PDA

View Full Version : A few Cuban vacation pics

Glacier
02-19-2013, 01:06 PM
We got home last Monday from a week in Cayo Coco, Cuba.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/cayo%20coco%202013/428720aa-48a1-4e2a-842d-ac83392d201c_zps5f3c2a27.jpg
Resort travel is not our style, but it is my sister's and she planned this trip! It's not something we will be doing again soon! The resort was lovely though and I did quickly get used to having a cute little Cuban dude bring me drinks on the beach and make my morning cappucino!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/cayo%20coco%202013/54ae68e7-a515-4cd8-ba24-2f65fe8cee48_zpsed529be1.jpg
Resorts aren't my thing, but I do adore a good beach! No snow, 25C everyday! I like that alot!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/cayo%20coco%202013/ab5818b1-444b-446f-b1a6-90d18b474ccb_zps07ae8dad.jpg
My new underwater camera worked very well. We did quite a bit of snorkelling. I was suprised at how healthy the reef was even right in front of our hotel. Cayo Coco is nothing except resorts, but they must be doing something right to preserve the reef. It wasn't Roatan quality snorkelling, but it was much better than on the side of Cuba!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/cayo%20coco%202013/41b20c06-103d-44dc-a846-cc3cd3b1a271_zpsee87ec2a.jpg
We rented a taxi one day to take us to the main island and a small city there. There is no Cuban town on Cayo Coco. It's just resorts. Moron is where most of the resort workers live and commute from every day. It's a bustling small city and was fun to explore. Old cars are everywhere in Cuba, not just in Havana.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/cayo%20coco%202013/750e0e87-2089-4307-ad71-627d4f0bc658_zps56b41386.jpg
Unfortunately, we spent some time here... an international clinic. Stuart developed pnuemonia early in the trip. Fortunately, Cuba has a good medical system and we never leave home without travel insurance! He received excellent care and was able to still enjoy the trip in between twice daily nursing visits!

I left the day after we go back for Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. I'd have much rather stayed in Cuba!

Lady's Human
02-19-2013, 01:30 PM
That temp change is enough to shatter any internal thermometer you have. LOL

Karen
02-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Sounds like a wonderful trip, and just what you needed to break up the Yukon winter!

pomtzu
02-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Glad you had a good time in spite of a pesty intrusion like pneumonia. Just be thankful you weren't on that Carnival Cruise Line ship - the trip from (or to) hell. :eek:

I love that picture of the beach - the water is so blue and clear. I live on the Atlantic, but too far north to have beautiful blue water like that, and have to travel a lot further south to see it. That's about the only thing I really like about Florida!

Where do your travels take you next?

Glacier
02-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Where do your travels take you next?

We don't have anything scheduled right now. Everything as always depends on dogsitters and Stuart's work schedule! He'll be back in camp soon for the season! The list of places I'd like to go gets longer all the time...Nicaragua is high on the list for both of us....Bonaire, Belize, El Salvador, back to Costa Rica, Trinidad, Africa....

We're talking about a quick trip to Maui next winter; Stuart has a mining conference in Vancouver every January. It's an easy flight to Maui from there & I could induldge my sea turtle obsession!

I'm trying to convince my Dad that I wasn't kidding when I offered to pay his airfare to Austraila. My Uncle and his family immigrated there about a decade ago. Dad really wants to see his brother again, but my Mom won't travel that far anymore(she can't physically handle long flights) My Dad just turned 70 and is having some sort of "running out of somedays" crisis! He helped us start the drilling company. We paid back the loan in full, but Dad won't take any interest payment from us. I've offered to pay his airfare and go with him(he's never travelled internationally, except to the US). He does not think I'm serious! My Uncle says we should come in November so that might happen this year or next if I can convince Dad I'm not kidding & find a dogsitter!

May 2014 is our 15th wedding anniversary. We're planning a big trip for that...We're going to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands. There's no way I'm going that far for less than 3 weeks, preferably at least a month! I'm not sure Stuart's schedule will allow us to be gone in May so it might be before the actual anniversary date! If he can't get away for a longer trip, we'll go back to Costa Rica. There's still several places there I need to see and friends I'd like to visit in Tamarindo!

One of my nieces is graduating this summer and is having some difficulty figuring out what to do after high school. We've discussed her coming to live with me for awhile while taking some first year university classes at the local college. The offer is free room and board in return for critter/house sitting services. It is getting easier to find critter sitters as the numbers go down, but having Naomi up here would solve all those issues! She's a good kid who something of a dog whisperer!

Bengalz
02-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks so much for the pics - I love Cuba and want to go back there soon! Sorry that Stuart wasn't feeling well be happy to know the Cuban healthcare system is as good as it is.

Your travel wish list sounds amazing:eek: if you need a baggage handler at any time, let me know - I can be up for it:D.

pomtzu
02-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Tamara - would you like to adopt me as your 2nd mother?? :D

Asiel
02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Cuba has such lovely white beaches. Thanks for sharing the pictures, nice to look at when we're still buried in snow and below temps.

Freckles
02-20-2013, 01:14 PM
It is getting easier to find critter sitters as the numbers go down,
How many dogs do you have now?

Glacier
02-20-2013, 01:28 PM
How many dogs do you have now?

We have 14 dogs right now, all of them at least 11 years old, except Tehya!

Alysser
02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Tamara - would you like to adopt me as your 2nd mother?? :D

I second that!! I'll even live in the yard like one of the dogs, you won't know I am there :D

I am so jealous of your lifestyle, way cool. :cool: I enjoyed all the pictures too! They were great to browse on facebook as well (hope that doesn't sound creepy)! I really like the snorkeling ones as well. Aside from pneumonia it sounds like a great trip...for some reason I thought it was difficult to travel to Cuba, maybe that is only an American thing?

Glacier
02-20-2013, 03:03 PM
I.for some reason I thought it was difficult to travel to Cuba, maybe that is only an American thing?

Only the American gov't restricts travel to Cuba. For Canadians, Cuba is a common destination, easy to get to and relatively cheap! I don't think it's as cheap from Europe, but we've met people from over there on both our trips.

kaycountrygal
02-20-2013, 03:41 PM
I enjoyed your pics and also reading about Cuba and your past and future travels. I am the exact opposite of you in that I stay home most of the time and have travelled very little--dont really want to. That's great that pneumonia didnt ruin your vacation. (I had pneumonia at Christmas and was in hospital for 3 days). I am so glad you had a good trip with future good trips to come.

phesina
02-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Gorgeous photos, from a delightful vacation (aside from the bout with pneumonia)! Thank you for sharing.

Barbara
02-22-2013, 08:31 AM
I'm jealous- we have less than 25 F now and an ice cold wind so I could do very well with a lukewarm sea and a beach and a cocktail ;) Hope Stuart is much better now.