PDA

View Full Version : Crocodile Tears

happylabs
02-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Okay, I never knew the true meaning of this phrase "crocodile tears" !!!

I use this quite often and now I find out from another PT member that it means "an insincere display of grief". :eek: :o :(

Sorry to anyone I may have offended. When I used this term in the past I meant with sincere sadness. I will have to come up with a new term.

Karen
02-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Just goes to show you, we all learn something every day!

chocolatepuppy
02-14-2013, 05:05 AM
I didn't know that's what crocodile tears meant. :o I never used the term but have heard it.

pomtzu
02-14-2013, 07:14 AM
I knew the meaning, and I saw where the term was used by Happylabs. I didn't correct her since I knew she couldn't have meant it for the true meaning - probably meant it more like "big" tears. She would never have said something inappropriate or hurtful on purpose. Sometimes we all open mouth and insert foot without meaning to or even realizing that we're doing it.

sasvermont
02-14-2013, 07:15 AM
I knew it as being used mostly when dealing with little children when they are crying to make you think that the situation is dire. Not fake tears, but large, obvious tears...... must more than necessary for the time or situation. So, yes, I guess you were using the expression incorrectly, but I doubt if anyone was offended by it.

Many people, including me, use expressions incorrectly or mix them up. Not to worry!

;)

Taz_Zoee
02-14-2013, 09:32 AM
I knew it as being used mostly when dealing with little children when they are crying to make you think that the situation is dire. Not fake tears, but large, obvious tears...... must more than necessary for the time or situation. So, yes, I guess you were using the expression incorrectly, but I doubt if anyone was offended by it.

Many people, including me, use expressions incorrectly or mix them up. Not to worry!

;)

This is how I thought of it as well. I didn't realize it was an insincere display of grief. Oops.

Randi
02-14-2013, 10:06 AM
I noticed it, too, but I knew she couldn't have meant it for the true meaning - probably meant it more like "big" tears, as Pomtzu said. So no offense. :)

lizbud
02-14-2013, 11:19 AM
I knew the meaning, and I saw where the term was used by Happylabs. I didn't correct her since I knew she couldn't have meant it for the true meaning - probably meant it more like "big" tears. She would never have said something inappropriate or hurtful on purpose. Sometimes we all open mouth and insert foot without meaning to or even realizing that we're doing it.

Ditto. I knew what your intent was.

happylabs
02-15-2013, 01:37 PM
I noticed it, too, but I knew she couldn't have meant it for the true meaning - probably meant it more like "big" tears, as Pomtzu said. So no offense. :)

Whew! Amen. I was hoping I did not offend you. You know how I felt about your sweet Fister, orange kitties and all kitties in general. :love: :love: :love:

Randi
02-15-2013, 02:44 PM
I have made some blunders, too, and probably still do. ;)