile ride to school (hey, I had an image to maintain). I jumped down the front steps of our house, hit a patch of ice, and SLID about 12 feet, with my one foot underneath me, until I hit the wall of the carport. Did it hurt? Not really, by my estimation, all the nerve cells had been flat burned off by the contstant contact with the CEMENT. So, on to school I went, we parked, and I walked in. The vice principal stopped me and asked me what had happened...exactly why did I have blood running up my leg? I had on tan cords..and they 'wicked' the blood from my foot substantially up the pant leg of my pants! It was kind of humorous, in reflection...and yes, it did finally start to hurt..and scabbed forever..but, the site of probably four inches of blood up my pant leg must have been pretty scary for a VP to see first thing in the am.

Cataholic
12-09-2002, 06:04 PM
Or, maybe this one...I was little- like five or so, and playing monkey bars with my neighbor. She happened to require corrective leg braces (are there any other kind?), attached to those saddle shoes..you know what I am talking about? Well, she got the wise idea to pull me down by my legs, off the monkey bars (I must have said something unkind), and off I came..with her on top of me. Maybe I should clarify...with her foot on my collar bone!!! Poor little Cataholic became dented on the right side. I don't think my mom believed I was in pain...but, an xray or two later, complete with the white plaster crazy eight cast, she became a believer! I got to sleep in their bed!!! I don't know if I ever fully recovered from the trauma of being squished by my neighbor. To this day, I hate to have people stand on or near my neck.

Uabassoon
12-09-2002, 06:06 PM
To this day, I hate to have people stand on or near my neck.

There's a lot of places I could go with this. But umm... is there any other reason why people would want to stand on your neck?

Cataholic
12-09-2002, 06:10 PM
This might be the topper in most traumatic...but, not the funniest. I was coming home from college on a early Sunday am...Easter Sunday, to be exact. It was wet outside...I was doing a steady 55 on a rural road, heading towards the high way. I came down this long, but not steep, grade. Unbeknownst to me, and my car, there was a little puddle of water where the road flattened out before the uphill slope. Well, at the last moment, my car decided it was better suited as a boat, and hydroplaned across the puddle, then quickly changing back into a car where the road began again. Well, again, unbeknowst to me and my car, this type of quick change is highly dangerous. It forces the car to immediately stop hydroplaning and start driving again. My car, being young and inexperienced, AGAIN switched- this time, to a gymnast, and did a front flip, landing right side up somehow. Lucky for me, a ambulance was heading towards me, and quickly took me to the people white coats. I got full service treatment for maybe three days, a little cast on my wrist, and a big ole sore neck for a few months. The strange thing was, I was coming home from school to ATTEND EASTER SERVICES! I took that to mean had I been, say, heading to the gym or something, I might not have been so fortunate.

mugsy
12-09-2002, 06:31 PM
Scott, you sound like you were a klutzy kid! lol ;) Ok...you win. I can't beat that. Jo, you just sound like a crazy woman! Sheesh, what mean thing did you say to that poor girl with the leg braces?? heehe You evil thing! I didn't become evil until I was in my late 20s so I guess I have some catching up to do.

Cataholic
12-09-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon

There's a lot of places I could go with this. But umm... is there any other reason why people would want to stand on your neck?

Uba- you are now responsible for ruining my laptop...as I just squirted the water out of my mouth laughing when I saw your posts...it was just a little something I thought I would sneak into the story to see if anyone was really reading it..I am crying with laughter right now!!!

COCatMama
12-09-2002, 06:42 PM
When I was around ten or eleven one of my new friends got a BMX bike, I begged to try it and and eventually he let me...I thought to myself "I'm gonna do a cool skid in front of the CEMENT wall in his carport" so I sped down the driveway (was downhill) raced at the CEMENT (and stucco-looking) wall and then tried to apply the PEDAL brakes....unfortunately, that bike had only HANDLEBAR brakes!!! So I slammed full speed into that wall... I carved up my knuckles really nice, tasty!!

Another time I was riding my ten speed down a hill ( I was 16 or so) wearing SANDALS (big mistake!!) when my foot slipped off the pedal and went into the spokes of the front tire!!! The joint of my big toe rammed up against the FORKS and that's what STOPPED ME!!! my bike flipped, I landed and was in sooooooo much pain I couldn't make a sound!!! Luckily, some joggers saw it happen and helped me out, and a guy in a furniture truck drove me home...I still have scars from both those 'adventures'

I cringe now when I see a kid wearing sandals whilst riding a bike!!!!!

COCatMama
12-09-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Fuzzy- you are a walking medical dilemna..he he he..

