PDA

View Full Version : Kitten in sewer - how to trap?

hellostranger
12-06-2002, 07:15 PM
Hello! I've been a lurker here for several months and you all seem like wonderful cat people. :) I have a question about how to trap a feral kitten....I saw her this evening when I came out of a restaurant. She was sitting in the snow next to the storm sewer and she couldn't be more than 3-4 months old. I tried to get close to her but she darted right into the sewer. I went next door to the supermarket and bought her two cans of catfood and opened them right next to the sewer. I waited until she came out to eat and then crouched down a few feet away and talked to her while she ate the first can and a half. I tried again to get near enough to pick her up, but she ran right back into the sewer. It's breaking my heart to think of her out there in the sewer tonight...I'll go back in the morning with more food, but I was hoping you might have some advice about how to trap her, since I don't think she's going to let me get near her anytime soon. What kind of a trap should I use?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

sasvermont
12-06-2002, 08:25 PM
You'll need to borrow or buy a live trap and set it. Then, make fast arrangements to take the kitty to the Vet....to be spayed, altered and checked from head to toe. Do you want to keep it? That is another list of instructions!

Keep us posted.

Your heart is certainly in the right place!

:cool:

AmberLee
12-06-2002, 09:59 PM
Yes, good luck.

Around here you can be put on a waiting list for a live animal trap or can buy them at a couple of the larger hardware stores. You might want to call your local Humane Society and see if they loan the traps/rent traps... Different communities handle them differently. Is there an animal rescue group in your community?

Keep us posted please.

hellostranger
12-07-2002, 05:06 PM
Thanks for your posts! :) I hadn't thought of hardware stores or the humane society as a source for traps. I did try two pet stores today without any luck...tomorrow I'll try the hardware stores.

I went by to see the kitty twice today and left two cans of food each time. I could hear her rustling around in the leaves at the bottom of the sewer (especially when I called "kitty kitty") and once she poked her head out to look at me, but she wouldn't come out to eat while I was anywhere near the sewer. I hid behind a parked car for a while and watched her eat one of the cans of food.

If I can manage to trap her and get her to the vet, I guess then I'll make a decision about what to do with her. I'm hoping I'll be able to work with her enough to find her a home because she seems awfully little for spay-release.

Thanks again! You guys are great!

lizbud
12-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Hi and welcome to Pet Talk.

I wish you the best of luck with trapping this little one.
Hope it's not near a busy street or anything.The ideal
situation would be if you were in a position to watch the
trap after it's baited & be there to remove the cat trap & all
right away. Please let us know how it goes. Bless you for
being so kind.

mugsy
12-07-2002, 08:56 PM
Just a reiteration. Our Animal Control Office rents live traps and if I'm not mistaken so does the local SPCA. They would also probably be a good source as to what to put inside to entice the poor thing into the trap. Good luck!

moosmom
12-07-2002, 10:57 PM
Hellostranger,

Word of caution from a veteran animal rescuer when handling the kitten once it's trapped...USE GLOVES!!! I got bit about a month ago by a stray cat trying to rescue her with my bare hands. It wasn't her fault but my stupidity. She was only defending herself. As a result, she ripped open my pinky finger. Animal bites are very serious and get infect very quickly. It only took mine 24 hours to get bad. Good luck and keep us posted. Your heart is DEFINITELY in the right place.

ownerof3dogs
12-07-2002, 11:28 PM
Also check for traps at your local animal Hospitals. I now the Hopstital I work at lends it out for free!

Lillycat
12-08-2002, 08:34 AM
please keep us posted on the kitty rescue.....