PDA

View Full Version : Front Street Dog shelter

Lady's Human
03-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Just spent some quality time at teh Front Street Dog Shelter in Binghamton.

Kudos to the staff there, I saw them dealing with a rather difficult situation, and they handled it very well.

We also helped socialize a couple dogs..........

Queen of Poop
03-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Sounds like a good thing to do to help heal a broken heart. :)

Karen
03-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Sounds like a good place. Always nice to know a good shelter around ...

Lady's Human
03-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Rocky isn't up on their web page as an adoptable pet, but if anyone's looking for a Lhasa mix, he's a sweetheart, and a great pair of ears to scritch (if you can get him to hold still long enough to do it!)

pomtzu
03-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Awww - I love Lhasas. I once had 3 of them - yes - all at the same time! I hope Rocky gets a good home!

Karen
03-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Hmm, Aunt Shirley used to drive to Maryland - so Binghamton to Delaware should be doable, too, let's see .... Ellie, less than 5 hours and Buddy could be yours ...

pomtzu
03-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Hmm, Aunt Shirley used to drive to Maryland - so Binghamton to Delaware should be doable, too, let's see .... Ellie, less than 5 hours and Buddy could be yours ...

Ellie would approve, but I don't think Miss Myndi would! :(

Lady'sOtherHuman
03-15-2013, 06:21 PM
We also helped socialize a couple dogs..........

Yeah, they socialized one dog so much that guess who I'm going to meet tomorrow!

http://photos.petfinder.com/photos/US/NY/NY106/25493911/NY106.25493911-1-x.jpg

They called me at work to tell me they were playing with her and then when they went to lunch they called me again and asked me when I could come meet her.

Queen of Poop
03-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Look at that smile!!! Good luck with the meeting!

Lady'sOtherHuman
03-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Not only am I going to meet this happy girl but they tried to butter me up by buying a cereal they knew I would like.

Queen of Poop
03-15-2013, 06:40 PM
I look forward to the post meeting announcement!:D:D

phesina
03-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Yeah, they socialized one dog so much that guess who I'm going to meet tomorrow!

http://photos.petfinder.com/photos/US/NY/NY106/25493911/NY106.25493911-1-x.jpg

They called me at work to tell me they were playing with her and then when they went to lunch they called me again and asked me when I could come meet her.

Oh, what a sweet, adorable face that is!!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
03-16-2013, 02:44 AM
I hope that everything goes well. She looks like a real sweetheart.:)

Lady's Human
03-16-2013, 05:24 AM
Both kids also had their rooms cleaned and vacuumed in about 30 minutes yesterday. I think they're trying to send Mom a message.

pomtzu
03-16-2013, 06:09 AM
WOW!!! - look at that smile. I'll bet she'd never stop smiling if she had a little brother too - like Rocky! He's little - won't take up much room or eat a lot, and would be a great lap warmer in the cold weather. Don't you agree????? - hint-hint. And besides that - PT needs a Lhasa pup. ;)

Lady's Human
03-16-2013, 07:43 AM
Unfortunately, that just wouldn't be in the cards. The one KNOWN issue she has is toy aggression with other dogs. (Not furkids, just other canines).

She's excellent with kids, when they were playing outside she immediately backed off of whatever frisbee or ball the kids were playing with her with.

sasvermont
03-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Great news. I love that you are going to have another doggie in your house. There is nothing like it. I assume the new pup has been kitty tested? Can't wait for the new photos and stories.

So sorry to hear about Lady. She was loved, for sure.

Don't forget to keep us posted. You know how we all love pictures!

Sas:)

Lady's Human
03-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Okay, for starters THIS WAS NOT PLANNED!

I just wanted to scritch some ears.

That's all I wanted.

LOH has passed her audition.

Angel comes home Friday. She hasn't been Kitty tested, but both cats have their claws and more vertical than Angel has. Her name will be Angel, not Angel eyes, because it fits with the progression of dog names.

Gracie was a klutz, Lady wasn't a Lady....and now Angel, because while she has a sweet smile, has a somewhat bent halo.

pomtzu
03-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Okay, for starters THIS WAS NOT PLANNED!

It never is - that's the beauty of it. :)

And that's why I couldn't go near a shelter or the Petsmart adoption center after I lost Sparky! Besides, Miss Myndi would NOT have approved.

Congrats. May Angel have many happy and healthy years in your care. :love:

cassiesmom
03-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Hello, Angel! It is very nice to meet you this afternoon! I like your happy face! Do you like to receive petting? There is this place called Thursdays that I visit sometimes where I can be with friends, drink tea or coffee (or sometimes something stronger) and give petting and lovies. (Well, virtual petting and lovies anyway) I am sure your young humans will help you play with toys, serve you a yummy treat and maybe take walks around the block or longer! Welcome to PT!!!!!

