PDA

View Full Version : In today's New York Times: Killer Cats

phesina
01-30-2013, 02:31 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/science/that-cuddly-kitty-of-yours-is-a-killer.html?src=me&ref=general

This is discouraging. Now more outcry to kill feral cats rather than TNR them. And the same idiots will keep letting their pet cats roam outdoors.

Karen
01-30-2013, 03:41 PM
It is sad. True, but sad. The number of feral cats in some places is heart-wrenching, and it is all the fault of human stupidity.

phesina
01-30-2013, 06:03 PM
This was also brought up on the NBC Evening News tonight.

Catty1
01-30-2013, 06:31 PM
TNR and people keeping their cats indoors are some answers to this.

My concern is some nutbar 'fixing' this in their own way.:mad::(

phesina
01-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Yup, Candace, that's what I'm afraid of too.

smokey the elder
01-31-2013, 08:09 AM
A piece like this is not helpful. Among the billions of animals killed by cats are vermin. This should be a call to be more aggressive with TNR and encouraging owners to keep cats indoors. They are predators...what did they expect?

catmandu
01-31-2013, 09:18 AM
That is true what did they expect,if you leave any animal on their own they are going to survive the best way that they can and Cats being the supreme hunter are going to hunt.
I sadly have noticed this with Terrance , Gregory and Joey.
When I let Mr Purr Michael out years ago he and Scratchy and another Cat killed a neighbor's Easter Bunny!!!:eek:
That is sad that Cats will take the blame for poor Guardians.:(

pomtzu
01-31-2013, 10:21 AM
A commentator on ABC added a touch of humor to this, when it was noted how many birds are killed by cats each year. His comment - "how many birds do humans kill and eat each year?" - in the wild and farm raised!

Yes - the problem is with people, and not cats. As long as kitty isn't fixed and is allowed to roam, then the issue will just escalate. :mad:

Barbara
01-31-2013, 11:18 AM
It was here in the magazines too- and here most people by far think a cat has to go outside. :(

phesina
01-31-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm really scared this is going to get dirtbags who don't like cats anyway to torture/kill as many as they can get ahold of outdoors.

phesina
01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
A commentator on ABC added a touch of humor to this, when it was noted how many birds are killed by cats each year. His comment - "how many birds do humans kill and eat each year?" - in the wild and farm raised!

Yes - the problem is with people, and not cats. As long as kitty isn't fixed and is allowed to roam, then the issue will just escalate. :mad:

EXCELLENT! Thank you, ABC commentator and Ellie. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

phesina
01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Here's the Times today with an editorial on the subject. Their recommendation as a solution for feral predators: ".. euthanasia for feral cats as the unpalatable response to reducing the wildlife slaughter."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/opinion/cats-soft-and-deadly.html?nl=opinion&emc=edit_ty_20130131

momoffuzzyfaces
01-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Sure kill all the cats then complain when mice and rats over run their homes. Do they never think that they help keep other animals from over populating the world? sheesh

If they want to kill preditors, they should start with certain humans. :love:

phesina
01-31-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm with you there, MoFF.