PDA

View Full Version : Ask a Vet!

Karen
05-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Anyone have any questions for the vets on the radio show this week? As always I'll need them before 2 p.m. Eastern on Thursday, so ask away! Sorry so last-minute!

Moesha
05-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Just the insulin question I posted before. Unless you asked it last week and I missed it. Thanks!

Karen
05-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Thanks, I will ask it - we didn't do the Ask the Vets show last week, so I'll ask it this time!

Karen
05-30-2013, 08:45 PM
So Moesha, I will email you the audio files when I get them, but Doc. Carol made it clear that she would never, ever give any pet or animal you care about Vetsulin. Too many lawsuits, deaths, illnesses and issues, and it is pig derived insulin, so very old technology.

Newer insulins, and much safer ones, are DNA based, and she'd recommend those. You can buy human-grade insulin very cheap at Wal*mart or Wal Greens, she gives specifics, but there are less expensive ways that are NOT Vetsulin one can do it!

Moesha
05-31-2013, 05:47 AM
Ok, thank you very much. We are having to buy insulin again next week, so I will look forward to getting the audio files.

Karen
05-31-2013, 01:20 PM
I actually got them and emailed them to you already! If anyone else is interested, let me know!

Moesha
06-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Thank you. I was out of town this weekend and just got back and listened to the audio file. I forwarded it to my mom and to my friend who also has a diabetic kitty.

Karen
06-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Yes, anyone with a diabetic kitty who takes insulin should hear it!

Karen
06-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Okay, anyone with any questions for this week? The show starts recording at 2 on Thursday, so before then, any questions are welcome! It will be Dr. Kathy this week instead of Dr. Carol, and she has horse experience, and does a lot of nutritional work with patients. Dr. Don from Florida will also be there.

krazyaboutkatz
06-04-2013, 02:10 AM
Karen, did you ever ask them why canned food would make a cat have loose stools or diarrhea? I can't feed Alani or Blaze any kind of canned food or else it causes them to have these problems. They did have giardia as kittens before I adopted them so I don't know if this did something to their internal organs or not. They are currently eating Merrick's Before Grain Salmon flavor and also the Chicken flavor without any problems. I also give them chicken broth at night. If they eat grain free dry food that is too high in protein, this will also cause them to have loose stools or diarrhea.

Karen
06-04-2013, 02:35 AM
I will ask about that. We kind of discussed it loosely before, but this will have one different vet on, might you want to call in so you can explain the whole situation?

krazyaboutkatz
06-04-2013, 02:37 AM
I will ask about that. We kind of discussed it loosely before, but this will have one different vet on, might you want to call in so you can explain the whole situation?

What time is the show? Remember I'm 3 hours behind you.

Karen
06-04-2013, 08:32 PM
The show is at 2 p.m. Eastern, so 11 a.m. your time ...

And folks, we will have one veterinarian and one behaviorist this week, so behavior questions are also welcome this time!

god_heals
06-05-2013, 01:19 AM
What is the best holistic food for my pit/lab? I was thinking about Blue but I read you should ask a vet to see what is best for the breed. Also if they know what would be the best percentages (protein, fat, fiber) to make a rat food mix. I work at that time. Is there a way I can still listen later?

krazyaboutkatz
06-05-2013, 02:33 AM
The show is at 2 p.m. Eastern, so 11 a.m. your time ...

And folks, we will have one veterinarian and one behaviorist this week, so behavior questions are also welcome this time!

Well I leave to go to work by 11am so I wouldn't be able to call in.

Here's a behavioral question. Why does my cat Alani love to chew up cardboard or any other paper product? He did this when he was a kitten and he'll still do it. He's 3 years old now.

Karen
06-05-2013, 08:07 AM
What is the best holistic food for my pit/lab? I was thinking about Blue but I read you should ask a vet to see what is best for the breed. Also if they know what would be the best percentages (protein, fat, fiber) to make a rat food mix. I work at that time. Is there a way I can still listen later?

I can email you the audio files once I get them, okay? And how old's your dog - full grown or a pup?

god_heals
06-06-2013, 10:57 PM
I can email you the audio files once I get them, okay? And how old's your dog - full grown or a pup?

That would be great! She is 1 year and 2 months.

Karen
06-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Great, I got long, complicated answers (as in - too much for this brain to remember and type out accurately) to both questions, so will email them to you once I get them.

Traci, the vets said the reaction to the wet food sounds like a food allergy, and nothing to do with whether the food is wet or dry ... again, a long answer, but I'll email you the file.

As for the chewing of cardboard, they talked about it maybe being a soothing thing to do, like some people chew gum ... you'll hear it!

krazyaboutkatz
06-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Great, I got long, complicated answers (as in - too much for this brain to remember and type out accurately) to both questions, so will email them to you once I get them.

Traci, the vets said the reaction to the wet food sounds like a food allergy, and nothing to do with whether the food is wet or dry ... again, a long answer, but I'll email you the file.

As for the chewing of cardboard, they talked about it maybe being a soothing thing to do, like some people chew gum ... you'll hear it!

Thanks Karen.:)

Karen
06-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Any questions for this week's Ask the Vets? It will be Thursday afternoon at 2 Eastern, so questions before then would be good!

Karen
06-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Bumpity!

This week will have Dr. Kanfer - a long-time experienced veterinarian from Florida, and Dr. Cathy from the midwest who has plenty of horse and livestock experience, and is very into nutrition issues with pets.