PDA

View Full Version : Oh Lordy.....

slick
04-26-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm already getting emails with links and in particular about this little guy who needs a furever home of his own.
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/25359399

I just had a long conversation with the human who has him and he's very unhappy at the moment. He loves, loves, humans but absolutely hates other felines and canines. She thinks he's about 5 or 6.

Yes?? No??

I do have the option to foster for a month or two but we all know my track record with fostering.:rolleyes:

Queen of Poop
04-26-2013, 08:12 PM
YES!

He's gorgeous. Very much needs you.

dehlers43
04-26-2013, 08:30 PM
What a beauty! How can you resist? :love:

Catty1
04-26-2013, 08:30 PM
;) :D

A cat named Puppy?:love:

He is gorgeous. I am sure you could foster him for just a little while. ;) :D

Moesha
04-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Knowing that he has to be an only cat would prevent you from being tempted to get more than him. You could both be each other's world. At least foster him. You'll know if you bond or not. What's the worst that could happen? You aren't a match? The best? You both rescue each other. :)

ETA: I love that his name is Puppy. My niece wanted a puppy. My brother came home with a baby kitten he'd rescued from the side of the road just before a mower was coming. He was a MESS! They named him Linus. My brother named him Puppy because he told my niece that was her puppy that she wanted. I always called him Linus Puppy.

slick
04-26-2013, 09:29 PM
His name is Puppy because apparently he follows his foster humans all over the house like a puppy - always wanting to know what they are up to. His current foster home has many other foster animals and poor Puppy is not happy at all so unfortunately he is confined to a space of his own, segregated from the rest of the house so this rescue organization has been trying for months now to find him a foster home of his own.

I'm thinking maybe I should get my current vet bill paid off first... but he looks so sweet....:love:

Karen
04-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Well, if you take him as a "foster" they will reimburse you for food and meds for him, right?

Grace
04-26-2013, 10:08 PM
He's adorable, and would simply love living with one person who can shower him with affection :)

Try the foster route - you'll never know until you try :love:

cassiesmom
04-26-2013, 11:40 PM
He's beautiful! If he doesn't become your foster kitty, I hope he will go to a wonderful forever home soon!

zippy-kat
04-27-2013, 01:49 AM
Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES! (And for what it's worth, I love the name.) :)

ChrisH
04-27-2013, 04:41 AM
Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES! (And for what it's worth, I love the name.) :)
What zippy said plus a couple more, yes, yes!! :D He's perfect for you, go get him!

Freedom
04-27-2013, 07:13 AM
I'm thinking maybe I should get my current vet bill paid off first... but he looks so sweet....:love:

So ask if he is already neutered, if he is up to date on his shots. (I was too busy adoring his photos to read much detail ha haa). At the age of 5 to 6, he should not need much vet care for years.

Only YOU know if / when you are ready to add to your family. If you are ready, he sounds like a love and a good fit for you.

Bengalz
04-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Most definitely:love::love:. He needs you Slick!! Love the name Puppy - that's Evie's nickname because she follows us around like a little puppy too. Meant to be:D.

catmandu
04-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Sad to say the Found Cat Hotel would not suit this poor Little Cat.
We have enough trouble with Joey the Gray Growl Cat!!!:mad:

Catty1
04-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Slick, if you need a bit of a donation just say so! PM me your PayPal address and people can PM me to get it!

Taz_Zoee
04-27-2013, 12:11 PM
I think your home sounds like the perfect home for Puppy. I vote to foster and get your vet bill paid down a bit.:)

Shady
04-27-2013, 01:55 PM
He's beautiful! :love:

Do you think that maybe Merlin is guiding you? I believe they have a 'paw' in matching you with your new one..sending you in the correct direction so to speak..I definitely think that Tinkerbelle had something to do with Teddy succeeding her..

He definitely needs you. Personally I wouldnt pass this one up. ;)

momoffuzzyfaces
04-27-2013, 02:11 PM
I think you should throw in the towel and get him. After all there are lots of paws pulling strings at the Rainbow Bridge. If you don't get him, you will most likely be tripping over lots of cats who mysteriously pop up needing you soon. (I know from experience. I went from two to 7 in a short time) ;):love:

cassiesmom
04-27-2013, 02:46 PM
He is neutered. He is up to date on his vaccinations. He is fluffy and beau-mew-tiful...

http://photos.petfinder.com/photos/CA/BC/BC132/25359399/BC132.25359399-2-x.jpg

momoffuzzyfaces
04-27-2013, 03:49 PM
He is neutered. He is up to date on his vaccinations. He is fluffy and beau-mew-tiful...

