PDA

View Full Version : Good thoughts for Myndi plz

pomtzu
01-29-2013, 06:37 AM
I'm going to call her vet today and make a senior appointment for a good going over. Having just turned 17, I do tend to worry more about her - even the small things.

Her coat is looking ratty (I'm going to give her a good comb out today), and she has been losing hair in her front "pits". I noticed this a couple of months ago and started giving her a sprinkle of Gold Bond Medicated Power there each day - just in case there was something going on. The area isn't red or irritated - just balding - and it seems to be spreading. And she is so bony and has lost muscle mass, even tho she's eating like a little pig! She gets 2 full size meals (morning & night), plus a smaller noontime lunch, and when I weighed her yesterday, she was down to 9lbs. I suppose I should expect weight loss just because of her age, but I want to make sure nothing is going on. She's happy and alert and her usual spunky self, so maybe I'm just worried about nothing.

She does take a low dose thyroid med and has for years, since her thyroid is somewhat sluggish. I'm thinking maybe she needs new lab work and an adjustment.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Whatever is going on, I would sure appreciate some positive vibes sent in her direction, please.

Queen of Poop
01-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Hoping that Myndi is just fine and showing nothing more than the signs of being a very senior doggie. :love::love::love:

cassiesmom
01-29-2013, 08:23 AM
I will send prayers and good thoughts for Myndi! :love: :love: :love:

Freedom
01-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Hair loss is one symptom of a hypoactive thyroid, so that could be the thing.

But eating and losing weight, that is not a low thyroid.

Paws crossed the lab work shows something easily treated!

Felicia's Mom
01-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Sending prayers and positive thoughts to Myndi and you.

Asiel
01-29-2013, 10:47 AM
No ideas at this time-- older dogs tend to lose weight,mostly muscle mass but if she's got a great appetite it does seem odd that her weight is going down too. Glad you're taking her in, no one ever knows what could be lurking and the earlier we get on top of it the better for us and our furry friends.
Could Myndi have a case of Alopecia like some older people get? Nothing serious, just hair loss, probably from hormonal changes or maybe from the stress of losing Sparky?

In any case, keeping my fingers crossed and hope you'll have good news for us after the vet check--- good luck and hugs to Myndi :love::love::love:

Lilith Cherry
01-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Lots of prayers and love for Myndi... she is one of PT's special ladies! :love:

Karen
01-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Prayers for clear answers, and a good visit with the White Coats!

ChrisH
01-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Prayers and good thoughts on the way for sweet little Myndi.

lizbud
01-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Prayers & positive thoughts for Myndi from Indy. My Maggie takes a thyroid med every day too. I get the two isms mixed up.
I don't remember if she had hypo or hyper type:confused: but she has blood work done every 6mos or so, to check her levels.

I hope you get a appt soon so you can question the Vet about what's normal for Myndi, and what isn't.

chocolatepuppy
01-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Prayers headed out for Myndi.

krazyaboutkatz
01-30-2013, 01:51 AM
Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to Myndi.:love: I hope it's nothing serious.

Alysser
01-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Pom, I don't know if you ever "met" my Sassy when your first came on PT. But when she turned about 8, I'd say she lost a ton of weight, nothing was wrong, but she was just extremely thin. The Vet did bloodwork and some other tests but she was healthy. It just happens as they age, sometimes it can be a cause of concern though, especially in a smaller breeds that barely weight anything as it is. Sassy went from about 12 pounds, to 7. I am not an expert on poms though but I guess she's about the same weight. Since she is down so much, it could be her thyroids, I'd check into a medication adjustment for sure.

FYI, Sassy only lived till ten though anyway, but Myndi sure has her beat already wow!

pomtzu
01-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Alysser - yes - I remember Sassy - but only toward the end. Myndi had been as heavy as 12lbs in her much younger days, but she normally goes around 10 to 10.5. Of course my digital scale only registers in half pounds, so she could be closer to 9.5lbs which wouldn't be too bad. I'm thinking (and hoping) that it's just an aging issue, but the hair loss probably is thyroid related. I should know what's what after her lab work.

She has her vet appointment this Friday at 11 a.m., so I'll check back in with everyone when I know more. Please keep those positive vibes and prayers coming for my old girl. ;)

pomtzu
02-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Just an FYI - I had to reschedule Myndi's appointment for Monday at 1 p.m.

