PDA

View Full Version : Mlb 2013!

Lady's Human
04-02-2013, 07:54 AM
And the Red Sox start out the year in first place!

(And did it through pitching, baserunning and defense?)

Whodathunkit?

pomtzu
04-02-2013, 07:58 AM
I'm glad that you said "start"........:eek: They have a whole heck of a long way to go to "finish" there! :p

Lady's Human
04-02-2013, 08:06 AM
They actually have a chance this year, minus Valentine (said from the beginning, it's either going to be a disaster or great, nothing in between) and some new young players. It's a different look for the Red Sox, pitching, defense, and speed.

pomtzu
04-02-2013, 08:15 AM
They actually have a chance this year, minus Valentine (said from the beginning, it's either going to be a disaster or great, nothing in between) and some new young players. It's a different look for the Red Sox, pitching, defense, and speed.

My dad and brothers would be thrilled. I remember as a kid, them glued to the radio listening to the Red Sox games. My surviving brother lived in FL for over 40 years before moving to NC, so now he's a Marlins fan, tho he still follows the Sox. Tee-hee-hee - Marlins lost their opener, just like the Phillies did! :(

smokey the elder
04-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Go Red Sox!:D

Jessika
04-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Cards not off to such a hot start but hey it's just the start of the season eh?

Lady's Human
04-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Dear Yankees,

Please hire a new radio broadcast team.

Thank you.

Jessika
04-04-2013, 10:12 PM
3rd game of the season, 16 innings, I couldn't stay up past 12:30 to watch the whole game and I don't think it ended till nearly 2:30am CST!!!

Lady's Human
04-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Way to keep it classy, Toronto/ :rolleyes:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9140750/boston-red-sox-manager-john-farrell-outwits-boo-jays-toronto-return

TORONTO -- This is what it was like at ground zero for John Farrell's return to the Rogers Centre on Friday night.

"You popped your head out of the dugout, they were waiting for him," Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo said.

"There was a lot of venom coming out of the stands. A lot of hand gestures, a lot of facial gestures, gruesome. Some of the comments were well below the belt. You stuck your head out, they were waiting, hatred in their eyes, screaming obscenities.

"They didn't mind if there was a child or woman sitting there. These people, it was like, let it rip and say whatever you want."

Lovullo said he couldn't help but be impressed by the coordination of a crowd of 45,328 chanting in unison, at least a half dozen times through the course of the evening, "F--- you, Farr-ell."

Somehow I think Youkilis' return to Fenway will be a tad different.

redbird
04-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Cards not off to such a hot start but hey it's just the start of the season eh?

Oh yeah baseball season is back and I'm looking forward to the Cards being right in the middle of everything and going to post season. GO CARDS.

Jessika
04-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Oh yeah baseball season is back and I'm looking forward to the Cards being right in the middle of everything and going to post season. GO CARDS.
We are very typical to start off slow then make it into playoffs by the skin of our teeth... I have faith :)

Home opener AND my birthday tomorrow!!! Let's go cards!!

cassiesmom
05-28-2013, 07:20 AM
The Cubs beat the White Sox 7-0 last night behind some great Jeff Samardzija pitching :) And they played at the Cell! Nice work, Cubbies! It was a good sports night for me - the Cubs and the Blackhawks won.

Catty1
05-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Jessika - you live south of the 49th and you say "eh"? :D;)

cassiesmom
06-03-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure who that was that came in, put on Cubs uniforms, won a few games... but they've left and now the lovable losing Cubs are back. They've lost two in a row to Arizona. Oh, well. There's always next year.

Lady's Human
06-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Maybe the Cubbies need to get this guy to come over and put on a uniform:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/husky-interrupts-ncaa-tournament-game-takes-full-lap-173057541.html

cassiesmom
06-04-2013, 01:45 PM
I read an interesting story on the internet about food served at baseball stadiums all over the country. In Texas you can get Tex-Mex food, in California you can get a fish taco or crab salad, and out east they have enormous sandwiches. (Where is PNC Park? They have a Primanti Brothers sandwich and I saw that restaurant on Guy Fieri's show.) Up in Milwaukee you can have a Usinger bratwurst instead of a hot dog.... yum! I'd like to try the fish taco, please and I love Mexican food.

Karen
06-04-2013, 02:17 PM
I read an interesting story on the internet about food served at baseball stadiums all over the country. In Texas you can get Tex-Mex food, in California you can get a fish taco or crab salad, and out east they have enormous sandwiches. (Where is PNC Park? They have a Primanti Brothers sandwich and I saw that restaurant on Guy Fieri's show.) Up in Milwaukee you can have a Usinger bratwurst instead of a hot dog.... yum! I'd like to try the fish taco, please and I love Mexican food.

PNC Park is in Pittsburgh -- davidp's nearest stadium!

david p
06-04-2013, 06:00 PM

Cassiesmom, PNC park is the home of the great Pitttsburgh Pirates and Primante bros make the best sandwiches in the universe!!

cassiesmom
06-08-2013, 02:08 AM
It hasn't been a very good day for baseball in Chicago. The Cubs ... lost to Pittsburgh. The White Sox had a lead, but their pitcher gave up a grand slam. I'm not sure who the Sox' opponent was.