http://photos.petfinder.com/photos/CA/BC/BC132/25359399/BC132.25359399-2-x.jpg

He looks like he could be Lady Edwina's brother!!! or Winnie's too!!! :love:

krazyaboutkatz
04-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Slick, he's gorgeous and I think that you both need each other.:) I would just let them know that you'd be willing to foster him for now and then you can just see how it goes. Good luck with whatever you decide.:)

Pinot's Mom
04-28-2013, 02:45 PM
I think you wouldn't even be posting or speaking of Puppy unless you already had a notion to come to his aid. ;)

slick
04-28-2013, 09:07 PM
:D:D:confused: Well, today I'm just not sure if I'm ready. I visited the a cat sanctuary (you can't adopt from there) just to get some fur therapy that I've been sorely missing. Then I went to a no-kill shelter and they had one section just for seniors. Met this beautiful 17 yr old grey baby that I almost walked away with, but my gut told me no. There must be a reason why my gut is so against getting another one so soon. Time will tell.

On the other hand, I could get a small dog.... :cool:

cassiesmom
04-28-2013, 09:29 PM
:D:D:confused: Well, today I'm just not sure if I'm ready. I visited the a cat sanctuary (you can't adopt from there) just to get some fur therapy that I've been sorely missing. Then I went to a no-kill shelter and they had one section just for seniors. Met this beautiful 17 yr old grey baby that I almost walked away with, but my gut told me no. There must be a reason why my gut is so against getting another one so soon. Time will tell.

A certain grey, black and white one with sort of a long coat and golden eyes :cool:

momoffuzzyfaces
04-28-2013, 09:31 PM

Maybe it wasn't saying no to the cat as much as to the age of the cat. A 17 year old would most likely come with lots of health problems plus would not be with you long. I agree it is too soon to go through that again. As for a dog, well, they need lots more attention than a cat. They must be walked after all. I'm still pulling for Puppy!!! After all, he can be a cat/dog with a name like that. But do what your heart tells you. :love:

Queen of Poop
04-29-2013, 07:28 AM
I think a certain kitty with the name of Puppy would provide you with the best of both worlds. What better than a kitty that follows you around like a puppy!??! He's younger so would be with you a little longer, giving you time to heal your heart and get all caught up with the vet. Just my thoughts. :)

catmandu
04-29-2013, 09:24 AM
I am sorry Slick I misread that thread.
I definitly think that Puppy is the Cat for you he has that Mister Scrappy Angel look and I know that Mister Scrappy would love to be his Guardian Angel.
Please give that Great Cat the love and FurrEver Home that all your Cats have recieved.
They are all purring yes from the Rainbow Bridge.:love::love::love:

Taz_Zoee
04-29-2013, 09:42 AM
You listen to your gut. You do what you feel is right..........when you feel it is right. Sure, we all want you to get another companion (be it cat or dog), but you have to be in the right frame of mind for it. So take your time, go get your cat therapy as often as you need it, and the right time and cat will come along. :)

kuhio98
04-29-2013, 10:34 AM
I think a certain kitty with the name of Puppy would provide you with the best of both worlds. What better than a kitty that follows you around like a puppy!??! He's younger so would be with you a little longer, giving you time to heal your heart and get all caught up with the vet. Just my thoughts. :)

Ooooo! You're good! :D

I'm with QofP. A cat named Puppy? It's a sign! :D

Catty1
04-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Take your time, Slick. Glad you can get your fur therapy regularly! Merlin may indeed be showing you possibilities, but you will know when the time is right. :love:

cassiesmom
04-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Slick, I am so glad there is a place you can get regular fur therapy! :love: If Puppy does not come to you, I hope he will be in a loving forever home very soon. He sure is beautiful!

Thinking of you,
Elyse

Randi
04-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Slick, I have a feeling that you're not quite ready yet, so do take your time. Go get some fur therapy at the sanctuary and one day, you'll get a sign and know it's right. :love:

Barbara
04-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Of course whatever you feel is right-on the other hand getting Orion 3 days after Filou left for Rainbow Bridge saved us a lot of tears. Made me feel a little guilty but it was the right decision....

krazyaboutkatz
04-30-2013, 01:46 AM
Slick, Yes please take your time. From my own experience, I've always found that by adopting another cat that I was able to heal a lot faster. I also agree with MOFF in that if you do decide to adopt another older kitty, that you may not have the cat for very long. Then you'd have to go through the grieving process all over again way too soon.:( I also seem to remember that you posted some where on PT that when Merlin was gone that you wanted to eventually adopt 2 cats the next time. If this is still true then Puppy wouldn't be the right choice. I know that I've posted many things on PT before and then I've changed my mind later so maybe you have too. Good luck with whatever type of animal companion that you end up adopting. I know that they'll have the best home.:)

Randi
04-30-2013, 09:21 AM
I had a look at the video from the shelter you go to, Slick. What a bunch of sweeties you have there! :love: I'd love to visit that place. The guy called Noel seems nice, too - have you met him?

http://www.vancouverfoundationstories.ca/story.php?recordID=65

Catty1
04-30-2013, 10:34 AM
What a great sanctuary! From the video it sounds like cats can be adopted there, but they are very fussy about who adopts.

