PDA

View Full Version : Televisions

Louie and me
03-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Just curious. How many televisions do you have in your home?
We just have one. I mostly have it to myself except when DH comes home and then I just pass him the remote. Life's easier that way.

Taz_Zoee
03-13-2013, 09:20 AM
We have three that we use often and one in the spare room that isn't even hooked up right now.
We have the big screen (82") in the living room, a smaller one in the studio/kitchen area and "mine" back in the bedroom.

pomtzu
03-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Four. :eek: Three are hooked up to cable - my bedroom, family room, living room. The one in my grandson's room doesn't have cable hookup and he uses that for games and movies.

ETA: Correction - there are actually 5. It's an old one - you know - the ones that have a picture tube and weigh a ton!!! :eek: It's still in good working order and is in the storage room. We keep it around - just in case. :D

Karen
03-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Just one!

caseysmom
03-13-2013, 02:37 PM
We just bought a new HD for the family room so I have a huge TV in my room and the 32 inch one I need to move somewhere.

We also have tv's in both bedrooms from when the kids lived at home and one in the game room, all three of those are disconnected, I think we have another one in the junk room too :rolleyes:

My husband cannot be home and not have a tv or two on

Taz_Zoee
03-13-2013, 03:00 PM
My husband cannot be home and not have a tv or two on

This is the same with my boyfriend! We were up in Tahoe last month and our friends turned the TV off while I was picking Bruce up from the ski resort. When we got back to the condo he asked "Why isn't the TV on? What's wrong with you people?" Of course I had been watching Too Cute ALL day long!

But if he doesn't have the TV on he will have pandora music on instead. I just like the quiet sometimes.

pomtzu
03-13-2013, 03:48 PM
I just like the quiet sometimes.

I HATE it! Someday I will experience eternal silence, so until then, I want to hear all that I can! :D There's always a t.v. on when I'm home, and I can't go to sleep at night without mine on either. I might have my back to it and not watching it, but I HEAR it. :p

sorry - a little off topic

Randi
03-13-2013, 04:23 PM
I just have one, and I'm very selective with what I watch.

Moesha
03-13-2013, 04:45 PM
It's just me here, and I have 2. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. Some evenings the tv doesn't come on until I turn QVC on in the bedroom to help me fall asleep. My sister and her husband and another married friend each only have 1 tv in their respective homes. I often comment that I don't know how they can stand that, especially since I know the crazy things the husbands like to watch.

DJFyrewolf36
03-13-2013, 05:30 PM
We only have one and I'm using it as a computer monitor. We do have a projector too but the only thing we watch is Netflix, lol.

Queen of Poop
03-13-2013, 07:26 PM
I have two. The one in the living room goes on when I get up and stays on all day till I go to bed. I can't stand to hear other people in the halls, etc. The one in the bedroom is for when kitties and I want to snuggle and watch movies, it doesn't have cable but is connected to the DVD player.

Karen
03-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Out of curiosity, for those of you who keep the TV on for the noise factor, have you considered just keeping a radio playing instead? I bet it would save you a TON in terms of electricity usage!

A caveat: Dad is a stationary engineer (retired) - in other words, one of the people who keeps power plants going. So we were raised to consider electricity usage, and conserving when we could!

Freedom
03-13-2013, 09:06 PM
I have just one TV in the house.

I do like some 'noise,' and usually am happy with the radio on -- better yet, the CDs, no commercials! (No stupid DJ jokes, either, ha haa).

Roxyluvsme13
03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Working TVs, just 1. Non-working 2 or 3. lol

Catty1
03-13-2013, 10:04 PM
I have one TV but no TV service. I have a VCR (remember those?) and a DVD player hooked up to it.

I like listening to radio - I actually have a stereo component system and still need to figure out how to get the radio sound happening. CDs - no problem. Radio - the volume levels move so there is sound, but it's not reaching the speakers!