Karen
06-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Today is a double-header in Boston, as yesterday night, they would have needed kayaks in the outfield. and a snorkel mark for the catcher!

RICHARD
06-14-2013, 10:32 AM
I have been going to some of the local minor league games here in town....

Growing up as a kid? I rooted against the hated Reds, Pete Rose, Cesar Geronimo, Dave Concepcion and the rest of gang.........

The team here is a farm club for the Reds, so I have had to stifle myself when I go to the games.:p;)

---------

The one thing that I really do enjoy is the atmosphere at the stadium.

It's not as tense as a major league game and the fans are much more well behaved.

It's sad that people take sports too seriously.

cassiesmom
06-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Oh, Cubbies. You are breaking my heart. You were up 3-0 going into the ninth inning - against the Mets - and you gave the win away. When the fans said "Maybe next year" last year, we really meant it.

Grace
06-17-2013, 12:35 PM
I started life as a Red Sox fan. As a native of Rhode Island they were the closest. My uncle took my brother and I to Fenway Park when we were just kids - my first visit to a "real" ball park.

As I got older I sort of switched to the Yankees - after all, they did win the occasional Championship. I remember game 5 of the 1956 World Series - racing home from school to see Don Larsen pitch a perfect game. After I graduated from Nursing School, I worked in NYC - Columbia-Presbyterian. A patient gave me 2 tickets to game 5 of the 1962 World Series. The Yankees beat the Giants - what fun that was :)

I moved to Michigan in 1966 and immediately loved the Tigers. And two years later they won the World Series :)

I'm a Tiger fan through and through. But when the Sox won in 2004 I almost went nuts. What a fantastic run of baseball that was. The person I most thought of that night was my Uncle Lester - how happy he would have been when they won.

The Tigers are doing well this year. It's fun to watch our lineup when they are on a role. Poor opposing pitchers - can't figure out who to walk 'cause the next one up is perfectly capable of driving the ball out of the park :)

Grace
06-17-2013, 10:10 PM
Tigers 5 - Orioles 1

Max Scherzer is now 10 - 0, with 116 K - best in the Majors :)

cassiesmom
07-02-2013, 02:57 PM
The Cubs are 15 games behind Pittsburgh in the National League Central. The White Sox are also quite a ways out. d:-(

Pinot's Mom
07-03-2013, 11:36 AM
The O's are coming....only 3.5 games back from the BoSox...we'll see... :)

Karen
07-03-2013, 01:27 PM
It has been an interesting season so far ... I do like it when it's not just the same teams on top, the AL East has several good teams going!

cassiesmom
08-13-2013, 01:42 PM
The Cubs are 15 games behind Pittsburgh in the National League Central. The White Sox are also quite a ways out. d:-(

And ... things are not improving. When will baseball season be over? Grrrfff.

Lady's Human
08-13-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm getting SO tired of the umpires acting like they're more important than the players.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20130812-rangers-a.j.-pierzynski-ejected-in-midst-of-yu-darvish-attempted-no-hitter-this-is-the-kind-of-stuff-that-just-happens-to-me.ece

It was a borderline ball, which normally gets called a strike with a hot pitcher on the mound, and Kulpa has to turn a possible no-hitter into a headline about himself.

Karen
08-13-2013, 09:20 PM
But isn't it all about Ego?

I will be glad when we can get through a sportscast without hearing a certain Suspended-but-playing Yankee's name. Sigh. Why would a manager even want him on the field but to generate publicity?

Lady's Human
08-14-2013, 06:07 AM
I will be glad when we can get through a sportscast without hearing a certain Suspended-but-playing Yankee's name. Sigh. Why would a manager even want him on the field but to generate publicity?

Not going to happen.

I doubt Girardi wants anything to do with him, but ownership's possible out on his ridiculous contract was shot down by MLB when they allowed him to return to the field.

If they gotta pay him the remainder of the money they owe him, they might as well play him.

Jessika
08-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Boooooo Pirates, cards have been knocked out of first place and are trailing by a few games... always seems to happen to us midway through the season! It's ok, we've always been a wild card team, anyway ;)

redbird
08-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Boooooo Pirates, cards have been knocked out of first place and are trailing by a few games... always seems to happen to us midway through the season! It's ok, we've always been a wild card team, anyway ;)

Yeah, I'm pretty mad about that too and last night's game didn't make me feel any better. The Cards are a better team than that. I'm glad they won that extra inning game a couple of nights ago. Hopefully we can win today and take two out of three from the Pirates.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/caroltree/BASEBALL/sadcardinalforStan.jpg (http://s127.photobucket.com/user/caroltree/media/BASEBALL/sadcardinalforStan.jpg.html)

Even Redbird is hanging his head in shame :(

RICHARD
08-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Slugger Field, the AAA Reds affliate made it into second place in the USA Today poll.

It's a wonderful place, they left up the brick facade of an old brick building and built the field behind it - I have been a few times and really love it.

