PDA

View Full Version : Ewwwww Ewwww Ewww

Andie
12-08-2002, 01:27 PM
I went outside to tell Mom something and I seen Bull pick something up. When he dropped it at my feet I saw what it was, HALF A RABBIT! I couldn't find the other half and I could tell it had been dead for a while (there was no blood on the ground). Could the dog's have eaten the other half? Should I be worried about diseases?

I put the rabbit in the trash can to keep the dogs away. I think Bull thought it was a toy.

RockyRoad
12-08-2002, 01:35 PM
Eeewwww poor bunny!! I don't think a dog would wanna eat a Rabbit, just layfully bite it and stuff. Maybe he did, so check for anything strange going on with him, vomiting, etc. My friend's dog ate her hamster once so I guess it could happen.

Desert Arabian
12-08-2002, 05:59 PM
Andie- I feel sorry for you. If I saw a half rabbit in my yard, I would feel *very* sick.

FLS- Yes, dogs would eat rabbits. They are carnivores.......and I have seen a dog chew on a rabbit- which wasn't the best thing to see- thats for sure!

DogMania
12-08-2002, 07:37 PM
One word:Disgusting

sammi
12-08-2002, 08:05 PM
I am sorry that you had to see that. But, did you have to post it that way? How do you think the people on here who have bunny's for pets are going to feel after reading that? Or mice either.

Nomilynn
12-08-2002, 08:11 PM
I guess what I had posted earlier was upsetting for some people, so I'll just take it back

aly
12-08-2002, 08:30 PM
(edit: the post some of us are replying to was deleted)

Sad and disturbing.

Those mice were yours? Did you breed them? Gosh its sad enough hearing the story but if I knew the mice, I'd just die of sadness.

A couple weeks ago one of our dogs escaped from her kennel overnight and caught a mouse. She bit its head off. I cried all morning for the poor mousey, even though he was a wild one.

Twisterdog
12-08-2002, 09:13 PM
Sometimes dogs and cats will eat dead things they find ... but mostly they just carry them around, chew on them and roll on them. I would be a little concerned though, about your dog becoming infected with internal parasites from the dead rabbit. You might wish to ask your vet if he/she thinks a stool sample would be prudent at some point.

As for dogs and cats killing rabbits and mice ... you know ... dogs and cats are predators. Mice and rabbits are prey. That's the way the world is. I don't like it when my dogs kill a rodent or rabbit or bird ... especially if they bring it in the house and I have to clean it up. Bleck. But I don't blame them for it, they are doing what comes naturally to them. It is their instinct to kill. If one chooses to own a cat or dog, knowing that they are predators with a prey drive and are going to kill something someday is part of the bargain. It's really not wise to own a predator if you absolutely can't deal with death.

Having both predators and prey in the same household is risky business. Sometimes nothing goes wrong for years and years ... but once in a while, some little critter dies. That's the chance you take when you choose to own both predator and prey.

shais_mom
12-09-2002, 12:26 AM
FLS-
have you ever seen the shows on tv where dogs/cats even wild ones like wolves and lions and tigers attack their prey? Well domestic dogs and cats are from them so what makes you think they would play with a rabbit. Please don't put Lady and Floppsy in the same room! :mad:
We had our dog growing up kept every type of rodent and small animal away from our house. We didn't have any mice, rats, birds, rabbits, cats, nothing.

iceyshiver21
12-09-2002, 07:53 AM
i know how you feel, only my it was my rabbit i saw in the neighbor dogs mouth, i was horrified,:eek: then i just sat down and cried

Logan
12-09-2002, 09:16 AM
That's bad, but it does happen. When you have dogs and cats, they are going to hunt when they can. We have had almost every type of critter imaginable. Usually, my girls (dogs) just mouth things and carry them around. Once I did have a half a squirrel, thanks to my cat, Butter. Never did find out what happened to the other half......don't really want to know. It is sad, but a part of life. If we let them run loose, even in the confines of our own yard, they find things and are curious about them. Sad as it is, we do have to deal with it.