Randi
03-14-2013, 04:08 AM
Out of curiosity, for those of you who keep the TV on for the noise factor, have you considered just keeping a radio playing instead? I bet it would save you a TON in terms of electricity usage!
That's a good point! I make sure to turn off lights when I'm not in a room, and I even turn off the TV during the night.

If I'm not on my computer for half an hour, I put it on "sleep", and if I'm away for longer, I shut down.

pomtzu
03-14-2013, 05:47 AM

Somehow and for some reason, the radio just doesn't cut it.

The one t.v. that I have on most of the day is in the living room on the wall opposite my computer, so if I'm on the computer, I'm always turning around to see what's going on with the t.v. I don't have it only for noise - I watch it too! As for the one in my bedroom - when I go to bed I set the timer - usually for 2 hours - so it shuts off and doesn't run all night.

chocolatepuppy
03-14-2013, 08:26 AM
I have a tv in the livingroom and one in the bedroom. I seldom watch tv, except when I go to bed and then I turn the timer on to shut it off.

Having had surgery recently and being nearly bedridden the first week I've had my fill of Animal Planet!:D Still turn it on in the evening and lay around in bed but then I'm not back to work yet.;)

As for the noise factor, I work in a noisy factory so when I get home from work, silence is golden some days!

Louie and me
03-14-2013, 10:35 AM
I rarely put the TV on during the day but if the weather is bad and I am housebound I put it on for company. Even if I am not in the room the voices keep me company. Some how the radio doesn't cut it for me except when I am driving.

krazyaboutkatz
03-14-2013, 12:16 PM
I have two tv's. I only turn them on after I get home from work at night during the week. I have one in my livingroom and one in my bedroom. When I had a roommate in the other bedroom they also had a hook up for a tv.

phesina
03-14-2013, 01:59 PM
I have one TV, a big huge analog one that I got from my brother's mother-in-law after she went into assisted living. (I used to have a small one.) I have a digital converter box so it can get in today's digital-only signals.

I don't have cable or Uverse or Xfinity or any of those TV services that cost money, so all I have access to are the broadcast networks. I have an antenna on top of the TV to catch those signals, but the reception is really lousy in my building. I get maybe 4 stations, but whenever I switch from one to another the reception for the new one is terrible and I have to keep moving the antenna around to try and get it right and then find I haven't gotten it that time, and it doesn't stay the same for one station over time, so now I just leave it on one station, channel 4 (NBC affiliate).. So I pretty much just have the one TV station there!

I just have it on when the news is on, and I'm usually doing other things then but can pick up on if there's something they're talking about that I want to pay more attention to (e.g., the morning weather forecast). I don't really have any interest in any of the other regular shows. The last time I had it on for something else was the Super Bowl.

The rest of the time I have music on. Usually the radio, usually tuned to the CBC (Canadian public network) station in Windsor. They have a nice selection of different kinds of music shows all day long.

WeasleyLover
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Five. One in my room, one in my sister's room, one in the living room, one in my parent's room, and one on the deck. (And I think we have an extra in the garage....XD)

cloverfdx
03-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Just one and I despise it. If I am home alone it does not get turned on. If I am home with company and it is on it makes me almost postal :o. Give me sweet sweet music any day.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-15-2013, 02:10 PM
I have two. One in the living room and one in my bedroom. They both havd dvd players. I am spending more time in the bedroom thanks to my advancing arthritis so enjoy that one a lot. I use them for company more than anything.

kaycountrygal
03-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Let's see.... Total of 7. I do not have cable/dish. I use rooftop antenna and rabbit ears.

2 in den I have a 42" and 21" in den. Computer is in den & I can watch tv if I want while on comp..
1 in dining room
1 in kitchen
1 in my bedroom
1 in bathroom
1 in living room (not hooked up)

Alysser
03-15-2013, 04:48 PM
We have 4, but will soon have 5 again when my sister moves back in after her college graduation. I have my own but it's usually never on. I tend to not watch TV and when I do, it's usually taped on the DVR or I watch it online, as I don't have time NORMALLY. Now that it's spring break, I'll probably have even less time with all the working and hiking I'll be doing! Until last Christmas I had a 7 year old TV in my room, my brother gave me his mint condition (3 year old!) one that he never used so it was knew to me! I never saw a need for a new one as I rarely rarely watch TV

My parents sleep with their television on, I really don't understand that one. I can't sleep with any chronic noise, personally!