The most expensive regulat ticket is 11 bucks and they have specials like 1.00 dog and soda night, dollar beer night and they also have an All-You-Can-Eat offering in a covered pavillion in right field.

http://www.mydesert.com/article/B2/20130814/SPORTS07/308140138/Slugger-Field-finishes-second-USA-Today-Readers-Choice-vote-best-minor-league-ballpark

I grew up hating the Reds, so I have to suck it up when I go to a game......

david p
08-16-2013, 08:06 AM
It was a pretty good game last night even though the Cardinals got lucky in the 12th. My Buccos are still in first place by two games. Go Bucs!!

Grace
08-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Max Scherzer is now 19 - 1 :love:

And, he also had a double - knocking in the winning run :)

cassiesmom
08-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Even though Ryne Sandberg is now the manager of the Philadelphia Phillies, he got a huge welcome at Wrigley at yesterday's game. Sorry, Philly but he was a Cub first and he will always be "our" Ryno!

david p
09-03-2013, 08:24 AM
The Buccos are in first place again by a game. Our new players are helping out and all of Pittsburgh is Pirate crazy. Raise the Jolly Roger!

RICHARD
09-04-2013, 08:36 PM
The Buccos are in first place again by a game. Our new players are helping out and all of Pittsburgh is Pirate crazy. Raise the Jolly Roger!

And a winning season, the first in 20 years!

Congrats.:)

david p
09-06-2013, 06:53 AM
And a winning season, the first in 20 years!

Congrats.:)

RICHARD, all of Pittsburgh is winning season happy and post season happy!

RICHARD
09-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Growing up I HATED THE REDS...so, it's pretty funny that I end up in a city who has a farm team associated with the Reds.

I also had a chance encounter with Dusty Baker, the current manager of Cincy, right after he was released by the Dodgers for alleged drug use. I saw him pull up in a silver Porsche and when he got out, I knew who he was!

When I see people I know from sports, TV I don't bother them....So when he took a few swings and came over to sit down and chat with me I was stunned stupid.

He was the nicest guys on the planet, he was genial, humble and took time to talk to me a some kids that were hanging around.

There were 5 cages and one threw at some speed that was faster than 85 miles an hour. He told the kids, "No one throws THAT fast." and I puzzled over that statement because a Major League pitcher was throwing close to 95+.

He was trying to let the kids know that they probably wouldn't face a guy that threw that fast for a long while-the kids were 10-13 years old......

We talked a bit about his release, baseball and when the kids began to ask for autographs, he turned to me and said, "Don't you want one?"

It wasn't done in an egotistical way, it was more like, "Hey, you were nice enough to chat with me and talk to me like I was human, not a Super Baseball Star...."

He gave me two autographs and ever since then I have been a HUGE fan of his, So.......As much as it hurts me to say this - I bleed Dodger Blue -

GO REDS!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Lady's Human
09-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Dear Red Sox,

Please, stop winning like that.

The night before last was the worst, as I lost the radio signal from WEEI around Tully, NY and went to work convinced you had lost the game.

Then you make it a 10 inning game and win in the wee hours of the morning.

Last night you're down by 5 runs and get 9 runs to the plate in the last 2 innings.

Knock it off, just win the games without the drama!

On a side note, somewhat along the lines of Richard's situation with the Reds, I'm a Red Sox fan in a Mets town, the local mets AA affiliate is right across the street from the plant I used to work in. When Tony Pena was managing the team, he handed the kids a couple of baseballs out of the bucket in the dugout, which got them into the game.

RICHARD
09-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Dear Red Sox,

Please, stop winning like that.

The night before last was the worst, as I lost the radio signal from WEEI around Tully, NY and went to work convinced you had lost the game.

Then you make it a 10 inning game and win in the wee hours of the morning.

Last night you're down by 5 runs and get 9 runs to the plate in the last 2 innings.

Knock it off, just win the games without the drama!

On a side note, somewhat along the lines of Richard's situation with the Reds, I'm a Red Sox fan in a Mets town, the local mets AA affiliate is right across the street from the plant I used to work in. When Tony Pena was managing the team, he handed the kids a couple of baseballs out of the bucket in the dugout, which got them into the game.

Tuck and I went to a game and the Bats were losing, as we wandered out to the parking lot - I purposely walked slowly because it wasn't MY IDEA to leave early - we made the sidewalk along the fence outside the stadium, a few hits and a run score, then the crowd goes crazy as the game winning hit was delivered in the bottom of the ninth.

We looked at each other and laughed, I think it was them we realized that we 'might' be bad juju for the team?

----------------------

Remember.

One ball, one strike, one run is all you need.

This is a photo of the Louisville Bats home field, Slugger Park. After a long estrangement with the sport, I think my heart is once again full with the idea that I Really Love Baseball.:love: It was taken with a Nikon camera and the multiple shots were stitched together with the software that came with it.

It's a wonderful park.

I finally got to experience a rain delay, lightning, high winds, the groundskeepers covering the field during one game. In Lost Angeles, the Dodger have only had 17 rainouts in 50 plus years of playing.....;)

The tickets are cheap, the prices reasonable and every seat is a good seat. They have a pretty good selection of food - my NEXT goal is to eat a foot-long corn dog I saw a kid eating...a regular corn dog is kinda non-spectacular.