I think the black kitty found on Main Street who doesn't like other cats might be an option for you in the future. He looks adorable and very loving!

Oh gosh...I wish I could win a huge lottery. There are so many places I would like to help!

Randi
04-30-2013, 02:59 PM
I think it's great they are so fussy about who adopts... I know we all agree about that. :)

I noticed an orange with a white chest and a big grey boy, who I fell in love with. Oh, there are so many. Hope they all find loving homes.

slick
04-30-2013, 06:49 PM
That video was made quite some time ago. Sadly, some of the furbabies have passed on now. The sanctuary is just that, a sanctuary, not a shelter. You can't adopt from the sanctuary because the 600+ kitties are there to spend the rest of their lives. Most of them are elderly or very feral. The sanctuary was started up to provide a home for all unwanted or abused cats. It never ceases to amaze me that they all cohabitate with very little feuding. They all know their place in the pecking order. It's a very calming place to sit, especially when you have several kitties circling your feet and wanting to sit on your lap.

The sanctuary is run by the Richmond Animal Protection Society (RAPS) and their office and shelter is about a 10 min drive from the sanctuary. You can adopt from this shelter. I was there on Sunday and almost came home with a beautiful 17 yr old grey girl. Granted, she could come with issues, but she's in a cage because she doesn't like other cats. Just can't stand thinking about her spending the rest of her precious life in a cage when I can provide a loving home for her, even if it's for a short time. For me, it's worth it. I try and try to explain this to my friends up here but they just don't get it.:mad: It's very frustrating.

My head still says "wait" while my heart says "go for it". Who would you listen to?

shais_mom
04-30-2013, 07:25 PM
That video was made quite some time ago. Sadly, some of the furbabies have passed on now. The sanctuary is just that, a sanctuary, not a shelter. You can't adopt from the sanctuary because the 600+ kitties are there to spend the rest of their lives. Most of them are elderly or very feral. The sanctuary was started up to provide a home for all unwanted or abused cats. It never ceases to amaze me that they all cohabitate with very little feuding. They all know their place in the pecking order. It's a very calming place to sit, especially when you have several kitties circling your feet and wanting to sit on your lap.

The sanctuary is run by the Richmond Animal Protection Society (RAPS) and their office and shelter is about a 10 min drive from the sanctuary. You can adopt from this shelter. I was there on Sunday and almost came home with a beautiful 17 yr old grey girl. Granted, she could come with issues, but she's in a cage because she doesn't like other cats. Just can't stand thinking about her spending the rest of her precious life in a cage when I can provide a loving home for her, even if it's for a short time. For me, it's worth it. I try and try to explain this to my friends up here but they just don't get it.:mad: It's very frustrating.

My head still says "wait" while my heart says "go for it". Who would you listen to?

Slick, when I lost Kylie and Keegan so close together last year, I said "no more pets!" My mom said
"now Stace, you will get a dog again" and I said "NO, it hurts too much." that took me about a week of feeling that way. Someone asked me if I had looked at petfinder and I said no b/c I had been looking at it in the few weeks before Keegan's death, to help my sister find a dog, and I already felt guilty b/c of that. So she pulled it up and we started looking at work one night, well then it was like the search was on! I am surprised it wasn't blocked at work! ;) I still was on the fence about when. I thought maybe I'd get one by the end of 2012, then I thought maybe by fall. I thought maybe I wanted an older puppy. Then I started hearing about my sister's new dog's sheningans, and decided nope don't want a puppy!
There really is no right time for another pet. One of my neighbors waited 3 days, another 6 YEARS!!! I saw several dogs on petfinder and Craigslist ( :( ) I emailed about and nothing came out of it. I met 3 at a local rescue but none had the connection. Then I saw Brodie's picture on Facebook. I thought "oh he has to be someone's dog" a week or so later I was looking thru that shelter's pics again. And somone mentioned he was still available. I made the trip and as soon as I saw him I thought I would like him. My friend that went with me said she thought as soon as she saw us together "that is her dog". I stood around awhile with him kind of on the fence of what to do. Then as I was standing by their desk I looked down at their huge desk calender and at the bottom corner of the calender was one word. When I saw it my eyes widened, I got a tear in my eye and knew at that moment it was meant to be. The word? KEEGAN
:love:
Within a minute or too they looked at me and asked what I thought and I took a deep breath and said "I'll take him."
:)

