PDA

View Full Version : Make me choose, you're gonna loose!

Queen of Poop
03-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Unbelievable!!

Dated this guy for a while. We broke up in January. Now he's texting me and wants to get back together. His condition, I give up Cali and Diego!!! Yes, you read that correctly - he wants me to give up my cats for HIM!

And my response to this - hit the road Jack, don't ya look back!

There is NO WAY in this world I'd give up my cats for ANYONE!!!!! See ya.

Karen
03-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Exactly! Anyone who wants you to give up beloved pets is just NOT worth it!

pomtzu
03-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Good for you, Gayle. Sounds like this guy has an overinflated ego - and that's just for starters. :eek: No man would be worth giving up my furkids for - and I do mean NONE & NEVER......:mad:

Catty1
03-04-2013, 11:16 AM
"Deal! As long as we get YOU neutered!" What an idiot!:rolleyes:

kuhio98
03-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Stick to your guns. From personal experience, these people who make such demands on you are controlling and insecure.
There will always be something they want you to change about yourself to prove that you love them. But, they are so insecure that they never stop trying to make you prove it.

Like my Grandma used to say. "If you settle for what you've got, you deserve what you get."

Freedom
03-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Clearly he is not an animal person, and that means not a good match anyhow! Not missing a thing Gayle. GOOD FOR YOU!

Lady's Human
03-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Let's see....

Idiot or cats...

Idiot or cats.....

Tough choice!:p

momoffuzzyfaces
03-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Yep, that would not even be worth considering for me. It would be like: don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. :love: I can't help wonder if he thinks HE is made of gold or something to be worth giving up loving animals for???? :rolleyes:

Jessika
03-04-2013, 04:41 PM
It's not that I wouldn't give up my pets for someone, but rather the fact that if someone doesn't love or appreciate pets like I do then we just aren't compatible. Because my pets are so important to me... if they aren't important to my significant other, it would be a really rough relationship.

Jamie is IN LOVE with my boyfriend... and he does more stuff with her than I ever did!!!!! In fact, I came home and went to let her out of her crate... not there. She's his date at work today.

I think you made the right choice. Starting out a relationship (or a second chance at a relationship) with an ultimatum is NEVER a good sign, whether it involve pets or not.

Pinot's Mom
03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Let's see....

Idiot or cats...

Idiot or cats.....

Tough choice!:p

'zactly. ;)

Karen
03-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Anyone who married into our family knew from the outset that the dog (whichever was at my folk's house at the time) was a member of the family, and there was no questioning that. Anyone who ever suggested otherwise didn't get very in a relationship with any of us!

smokey the elder
03-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Really?! What a grade-A, five-star, galactic class, platinum-plated JERK!!

happylabs
03-05-2013, 09:30 AM
You made the right choice. I honestly cannot see myself giving up my pets for someone else.

robinh
03-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't even know what to say to this. Give up your cats?!? The beautiful family members who stood by you at your lowest and highest points.....don't know you that well, but I'm thinking you're saying "NOT"!!!!

Queen of Poop
03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the support everyone. Although I was pretty certain how that would turn out.

I am still appalled that he would even suggest such a thing. And no, he is not an animal person in the slightest. But he never truly expressed a problem with my cats, just their hair. Anyways I've not heard a peep from him since I told him "ABSOULTELY NOT" to his ridiculous suggestion that I rid myself of my cats to be with him. Thing is, now he's scuttled any attempts to "take it back" or to have any sort of relationship with me because now I don't trust him around my kitties. They are my world, they saw me thru the darkest of times, they are my true friends, family and furkids. No one messes with my kitties!!! So bye, bye dumb a$$. Not once did I have issues with his 2 skin children.

Sheesh, I sure pick the winners!

Asiel
03-05-2013, 02:32 PM
No need to wonder where my support lies-- I was stunned when I read this jerk wanted you to give up your cats for him. No way would I EVER give up any pet for anyone . People also know that they're more than welcome in our house BUT this is my dog's home also, my dogs get first dibs no matter who the guests are as long as they are behaving .

Taz_Zoee
03-05-2013, 05:53 PM
I actually just laughed when I read what he said to you. Really? As others said, he obviously doesn't know YOU.

wolf_Q
03-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Geez, yeah definitely don't waste your time on that. I told my hubby long ago that if he asked me to choose him or the dogs I'd choose the dogs....not because I love the dogs more than him but because if he loved me he'd know that getting rid of the dogs is not something I could ever do, and something no one that loved me would try to make me do. That would be like making me choose between being myself and not being myself, having the dogs is a part of who I am. Needless to say he has not and never will make me choose (and no he never said he was going to make me choose or anything like that I just warned him ahead of time to not try because he would lose lol- and I love him dearly).

