PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow I go into the hospital for a knee replacement

sasvermont
05-06-2013, 06:58 AM
My surgery is schedule for the afternoon. Wish me luck.

I know, there was someone here, who didn't make it through the surgery. I am having a local anesthetic and do not have heart problems at all. I am at risk of course, but don't have the problems that General Anesthesia brings with it.

I will let you guys know how I am doing as soon as I can get to my email etc.

I am worried, of course, but have lots to do before I leave for the hospital.

Prue is going into doggie daycare for a week or so. She will miss me but will have lots to do while I am recovering. I will miss her, for sure. She is my love. My neighbor is looking in on the cats while I am gone.

Fondly,
Sas

Freedom
05-06-2013, 07:33 AM
I've not heard of this being done with a local!

One of my friends had a full knee replacement last July 27th. She was in hospital 2 weeks, then in Rehab for 3 weeks, then home with PT for another few weeks (I don't recall how long). She had to use a CPM machine - constant passive motion - machine. This started the 2d day after surgery and as long as she was in the hospital, and in the Rehab she had to use it two hours, three times a day. She did not have the machine at home. Here is a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSgJV986Knc

The machine prevents a build up of scar tissue. IT starts with a gentle motion at 15% range of motion, and each day they add more movement to it.

She really credits this machine (along with all the other PT etc) for how well and how quickly she healed. She now has full range of motion and is pain free after 4 years of incredible pain (she put off the surgery quite awhile).

Best wishes to you!

phesina
05-06-2013, 08:15 AM
We're thinking of you, SAS, and sending along good wishes and prayers that all goes well.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Randi
05-06-2013, 08:19 AM
SAS, I wish you a successful operation and a fast recovery. Of course you're worried, but try to think how many times they've done this before. The motion machine Freedom posted a link to, seems a good idea. You should try to get one.

Yes, Prue will miss you, but I'm sure you found the perfect "hotel" for her, and the cats will be alright with your neighbor. :)

Sending lots of positive thoughts and keeping my fingers crossed for you. :love:

Queen of Poop
05-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery.

Barbara
05-06-2013, 09:42 AM
All my best wishes- I am with you: for them it may be routine, but for me it's different;) Nevertheless- it will be successful:) and you will feel so much better.

Cataholic
05-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Best wishes! I know people that have had this done and their only complaint is why they put it off so long.

Karen
05-06-2013, 10:01 AM
You will be in our prayers. Everyone besides dear Nicole (RIP) who has had it done has been thrilled with the results.

lizbud
05-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. Prayers that all goes as planned.:)

sasvermont
05-06-2013, 10:39 AM
I will probably be in the hospital 3-5 days, then off to rehab for probably another 10 days, then home. I should be able to drive within 3 weeks. Some people take a lot longer to get on with this process and some take even shorter than I have mentioned in the earlier sentence. They also give a femoral block to cut down on the pain for the first couple of days. But, yes, a local with some sedative much like Michael Jackson took to go to sleep. Hopefully I will not suffer from whatever killed MJ. :)

:D

kaycountrygal
05-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Good Luck to you re your knee replacement. I know you will miss your pets (and they'll miss you) but I'm sure you've made good arrangements for them. I'll say a prayer for your operation and a good recovery afterwards.

kuhio98
05-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Wishing you good luck and happy healing.

cassiesmom
05-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. Prayers that all goes as planned.:)

From here, too! Prayers that all will go well.

krazyaboutkatz
05-06-2013, 12:13 PM
I hope that everything goes well and that you also make a speedy recovery. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.

RockyRoad
05-06-2013, 12:35 PM
SAS, prayers are on the way that all goes well, and for a speedy recovery as well! :love:

Barbara
05-06-2013, 01:55 PM
If they give you propofol ( which is what MJ got) you should be fine;) he did not die on one stuff alone and certainly not because he only had it one time with surgery;)

ChrisH
05-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Sending prayers & positive thoughts for all to go well and for a full and speedy recovery. You will be in my thoughts. :love:

Karen
05-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Sas, do you have a designated human to come and post on Pet Talk when you are out of surgery, et al? I could PM you my phone number of you have someone who could call me - I don't expect you to feel up to it, but you know we'll all be waiting for the "All Clear!" And I bet Pru's gonna be spoiled at Doggie Day care and miss you lots!

Felicia's Mom
05-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Wishing you the best of luck! You will be in my prayers.

carole
05-06-2013, 09:58 PM
thinking of you and hoping all goes well with your upcoming surgery, and a speedy recovery, take care.

Catty1
05-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Prayers that all goes well and you will feel better soon! :):love:

Laura's Babies
05-07-2013, 08:02 AM
May God watch over you and keep you save.

Lady's Human
05-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Prayers that all goes well, and just listen to the docs. I hear chopping kindling a couple days after you get out of the hospital is NOT a good idea.

mbsmum
05-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Wishing you all the best and speedy recovery

Randi
05-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Thinking of you today and sending lots of good vibes! :love:

gini
05-07-2013, 01:42 PM
SAS you have my prayers for a speedy recovery and if possible - NO PAIN!

You will be back up and around with all of us very soon - you won't believe how fast.

