PDA

View Full Version : Graemer and Miley's Mom cat was available...

sasvermont
12-08-2002, 10:48 AM
Some months ago the breeder where I got Graemer and Miley let me know that their "Mom" cat was being retired. I thought, wow, that would be cool to have their Mom too. One big happy family. The breeder laughed and said I would have three very unhappy cats and that at this point / stage in their lives, there would be WAR. Abys often enjoy being the only cat. I think you can understand why. Anyway, I had visions of having one big happy family of Abys. NOT! I think it is good that Gabe is a different termperment entirely - and then some! He really can't be bothered with G & M, and stays to himself these days. He follows me around the house most days when I am home. Once in awhile I will catch them "grooming" Gabe - and then they get rolling around and then WAR breaks out. The same thing happens with "warm spot wars"....they start out really sweet and friendly....."Hi, I am here to check on your well being.....to make sure you are not too comfortable and too warm. Let me test the temperature of your fur. Wow, you seem warm to me. I think I will bite you (take your temperature with my teeth) just to make sure you are well done....and that you will LEAVE this spot to me!"...... WAR!:p

lailamara
12-08-2002, 11:06 AM
SAS my breeder strongly discourages 2 females in one household. She will not let her retired cats go into a multi cat household if their personality is not suitable and will not sell 2 females to the same home. Although she says sometimes it does work out you can never tell, especially with Abys. I'm thrilled Maya has stopped peeing on me and my stuff, Bodhi is starting to stand up for himself. My parents living in the household have been accepted by the cats and why not, lots of attention , games and treats. Sort of harmony for now...I'm enjoying it. I wouldn't dare introduce another cat of either sex. Abys.. my previous 2 were a lot more mellow, but not such - - - - disturbers.:rolleyes:
I do think your Miley and my Bodhi would be a good personality match and Graemer and Maya...well would the house still be in one piece. I'm sure Gabe would be smart enough to keep his paws out of the fray.

jenluckenbach
12-08-2002, 07:12 PM
wow, I had no idea that abys were like this. I have no experience with this breed at all. I guess I am lucky to have fallen for all the "mutt" types.

lailamara
12-08-2002, 07:46 PM
Jenluckenbach, to be fair to Abys... I think that SAS and I just happened to get a pair of fire-crackers in the personality department. My previous 2 were both very sweet natured and mellow and got along with everyone. When they passed on I was heart-broken and catless for over a year. I swore not to get another Aby...was about to get a "mutt" but due to circumstances I didn't inherit the two cats, and left to my own resources..next thing I knew 2 more Abys ..totally different look and personalities. Maya may mellow with time, she's an exceptionaly intelligent cat ....I figure the smarter the animal the more potentional to wreck havoc. Lets just say Abys are the border collies of the cat world.They have to kept very busy and occupied. I've had "mutt" types too who were as bright and as much trouble, more actually ... a black female in particular.. she and Maya...yikes. But despite all the troubles I love them dearly and can't imagine being without them. There is never a dull moment here.

Barbara
12-09-2002, 04:16 AM
Sas, what you write about the warm spot wars -exactly Filou and Tigris. Tigris being a mixed breed is in general a little calmer than Filou but both of them together act absolutely like the others described here.
Lailamara: the border collies of the cat world: that's it. And I could never imagine having only quiet plump cats (of course I love them wherever I meet one) -I just love Filou's grace and antics and temperament.
Just this weekend he attacked the shadow of my hand in the bathtub and got so crazy over it that he jumped up and down, hunted his tail and the shadows and his little plastic frogs and finally broke a glass pot with shampoo -but how much I laughed before he did that;) ;) ;)

jenluckenbach
12-09-2002, 06:41 AM
Could it just be the "2 females together" issue? (As in, "my breeder will not allow 2 females to go to the same house"? My personal experience has been much better with the males.

Cataholic
12-15-2002, 09:18 PM
I have to say, my females are so low key! Allie is a total brat, but, she gets along with the world. Georgia is such a sweetie pie, again, low key...and Minnie? Well, I don't know. I think I have heard her peep about three times since July.

I think cats are as different as any thing else. It depends on the personality. I have one low key male, two lover boy males (one of them is the low key one), and an alpha male. So, in my house, the females are 'easier'...personality wise, with other cats..tho the boys are more loving to me...I think the Abys are just plain WEIRD!!! :D