PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Thursday #534

Lady's Human
05-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Let's all pause for a moment and remember those who have gone before us.

The ones who built what we have now.

In the United States it's a weekend to remember those who died fighting for our freedom

Anyone for a Red, white and Blue Sangria?

Red, White, and Blue Sangria

Ingredients:

Strawberries, sliced
Blueberries
Pineapple, cut into star shapes
2 bottles dry white wine
1 cup Triple Sec
1/2 Cup berry-flavored vodka
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup simple syrup

Combine the ingredients in a large pitcher and stir. Chill in the refridgerator for at least four hours.

It actually sounds good, and after I go out to reset the fence around the garden to bunny proof it for the year, I'm going to need it ! :p

(On a much lighter note, can we have a moment of silence for my DVR? An entire year of Formula one and Dr. Who lost to the gremlins!)

smokey the elder
05-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Today's Google doodle is very timely. I don't want to spoil it.

That red, white and blue Sangria sounds great! Hey, it's 5:00 somewhere! :D;)

Lady's Human
05-23-2013, 10:31 AM
As far as I'm concerned, it's 5 O'clock here!

DVR has been replaced, set up to re-record Dr. who, and it's raining, so I can't get anything done outside.

Karen
05-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Ooh, and how about some red, white and blueberry cake? I have been known to, for special occasions, throw some raspberries in the family blueberry cake recipe - quite festive - and yummy!

cassiesmom
05-23-2013, 02:16 PM
It's only 50F today in Chicago ... I'm drinking decaf coffee; would anyone like some with me? It's supposed to be back up to 70F by Monday, with rain on-and-off all weekend.

Pinot's Mom
05-23-2013, 04:46 PM
I saw the Google Doodle and I agree...
It is fitting to pause and reflect.

After, can I have some of that Sangria? It sounds right up my alley!! ;)

Lady's Human
05-23-2013, 05:05 PM
With all the hot air in Chi-town, how did it drop to 50deg?

Decaf coffee for CM, have to brew some, we normally carry leaded only.

Sangria with a pause button>? Done!

Karen, if you put raspberries in the blueberry cake do you add a little extra sugar or no?

pomtzu
05-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Boy - am I dense sometimes. The fog is clearing now tho - and now I get it.

This is Memorial Day weekend, and my brother's memorial service is Saturday. My niece said that there will be a presentation of the flag - brother was a Navy veteran. I wasn't even associating the two. DUH! I think I'd better have a lot of Kleenex handy too............

I hope everyone has a safe and happy long holiday weekend. Save some of that Sangria for me for when I get back, please.

Karen
05-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Karen, if you put raspberries in the blueberry cake do you add a little extra sugar or no?

No, so the cake doesn't get too sweet, and folks seem to like it that way!

RICHARD
05-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Aw Pom,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

I do think it's wonderful that your brother will be remembered and honored.

Sending you good thoughts and wishes.

--------------

I am going to heat up some water for a cup of coffee.....yea, I know....Coffee? I got the flu earlier in the week and I'm still queasy.

DONE?

Lady's Human
05-24-2013, 04:01 PM
And to add to the Memorial day festivities, Madame Mayor gets to meet her canine niece!

Karen
05-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Am soo looking forward to it! :)

What are other family's Memorial Day traditions? We're getting together to decorate the graves of the family, 4 generations worth.

Queen of Poop
05-24-2013, 06:54 PM
And to add to the Memorial day festivities, Madame Mayor gets to meet her canine niece!

We probably need some photos of that!

phesina
05-25-2013, 06:37 AM
A toast in gratitude to all our heroes, living and dead!

Karen
05-25-2013, 10:08 PM
We probably need some photos of that!

I will see if any of the photos I took of Angel are good enough to post, she was way too busy sniffing every inch of "Grandpa's" home, pulling every dog toy individually from his basket of them, and playing tug to hold still much for pictures! None were taken of me WITH Angel, though! When we were close enough together, she was busy cleaning my ear, snuffling my face, and generally having a good time to pose - and no one else had a camera out! Part of my collection of socks with holes in them have been knotted and tied together to make another tug toy, which was an immediate hit - socks iz stretchy!!! - and much play ensued!

Karen
05-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Birthday cake all around - not only is today Sandra tatsxxx11's birthday here on Pet Talk, it's also my big brother's birthday, and my dear friend Sarah's birthday, too!

Queen of Poop
05-27-2013, 07:23 AM
Happy Birthday to all! I've brought some ice cream to go with the cake!

Lady's Human
05-27-2013, 09:02 AM
I will see if any of the photos I took of Angel are good enough to post, she was way too busy sniffing every inch of "Grandpa's" home, pulling every dog toy individually from his basket of them, and playing tug to hold still much for pictures! None were taken of me WITH Angel, though!

Well, as you have seen, EVERYTHING Angel does is with 100% effort and enthusiasm. (Including begging for food at the table, none of this mooshy cute soft sad dog eyes stuff for her, she sits very politely and stares with an intensity that's funny, you WILL give me food NOW!)

She is an absolutely intense animal, no hyperbole intended.

RICHARD
05-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Birthday cake and drinks!

----

When ever I hear about a birthday cake, it always makes me think of the red punch that people would serve with it!

Servings all around!

Done.

momoffuzzyfaces
05-27-2013, 04:26 PM
I'd love some cake and a cherry rootbeer, please.
I had a great Saturday. My cousin was in town and we visited the local cemeteries then went to lunch. It's good to get out to eat once a year. I enjoyed it.

She also brought me my Grandmother's Bible that my mom had given my grandmother when I was 5 years old. My cousin's mom (my grandmother's only living daughter) had the Bible. Since she has alzheimer's and in assisted living my, cousin is bringing out some of the things that my Aunt no longer can use. I was thrilled to have it. She also gave me 3 pictures of my dad when he was young. He was only 11 in one of them. Time to do some scrapbooking again. :D

cassiesmom
05-28-2013, 07:16 AM
It's only 50F today in Chicago ... I'm drinking decaf coffee; would anyone like some with me? It's supposed to be back up to 70F by Monday, with rain on-and-off all weekend.

Tuesday morning and it's still raining. Blecch. This rainy weather makes my joints ache, especially my old broken toe. I'm drinking decaf coffee again this morning; would anyone like some? It's supposed to rain all day with highs in the mid 70s F.

RICHARD
05-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Tuesday morning and it's still raining. Blecch. This rainy weather makes my joints ache, especially my old broken toe. I'm drinking decaf coffee again this morning; would anyone like some? It's supposed to rain all day with highs in the mid 70s F.

We must be related, my toe has been bugging me too!

I'll do a coffee with you?

Hows about a piece of toast, too?

---------------------

MOFF,

I have a bunch of photos I managed to salvage from my mom. My problem? I don't know any of the folks in them!:(

One CRB.....DOnE!