I must have stared at this kid for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what he was eating, no go......Then another kid walked by and I managed to put 2 and 2, together.

I am glad that baseball has returned to it's previous state, No ridiculous record chases (PEDs anyone), no overbearing stars - I don't count Alex R or Ryan B - just good old baseball.

Karen
09-07-2013, 05:47 PM
I am glad that baseball has returned to it's previous state, No ridiculous record chases (PEDs anyone), no overbearing stars - I don't count Alex R or Ryan B - just good old baseball.

Yeah, and the last couple games - Red Sox versus Yankees - have all been "slug-fests" - which makes for fun game watching even if they kept us watching until the last out! When these two teams go at it, one never knows what will happen. Today's score - 13 to 9 (Red Sox won), and there were only two inning in which neither team scored a run!

RICHARD
09-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Yeah, and the last couple games - Red Sox versus Yankees - have all been "slug-fests" - which makes for fun game watching even if they kept us watching until the last out! When these two teams go at it, one never knows what will happen. Today's score - 13 to 9 (Red Sox won), and there were only two inning in which neither team scored a run!

I was up early this morning and scanning the usual channels, weather and sports when I saw this little tidbit about the arse whopping the Yanks got in back-to-back games.

NO team had scored 12 runs in back-to-back games against them since 1907.

--------------------------

One of the things that is fun about baseball is that there are limitless records, tidbits, scores, accomplishments that show up every so often.

Like back-to-back-to-back homeruns? I was at Dodger Stadium that day, It was a double header against the Expos!

While I get RISP, BA, and ERA? I was looking at some of the newer, more in-depth stats and had to laugh...

Batting average with men on base, two outs, three strikes, in innings ending in the letter "D", with the cost of a soda at 4.00, during a day game-with two or more vowels in the name with Mercury in retrograde.....

---------------

CHECK THIS OUT.

I found this site and was stunned at first! This is so cool I had to share it...

http://www.backtobaseball.com/

Pick the date and the game you want to see and watch what happens!

cassiesmom
09-18-2013, 03:57 PM
The Cubs are 63 and 88. When is this season going to be over?! Ricketts family, why oh why would you want invest in extensive Wrigley Field renovations for a team that just can't seem to win?

Karen
09-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Here's a pretty detailed chart of the current standings, and projected playoff spots et al - pretty interesting!

http://mlb.si.com/2013/09/18/pennant-race-standings-and-projected-postseason-matchups-september-18/?sct=mlb_t2_a2

They say they will update it daily ...

Jessika
09-18-2013, 10:17 PM
The NL Central race is so nerve wrecking....!!!!! Cards are currently in 1st... hopefully up by another game tonight....... it makes me so nervous with the Pirates and the Reds only being within 2 games behind us...!

redbird
09-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Yep, right now we are up by two vs Pittsburgh. I'm watching todays free game online, so far no score in the second. Pittsburgh right now are winning their game. We shall see what happens. GO CARDS!!!

Jessika
09-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Sad loss last night. But it is so typical of us to blow a game like that when we had the odds in our favor SO MANY TIMES. Bases loaded with 1 out?! Of course we'd blow it. Booooo.

Still up, but barely! :(

redbird
09-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Sad loss last night. But it is so typical of us to blow a game like that when we had the odds in our favor SO MANY TIMES. Bases loaded with 1 out?! Of course we'd blow it. Booooo.

Still up, but barely! :(

Matheny should never have had Kozma the bum come up with bases loaded. Anybody but him, he is terrible and I hope they trade him after this season.

Jessika
09-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Matheny is doing something right... 2 years as manager and we're going to our second post-season! I know Matheny doesn't have many fans as he takes too many chances... but I'll be damned if he is doing something right. 2 post seasons in 2 years as manager..... he is obviously doing SOMEthing right!

Red October, baby!!!!!

redbird
09-28-2013, 10:36 AM
We are now the NL Central Champs and I'm loving it. Way to go Cardinals, go as far as you can guys. You're a great team.

cassiesmom
09-28-2013, 10:47 AM
What's the deal, Cubbies? Is it the manager? Many managers have come and gone, and yet the team has not had consistent success. Maybe we really are cursed. This sad season is O-VER.

Jessika
09-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Well if it makes you feel better, I always cringe when we (Cards) play the Cubs.. because we can have the best record in MLB and roll over and lose horribly to the Cubs. Every. Time. I actually got a little worried with these last 3 games against them because we only needed ONE win... and I was so afraid we'd let us get our butts kicked by the Cubs. ><

Scooter's Mom
09-28-2013, 03:23 PM
My high school classmate is retiring (again) from the NY Yankees. Andy Pettitte has been a great pitcher for the Yankees.
He's pretty much the only ball player I've ever followed. Now I can stop! haha...

RICHARD
10-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Was that Cal Ripken or Daddy Warbucks?

david p
10-02-2013, 08:10 AM
YAHOO! The Buccos are in the playoffs against the Redbirds. Look out, Cardinals!

redbird
10-02-2013, 10:57 AM
YAHOO! The Buccos are in the playoffs against the Redbirds. Look out, Cardinals!