Alysser
03-05-2013, 09:07 PM
I agree with Jessika. I couldn't be in a relationship with someone who didn't get that I am a package deal or didn't like my dogs. That is a part of you, as a pet lover, and if they can't see that, they don't really love you. My ex seemed to get it, but it still didn't work out. :rolleyes:

ANYWAY, I am glad you said NO to this jerk!! He sounds extremely controlling. Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

chocolatepuppy
03-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Thing is, now he's scuttled any attempts to "take it back" or to have any sort of relationship with me because now I don't trust him around my kitties.
Take that very seriously after some of the stuff I've read online that people do to a boy/girl friends pets to get rid of them.:(

My furkids come first. Might never have a man again, so be it. He'd have to prove himself to be a true animal lover!;)

smokey the elder
03-06-2013, 07:56 AM
People who say "your animals or me" are just creeps.

krazyaboutkatz
03-06-2013, 12:06 PM
I would never give up my cats for anyone. If I was dating someone, one of my first questions would be do you like cats? I wouldn't want to waste my time with someone who didn't.

Misty_Pearl
03-09-2013, 08:50 PM
I think the first conversation I had with my husband was if he liked animals. His response was that he liked dogs and horses. He now has dogs and cats and guinea pigs and at one time, a raccoon. He has loved them all. We met online and had his answer to my first question to him been that he didn't like animals, the relationship would have ended way before it began. My animals have always been my first priority. Always. I have never been in a relationship with anyone who didn't like animals.

Freedom
03-09-2013, 09:29 PM
So, I'm dealing with a sort of related issue.

I have 13 pets -- plus fish. As I meet men, or read about them online, I start to wonder about the ones who have dogs and cats - especially the guy who had a total of 4. Really? Am I going to pursue this relationship, see how it goes, with the possibility that we may have to blend into one household with 17 pets? Yes I DID have 15 pets for over 2 years, it was chaos. It was MY chaos and I was very VERY fortunate everyone got along.

At this point in time, do I have to look for a guy who loves animals and doesn't have any pets?? I get a headache thinking bout it!

Sorry Gayle, probably doesn't belong in your thread, but you seem comfortable with how you handled the issue you had.

Misty_Pearl
03-09-2013, 10:36 PM
So, I'm dealing with a sort of related issue.

I have 13 pets -- plus fish. As I meet men, or read about them online, I start to wonder about the ones who have dogs and cats - especially the guy who had a total of 4. Really? Am I going to pursue this relationship, see how it goes, with the possibility that we may have to blend into one household with 17 pets? Yes I DID have 15 pets for over 2 years, it was chaos. It was MY chaos and I was very VERY fortunate everyone got along.

At this point in time, do I have to look for a guy who loves animals and doesn't have any pets?? I get a headache thinking bout it!

Sorry Gayle, probably doesn't belong in your thread, but you seem comfortable with how you handled the issue you had.

I was lucky and my hubby loves animals but didn't have any when I met him. Of course at one time we have had upwards of your numbers, Freedom. Currently we are down to 5 dogs, 1 cat (mothers), and 3 guinea pigs in the house...

Queen of Poop
03-10-2013, 02:52 PM
To give a little more detail as to why this was such a surprise. He knew I had cats at the start. I knew he didn't like the hair so I had lots of lint rollers. I also advised early on that if he made me choose my cats would win every time. He pet them. He bought them toys for Christmas. I thought things were pretty good. Then we broke up, then came the shocking request.

Karen
03-10-2013, 08:32 PM
This thread makes me think of Paul's first encounter with my family ... as soon as he sat on the living room couch, Gracie (3/4 Great Dane) joyfully covered his face with kisses, which he endured patiently, until I told her to stop just to give him a break! She then proceeded to LEAN on him, which turned into the very first thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?980)ever on Pet Talk many years later!

caseysmom
03-11-2013, 02:41 PM
This thread makes me think of Paul's first encounter with my family ... as soon as he sat on the living room couch, Gracie (3/4 Great Dane) joyfully covered his face with kisses, which he endured patiently, until I told her to stop just to give him a break! She then proceeded to LEAN on him, which turned into the very first thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?980)ever on Pet Talk many years later!

That is a sweet story!

Medusa
03-12-2013, 05:36 PM
If he's that demanding after dating only a few months, imagine what he would be like as a partner. Of course you made the right choice. How could he expect that you would give up your furkids? Ridiculous!