We love you and I am off to light a candle for you.

recycler
05-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Prayers that all goes well and all is successful!

david p
05-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Pittsburgh prayers and thoughts go to you on your surgery, sas. I had my left knee totally replaced in 2004 and except for feeling a little discomfort when the weather changes, this store-bought knee is woking pretty good although I still can't believe it's been nine years already!!

sasvermont
05-18-2013, 01:02 AM
I left the hospital on the 10th and went to rehab and left there on the 15th. I am not in that much pain and can walk on the knee already. I will start with home PT for a short while then do aquatic therapy a couple of times a week. Can't wait to get in to that pool.

I will tell you more about the surgery, if you'd like to hear about it. I just want to get it behind me.

My leg is so straight now, amazing!

Thanks for all the kind comments.

:love::love::love:

Karen
05-18-2013, 01:25 AM
Yay! Good to hear you are home and doing better! Sure, tell us about it, as I am sure others will be curious. One of my nieces had knee surgery this week, she injured it quite badly playing frisbee after injuring it playing softball, and she is getting reminders to follow the physical therapy instructions as she wants to use that need for the next 80 years or so!

ChrisH
05-18-2013, 02:13 AM
It's so good to hear you are back home and doing well. :) :)

phesina
05-18-2013, 05:58 AM
That's great! So glad it went so well and you are back home, raring to go!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

lizbud
05-18-2013, 09:50 AM
It is great to hear from you again.:) So glad that things went so well for you. I'll bet Prue & the kitties
are thrilled to have you home.:)

Randi
05-18-2013, 10:36 AM
SAS, I'm so glad it went well and you're home! :) That aquatic therapy sounds good, I bet it will speed up things. Now, don't overdo it, though - and take care! :love:

gini
05-18-2013, 11:39 PM
SAS I have been lighting candles for you praying that all goes well and you recuperate quickly.
It sounds as though you are doing just great and I am so happy that is the case. Warmer weather
is on its way so you can enjoy swimming and walking more too. Keep on doing what you are doing because it is working!

sasvermont
05-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Each day I feel better and better. I no longer have to use a cane! The PT will begin again this week so the pain and swelling will probably reappear. I have had a pretty time of it so far. I am lucky. It is so nice to be back home with my pets.

Killearn Kitties
05-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Just seeing this for the first time, I'm sorry. So glad to hear that you are healing so well, and looking forward to more positive updates.

Alysser
05-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Yay, I am so sorry I didn't post when this was first written!!

But I am so glad to hear you are feeling better each day, that's really all that matters. Must be great to be back home.:)

Vermontcat
05-29-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm sorry I didn't get to reply to this thread sooner, glad to hear your surgery went well and hope that your recovery is continuing to go well.

sasvermont
05-29-2013, 09:19 AM
I can't believe it has been three weeks. Much of it was a big blurr. I am in a holding pattern this week, waiting for my surgeon to give me the ok to begin aquatic therapy. I don't have the best range of motion quite yet but hope that this week of rest will allow the swelling to subside and my leg to bend a little more in the right direction. I am off most of the pain meds but still need them after PT and sometimes to sleep. I am not happy about that but am making progress.

I have been walking around the yard with Prue. She seems to understand that I am not at 100%. She has enjoyed having the PT folks here as I give them a treat or three to give to her went they first arrive. She now thinks they are here to see her and she waits by their bags for more treats! She makes a pest of herself. My cats are doing the same. Being pests. They love company so I expected such behavior.

I love walking without pain. I do have tightness and that is a pain, but I think that is from the swelling. I have been icing it often and keeping it raised but I must be kind to it for a few more weeks I guess.

Thanks for all the good wishes and get well wishes. I think I was scared to death to have this done but in general it was a cake walk. Yes, I say that now. The first few days were just one big struggle to get more pain meds.

I had a spinal and then had a femoral block. There was a big problem with the block and I had a horrible reaction to the procedure. Fortunately they were right there with the antidote and I was ok. Scared the hell out of me. Apparently some of the fluid the used to do the block, got in to my blood stream. I couldn't breath. It was like having an asthma attack.

I had a filter on my IV that did not allow the Propothol (sp) to go through the IV properly and I was awake for part of the surgery. I know. What were they thinking? Sounded as though I was at the garage, having my car repaired.

All in all, I survived.

:cool:

lizbud
05-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Glad you are starting to feel better, but let me tell you, I hope I never need a knee replacement. The complications you've
mentioned sound horrible. Not being able to breath & being aware of everything during the surgery sounds like the stuff of my
worst nightmare. I hope you continue to do well in your PT.

momcat
06-02-2013, 05:25 PM
I also apologize for not sending you a message sooner. It's great to know that your surgery went well and you're feeing better every day. For now just take it easy, listen to your doctor, and you might want to reconsider training for that marathon. My prayers continue for your speedy and complete recovery.

Scooter's Mom
06-02-2013, 09:12 PM
So glad that you are able to walk better now. My aunt is putting off having her knee(s) done out of fear. Hopefully when she does get hers done it will turn out just as well!

((hugs)) to you!

Karen
06-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Tell your aunt nearly every I know who has had a knee replaced regretted waiting so long to have it don. Not right away, but 3-6 months afterwards, they were VERY happy - my old buddy Pete was back golfing after 6 months, and thrilled.