Don't hold your breath, the Cards are survivors and we will win this.

david p
10-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Don't hold your breath, the Cards are survivors and we will win this.

Don't hold YOUR breath, redbird!! The Pirates and the Pirate fans are hungry after 21 years of not winning and the Pirates will raise the Jolly Roger and win!!

Lady's Human
10-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Congrats to the Pirates. Nice to see a relatively small budget team make the post-season.

That being said, I can't wait to see the Red Sox beat the Rays quickly. Nice that the Sox have home field advantage at the Trop. :p

david p
10-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Congrats to the Pirates. Nice to see a relatively small budget team make the post-season.

That being said, I can't wait to see the Red Sox beat the Rays quickly. Nice that the Sox have home field advantage at the Trop. :p

Yes LH, the Pirates players have finally come together as a team this year. The Pirates may be somewhat small budget, but I think we have the talent to defeat some of the bigger teams in the majors.

RICHARD
10-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Tell David P I am not talking to him because his Pirates bumped the Reds from the playoffs.;):eek:

But the Dodgers won, so I don't feel too badly.

Jessika
10-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Cards/Pirates first round will definitely be an interesting one.

Karen
10-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Just have to say, every time I see a story mentioning A-Rod, he's sounding increasingly desperate and in denial - recently he claimed he was "duped" into taking the steroids (after denying he ever took any), and now he's suing MLB! Just take your accumulated $$ and slink off into retirement, dummy!

RICHARD
10-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Just have to say, every time I see a story mentioning A-Rod, he's sounding increasingly desperate and in denial - recently he claimed he was "duped" into taking the steroids (after denying he ever took any), and now he's suing MLB! Just take your accumulated $$ and slink off into retirement, dummy!

"I stuck the needle into my rear because I was dumb?"

Yikes.

--------------------------

Oh, some close plays are happening and I hope they aren't pivotal in any series....

david p
10-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Yahoo! The Buccos are within 1 game of going into the NLCS! Raise the jolly Roger!

Jessika
10-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Cards are bringin' it home!

david p
10-08-2013, 07:57 AM

The Buccos have beaten Adam Wainright before in St. Louis, so don't count on an easy game! Raise the Jolly Roger!

Jessika
10-08-2013, 09:03 AM
The Buccos have beaten Adam Wainright before in St. Louis, so don't count on an easy game! Raise the Jolly Roger!
Oh, I never counted it as being an easy series. I called it going to 5 before we even played game 1. But the Cards have been here before ;)

Karen
10-09-2013, 12:32 AM
Weee! The Red Sox are moving on! It was a good game tonight, no score until the bottom of the sixth inning, so not a blow-out by any means. But exciting anyway!

smokey the elder
10-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Go Red Sox!

redbird
10-09-2013, 01:25 PM

Oh Yeah, we are going to the NLCS. Go Birds!!!

Get em tonight big boy.

Woot Woot....The Cardinals are in the NLCS, what a game last night, Waino was fantastic. On to play the Dodgers who us birds will peck and peck till we win.

RICHARD
10-10-2013, 12:43 PM
If anyone had vacation time saved up, You may want to take it in November.

You can go to Lost Angeles to see the World Series Trophy.

Just saying......;):eek::p

---------------

DavidP,

It was a great run while it lasted.

david p
10-13-2013, 10:30 AM
If anyone had vacation time saved up, You may want to take it in November.

You can go to Lost Angeles to see the World Series Trophy.

Just saying......;):eek::p

---------------

DavidP,

It was a great run while it lasted.
Yeah RICHARD, it was the best year for us Pirate fans for over 20 years and next year I think the Buccos can go ALL THE WAY!

RICHARD
10-14-2013, 09:38 AM
You would have thunk that all the Nor'eastern fans would be posting, giddy over all the sports magic that happened yesterday.

Before "El Gran Papi" came up I knew it was going to be a Gran Slam.

(I had a little doubt when Tom Brady took the field in the fourth, but hey, I can't predict every game.)

Lady's Human
10-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Sorry, the northeast is currently recovering from a collective heart attack combined with a side of heartburn.

RICHARD
10-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Sorry, the northeast is currently recovering from a collective heart attack combined with a side of heartburn.

Boston strong, huh?:D

Karen
10-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Boston strong, huh?:D

Another good game tonight, another nail biter - good pitching, just one run scored in the whole game!

I kinda love playoff baseball, when everyone is at his best!

redbird
10-16-2013, 01:28 PM
I kinda love playoff baseball, when everyone is at his best!

I love playoff baseball also especially when my team is in it. The Cardinals have one more game to win and we go to the WS. I'm hoping they win today and get it over with.

RICHARD
10-17-2013, 11:04 AM
El mariachi loco quiere bailar?!?!?!?

Dos veces.

redbird
10-17-2013, 11:34 AM
You're in America, speak English.

Jessika
10-17-2013, 08:48 PM
I have never wanted to beat a team to boot them out of the post season SO BADLY than these Showboating Dodgers. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Lady's Human
10-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Red Sox are up 3-2 and headed back to Bahstin!