Here is a funny one. I was a senior in high school. I was, as usual, sans socks in the winter. I don't know why, but we never wore socks in the winter (doesn't help that mom didn't buy us any, either..he he he). So, I was going out the door, rushing, to catch the 1/4 mile ride to school (hey, I had an image to maintain). I jumped down the front steps of our house, hit a patch of ice, and SLID about 12 feet, with my one foot underneath me, until I hit the wall of the carport. Did it hurt? Not really, by my estimation, all the nerve cells had been flat burned off by the contstant contact with the CEMENT. So, on to school I went, we parked, and I walked in. The vice principal stopped me and asked me what had happened...exactly why did I have blood running up my leg? I had on tan cords..and they 'wicked' the blood from my foot substantially up the pant leg of my pants! It was kind of humorous, in reflection...and yes, it did finally start to hurt..and scabbed forever..but, the site of probably four inches of blood up my pant leg must have been pretty scary for a VP to see first thing in the am.

Haha once I was walking down to cross a street and the sidewalk was brick, and it was raining...I was wearing dress shoes that were completely smooth on the bottom....I was wearing BRAND NEW white nylons! The sidewalk sloped down towards the crosswalk....my shoes slipped and I went flying landing on one knee and skidding several feet on it, Ouch!! I got up and I had torn the nylons and tore the crap out of my knee...blood running down my leg. I was miles from home and had to go and catch the bus like that!!! Can you believe the bus driver didn't even help me? they carry first aid kits here...GRRR
I went home and tried to clean up the mess....tried to pull the nylons off and they were stuck to the wound....after much swearing i managed to get the nylons off and bandage my stinking leg. But I was most angry that my BRAND NEW totally run-free nylons were trashed! it was almost like the universe was mocking me :)

Crikit
12-09-2002, 07:15 PM
Hmm this could be amusing to everyone because I seem to be either naturally klutzy or absent minded take your pick :D

Let's see I remember when I was younger I once rode my bike down a hill in to a tree...all my dad did was laugh at me. I got hit in the face numerous times by baseballs and floor hockey pucks and footballs...now that I think about it most of those were when I was playing games with my dad's scouts and he was the one who always hit or throw the object at my head...do you think he's out to get me? Oh and then there's the time that my friends dog bite me in the...well let's just say I couldn't sit down for a week or two with out the aid of a pillow.

In JR. High I got pushed down the stairs going for lunch and badly sprained my ankle, it still gives me the odd pain if I'm not wearing the right shoe..but then again I did sprain it again a couple of other times playing basketball and stuff. High I can't really think of anything happen other then the appendics almost bursting...that was a nice scar.

And just recently I gave myself a fat lip by running in to a door at work and bouncing off it...there was a nose print and everything. Then Friday I banged in to the recieving desk at work and gave myself a bruse which is now black.

Now that I think about it I haven't really had any major accidents just a lot of funny little minor damage ones that are mostly caused by my own absent mindedness.

COCatMama
12-09-2002, 07:17 PM
I'm the biggest klutz too...but I tell ppl I am a LUCKY klutz because I have never been in an ambulance !!! :D

Originally posted by Crikit
Hmm this could be amusing to everyone because I seem to be either naturally klutzy or absent minded take your pick :D

Let's see I remember when I was younger I once rode my bike down a hill in to a tree...all my dad did was laugh at me. I got hit in the face numerous times by baseballs and floor hockey pucks and footballs...now that I think about it most of those were when I was playing games with my dad's scouts and he was the one who always hit or throw the object at my head...do you think he's out to get me? Oh and then there's the time that my friends dog bite me in the...well let's just say I couldn't sit down for a week or two with out the aid of a pillow.

In JR. High I got pushed down the stairs going for lunch and badly sprained my ankle, it still gives me the odd pain if I'm not wearing the right shoe..but then again I did sprain it again a couple of other times playing basketball and stuff. High I can't really think of anything happen other then the appendics almost bursting...that was a nice scar.

And just recently I gave myself a fat lip by running in to a door at work and bouncing off it...there was a nose print and everything. Then Friday I banged in to the recieving desk at work and gave myself a bruse which is now black.

Now that I think about it I haven't really had any major accidents just a lot of funny little minor damage ones that are mostly caused by my own absent mindedness.

Crikit
12-09-2002, 08:51 PM
Oh, oh I just remembered on other klutxy moment. I was walking home from the video store and decided that walking was taking to long so I decided to run...well I started to run a little to fast and I tripped over my own feet and fell on the rough pavement of the road. Had a nasty case of road rash and coulndn't walk properly for a week or so. Acutally if you look closely you can still see some road rash on my leg, or at least some dead skin from it.

Cincy'sMom
12-09-2002, 09:45 PM
I pulled a good one at our haunted house this year...I am a back guide, which means I follow the groups around to be sure no one gets lost and also tun a lot of the lights in the rooms. During one room, I flipped onthe light, then ran around the corner to tell some of the workers to be quiet, they were ruining our seance. I flipped my flashlight off to sneak back into the other room (which was still lighted) and ran straight into the wall, nose first. I actually had a bruise!! I'm still not sure how the nose hit first, you would think other things would....