Lilith Cherry
03-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Welcome to PT Angel! Your "bent halo" will just add a little character, I am sure. You couldn't have found a more loving home so enjoy it!

Queen of Poop
03-17-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm very happy you're giving Angel a new home. I know she'll be much loved. She's a beautiful girl, even if her halo has a bit of a tilt. I look forward to meeting her on Thursdays. :love::love::love:

Lady's Human
03-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Don't know if she'll be a couch cuddler, but I'm sure with a little training she'll do just fine.

The big problem with getting a shelter dog is sorting out potential from the kennel behavior. After a session outside with the kids, she calmed down enough to actually sit and accept some scritches, to there is the potential.

Queen of Poop
03-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Don't know if she'll be a couch cuddler, but I'm sure with a little training she'll do just fine.

The big problem with getting a shelter dog is sorting out potential from the kennel behavior. After a session outside with the kids, she calmed down enough to actually sit and accept some scritches, to there is the potential.

Well then, guess I'll have to stop by Thursdays with my sneakers on, grab Angels leash and take her along for my 10 km run!

Lady's Human
03-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Well then, guess I'll have to stop by Thursdays with my sneakers on, grab Angels leash and take her along for my 10 km run!

That sounds like it would be right up Angel's alley!

lolli94
03-17-2013, 03:08 PM
So sorry to hear of the loss of Lady, but congratulations on your beautiful new addition!:)

chocolatepuppy
03-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Welcome home Angel!:love:

luvofallhorses
03-19-2013, 10:21 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss of Lady. Angel is adorable and I am sure she will help you heal. :love:

Alysser
03-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Wait, did I read this correctly?? You adopted the Pitty or the Llasa?? Either way, CONGRATULATIONS!! :D How exciting and welcome to PT, Angel!

Karen
03-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Angel is not a pittie, she is a Boxer/Bulldog mix, and she's not home quite yet, but a work in progress! The Lhasa mix was just a "therapy" visit - he's smaller than Patch (resident rambunctious kitty at the house) and so not a good match for that house!

Lady's Human
03-20-2013, 04:48 PM
We're going to owe the shelter $100 in dog toys at this point. We're running a 2 toy per visit average.

Friday should be......interesting. :p

Alysser
03-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Angel is not a pittie, she is a Boxer/Bulldog mix, and she's not home quite yet, but a work in progress! The Lhasa mix was just a "therapy" visit - he's smaller than Patch (resident rambunctious kitty at the house) and so not a good match for that house!

Ah, okay! For a quick glance this morning she looked like a Pitty but now I see, she definitely looks like a Boxer mix. She has quite the smile I must say! :D

Lady'sOtherHuman
03-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Thought there should be an update, Angel is now home and apparently doing quite well. Pics and further updates to follow.

Lady'sOtherHuman
03-22-2013, 03:16 PM
this was the first report I received from LH while I was at work, after he got her home,

"Good news? I told her no and she left Trill alone, dropped the toys she scavenged from Axel's room, etc.

She has good table manners (no, I didn't share much beyond a couple smidgens of ham)

The bad news? She got to Trill before I could intercept. Trill is fine, Angel's nose got whacked, and trill is currently hiding in MJ's room.

Patch arched the entire cat and disappeared into the laundry room."

The reaction from the cats was not unexpected especially from the old girl Trillian. Patch's reaction just creates an interesting visual.

krazyaboutkatz
03-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Welcome home Angel!!!:) I'm sure that you'll get used to the other furkids soon and will fit in well in your wonderful new loving forever home.:) I look forward to seeing new pictures soon.:)

Lady's Human
03-24-2013, 06:57 AM
The really nice thing about spending the time this week at teh shelter is seeing the other puppies who were adopted, including one elderly girl who spent about 48 hours there before someone took her home.

cassiesmom
03-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Thought there should be an update, Angel is now home and apparently doing quite well. Pics and further updates to follow.

Question for Lady's Humans - how old is Angel, is she a puppy? I'm sure you have answered this question somewhere and I just missed it. Yay, Angel in your new home! :D

Karen
03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Question for Lady's Humans - how old is Angel, is she a puppy? I'm sure you have answered this question somewhere and I just missed it. Yay, Angel in your new home! :D

The vet who spayed Angel a months ago estimated her age at 7 months, but the shelter people told LH she was a year to a year and a half old, so the answer is - we don't know whether she's done growing or not, but she is still very much a puppy in terms of energy!