:D

Karen
10-18-2013, 12:38 AM
Wheee! Now, between this weekend being the Head of the Charles Regatta, and games at Fenway Saturday and Sunday if necessary, I'll be sure to be avoiding Boston or Cambridge traffic at all costs!

Jessika
10-19-2013, 12:53 AM
Cards are going to the WS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quite an embarrassing game for the Dodgers tonight...

RICHARD
10-19-2013, 06:17 PM
You're in America, speak English.

And what exactly is that supposed to mean?

Please, Let me know. I am really curious.

RICHARD
10-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Cards are going to the WS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quite an embarrassing game for the Dodgers tonight...

One thing about winning, and the measure of a class act, is being able to pull it off with humility.

Something that you just don't find in the dirt of a diamond, the grass or even the stands.

Lady's Human
10-19-2013, 11:08 PM
And the WS is the Red Sox vs. the Cards.

I'm actually glad the Dodgers didn't make it, I tired of hearing the anointment of Puig as the greatest player on the diamond. Is he good? No question, but it was a touch over the top for the baseball writers to push for him to be in the All Star game when he had been in the majors for all of 1 1/2 months.

Karen
10-19-2013, 11:31 PM
But with the Cardinals and the Red Sox, won't the fans all want wear red as their team color? Just sayin' ...

Good game, but I am sure Iglesias won't live that error down anytime soon.

Jessika
10-20-2013, 12:10 AM

I'm actually glad the Dodgers didn't make it, I tired of hearing the anointment of Puig as the greatest player on the diamond. Is he good? No question, but it was a touch over the top for the baseball writers to push for him to be in the All Star game when he had been in the majors for all of 1 1/2 months.

Puig and Gonzalez were ridiculous showboaters. I mean... great, you got a double, high-five the coach and then focus back on the game... don't stand there chest thumping and fist pumping over a double... for crying out loud.

And dear Puig, if the ump calls you out, just go back to the bullpen like everyone else who gets called out, don't stand there and stare them down or hit the ground with your bat.

RICHARD
10-20-2013, 04:58 PM

You have to look at the what he did for the dodgers franchise.

They weren't anywhere near finishing at the top of the division. The team was a 'fashion statement' for McCourt and his wife. They redid the stadium and raised the ticket prices to astronomical levels. He also made his wife the VP or somesuch position within the organization. When the divorce started, the team became the centerpiece for the proceedings and they were going to tear it down, had not MLB stepped in.

MLB took control and sold the team to Johnson and his group in the offseason and they weren't picked to finish anywhere near the top.

------------

They really sucked at the beginning of the season when Puig showed up and he was able to inject 'baseball' back into a franchise that really had no business being good.

All the hoopla about him being an All Star was purely hype and BS, but the facts are that this kid can play.

I was waiting for Puig to make the catch that sent then to the World Series, then limp thru an open door in the outfield fence, never to bee seen again.

He's show up at his house, hug his wife and Mr Applegate would have to give him soul back?:eek::p:D

-----------------

You will feel better when the Sox win and you don't have to hear the name Yasiel Puig for 6 months.....:eek:

RICHARD
10-20-2013, 05:05 PM
"They're just having fun, I would hate to see a game where there wasn't any emotion, I think the fans enjoy it, I would love to see more."
-Broadcaster Vin Scully, defending the Dodger's showboating style that irritated the Cardinals during the NLCS.

I know I have had problems with wood products and splinters in my lower colon at times, but I learned to deal with it?

RICHARD
10-21-2013, 02:45 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/louisville-slugger-bats-being-prepared-for-world-series-1382376632-slideshow/

Now, we just have to find out how to make 'baseball mud'.....

Lady's Human
10-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Well that's a shame:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9857689/detroit-tigers-manager-jim-leyland-return

No more Jim Leyland?

Karen
10-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Well, maybe he will take a different position somewhere, he just said he felt like it was time to stop managing. I doubt he's done with baseball entirely!

Karen
10-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Last night's game had me a bit worried - did the Cardinals just forget how to play baseball suddenly? I'm not complaining - we got the win, but letting a simple pop fly drop between pitcher and catcher seems more like a Little League maneuver!

Lady's Human
10-24-2013, 12:07 PM
That was an odd play, but it was an odd game defensively for them across the board.

(At least I got to watch the whole game.......) Small consolation.

redbird
10-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Last night's game had me a bit worried - did the Cardinals just forget how to play baseball suddenly? I'm not complaining - we got the win, but letting a simple pop fly drop between pitcher and catcher seems more like a Little League maneuver!

Yep, we looked like a bunch of clowns out there last night. Kozma is a really bad player, hopefully he gets sent back to the minors, he is not good enough for major league baseball at all. Of course Waino wasn't very good last night either and our players weren't hitting also so of course we lost the game.

Hopefully with Wacha pitching tonight it will keep the Sox at bay, we need a win tonight...Go Cards!!!

Hope Beltran comes back soon, we really need his bat.

moosmom
10-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Sox kick @$$!!!

redbird
10-25-2013, 03:26 PM
They didn't kick anything last night, they couldn't cope with our young and fresh pitchers. We did the butt kicking last night, woo hoo and now on to St. Louis where there will be no DH.