I always have thought you would enjoy a small dog. I can say without a doubt that the love of a dog is different than a cat. I can also say that having both is very rewarding, seeing their relationship grow and change is wonderful. Being curled up with a dog's head on your leg and a cat on your chest is wonderful. Puppy is just wonderful. He is gorgeous but if something is telling you still No then you aren't quite ready. You will know. Without a doubt.
:love:

Bengalz
04-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Slick,

I so agree with Shais Mom - you will know:D!! We hesitated for years to get another cat (or dog:D) after our precious August passed. That all changed in what seemed like a second when Eve walked into the garden - she belonged to someone else and yet, she made it well known that she had "come home".

For now, all you need to do is heal your heart and stay open to possibilities. The best surprises are the ones you don't expect:). There is a baby out there looking for you, just not sure where or when:love:.

Hugs, Betty

kuhio98
04-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Our hearts were shattered when Kuhio died at 17. A month later, Bobcat found the strength to go to the same shelter that mistakenly put Kuhio to sleep. He rescued Halo.
She was weak and sick from just giving birth.

Over the next months, her silvery fur soaked up a lot of our tears as she helped heal our broken hearts. I would like to think that we helped heal hers as well.
Our hearts were broken again when we lost her in 2010. But, we would do it all over again. Because the only thing worse than losing a baby, is never loving another one.

Any kitty would be lucky to have you as the purrson.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-30-2013, 09:50 PM
As for me, I could not stand to be in an empty house. But then, I'm almost isolated. I get out to run errands but never have humans around other than a cousin who comes visting once a year. I go weeks without talking to another human sometimes.

But even before that, I just can't take an empty house. I always listen to my heart because my head, specially now that I'm getting old, tends to get things confused a lot.

If I had listened to my head, I would never have tried to tame Winnie down and for sure never tried bringing her inside. Now she is the most loving cat you can imagine. Well, exept for the occasional laspes when she tries to bite my head. :D :love:

zippy-kat
04-30-2013, 10:03 PM
For what it's worth, I would love to see you adopt Puppy but if you're not ready, you're not ready. And there's no need to feel guilty over either decision.

FOR ME, I adopted Gus and Lizzie way too soon after K'Cee passed. (She passed on a Monday, I adopted Gus and Lizzie that Saturday, and had surgery two days after the adoption.) I don't regret my choice of furbabies but I did feel guilty about adopting so soon, I kind of felt that I cheated my heart cat out of a "proper" mourning, that I did her a disservice, etc. All of that of course is ridiculous but as you said, the head and heart are sometimes at odds.

On the other hand, I was facing surgery and a long time off my feet and on my butt and couldn't imagine anything worse than being alone in my home during that time. (Yes, I had FiFi bunny but I have a hard time catching her when I'm "normal" so I could forget even attempting to let her out during this time.) So, it was adopt them while I could drive or wait three months and chance that they might not be there. Selfishness won out; I went and adopted both and cried the two hour drive home, asking K'Cee to forgive me.

When I got them home, first order of business was a bath and pedicure. Afterwards, I shut them in the bathroom with fresh blankets, litterbox, food, etc. Then I sat down and bawled. What had I done?

I checked on them frequently, earning hisses and growls anytime I entered. What had I done? Later that night, I was able to snag Gus and I took him into the living room; I held him and just cried and cried and cried. I told him about K'Cee and how she would be so mad at me and what a great cat she was and how I felt like my heart had been split open. He didn't move but he didn't growl. We both fell asleep and I woke up with a stiff neck (not to mention puffy eyes) 5 hours later, Gus still draped across my chest.

Five months later, I still can't think or mention K'Cee without tearing up. But what I CAN do is answer the "What have I done?" question. I have rescued two kittens from a humane society and, more specifically, a foster that had 25 other cats and could only tell me that Gus (then a different name) had very long whiskers. I have provided medical treatment for their colds, flea-disease (I can't remember what it was called), got rid of their worms, and put them on a good food. I have slowly opened up parts of my home and heart to two kittens who have very different personalities; Lizzie the clown isn't much for cuddling, while Gus, who was only known for his whiskers, is a snuggle bug and will wake me up to be held. (It hurts my heart to think that this cat who so clearly craves attention, didn't receive ANY in his foster home. The foster's quote to me was, "Well, I have about 27 cats. It's hard to know each one's personality." The foster cried as I left so I know he cared for them, I think his heart was just bigger than his schedule/wallet.) Even now, there are places in my home (and truth be told, my heart) that are off limits to the new kitties, they are "K'Cee spots" and I'm just not ready.

