PDA

View Full Version : Possum outside iour house this morning!!!

Rocky'smomma
12-08-2002, 03:13 PM
this morning!!!!
dh had to kick it out of the can because he wouldn't get out...he didn't actually kick the possum itself but tilted the can sideways and kicked the bottom of the can and he ran out a little bit...he was pretty big actually, and I told Steve to kill it, but he just chased it off into some big ditch out behind our house,,,,I am gonna be afraid to take the kids to school in the morning knowing there is a possum running lose around our house:eek: :eek:

COCatMama
12-08-2002, 03:48 PM
No need to kill the Possum, put a big rock or brick on top of your garbage can. Possums are basically harmless marsupials unless cornered, but can you really blame an animal for defending itself when cornered? I seriously doubt you have to worry about your children going to school with a Possum around, where I used to live there were tons of the things around...never a problem, we also had Raccoons :)

Uabassoon
12-08-2002, 07:17 PM
We have possums back home in Texas, and they were never really a problem other than getting in the garbage. There's no need to kill a possum. They were all over the place back home and they never seemed to be aggressive towards people or anything. As long as you don't attack them they will leave you alone.

Lillycat
12-11-2002, 06:27 PM
i remember when cataholic was still living at home w/me and i noticed a furry somebody out back, took out the binoculars and saw a raccoon......than another and another. by this time cataholic thought i was just kidding.....but it was a whole family of them and they were soooo cute......we did have to secure the trash cans tho.......but they really were darling to watch!

nsweezie
12-12-2002, 07:15 AM
We used to have raccoons and possums all the time, and I would say that they were more frightened of me than anything.
We switched to metal garbage cans, and tied the lid down with a bungee cord and that stopped them getting into the garbage.
Once they built a subdivision in the woods behind my house all the raccoons and possums disappeared.

Edwina's Secretary
12-12-2002, 09:03 AM
The other evening a possum was in the driveway when I pulled in. Took his own sweet time too. I did not want to open the garage door until he moved on.

Possum are UGLY but they are not aggressive unless cornered. We had one in the basement window well once. He was angry because he couldn't get out and baring his teeth through the window. Finally we put a board down for him and ran up it and away.

We also have raccoons who dine in our garbage cans. They annoy my husband because they have decided the flat part of our roof makes a great toilet.

All this is in the City of Chicago!

(Please don't kill the possum!)

gini
12-12-2002, 10:03 AM
I have been feeding some stray cats in my yard and the other night I looked out and saw a much "larger" cat. When I turned on the outdoor light I realized it was one of the largest possums that I had ever seen - merrily chowing down on the cat food.

This particular one was beyond ugly - the coloring was very dark and mottled. The strays had given it wide berth to allow it to eat.

I do know that the possums are harmless - however, raccoons are a whole different story - especially if they have young with them. I do know of a woman who was visciously attacked in the face by a raccoon and while they were attending her needs and calling paramedics the raccoon went to another home and attacked someone else.

It happened to be a Tuesday evening when I saw the possum and it made me think of Logan and her Tuesday night visits - possum night!!

To see one in the heart of a large city always amazes me - and I wonder where do they go in the middle of the day?

Barbara
12-12-2002, 10:22 AM
There are wildlife who follow civilization. Why? Because of food. There are not so many areas left that can support wild animals but most of the cities that cover them now are full of food for raccoons, coyotes, possums, foxes. (Here in Europe we don't have coyotes and possums, but we have now imported raccoons and our own red foxes who are frequently seen in cities now).

So it is an intelligent move for the wildlife to go there (better a garbage can than to wait for 5 mouses), although I am sure it's not always fun.