Karen
10-25-2013, 03:30 PM
It was a good game until Breslow came on and gave the game away … Still, even though we lost, I enjoy good baseball. We'll see what happens next!

Lady's Human
10-25-2013, 03:48 PM
I lost the signal on my commute right after Ortiz hit the homer.

I love listening to baseball on AM radio. Depending on the night, I either pick up a skip from WEEI in Boston directly, or from their affiliate in Hartford, or ESPN radio in Maryland, Cleveland, Chicago, or NYC, as the skips are stronger than the local radio stations.

The only thing missing is someone to play cribbage with while listening, but I think the boys in the blue and gold cars would object to adding that into the mix.

Karen
10-25-2013, 03:52 PM
I am not the only one who likes listening in the car? Gotta stem from our childhood, with the games on the kitchen radio …

For confused folks, the station that carried the baseball games when we were growing up, before cable came to the hills of our small town, was only clear enough to watch when the leaves were off the trees, so most of baseball was radio only!

Lady's Human
10-25-2013, 03:58 PM
I love listening to baseball on AM radio. Falls in the same category mentally as fried chicken and mac and cheese.

Frankly, I prefer it to watching on TV most of the time, especially if it's a national broadcast team. I was actually considering getting a satellite radio system for the house for next season as WEEI's skip doesn't come in at the house, so I think I can get the NESN radio broadcast that way without dealing with the MLB blackout rules.

redbird
10-26-2013, 03:04 PM
It was a good game until Breslow came on and gave the game away … Still, even though we lost, I enjoy good baseball. We'll see what happens next!

I don't think anyone gave the game away, the Cards played good baseball and that is why we won. The first game we played bad baseball and that's why the Sox won. I agree with you tho, I love good baseball and yes we will see what happens.

RICHARD
10-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Al LoCosale was an executive with the Oakland Raiders in the early 70's and he had the story about the Immaculate Reception that involved the officials and the 'controversial ending' to the game.

The Raiders were leading and the Steelers called a pass play that bounced off the intended receiver and into the arms of some guy name Franco Harris who ran in in for a touchdown. The rules of the time said that if a ball that was deflected by an offensive player, it could not be advanced and was a dead ball.

The officials delayed in making the call and the stadium, filled with crazed Steeler fans, would have erupted had the refs ruled against Pittsburgh.

The story AL told was that after the play the officials went into the dugout - the game was played at Three Rivers Stadium - and called up to the press box and asked "how many police can you send down to escort us out of here?"

When the person on the other end didn't give him a satisfactory answer, the ref simply said, "TOUCHDOWN STEELERS!"

----------------------------

Whenever I see a 'controversial play' that is ruled in favor of the home team, I laugh and scream "TOUCHDOWN STEELERS".....

-----------------------

I wonder if Molina did an interview with Telemundo or one of the other Spanish outlets?

Karen
10-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Certainly the most unusual ending for a ball game I have ever witnessed! Dang obscure rules!

Jessika
10-27-2013, 05:53 PM
It really bothers me when Sox fans are pitching a fit and claiming that it was a bad call.

An interference/obstruction call does not mean that the interference/obstruction is intentional... it just means there was interference. The base runner has a right to a clear path to base. Unless one of the base players is immediately in play with the ball, they are not to interfere with base runners. And that is what happened last night.

The reason why Craig was not called out at home was because the home base ump SAW the third base ump make the interference call and waited to see if Craig would have made it to home without tripping before being tagged out. Since Craig was tagged out AT base, he clearly would have made it to base BEFORE being tagged out had he not have tripped, therefore he was called "safe" and the run was awarded to the Cardinals to win the game.

I know no one here is really "complaining", but my goodness you'd be so surprised how many people don't understand the rules of baseball, unless they directly apply to them. If the roles had been reversed and that had been a call against the Cards in the Sox favor, I would have been upset and REALLY bummed out, but I wouldn't be sitting here complaining about what a bad call it was and claim how "convenient" it was that the umps made the call for the home team... I mean, come on.

Admittedly, for being the world series, this is the sloppiest world series for both teams that I've ever seen.

Oh, and Karen, I love listening to the games on AM, too!! My only complaint is that if you don't tune in at the right moment, you may have to wait forreeeevvverrr for them to announce the score/inning.

RICHARD
10-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Certainly the most unusual ending for a ball game I have ever witnessed! Dang obscure rules!

That was pretty goofy and unusual.

I laughed at the call and the interview the ump did after the game.

-----------------------------

The sweetest radio is done by Vin Scully.

When you go to dodger stadium you are assaulted by two things when you walk into the gates, the smell of hot dogs and Scully's voice echoing thru the crowd. People being radios and turn them up so you get this 5.1/Surround Sound/Dolby effect in the stadium.

It's the greates thing on the planet.

Lady's Human
10-27-2013, 06:52 PM
There are numerous rules in MLB and other sports that are interpreted, written and enforced differently than the way we learned them growing up. That's a large piece of the issue. The way that rule was enforced when I was playing LL baseball, there had to be obvious intent.

Unless you play or ump the games full time, there are wrinkles to the rules that very few know, and the rules shift over time. One of my friends is an ump for HS baseball, and they have several day long meetings during the course of the winter to discuss rules changes and emphasis on rules for the next year. It's very much a moving target.

