PDA

View Full Version : Boston Marathon

Karen
04-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Any Boston Marathon fans? It's this weekend - Monday for the actual marathon itself, so the hype is starting around here of course! We moved, so we no longer live along the Marathon route itself, but have to keep in mind all the road closures involved.

I saw this article, and thought it might interest folks! Fun Marathon Facts (http://bostinno.streetwise.co/all-series/boston-marathon-2013-overview-13-fun-boston-marathon-facts)

Grace
04-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Great article - thanks, Karen.

I knew many of the items mentioned - being from Rhode Island and an avid sports fan. It's always held on Patriot's Day, the 3rd Monday in April. And it is only observed in Massachusetts and Maine. Once upon a time Maine was part of Massachusetts, which is why they celebrate the day :)

Some years back, our Federal Income Tax forms were sent to some place in Massachusetts for processing, and when the 15th would fall on a Monday, we always got a days grace.

phesina
04-13-2013, 05:24 AM
I ran the Boston Marathon in 1984!

I wasn't one of the official, qualifying runners.. I was one of the many who joined in at the end of the pack who hadn't qualified but just wanted to do it for whatever reason. I wanted to see if I could do it.

It took me 4 1/2 hours, but I made it! I remember getting to Wellesley (halfway point) and it suddenly dawned on me: Someone has already won this by now! And as I found out afterward, someone had indeed.

A friend of mine who had done this a couple of years before had talked me into trying it and gave me a training schedule which I had followed for the three or four months previous. As I came into Wellesley center, I suddenly heard "Pat! Pat!", and there she was cheering me on! And then when I got to Beacon St. at Harvard St. in Brookline, there she was again cheering for me.

Boy, were my legs ever sore for several days following!

In 1985 I did another one, the Harrow Charity Marathon in suburban London. Another 4 1/2 hours, but again I finished. This one was about six months after I'd had a mastectomy, so I guess it was my way of saying I'm doing just fine.

That was the last time I did something like that! I kept on running for years and years, but since last year I've had a lot of soreness in my hips and groin and upper legs and sometimes it's painful to walk. I'd love to get back to running again, but I don't know if that's going to be possible.

pomtzu
04-13-2013, 02:50 PM
WOW Pat - I'm impressed. I couldn't run the perimeter of my yard (about 1/4 mile), if my life depended on it! :eek:

phesina
04-13-2013, 05:01 PM
WOW Pat - I'm impressed. I couldn't run the perimeter of my yard (about 1/4 mile), if my life depended on it! :eek:

Thank you, Ellie! But I couldn't run the perimeter of your yard now if MY life depended on it, either!

pomtzu
04-13-2013, 06:10 PM
It's hell gettin old - ain't it??? :p I'm glad I have company, tho.......;)

Moesha
04-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Such a scary scene they are talking about from there right now.

Karen
04-15-2013, 03:26 PM
It is, although from what we see, both explosions look small, but there is no known cause yet, unjust speculation ranging from electrical issues, gas issues to "bombs" and no one knows much. Right now they are saying 6 people are known injured.

pomtzu
04-15-2013, 03:48 PM
How tragic! 2 dead - 28 injured is the latest count.

Karen
04-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Yes, and now they are saying there were at least 2 homemade bombs, and they found one that had not exploded, so hopefully they will be able to find out who did this, and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.

pomtzu
04-15-2013, 04:11 PM
CNN is reporting that a 3rd bomb exploded at the JFK library, and now the injured count is 49 with 6 of them critical, I imagine this will be changing thru the night as more info comes in.

What is wrong with this crazy world???????????:mad::mad::mad:

cassiesmom
04-15-2013, 04:21 PM
This is so sad. Boston Marathon day should be a day of celebration, not fear.

Sowa
04-15-2013, 04:46 PM
This is really sad :( I hope those who are injured will be ok :(

Karen
04-15-2013, 05:39 PM
There reports of injuries are now up to at least 60, and there are many in critical condition at local hospitals. News reports are now saying it was not a bomb at JFK Library site, but a fire.

As I left the house to go mail our taxes a little while ago, a large helicopter flew overhead quite low, maybe support from local military. Much of that area of Boston is closed right now, and while train service is back up and running, they are asking people to stay inside.

The BSO concert for the evening has been cancelled - Symphony Hall is a quick walk from there, and there is a lot of confusion, of course. We look forward to answers as the days move forward, and will keep the injured innocents in our prayers.

mrspunkysmom
04-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Hugs to those in Boston. I do not understand why some people think this violence is necessary or justified.

Alysser
04-15-2013, 08:21 PM
I cannot believe some of those pictures, I am absolutely heartbroken and disgusted. Thoughts to the city of Boston, especially the victims:love:

kitten645
04-16-2013, 01:56 AM
Heartbroken. Honestly. What is the matter with people?

cassiesmom
04-17-2014, 05:36 PM
I read in the newspaper that the 2014 Boston Marathon is coming up on Monday. I hope and pray it will go off without a hitch.

Karen
04-17-2014, 08:10 PM
I read in the newspaper that the 2014 Boston Marathon is coming up on Monday. I hope and pray it will go off without a hitch.

Thank you, we are all basically concerned but determined. A MassArt student pulled a "prank" on the anniversary date of the bombing, claimed it was "art" but got arrested for it, as it was just plain stupid of him, not clever or thought-provoking or anything.

cloverfdx
04-18-2014, 07:30 AM
That year has gone so so fast.

cassiesmom
04-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Karen, how was the marathon day? I have only heard good things about it on the radio, which makes me happy. I have a friend from church who was in it :)

Karen
04-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Karen, how was the marathon day? I have only heard good things about it on the radio, which makes me happy. I have a friend from church who was in it :)

I have friends who went, and they all had a good time! Everything went very well, the weather was perfect, and o no one had any complaints! Just my friend's son, who is almost six, had an unfortunately messy incident - some person had dropped some "gel" energy concoction in a packet that looks like an energy bar in the roadway, and when a subsequent runner stepped on it, Alexander got coated in sticky goo! Otherwise it all went well, the crowds were huge but well-behaved!

cassiesmom
04-20-2015, 04:08 PM
Happy Patriots' Day, Massachusetts! I didn't even realize until I heard some results on news radio- today is Boston Marathon day and Patriots' Day :) Meb Kefezighi (sp?) finished 8th, yay Meb! I have a co-worker who is a marathon runner, and she is running in her first Boston Marathon. She has done the Chicago marathon. My friend from church isn't in the Boston Marathon this year.

Karen
04-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Happy Patriots' Day, Massachusetts! I didn't even realize until I heard some results on news radio- today is Boston Marathon day and Patriots' Day :) Meb Kefezighi (sp?) finished 8th, yay Meb! I have a co-worker who is a marathon runner, and she is running in her first Boston Marathon. She has done the Chicago marathon. My friend from church isn't in the Boston Marathon this year.

Thank you - rainy day for the annual Battle of Lexington and Concord reenactments, and for the race, but spirits were high for both! My new friend from church has run marathon, but is working her way up to a Boston attempt!