PDA

View Full Version : Lays Potato Chips Being Sold On E-bay

krazyaboutkatz
04-21-2013, 02:35 AM
I went grocery shopping tonight around 10pm. It was nice because there weren't very many people. When I was walking down the snacks & chips isle a woman wanted to share some good news with me. She was so excited because she just found 1 bag of Lays Chicken & Waffles potato chips. She said that of the 3 newest flavors that this one is the best and they're very hard to find. She also said that e-bay is selling them for $30 a bag.:eek: A friend of hers was ready to buy a bag on e-bay. I've never been a big potato chip fan and I certainly would never pay $30 a bag for any flavor. Have any of you ever tried them? Are they really that good? I looked them up on e-bay and here's what I found: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=lays+chicken+and+waffle+potato+chips&_sacat=0&_from=R40.

pomtzu
04-21-2013, 05:44 AM
I never heard of that flavor of chips, but I can assure you that I would have to be starving to death before I'd pay that for a bag of chips. I guess some people just have more money than brains! :rolleyes:

ChrisH
04-21-2013, 06:47 AM
One person wrote on Amazon

"Charging $18 (or $22 on the website!) for one bag of chips that you're intentionally under-producing and advertising constantly is completely reprehensible. These are shameful business practices,Frito-lay. "

I totally agree with him/her. Even if they are super yummy (which I wouldn't know as I'm a Brit) I would never, ever, pay those prices.

Lady's Human
04-21-2013, 07:11 AM
It's not Lay's who are creating the price jumps, it's individual sellers. In the grocery store they're still the same price.

Pinot's Mom
04-21-2013, 07:43 AM
I have heard of the new flavors, including that one, and they are part of a campaign to find the 'new flavor' of chips. I would think they were limited editions as they are just out long enough to find which one is the most popular of the three. It's not wrong; it's marketing. It's not shameful, no one is being deprived of a necessary food source, THEY'RE POTATO CHIPS!!!

I, myself, would never buy the flavor. Give me plain, barbecued, crab seasoned, and occasionally sour cream & onion flavored. That's as adventurous as I go...and I'm not paying over market price for any of them.

chocolatepuppy
04-21-2013, 08:09 AM
A girl I work with paid a pretty penny on ebay for Hershey Kisses, the candy cane ones, last year long after Christmas was over.
I like them too and stock up but hey, when Christmas is over, move on to Easter candy!:p:D

Karen
04-21-2013, 03:09 PM
A girl I work with paid a pretty penny on ebay for Hershey Kisses, the candy cane ones, last year long after Christmas was over.
I like them too and stock up but hey, when Christmas is over, move on to Easter candy!:p:D

See, that's the difference - you'd pay a little extra for pet treats, but she must not have a critter to spoil!

Scooter's Mom
04-21-2013, 03:58 PM
I bought a bag of the chicken & waffle flavor chips since the 'creator' (the lady who made up the flavor) is from the Phoenix area.

I ate 3 chips and tossed the rest of the bag. Definitely not my style.

pomtzu
04-21-2013, 04:02 PM
I bought a bag of the chicken & waffle flavor chips since the 'creator' (the lady who made up the flavor) is from the Phoenix area.

I ate 3 chips and tossed the rest of the bag. Definitely not my style.

They don't even SOUND good to me either. I'll stick with the good old basics - not that I eat many chips anyway!

krazyaboutkatz
04-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Like I said earlier, I really don't even like potato chips but there are some barbeque flavored ones that I've liked in the past. I love the nacho cheese doritos.:)

smokey the elder
04-22-2013, 09:12 AM
I wasn't able to find any of the new flavors being voted on (chicken and waffles, garlic and cheese, or sriracha) so I couldn't even offer an opinion. I'd love to try the sriracha ones, though!

wolf_Q
04-23-2013, 10:18 AM

I still have like half a bag of those in my pantry...we got them for christmas and I didn't really like them all that much (and I'm like a candy addict) she can have them if she pays shipping lol. I really can't think of any food item I'd be willing to spend a bunch of money on after its gone for the season. My favorite chocolate is guittard chocolate chips and you can buy those year round.

I did kind of want to try the potato chips I looked a couple of times, I only wanted to try the garlic bread ones. When they first came out our smiths had a ton of the sriracha that's it...that was like the day they came out I think that's the only flavor they sent. I never saw any of the other flavors though I didn't try all that hard, I did look a few times I work right by the smiths so I walk over there on breaks sometimes. I wish I would have known I could have made bank on ebay with potato chips I would have bought a bunch ha ha.

Alysser
04-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Is Chicken and Waffles a southern thing? I've never even heard of that.

pomtzu
04-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Is Chicken and Waffles a southern thing? I've never even heard of that.

Yeah - it started out as a southern thing, and then gained popularity. Not to my liking tho. It's like - why do people (southerners mostly I think), put gravy on fried chicken???? Why fry chicken to make it nice and crispy, and then make it soggy by pouring gravy over it. :confused::rolleyes: YUK. Save the gravy for roasted chicken - not fried!!!

Casper
04-23-2013, 11:25 AM
I can't imagine paying that much for a bag of anything... well, maybe if it was a bag of money. ;) I never quite understood the appeal of chicken and waffles. There is even a little restaurant in a nearby city that caters to that kind of dish specifically.

But....

It's like - why do people (southerners mostly I think), put gravy on fried chicken???? Why fry chicken to make it nice and crispy, and then make it soggy by pouring gravy over it. :confused::rolleyes: YUK. Save the gravy for roasted chicken - not fried!!!

C'mon, gravy goes good with everything. :D

pomtzu
04-23-2013, 12:10 PM
But....

C'mon, gravy goes good with everything. :D

Yup - you're a southerner all right. I'm not a big gravy person to start with. A lot of folks say that DE is a southern state, and I even thought that way at one time (when I was growing up in RI)! It definitely isn't - even tho we are almost south of the Mason Dixon Line. But DE is definitely more southern than it is Mid-Atlantic. I just think of it as somewhere between the Yankees and the Rebels - kind of no-man's territory........:eek:

Alysser
04-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Aw come on, even I like gravy on everything!! I am a southerner at heart I guess :D Mmmh Chicken and gravy from Cracker Barrel..:p