PDA

View Full Version : help

primabella
12-06-2002, 03:38 PM
for the past two days, my bird has been making weird chirping noises. not the normal kind, it sounds kind of like a motor, but not loud. i don't know how to explain it. is there any reason to be concerned. my mom also told me she noticed earlier today that he was hurt in his leg because he couldn't turn around and he was having trouble putting it on the perch. i checked up on him after school today and he was fine. i'm thinking maybe he was chirping weird like that maybe because he was in pain. any suggestions? thanks :)

( he seems okay now. i was playing with him and he was spinning and hopping around like normal :))

Cookiebaker
12-06-2002, 04:20 PM
What breed is your bird?? In my experience, when my birds were in pain/sick they would get all fluffy. They would sit with their eyes closed and all the feathers would be puffed around the face. It may depend on the breed, but that is my experience with cockatiels and parakeets. Birds *usually* chirp only if they are happy/content/playful. I hope your birdie is OK!! What is his name??

Another thing that I just thought of is to watch their poop. (YUK) Any change in consistency or frequency is a big indicator. Hope this helps!

primabella
12-06-2002, 08:40 PM
thanks cookiebaker!

rocket is a dark blue parakeet. he's going to be 2 years old dec.10. i really hope he's okay. his head gets fluffed up sometimes and he fluffs up usually when he's cold. we put the blanket on them when this happens and they seem okay. i'll check their poop daily to see if there's any change. thansk a lot :D

ps - my female is name sky and is a twin to your late azure. isn't it a beautiful color? thanks for your help :)

popcornbird
12-07-2002, 01:29 AM
From my experience, ill/hurt birds don't make a sound and look depressed, fluffed, and sleepy. Make sure his droppings are normal. He may have gotten a littel "ouchie" and hopefully he'll be alright. Keep us updated on how he's doing. :)

primabella
12-07-2002, 08:42 AM
thanks popcornbird :) i'll keep an eye on him. his droppings seem normal though.

primabella
12-07-2002, 11:41 AM
okay i have a question that might be a little gross (its about my birds droppings)
what color should it normally be? i found some that was green and white...is this normal? i'm getting worried now..thanks for any help

popcornbird
12-09-2002, 03:46 PM
Its supposed to be dark greenish with white in the middle. I depends on what they eat though. My birds eat veggies a lot, so their droppings are brighter green when they after they eat veggies. From what you described, it doesn't seem to be something concerned about, but please elaborate. :)

primabella
12-10-2002, 03:52 PM
well, its exactly how you described actually. that's a relief. theirs dark-green on the outside with white in the middle. we don't actually feed them veggies, but the seeds we buy have carrot and other ... uh ... healthy food, i guess you could call it :) thanks a lot. they seem fine now..:D