What most are upset about is that the officials normally don't make borderline calls that can change a playoff game.

RICHARD
10-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Fred Merkle is somewhere, laughing.

--------------

Quien es el Papi mas grande de todo el mundo??

Lady's Human
10-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Rolling I think is more the case. :p

Karen
10-28-2013, 01:06 PM
With the obscure rule call that ended game 3, and a pick-off of a pinch runner in game 4, one just has to wonder how game 5 will end!

And the answer to your question, Richard? I think everyone has their own favorite father, but "Big Papi" is one of a kind! :) I saw a brief clip of him with his 3-year-old son several years ago, teaching him how to bat, and he was just as good a dad as one could imagine! And his son was arable, of course!

Lady's Human
10-28-2013, 01:24 PM
And his son was arable, of course!

What were they growing on him? :p

Karen
10-28-2013, 02:39 PM
What were they growing on him? :p

That should have been adorable - autocorrect guessed wrong!

RICHARD
10-28-2013, 06:06 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/09/david-ortiz-hit-groin-ball-red-sox-fan-video_n_4071833.html

This made me really laugh.

RICHARD
10-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Rolling I think is more the case. :p

Poor Fred and his Boner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkle%27s_Boner

I love baseball.:D

cassiesmom
10-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Poor Fred and his Boner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkle%27s_Boner

I love baseball.:D

That was the last time the Cubs won the World Series. Poor Fred.

Lady's Human
10-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Whodathunkit?

A game in this series that they actually played clean ball! (Not that I'm complaining but you have to wonder why they insist on pitching to Papi. )

Jessika
10-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Whodathunkit?

A game in this series that they actually played clean ball! (Not that I'm complaining but you have to wonder why they insist on pitching to Papi. )

WHY DO WE KEEP PITCHING TO HIM?? I mean for crying out loud they walked Pujols in 2011 nearly every time he came up to bat... but yet we keep taking chances with him... KNOWING he hits EVERY TIME... Can't wrap my mind around it.

And I even went to the game last night since my BF won tickets in a drawing at work... what a disheartening game.

Miracles have happened though, I have faith with Wacha, but unfortunately we need TWO games to win and that seems a little unlikely......

However............. the last time the Sox clinched a WS win at home has been quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite a few years, sooooo... I still have hope! ;)

Karen
10-29-2013, 10:38 PM
WHY DO WE KEEP PITCHING TO HIM?? I mean for crying out loud they walked Pujols in 2011 nearly every time he came up to bat... but yet we keep taking chances with him... KNOWING he hits EVERY TIME... Can't wrap my mind around it.

And I even went to the game last night since my BF won tickets in a drawing at work... what a disheartening game.

Miracles have happened though, I have faith with Wacha, but unfortunately we need TWO games to win and that seems a little unlikely......

However............. the last time the Sox clinched a WS win at home has been quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite a few years, sooooo... I still have hope! ;)

We'll see what happens tomorrow night … It's funny, as "red" is both teams color scheme, one cannot tell who fans are rooting for nearly as readily!

redbird
10-30-2013, 01:02 PM
We'll see what happens tomorrow night … It's funny, as "red" is both teams color scheme, one cannot tell who fans are rooting for nearly as readily!

I really needed that break last night (Tuesday) from the WS. It looks like now Boston are the favorites but we shall see what happens. 57372

Karen
10-30-2013, 11:07 PM
Yay! It was even a non-controversail game, and the folks I saw were pretty celebratory but gracious, and even showed respect for the Cardinals.

I will say that balk was really odd, never seen one like that, but it did not affect the score, and no harm was done to that pitcher, so that was good.

Sometimes it feels like forever ago that the bombings happened, but it is still a scar on the hearts of so many, and that this team managed to win the World Series, at home, for the first time in so many years, is remarkable. The whole city was at a dead stop in April, hushed and holding our breath, and now the city can rejoice together as well.

cassiesmom
10-31-2013, 12:20 AM
Congratulations, Red Sox and your fans! I heard on the radio that the Red Sox had not won the World Series in their home stadium in many years. Since 1918 was what the reporter said.

Dear Cubs: The Red Sox had a difficult season last year, but they obviously had a terrific season this year! Are you paying attention?

redbird
10-31-2013, 10:14 AM
Congrats to the Sox, the Cards just didn't bring their best with them to the WS and they paid for it. Sox won it fair and square.

Happy Halloween to all:

RICHARD
10-31-2013, 11:18 AM
No more baseball.:(

Until April:)

2014..:(

Spring training..:)

No stadium brats...:(

Until opening day..:)

No vendors yelling and distracting me :(

From great plays on the field..:)

Six months with no daily scores :(

Time will go by pretty quickly...:)

Baseball..

cassiesmom
04-01-2014, 01:00 AM
Annnnnnd... it's the first day of the 2014 season, and the Cubs have already lost. (sigh) Please, Cubs, I don't want to go through another heartbreaking season.

On the other side of town ... It's the first day of the 2014 season! The weather cooperated for Opening Day, and the White Sox won :) Keep it up, Sox!