It has been snowing all morning and so far we haven't seen a plow, and my little car does not do well in the snow. No sense risking it - better to be safe than sorry.

So I'll be back with an update Monday afternoon. :)

kaycountrygal
02-01-2013, 09:18 AM
I just read the entire thread (my computer was out for a couple of days). I am sorry that Myndi is losing hair and some weight. The lab results will give you and the vet a good idea of what's happening and hopefully there will be a med to help her if needed. I'll keep checking back. I just read that her lab is now set for Monday because of snow. I agree that there's no need to risk a car accident so stay inside and be safe.

Lilith Cherry
02-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Lots of love to you and Myndi.:love:We hope you have a good weekend and that the weather is okay for Monday.

Freedom
02-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Oh and I was here checking for an update! OK I"ll wait till Monday; not that I have a choice, lol!!

pomtzu
02-05-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm back with Myndi's update, and happy to report that everything looks good. Doc said she is in amazingly good shape for a girl her age. Doc was only able to draw enough blood for her thyroid testing and not enough to do more, and she didn't want to stick her twice. She called me with the results this morning, and her levels are perfect and no need to increase her dosage. I read an article on Poms that said the old ones are very prone to developing bald spots, so we're just chalking it up to Pomeranian Pattern Baldness :eek: , since there is no other medical reason for it. Her stool specimen was negative for blood, so more good news there. And she has actually gained some weight - she was 9.2 in December, and 9.4 yesterday. The boniness is just loss of muscle mass which can be expected with aging, since she is much less active than she used to be. Couldn't do any test for kidney function since Myn didn't want to give up enough blood, but she's not drinking huge amounts of water like she was when first diagnosed with "aging" kidneys, and then put on the K/D food, and her appetite remains great, so doc will let that test go until her next visit.

So overall, she's great, with no serious issues to be dealt with at this time. Thanks again for sending out those PT prayers for her. :love:

ChrisH
02-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Such good news. :D Please give your little girl some kisses from me.

Freedom
02-05-2013, 03:36 PM
What a good report! Hooray for Myndi!!

Karen
02-05-2013, 04:23 PM
we're just chalking it up to Pomeranian Pattern Baldness : That gave me a chuckle, sorry Myndi!

So overall, she's great, with no serious issues to be dealt with at this time. Thanks again for sending out those PT prayers for her. :love:

Such a good report, thanks for letting us all know!

chocolatepuppy
02-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Good to hear Miss Myndi is doing well!:)

Lilith Cherry
02-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Oh cheers cheers cheers:D I am only just able to read this as I had injections in my eyes yesterday (eek!) Well done Myndi girl we are so happy to hear that you are happy and healthy! :love:

pomtzu
02-08-2013, 05:16 AM
Thank you everyone. No one is happier than I am about the good vet visit. :)

Alysser
02-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Sorry for the late reply but I am glad she's all good and healthy!:love:

cassiesmom
02-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Dear Myndi --- Yesterday's Dog of the Day sure looked a lot like YOU! Could you please have your mum give you some hugs and snuggles from me, because you are her Dog of the Day every day. It says so in her signature. And I am so glad you are a healthy lady! Gentle *kisses* to you, sweety!

pomtzu
02-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Thank you Auntie Elyse. Mom delivered the hugs, snuggles and kisses. And wasn't that funny??? - some people were almost fooled by that picture of Elsa yesterday, and thought at first that it was me. That's okay - I sure don't mind the extra thoughts and attention. :)
Sending doggie kisses to you and Cassie Cat too. :love::love:

Randi
02-08-2013, 11:23 AM
I have Fister on my mind, so I didn't reply either. :( Glad to hear that Myndy is back and okay. :) I think the K/D food must taste good, probably because it has more fat in it. Fister got that lately, and liked it to begin with. Not sure of the difference in cat and dog food, though.

pomtzu
02-08-2013, 12:11 PM
I have Fister on my mind, so I didn't reply either. :( Glad to hear that Myndy is back and okay. :) I think the K/D food must taste good, probably because it has more fat in it. Fister got that lately, and liked it to begin with. Not sure of the difference in cat and dog food, though.

Thank you Randi - and I completely understand. For quite some time after I lost Sparky, I had a difficult time even coming here, let alone responding. And the K/D - I add veggies to it to keep her interested - tho she does pull the finicky act from time to time.