PDA

View Full Version : Too much time on my hands

sasvermont
02-03-2013, 04:05 PM
A neighbor asked me to make a few sweater/coats for her chickens. I made them from polar fleece and added buttons to the back. So, do you think I might have too much time on my hands, that I would say yes to doing such a thing? See photos.

When do you think the white coats will be here for me?

:eek::eek:

Karen
02-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Hee hee, how very cute! Did the chickens hold still for measurements?

sasvermont
02-03-2013, 04:21 PM
The jackets have three different settings so that they will fit just about every size. So, no fittings necessary. The man of the house was in charge of catching and installing the jackets and managed to catch only two of the chickens so far! :0 Isn't this the funniest thing?!!

pomtzu
02-03-2013, 04:44 PM
You might be on to something here. There just might be a market for these and you could get rich quick! :cool:

Lillycat
02-03-2013, 04:47 PM
........and so nice for the chickens......

Karen
02-03-2013, 05:01 PM
You do know I cohost a Chicken show for All Paws Pet Talk now ... we may have to mention you!

lizbud
02-03-2013, 05:40 PM
This is soooooo funny.:D:D I might think you were kidding, if you hadn't showed us pictures of chickens wearing them.LOL :D
Do they really make a difference to the hens? Does it keep them warmer?

zippy-kat
02-03-2013, 10:24 PM
This is hysterical! It reminds me of these guys:

Scottish Ponies in Cardigans (http://www.horsenation.com/2013/01/25/news-scotland-welcomes-tourists-with-ponies-in-cardigans/)

Perhaps, your next project? lol

Barbara
02-04-2013, 05:00 AM
Looks as if plenty of animals out there are waiting for clothes. Orion says it's ok with him as long as he has not to wear a fair-isle sweater.

Freedom
02-04-2013, 07:38 AM
I did not know chickens need jackets. But if they do, I'm sure the love YOUR jackets BEST! WOO HOO!

catnapper
02-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Thank you for my morning laugh! That just cracked me up to no end :D :)

I wouldn't say that you have too much time on your hands -- you just might have a million dollar idea instead!

Freckles
02-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Google "Sweaters for Chickens". I was surprised.

mon
02-04-2013, 12:22 PM
There is no such thing as "too much time on your hands" . Life is fairly short, do whatever you please as long as it's kind . The wee coats are lovely. I'd buy some if I had chickens! Adorable :D Carry on!

moosmom
02-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Lock the doors and go hide in the closet cuz, THEY'RE COMING AFTER YOU!!!! While you're measuring them, try and find out the andser to the elusive "Which came first, the chicken or the egg" controversy.:p:p

Is this for REAL???:confused:

happylabs
02-04-2013, 05:26 PM
I love it!

BitsyNaceyDog
02-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Very nice! I have a hen who I kept a chicken "apron" on to protect her back from our rooster. I don't think I ever took a picture of her wearing it though. Our rooster has since passed and she no longer needs to wear it.

sasvermont
02-04-2013, 07:39 PM
From what I have been told, chickens do get cold, but real farmers leave a heat lamp/light on for them and that seems to be just enough to keep them warm. My neighbors have only four chickens and were bringing them inside their home (in the basement) when the temperature dropped below zero. I felt sorry for them. I am not a fan of chickens - love to eat them, but don't find them all that pleasant to be around. It took me a few hours to get the pattern just so and then cut the polar fleece... and lastly, sew on the buttons. Most of the buttons match! After all, these are GIRLS!

I have not heard if David, the chicken's owner, ever captured the other two to put on their coats. The temps are going low again, so we may or may not be having chicken for dinner some time soon. ;)

I did this coat thing as a hoot. I am not really that nice of a neighbor!