I honestly couldn't ask for better kittens, though. They are THE BEST about using a scratching post/pad. The only times they've had accidents were when the antibiotics (and change in food) gave them tummy aches. They don't get on the counters (anymore... or at least that I know of.... though Lizzie was bound and determined to hide behind the Keurig when I first let them out of the bathroom). They don't try to run outside. They get along with the bunny although, being kittens, I don't let them play together. Their only "vice" is any sort of paper; they will SHRED it (or better yet, put it in bed with me THEN commence to shredding it). Oh and Gus has a fetish for the kindle and ipad... he knows how to turn the pages (digs at it like he's in the litterbox lol) -- hard to read with him around. :rolleyes:

So, would I adopt again so soon? I can't say "no" but "probably not." My heart still DEEPLY aches for K'Cee. But then I see these two kitties running around playing or hold Gus and listen to his monster-sized purr, I know I made the right choice for THEM .... and me, too, even if I'm not ready to admit it yet.

Fret not, it'll work out like it's suppose to. :love:

momoffuzzyfaces
05-01-2013, 09:00 AM
There is one remarkable thing I have learned over my MANY years. The heart has an amazing ability to expand and make room for more love without taking away any love that is already there. Every animal I have ever loved; and there are tons of them, are still in their own special place in my heart. No other animal will ever take their place it is theirs for ever!!!

No matter how long you have a fur friend, there will never be enough hugs given. You will always want to give them at least one more. I still tear up at times wanting to give Leonard and Luke and all of them "one more hug". Every day that passes brings us closer to the time we will be able to hug them again. Only difference is there will never ever have to be 'one last hug' again. :love:

Taz_Zoee
05-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Ok, now I am here crying at work from these heartfelt stories.

I believe you should listen to your heart. It speaks louder than our heads, usually. You will do the right thing, at the right time, for you.

I think it would be wonderful if you could give the 17 year old grey kitty a loving home for the remainder of her time here.

Again, you will do what's right, don't you worry about that. :)

katladyd
05-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Mac is about 15 and is on meds for his thyroid condition, so I know my time with will not be the longest (if I have another 2 years with him I will consider myself blessed). Stil, l when he passes I will have this great big ol' hole in my heart. I can't say for sure what I will do when that time comes, but I do know that Mac would want me to give a good home to another needy kitty, just like I did with him. I see it as making good use of the love still left in my heart. I can irefuse to open my heart or I can help another little fur soul find a loving home. Only time will tell what I will do, but I hope it's the latter.:love:

Pinot's Mom
05-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Now that I'm on the verge of tears....

You will know; absolutely. We waited 6 years after we lost our beloved 18 year old Jamara. It just wasn't right until we found a sick little kitty that needed us. We knew but it did take a while.

slick
05-01-2013, 10:50 PM
OK, I've just spent the last few minutes reading all of your stories and right now I have major LES.
I was very blessed to witness the bond between Tonya and K'Cee and I'm sending her big hugs right now. I, too, feel this sense of guilt every time I'm on petfinder (which is daily now) or other websites belonging to local shelters.

Max was really my heart kitty and after he passed in 2010 I waited 5 months before bringing Merlin home and even then I was crying and missing my Max, but that didn't make me love Merlin any less. He came, he purred and he walked away with a piece of my heart just as Speckles and Max had done before him.

momoffuzzyfaces

There is one remarkable thing I have learned over my MANY years. The heart has an amazing ability to expand and make room for more love without taking away any love that is already there.

MOFF; This touched me greatly because I believe that God has helped each and every one of us to openly accept a new fur baby into our lives.

Because the only thing worse than losing a baby, is never loving another one. You are so right. I could not have said it better.

Heart speaking: At the moment, all I want to do is adopt a senior. I keep thinking about that grey girl I saw in the cage. She was not pawing at me, nor was she meowing to get my attention. She just sat there in all of her glory and stared at me; her eyes piercing my soul as if to plead for a loving home somewhere.

Head speaking: Not now, not yet. **sigh**

The trouble is that our shelters are overrun with beautiful, loving seniors who want nothing more than a full belly and a warm place to sleep. How does one choose? Oh yes, the pet chooses the human, I forgot that.:rolleyes: I know that when the time is right the oppurrtunaty will be right in front of my eyes. I just don't know if I can wait that long.

For now, I thank all of you for sharing and for making me feel a little less lonely tonight.:love: