PDA

View Full Version : For all the ladies here that turned 60...

moosmom
02-15-2013, 07:38 AM
I'd like to ask all the ladies here that are 60 how they handled it. By that, I mean psychologically. Would love to hear your experiences.

I had a tough time. I went underground for 2 days. Didn't take phone calls, emails, nothing. My emotions were all over the map. I got a tablet and a wireless router for my bithday and tried setting it up. Two hours of TRYING to understand the technician, I was about ready to hurl it across the room. As I'm cleaning up cat puke from BOTH senior cats while on hold, I finally gave up. That put me over the edge. It was also 3 years ago that I lost my beloved MooShoo. :(:(

The last time I had an episode that bad was my 30th birthday. It snowed 2 feet of snow, I was pregnant and sat in my pjs crying for 3 days straight.

Can't WAIT to see what 65 feels like! NOT!!!:(

david p
02-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Donna, I hated to reveal a lady's true age, so that's why I didn't. I'm so sorry to hear of all that was on your mind that day. My soggy shoulder is still here to lean on.

pomtzu
02-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Bad day - huh Donna??? So sorry, but 60 isn't so bad. Really!!!

Actually for me, I just considered it just one day older than 59 and that much closer to retirement. Little did I know that in 2 years I would be forced into disability retirement - not exactly the way I thought it would go. And it was a lousy day ~~~ I spent it on an Amtrak train headed to FL for the memorial service for my brother who had passed away a couple of weeks earlier. If it hadn't been for that, it would have been just another day.

For me, 30 was a real downer. In a crappy marriage and staying there for the sake of the kids, my father had passed away just the month before, and my mother told me I was getting too old to be wearing my hair long. HUH???? Did I listen to her??? - yup - I cut it and have regretted it ever since. Oh those words of wisdom from Mom!!!!! :rolleyes:

And 65 - piece of cake. A big sigh of relief that I actually made it that far in spite of the odds against it, and I am officially on "regular" S.S. and Medicare, and I no longer have to pay those pricey insurance premiums that I was socked with when paying thru the COBRA program.

I'll be 69 in April, and that idea isn't bothering me in the least. How will I handle 70 next year if I'm still around??? - I don't have a clue, but I do know that I don't even like the sound of it! :(

I'm not really worried about any numerical figure at this stage of the game tho - I'm just thankful when I actually get to see the next one. We sure can't change the process, so why fret over it? I just consider myself fortunate that I'm able to get out of bed every morning (tho stiffly and slowly), and can take care of myself (and Myndi), and go where I want and do what I want. As long as I can do that and not depend on others for my needs, then I'm a happy camper.

Take care Donna - things will look better when the flowers bloom and the grass turns green and the birds sing...:D

lizbud
02-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Here are some good things about getting older.;)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/02/14/what_are_some_of_the_best_qualities_of_elderly_peo ple.html

pomtzu
02-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Here are some good things about getting older.;)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/02/14/what_are_some_of_the_best_qualities_of_elderly_peo ple.html

That was a hoot Liz - thanks for posting.

A few years ago a friend gave me a pretty stained glass sun catcher with flowers, hummingbirds and butterflies on it, and a separate little one that hangs from the bottom which reads - "age improves with wine". ;)

When the kids asked me what I wanted for Christmas last year I told them a "Lifestyle Lift"! Hey - I was dead serious!!! :D

krazyaboutkatz
02-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Donna, I'm sorry to hear that you're having some problems.:( I can relate a little even though I haven't even turned 60 yet. I turned 50 in Dec. and I'm having a hard time dealing with this age. I also started going through peri-menopause so this isn't making things any easier. I hope you'll start feeling better soon.:love:

Steve Arnold
02-15-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm the wrong gender to reply to this thread, but I am the right age, so I'll answer anyway.

I admit that I had some difficulty dealing with this particular age, despite the fact that I'm already retired by choice and loving that. I've downplayed birthdays for years. I get it that there's no rational reason I should feel this way, but I do anyway. I don't put my birthday on Facebook so that I won't get any messages on the day, and I always manage not to let the date slip out when people try to find out.

And I hate the fact that when I look in the mirror I see my grandfather.

At least I can take comfort in that fact that when I directed a play a couple of years ago that had an all teen cast, I was declared by one of the kids in the show to be the "chillest old dude ever." (And I wasn't even 60 yet at the time.)

So I do totally understand how you feel; I don't have any answers, but you're not alone in feeling as you do. But happy birthday, anyway!

Pinot's Mom
02-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Donna, I know you were looking for 60 year olds - I'm not there yet, but I hope it's OK to comment.

I will be 53 this year. The last 'bad' birthday I had (when I beat up on myself) was 26. There were certain things that were, and were not, supposed to have been accomplished at that particular point in time. I went over that mental list until it made me insane, got over it, and decided to never do that again. I have kept that promise to myself. Birthdays are milestones to be appreciated, not excuses to make your life hell. There are enough opportunities for that.

Oh-and the menopause thing, KAK - I had the plumbing yanked and skipped the whole thing. ;)

Donna, please try and enjoy the weekend of your birthday, find someone to hook up the router, clean up the puke, kiss the kitties, savor the memory of your beloved MooShoo and move on.

Love, Maggie & Pinot

phesina
02-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Hi Donna, I'm with Ellie.. 60 isn't so bad. I'm 68, will turn 69 in June.. so 70 is looming over the horizon. (Now THAT seems like a big one to me, to be approached with trepidation!)

Yes, to borrow from Maggie, kiss the kitties, savor the memory of your beloved MooShoo and the others who are waiting at the Bridge, and count your blessings. You have done so much, brought about so much good, dear lady, and have so much more to do!

Happy birthday!