We don't leave them on at all hours of the day though, when no one's watching them, they're off!

david p
03-22-2013, 08:14 AM
There are two TVs in our room at Concordia. Mine is a nice 42" sony bravia which is hooked up with two dvd players (one a recorder) and a vcr with a ton of remotes!. My roommate, Barry, has a 19" unsure of make and we use them every day.

Felicia's Mom
03-22-2013, 11:19 AM
I haven't had a tv for 15+ years.

redbird
03-22-2013, 12:26 PM
I have two, one in the living room and one in the bedroom.

RICHARD
03-22-2013, 12:40 PM
I have one TV but no TV service. I have a VCR (remember those?) and a DVD player hooked up to it.

I like listening to radio - I actually have a stereo component system and still need to figure out how to get the radio sound happening. CDs - no problem. Radio - the volume levels move so there is sound, but it's not reaching the speakers!

Do you have a separate CD player? If you do.....Check the "output.speaker" switch on the front of the system/tuner.

Or the button on the remote.

(I frigging hate the stereos NO buttons on the main unit.)

I have a CD/DVD player hooked up to a TV with a soundbar.

I can only play CDs with the TV on because the sound is routed thru the TV set!

Varga
03-23-2013, 06:02 AM
We only have one in the living room and I plan for it to stay that way. It doesn't run that much since neither my husband or I are fond of it running unless we are actively watching and I for sure do not like background noise. To be honest I would be fine with no TV as long as I have internet, haha.

RICHARD
03-23-2013, 08:44 AM
I forgot to say something about radio........

I usually listen to classic rock on the air, but with the playlists pre programmed, you hear the same songs time after time. Doris turned me on to National Public Radio and I really do enjoy the Prairie Home Companion; Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me and I heard a new program I had never heard before, Says You!

PHC is a funny, creative show and the other two are talk/game shows - a break from the somber tone that usually is broadcast.

NPR does have a little something for everyone - news, talk and silliness.

Always thought NPR was for boring people, So I grew up to be boring - but a little smarter for listening!

sparks19
03-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Technically we have three. One in our room that isn't hooked up to anything lol. We used to have the DVD player hooked up to it for days when Hannah wasn't feeling well or was tired and wanted to snuggle in our bed with a movie. So now it's just a TV that collects dust lol.

One in Hannah's room that is hooked up to DVD and VHS player but no cable. Again for those times where she's not feeling well or is just tired and wants to snuggle in bed with a movie.

Then we have our main TV in the living room that we use.

Kfamr
03-23-2013, 09:03 AM
I have one. Its not hooked up to anything but a VCR. I have an amazing stereo system though. ;)

Steve Arnold
03-23-2013, 09:47 AM
First of all, really and truly, I'm not much of a TV watcher. I have basic cable only, and there are very few things I actually watch. I do, however run lots of DVDs, and so that's mostly what my four TVs are used for.

Yeah, four, with only one person in the house. One in the basement, one in the bedroom, one in the kitchen, and one in the library. The last one hardly ever gets used, it's not hooked up to cable. The kitchen one gets the most use, as i try to multi-task when I do watch TV, doing dishes or folding laundry or something like that.

I grew up in a small house where of necessity the TV was always right next to the piano. So whenever I wanted to watch TV, my brother was practicing the piano. When I wanted to practice the piano, he was watching TV. So I made a vow to myself that as an adult, I would never allow the piano and the TV to be in the same room. Of course that doesn't matter when you live alone, but I still hold fast to my refusal to ever put a TV in the living room.