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:,
Pat, Poppy, Elmer, Bob, Sparkler, and Princess Poppaea Sabina Eugenia

momoffuzzyfaces
02-15-2013, 02:42 PM
As a full fledged senior citizen now at 62, 60 never bothered me at all. It's just a number. I'm only one day older than I was yesterday after all. Of course, I never have even admitted to being middle aged yet, so that might be why. The birthday that really got me down and made me cry for days was my 25th one. I have no reason why.

Now, I don't really pay attention to birthdays. Just try to take my life one day at a time and enjoy it as much as possible. I love the small things like sunshine coming through my window and warming my shoulders, or the cat babies I have now. When I start to worry, I play Scarlet O'Hara and promise to worry about it tomorrow!!! Then put it off!!! :love:

robinh
02-15-2013, 06:17 PM
I see any day on this side of the sod as a FABULOUS day - even if has crappy tendencies.

My 59th birthday is next month. 60 is looming closer for me. I'm working at making 60 a positive thing. I've decided I'm going to throw myself a birthday party. The last party I had was my 4th birthday. My reasoning - my father died at 44; my mother died at 59 and my sister died at 58. If I make it to 60 (which I plan to do); I will have outlived 3 close relatives.

My only hope is that another of my sisters (who just this week was just diagnosed with stomach cancer) will be alive to attend my party.

Pinot's Mom
02-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Yes, to borrow from Elyse, kiss the kitties, savor the memory of your beloved MooShoo and the others who are waiting at the Bridge, and count your blessings.

Elyse?

phesina
02-15-2013, 07:55 PM
EEK! Oh, I'm so sorry, Maggie.. Somehow I read that one as Cassiesmom..

Not the first time I've mixed you two up, but I thought I had you both down by now.

Chalk it up to old age (encroaching senility?), I guess.

Meanwhile, I'll fix that right now..

cassiesmom
02-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Yes, to borrow from Elyse, kiss the kitties, savor the memory of your beloved MooShoo and the others who are waiting at the Bridge, and count your blessings. You have done so much, brought about so much good, dear lady, and have so much more to do!

Elyse?

Elyse here. First, i have to admit I "un-corrected" Phesina's post :). Second, I couldn't agree more. :love: :love: :love:

carole
02-16-2013, 04:12 AM
aww Donna my dear friend, it is merely a number, i will let ya know when i get there hon, but seriously, i felt a bit that way when i turned the big 50,but i am well and truly over it, hey i am looking forward to getting my senior discounts, like cheap movies, food etc etc, so think on the bright side,i got a little ways to go yet, but time sure flies,i think i just feel gosh i cannot believe i am getting that old,as long as my mind stays good that makes me happy, the body well it is well and truly on the way out, lol, anyhow hope you are feeling a bit better about it all now.HUGS:love::love::)

Catty1
02-16-2013, 09:58 AM
"It's not how old you are - it's how you are old." :):love:
3 1/2 more years and I'll be with ya!

Louie and me
02-16-2013, 10:40 AM
When I reached sixty I was working at a job I loved with people I loved. I had my precious Louie and good health. Sixty didn't bother me at all. Even sixty five was OK although I had had to retire and wasn't looking forward to retirement other than being able to spend more time with Louie.
In the last three years I lost Louie, then I began having problems at home and last year health problems began to creep into my life. It was almost a shock to realize that this year I will be 70 and not in the greatest of health. My Grandmother died in her sleep at 93 having had no health problems and I always imagined I would go the same way. Maybe I will, but I'm not looking forward to my 70s right now to be honest.

momcat
02-18-2013, 11:55 AM
There's nothing to be upset about, Donna - 60 is the new 40! If I felt as upbeat and positive when I hit 30 as I felt when I hit 60 maybe some things would have gone in a different direction. No regrets though. At 63 I'm getting used to being eligible for all those senior discounts. When I hit 64 in June I intend to tell everyone that I liked 32 so much I decided to do it again.

moosmom
02-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks and advice.

As always, it passed. I really don't FEEL 60. I actually feel in my mid 40s. Yeah, I know, you'll have what I'm having, right??? :p

I had the exact same reaction when I turned 30. There I was on my birthday, pregnant and snowed in from a storm we had the night before. 2 feet of snow we got and I sat like a baby in my pjs crying into my pillow for 2 days.

As my friend's 90 year old father told me at his surprize party on Saturday, "I'm just one more year closer to death."

phesina
02-18-2013, 12:27 PM
As my friend's 90 year old father told me at his surprize party on Saturday, "I'm just one more year closer to death."

Aren't we all!

redbird
02-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Actually I'm closer to 70 than 60 right now and I am wondering how I'll feel when I reach 70 in two years. Seventy just feels so old but I don't feel old. When I think of not wanting to get older, we have to realize the alternative. I don't want to be pushing up daises yet56044

Barbara
02-19-2013, 08:40 AM
30 was bad, 40 was worse but 50 just didn't matter for me. Now it's not too many years until I reach 60 and I hope it will be like becoming 50. Of course I feel like 18. I wish there was no mirrors - so I could still believe I am ;)

Bengalz
02-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Donna,

I am happy to hear to you don't "feel" 60 - and think that's the key to getting older "in years". You have a young heart and a young attitude - hold that close and take good care of yourself:love:.

When I turned 60 I stopped colouring my hair and started working out :D. This year I will be 62, have long silver grey hair and am in pretty good shape for an "older" woman;). Don't let it beat you - appreciate knowing that you have got this far and have the knowledge and experience of the many seasons of your life. Think about what you want to do tomorrow and the things you have yet to enjoy and learn from. Most importantly take the time to care for yourself - it helps:love::love:.

Hugs and Happy Birthday!!